Rebuilding the World

By LaEsperia

With the gods and goddesses of Olympus in another row, Hades loses his patience and opens the underworld caus... More

Rebuilding the World
1 What?!
2 Sacrifice
3 Gearing Up!
4 What we left behind
5 The Girl of My Dreams
6 Zombie Killing; A new sport
7 The Prophecy
8 Waiting...
9 Beauty and Brains
10 The goddess of the hunt
11 Now what?
12 Camp Makiling
13 New Friends?
14 Home
15 The Plan
17 Majella's Camp Life
18 The Demigods of War
19 The Son Of Hecate
20 Last Laugh
21 Weakness
22 The Cause of the War
23 Murderous
24 Dreams
25 Under Control
26 Party Hard!
27 Missing
28 Kidnapped
29 Headaches
30 Curse and Counter Curses
31 Relieved
32 Girls Day Out
33 The Hunters of Artemis
34 Capture the Flag
35 Sudden Death
36 First Sighting
37 Invitation
38 Hiking
39 The God of War
40 Olympus Again
41 Used
42 Betrayal
43 Decisions
44 The Fall
Epilogue

16 Majella's Duties

270 6 0
By LaEsperia

“Nice dress Princess” I whispered to Jean’s ear.

She slapped my shoulder with an angry look. Yeah well, I always get that from her whenever I tease her dresses back in high school.

“Majella?” Carlene called out from the bamboo house’s front door.

“Yeah?” I shouted back at her because we’re almost out of the clearing.

“I’ll talk to you later!” she answered before going back into the house.

“What’s up with the two of you?” Jean asked.

“Nothing”

“Nothing? Holding hands and stuff, that’s nothing?” Jean asked, one eyebrow raised.

“She’s a little bit clingy, Carlene. She’s my best friend here in camp.”

“Yeah, I can see that. She pointed a knife on my throat yesterday after I left you, asking me why I’m with you.”

“She did what?!”

“She interrogated me so I answered her questions and she let me go.” Jean shrugged.

I face palmed in embarrassment. Carlene’s clingy; I mean, I understand why she’d go very protective on me and her friends and the camp but threatening Jean? She’s gone way overboard.

“I’ll talk to her.”

Jean stopped me.

“Majella, don’t. Zhane told me she’s protective because she lost everything before getting here. I understand her.” Jean said with a sad smile.

I couldn’t say anything. I want Carlene and Jean to be good friends, because they’re my friends and it seems that we’ll be spending a lot of time with each other’s company. Better have them in good terms because I would certainly not want to see a blood bath.

“Jean, I’m sorry if Carlene did that to you.”

“No biggie.” She answered.

When we got back to the cabins, the co-head councillors reported to me and to En.

“Wonder how that Cyclops got in.” En said, looking around the camp. The co-head councillors said they found no trace of the Cyclops’ tracks and how it got in.

“I would like to know that too.” I said

“Hey, Majella. You can go back to sleep if you like and we’ll take care of things around here.” Jimuel offered.

“I’d rather not. I’ll just go change and then I’ll look around the camp borders for clues.”

“You sure?” Jean asked a bit worried.

“Yeah, I’m sure.”

“You want me to go with you?” Jean asked.

“What, you’ll watch me change?” I joked

“No! Silly, I’ll go with you around the camp.” She laughed.

I’m glad that I can make her smile, the look in her face earlier when I dragged her away from her bed was kind of pitiful. She looked so scared and innocent of what was happening.

“That’s fine with me. Go change and meet me by the stables in a few minutes.”

We left the councillors in the middle of the field and I walked to my cabin.

I never really liked this place, it feels more like a temple than a cabin. I mean, marble? Seriously? With pillars and everything? I understand that whoever built Camp Makiling designed it after Camp Half Blood in New York but do they really have to make Zeus Cabin look like a temple? Don’t they understand that someone will live here and sleep here and not just pray or give tribute to their dad?! This is the reason I’d rather sleep in the forest by the lake, I feel more comfortable and at peace there. Although I usually sleep up in the branches because I know there are some monsters roaming the forest, I just took the risk of sleeping by the narra’s roots because I’m not sure Jean can climb the tree.

I quickly changed to my orange camp clothes and black camouflage pants. Then I gratefully pulled on my combat boots, the pair Carlene gave to me last Christmas. She knows that I hate wearing out my snickers and rubber shoes when I’m on a quest.

And speaking of Carlene, she came in the cabin again without knocking on the door.

“Hey,” she said with a sly smile.

“Learn to knock,” I said to her, tying my shoelaces.

“Okay then,” Carlene went out of the door with a smile and then knocked.

“Come in.” I said, smiling at her joke.

“There you go, I made you smile!” she said, sitting down with a slight jump on my bed. “Don’t be too serious.”

“Serious or not, nothing will change with my life. I’m still going to die.” I said to her, remembering the stupid prophecy.

“Everyone’s bound to die in the end, and yes there will be something different if you smile! You’ll live your life in a much optimistic way! And that’s better than being grumpy all the time.” Carlene said, cheering me up and pinching my cheeks.

“Okay, okay.” I pulled her hands away from my cheeks, “Anyways, Jean told me you pointed your knife at her yesterday.”

Carlene looked away, “I just thought –“

“Look, I understand that you’re just being protective. But Carlene, you can’t go pointing your knife at everyone I’ll go with!”

“She looks suspicious.” Carlene mumbled.

“Look who’s talking.”

Carlene pouted and I laughed. She’s intimidating and all, but she’s still childish in the inside.

“I’m going to look around camp for clues how the Cyclops got in, want to come with me?”

“Sure.”

“Jean’s coming with us.”

“Okay then!” Carlene smiled in agreement.

We walked to the stables with Carlene hugging my right arm. Well, she always does that so I guess nothing’s new. Jean is already there, waiting for us.

“Wow, you look stunning.” I said to Jean.

Because of Aphrodite’s blessing, Jean still has a perfect make up on her face and her green and pink dress is replaced by a normal looking orange camp shirt and pants, but it looks perfectly good on her.  As in really, really good on her. The knife I gave to her is hanging by a scabbard on her belt.

“Stop teasing me.”

“Hey Jean,” Carlene greeted her with a hug.

Jean looked a bit awkward with the hug and that made me smile.

“You two looks like you can hit it off, well, except for the knife thing yesterday.” I said to the two of them.

“YOU TOLD HER?!” Jean exclaimed, glaring at me.

“About that,” Carlene said to Jean, “I’m sorry if I threatened you yesterday.”

“It’s alright. Zhane told me you’re protective.”

“Yeah well, I can’t afford to lose anyone anymore. I lost everything before I came here.” Carlene explained, smiling at my direction.

The two of them smiled at each other.

“Okay then, let’s go?” I asked, breaking the silence.

We started walking to the Balete tree that marked the camp’s border. It’s kind of our own version of Thalia’s tree in Long Island but Maria Makiling’s the one maintaining the camp’s border for protection, the Balete tree is just kind of a marker.

“So, how did the two of you meet?” Jean asked as we hiked the small hill.

“Well, we met here in camp when we’re --?”

“Twelve years old.” Carlene completed for me.  “Gods, Majella your memory’s rusty!”

“Anyways, she hated me back then.” I said to Jean.

“Because you’re annoying.” Carlene glared at me.

“And you’re plain scary.”

“No I’m not!” Carlene rejected

“Yes you were! You almost stabbed me with your knife remember?”

“Because you teased my hair!”

“Which was very much weird you know,” I told Jean, “Dreadlocks with colourful beads. I thought she was from the Iris Cabin!”

“Dreadlocks?” Jean said, with an unbelieving look.

Carlene glared at me menacingly so I put my arm around her shoulders before she could even think of a curse to put on me. Trust me, no one would like that.

“But her hair’s better now.” I said with a smile.

“You two really are good friends.” Jean stated when we reached the Balete tree.

“Best friends” I corrected her.

I saw Carlene smile from the corner of my eye. I learned my lesson because the year before I left for college, I rejected what Carlene said about us being best friends and she cursed me. My socks kept on disappearing for a week until I shouted at the whole camp she’s my best friend.

“Hey, what’s that?” Carlene asked, pointing the Balete tree.

I tried to look closer and sure enough, the tree bore scratches.

“What the -?”

Suddenly a claw came slashing out from the tree’s branches, missing me by inches.

“Why do you always try to aim for the face?!” I shouted at the creature perched on the lower branches of the tree. It has a head of a man, a body of a lion and a spiked tail.

“Manticore.” Carlene said.

The Manticore roared and jumped down from the tree.

“You smell wonderful.” The manticore growled to Jean after sniffing the air.

“Why thank you!” Jean said sarcastically, brandishing her knife at the monster.

I put myself in between Jean and the monster, blocking the manticore’s attacks of hoping to get to Jean.

“Watch out!” Carlene shouted at me, my sword almost hit her because I swiped the monster’s paw away from Jean.

“Sorry!” I apologized to her.

Carlene mumbled a spell and roots grew from the ground and wrapped the manticore’s feet. The monster roared and flicked its tail, sending a missile to Carlene’s direction. I summoned air and blew the projectiles off course.

“Are you trying to kill me?!” Jean complained, the missile missing her head by inches.

“Sorry!” I apologized quickly. Gods, it’s hard to look after two people, I’m torn between protecting one of them and then turning to the other.

I heard Carlene chuckle from my back.

The manticore destroyed the roots holding its feet and pounced on me. I side stepped and stabbed it at the stomach. The monster exploded to dust.

“So much for a morning exercise.” Carlene said, watching the sun rise from the mountain.

I slumped to the Balete tree’s roots, exhausted from the fight. My wound ached at my side.

“You okay?” Jean asked, seeing me holding my side.

“I’m fine.” But my voice gave me away because it cracked.

“Let me check your wound.” Jean said, worried.

“What wound?” Carlene asked

“Majella fought Artemis the other day. Got stabbed.” Jean said, pulling my shirt up.

“Let me see.” Carlene said, moving closer.

Great, now I have two awesomely beautiful girls seeing my tummy. Jean carefully unwrapped the bandages I put on last night before I went to sleep.

“Majella, did you take your ambrosia?” Carlene asked, looking at my wound.

But before I can answer, Carlene poked my wound.

“THAT FREAKING HURTS YOU KNOW?!” I shouted at her.

Carlene and Jean just laughed at my reaction. I guess they can be good friends seeing how they’re treating me.

“Okay, sorry.” Carlene apologized seeing that I wasn’t happy about what she did.

“Let’s bring you to the Apollo campers.” Jean suggested.

“Nah, I’ll do it.” Carlene volunteered.

Jean moved to my side and Carlene placed her hand over my wound. She mumbled a few complicated ancient Greek words and her palm glowed. A few seconds and I felt relieved of the pain earlier.

“Better?” Carlene asked

“Way better, thanks.”

Carlene slumped beside me, exhausted with the magic.

“Let’s go back? We need to report to Maria Makiling that the border’s weakening.” I said.

“Let’s go.” Jean stood up and dusted the dirt off her pants.

I stood up too, but Carlene remained seated.

“Carry me,” she said to me in a tired voice, reaching out her hand.

I’m sure Carlene could walk back to camp but I can see that she just missed me and wants me to carry her. So I did, carrying her bridal style.

 “Gods, you’re heavy.” I said to Carlene.

Carlene let out a tired laugh and buried her face on my neck.

Jean smiled at us.

We walked back to camp in silence. I think Carlene fell asleep because she didn’t lift her head and hasn’t said anything.

“What happened to her?” Jayson asked when we reached the cabins.

“Just tired.” Jean answered.

“Okay.” Jayson said, "You need help carrying her?"

"Nah, I can handle her." I said

Jayson nodded and left us.

“I’ll wait for you outside.” Jean said to me when we reached the Hecate cabin.

I carried Carlene inside and her siblings watched me lay her gently down to her bed.

“Majella,” Carlene said weakly, grabbing my arm when I was about to leave. “Don’t leave me.”

She really does miss me.

“I can’t, I have to talk to Maria Makiling.” I said to her in a low voice. Her siblings left the cabin to give us some privacy.

“Don’t leave.” Carlene begged, a tear escaped her eye.

She was the reason why I didn't want to leave camp in the first place. But then, I wanted to live my life to the fullest. I wanted to live my mortal life and not just my demigod life. We fought about that because Carlene doesn't want to go to college with me. But I made my decision and I left, promising I'll return every summer like I used to.

“I’ll come back after I talk to Maria Makiling. That okay with you?”

“Promise?”

“I swear on the River Styx.”

Carlene nodded in satisfaction and went back to sleep. I sat there, beside her bed for a whole minute, staring at her face. Gods, I missed this girl.

Sure, I have other friends, but she's different. She knows everything about me. She's my best friend.

I kissed Carlene on the forehead then went out of the cabin.

“Let’s go?” Jean asked, joining me by the door.

We walked to the bamboo house in silence.

“Someone told me you two went on a quest.” Jean started.

“Yeah, we went with Elijah to Malate to stop a rampaging Cyclops there.”

“Who’s Elijah?” Jean asked

“Elijah Kenway, he’s from the Hades cabin.”

“I haven’t seen him around here.”

“Of course you won’t. He’s not here; he’s one of those who are fighting in the war.” I said.

“Oh.” Was all that Jean could say.

I wonder where they are now. When the war broke out some demigods in camp chose their sides and fought each other. Some of them tried to recruit me, but heck, I don't want to be in any war. My life itself is already a war I'm fighting on my own. Better not get myself in something bigger. Good thing they didn’t involve the camp in the war.

We reached the bamboo house and found Maria Makiling putting flowers to a vase in the living room.

“Oh, Majella, Jean what is it?” she asked, turning around to face us.

“It’s about the Cyclops attack.” I said

“What about it?”

“Well, we went out to the Balete tree to investigate and a manticore attacked us there.” I relayed to her the story.

“Oh, are any of you hurt?” Maria Makiling asked.

“No,” Jean answered.

“But I think the camp borders are getting weak.” I said.

Maria Makiling looked at me sadly. “Yes, the border’s slowly disappearing.”

“What?!” Jean exclaimed.

“The Olympians told me not to strengthen it anymore.” Maria Makiling confessed.

“Why?!” I said.

“They said we have to start building the city and it’s a waste of energy trying to hide the demigods in Camp”

“Why haven’t you told us sooner?” I asked Maria Makiling in frustration.

Sure, I love the goddess. She’s been a lovely advisor and she’s like my second mother, but sometimes she’s so gentle, caring and loving that she can hide something dreadful to us because she fears it may hurt our feelings. And I think she’s done it again.

“I don’t want you to leave camp! You’re all safe here! I tried to strengthen the borders but I can’t!” She said

“Look, Maria Makiling. I know you just want us to be safe, but you should have told us earlier! We could have prevented the Cyclops from entering the camp! Look at what it’s done, it almost killed Jean!”

“I’m sorry.” The goddess apologized.

I let out a sigh.

“I’ll warn En and order a patrol to guard the camp.” I said. “We’ll hold another council meeting later after lunch.”

We left the bamboo house after that.

“You’re a great leader, you know?” Jean said to me.

“So I’ve been told.” I said, “It comes out naturally as a daughter of Zeus.”

“Majella?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you hate being a demigod?” Jean asked.

“What?”

“It’s just that you sound so bitter when you mention your quests or your dad.” Jean said, not meeting my look.

“It’s just that my life as a demigod hasn’t been easy.” I said to her, “Sure, it has some perks like having a sword, being able to summon lightning, controlling the winds. But my life was never been easy, Jean; I get sent out to quests that can almost kill me, everyone looks up to me as a leader and that’s just frustrating because I never liked responsibility!”

Jean didn’t say anything.

“Sometimes I want to live a normal life, but then, as a daughter of Zeus; nothing will ever be normal to me.” I said, stopping in my tracks.

“Majella..” Jean looked at me with concern on her eyes. She tried to hold me but I shrugged her off.

“I’ll see you later.” I said, leaving Jean at the middle of the field.

I walked to the Hecate cabin and slumped to the floor beside Carlene’s bed.

“You’re back.” She said groggily.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked.

"Nope."

“Scoot over, I’m sleepy.” I said to her.

Carlene smiled and moved to give me some space.

Continue Reading