33 The Hunters of Artemis

We almost crashed into the clearing with our fast descent. Majella got off before Cielo even landed properly and dashed to help the huntresses fight the pack of hellhounds. Menea stayed in the air, shooting arrows at the hellhounds from the top.

There were about thirty hellhounds, all looking hungry and dangerous and vicious. Majella danced with them, hacking and stabbing and swinging her sword like she was dancing the most complicated and dangerous dance ever choreographed.

“HEY! WATCH OUT!” A girl who seemed to be fourteen pushed me aside to save me from a bounding hellhound. She shot a few arrows at it and it disintegrated with a puff.

“MAY!” I heard Majella’s voice. The girl huntress who saved me turned around.

“WHAT?!”

“Oh, nothing!” Majella laughed, continuing her complicated monster hacking dance.

I noticed that the girl Majella called May had a bleeding gash on her left shoulder, her silver jacket glistening with fresh blood. I got into action, stabbing a few hellhounds myself, keeping watch over Majella and May.

It was over in what felt like an hour. Nicole slashed at the last hellhound with an exhausted smile on her face.

“May?” Nicole approached the huntress who collapsed on the ground.

“Damn it, am I really seeing things correctly?” May complained from the ground. Her eyes seemed a bit unfocused, like she was on the brink of fainting. “Majella? Nicole?”

“It’s us, don’t worry. We’ll fix you up in a jiffy.” Majella said.

Menea landed beside us, her Pegasus neighing.

“Guys? Nerizza needs help here!” Zhane called out from across the clearing. She’s kneeling beside a huntress who looks like twelve.

“I’ll help!” Marielle volunteered, jogging to them while fumbling over her backpack in search of nectar and ambrosia.

I just looked around, everyone else seemed to be sitting on the ground and taking a rest. Only a few are injured and they are quickly being taken care of.

“Majella! Damn you, how did you find us?!” May asked, she was sitting upright, supported by Nicole.

“Azula brought Jem to the camp. I got worried so we went to find you.” Majella answered.

“Jem, where is he?”

“Jimuel and the others took care of him back in Ierotheon.” Nicole answered.

“Ierotheon?”

“The city we’re building at the base of Mt. Banahaw.” Majella provided.

“Oh, so you named it Sanctuary of the gods.” May quickly translated. Okay, I’ve got to admit that was fast, she quickly earned my respect. I haven’t known the meaning of Ierotheon until they translated it for us.

“Yeah, Majella thought of it.” Mene said, joining the group along with another huntress looking grim.

“What more can you expect from the great Majella,” May teased.

“Oh c’mon!” Majella complained, but there was a smile plastered over her face like she knew May was joking.

The other huntress behind Menea scoffed and Majella heard her.

“Hi there Blessie,” Majella smiled.

“Hey,” The girl named Blessie said with a growl.

We took a rest for a while, Majella and the others talking, joking and laughing with the huntresses. They attended to those who are hurt, May’s shoulder was quickly bandaged. I kept away, feeling out of place.