Lumos

By draninator

Elvira Steele was a late-bloomer. Her parents were worried she'd be the first squib in their Pureblood herita... More

1| Chocolate Frogs
2| Venomous Tentacula
3| Polyjuice Potion
4| Half-Blooded
5| Slug Club
6| Felix Felicis
7| Christmas Party
8| Finite
9| Butterbeer
10| Markings
11| Harmonia Nectere
12| Vanishing Cabinet
13| Cold Steele
14| Wheezing Wizards
15| Borgin and Burkes
16| Blue Spells
17| It's Dark Inside
18| Hidden Reasons
19| The Blond Boy
20| Chaos and Destruction
21| Malfoy's Manor
22| Obliviate
23| Useless Prophecies
24| The Leaky Cauldron
25| New Skin
26| Breathe
27| The Dursleys
28| Silver Heirloom
30| Seven Potters
31| Weaslove
32| The Missing Sword
33| Happy Days
34| 12 Grimmauld Place
35| Scars and Dark Marks
36| Night Shopping
37| Creeping Kreachers
38| Floo Powder
39| Knockturn Alley
40| Legilemens
41| Yule Ball
42 | Occlumency
43 | The Ministry
44 | Occamy
45 | The Locket
46 | Professors and Nonexistent Plans
47 | The Signal
48 | Cruciatus Curse
49 | The Return to Hogwarts
50 | The House Elf
51 | Grindelwald

29| Veritaserum Vials

416 29 2
By draninator

If you would've asked me what I wanted, I'd answer with this: all I wanted to do was sit down with the lovely twins and just have a nice laugh at their immature but hilarious jokes, and listen to tales of their latest pranks and shenanigans on innocent passersby.

But noooo.

No one cared what I wanted. All they needed was to see Hermione and Ron's wands raised and everyone raised theirs. Well, not everyone. Just Fletcher. But still. Their looks said it all.

"Wands down," Harry ordered. "Nice to see all of you, but no one's attacking anyone." The three of them reluctantly lowered their wands.

"Harry, a word," Hermione said through clenched teeth. She glanced at me. "Privately." Harry seemed almost fed up.

"Make it quick," Lupin said, his eyes meeting mine, and then flickering back to Harry. "We've got things to discuss."

When the golden trio disappeared, I headed towards the kitchen to be alone for a while.

Why did they need so many people just to move Harry from one place to another? I tried to map out a plan, but nothing made sense. The only logical explanation would've been that they'd brought a large number of people to fight off possible Death Eaters, but it just seemed to easy.

"What have you done now?" two voices said in unison, on either side of me. I jumped, startled, nearly dropping the glass of water in my hand.

I let out a sigh of relief when I realized it was just the Weasley twins.

"What do you mean?" I asked, seeing the glass down on the counter. I turned to face them.

"Ron's been pissed every time Mum mentioned you at home," Fred (or so I guessed) explained.

"She grew fond of you. Said you were a good example of a not-gone-bad Slytherin', she said," George continued for his brother. I sighed.

"Harry blames me for Dumbledore's death because I technically could have stopped it. I mean, why hide it now. The three of them despise me anyways."

"They do not,"they said in unison, frowning. "Snape killed Dumbledore. Everyone knows that. "

"Yeah, but I could've-"

"What, fought a professional Death Eater-slash-former-teacher-slash-current-headmaster of Hogwarts off singlehandedly?" Fred raised an eyebrow.

"Nuh-uh, we didn't think so," they said.

Oh God. I loved them.

"Thank you. I don't feel nearly as horrible anymore," I said gratefully. "One day, I'll repay the two of you for all the joy you brought into my miserable life."

"Nonsense," they batted their hands as if waving the silly idea away.

George leaned closer to my ear, as if telling me a secret. "What kind of a payment?" he whispered. Fred elbowed him. "I was joking!" George held up his hands. I laughed, and he winked at me.

All fell silent when Ron, Harry, and Hermione walked into the kitchen.

"We'll see you later," the twins said, giving me a little wave and walking off to leave me alone with the golden three.

"What's the verdict?" I asked, leaning forward, my arms resting across the table.

"Look, Elvira," Hermione began first, stepping forward. "Ginny said-"

I hadn't even thought about Ginny, the day I'd left her stranded and apparated away with Malfoy. I hadn't even explained myself, partly because I didn't think I'd ever see them again.

"Wait. Ginny? What did she say?"

"Elvira it's clear to us you're friends with Malfoy, a Death-"

"Yes, he's a Death Eater," I sneered, heat raising to my head. "So what? Just because he is one doesn't mean I'm gathering information to give him. If he's my friend, I chose him for a reason. The three of you need to stop thinking you're better than everyone else and are obliged to make all the decisions, because the reality is you're not. This war is bigger than you, so you should just accept whoever is offering help!" I bellowed. I walked around the table, keeping eye contact with all three of them (yes it's possible) and exited the kitchen, making my way to the front door.

Please call me back, was all I was thinking. This is my last chance . . .

Fred and George Weasley walked down the steps.

"Harry, nice room-" they began, but stopped short when they saw me storming out.

"Well, have they kicked you out?" I heard one of them ask.

"What does it look like, Fred?" I muttered, turning the doorknob.

"I'm George," he corrected. "The nicer one."

"I can't argue with that," Fred shrugged.

Before I could step out the door, I heard a clunk.

Clunk. Clunk.

"Don't move," Moody said. "I have enhanced seeing, yes, but excellent hearing." I turned to him as his eye swiveled in its artificial socket. The scars in his face were admittedly intimidating, even more so than his matted blond hair. "There's a certain something something always carry with me." He reached into his pocket, shuffling through what seemed like many pockets. When he pulled out the vial, I nearly dropped to my knees. I swallowed weakly.

"Veritaserum," we said at the same time.

"You speak the truth and only the truth." Mad-eye's eye was dead set on me.

"Ah, Elvira, don't do it," one of the twins called, still standing in the stairs, leaning over the railing. "It's not worth it."

"For the record, we believe you," George tried to assure me. I felt a blush creeping to my cheeks. Had everyone heard my meltdown?

"Yeah, the three of them need to shut up a bit. They don't rule the world," Fred joked, trying to lighten the mood.

I turned back to Moody. "Sir, do you want me to take this?"

"It's your choice," Moody offered, his voice gravelly. "Can't force ya."

I looked over my shoulder at the ever-so-annoying trio. They were quieter than mice.

Fine.

"One question," I said, shoulders slumping. "I'll answer one. When does it wear off?"

"When you drink the antidote. I have it, picked it up from Slughorn himself."

"Doesn't it take a full lunar phase to brew? Why waste it on me?" I asked, reaching into my pocket slowly. I felt the cool ring against my fingers, slipping it on.

"Three drops only, Ms. Steele. Or were you planning to down the whole thing?" Moody chuckled.

"Alright. Fine." I twisted the ring around my finger anxiously as he gestured towards the living room, motioning for everyone to clear out. I sat on the sofa as Moody gestured for me to open my mouth. He flicked the vial thrice, a clear, odorless liquid landing on my tongue.

At first it was cold, the feeling mint gave you. But acts soon as it went passed my throat, it started to burn. Yes, also the burning feeling mint gave you, but slightly worse . . . with no trace of mint. I coughed down the fire in my belly, relieved when I realized it only lasted a few seconds.

Moody stood next to us, chaperoning, while Harry sat in front of me. Ron and Hermione stood in the doorway.

Harry was thinking of a question. He took a while.

"We don't have all day, boy," Moody growled, arms crossed over his chest. "Pick a question that assures your safety."

Harry focused his green eyes on me, absently playing with his fingers.

"Have you told anyone of our plan?" he asked.

I squeezed the ring tightly. "No."

The answer was correct. I hadn't told anyone, Snape had. Of course, I couldn't tell Harry that.

"Are you planning to tell anyone anything? Are you on Vol-You-know-who's-side?"

"That's three," Moody said disapprovingly, but I answered them.

"I'm not planning on telling anyone anything." He didn't ask a direct question, which almost caused me to let out a sigh of relief. I wasn't planning on telling Draco anything, but if I had to, I would. Same went for everyone else. The second question was fairly simple. I was not on Voldemort's side. I'd been forced to join him, but no. My heart wasn't siding with him. "I'm not on his side. I thought Dumbledore made that clear enough before he died."

"No more questions," Moody stopped him as he opened his mouth again, handing me a tinted green vial. Before I could take a sip, though, Ron Weasley jumped into the picture.

Calling from the doorway, he said, "what's your relationship with Draco Malfoy?"

"Weasley!" Moody said angrily. Hermione elbowed Ron in the stomach.

"What, we were all thinking it!" Ron argued. He scowled at me.

I didn't want to answer. But if I didn't, they still wouldn't trust me. I tried to find a loophole in the answer just like the rest. The longer I waited, the hotter the burning sensation got in my stomach.

"Draco Malfoy is a friend. He's taken care of me a number of times, even though he showed hatred towards me before. And," I added, trying to clear our names, "he admits he did a wrong thing but had no other choice."

"He did a bloody huge number of wrong things," Ron muttered, rolling his eyes. He walked away, Hermione throwing me what seemed as an apologetic glance. Then she too, followed him out.

"Anything else?" I asked Harry meekly. He shook his head, getting to his feet. I took a sip, the tingling sensation going away.

"You're clear," he said, for now."

"Harry," Moody said, taking the vial back, "get everyone in here. It's time to change."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 28 21
Cora Malfoy has always hidden behind her family. Being sent to Beauxbatons for the first four years of her schooling, it was easy to pretend she didn...
18.5K 862 14
Know where your loyalty lies, Malfoy... *************************************** Hogwarts doesn't have one Malfoy, it doesn't have two... It has three...
25.5K 823 40
"You can chose light over the darkness Salem, please for us." Harry yelped as my wand was pointing at his throat. "You're a Horcrux just like me, you...
50.4K 952 40
Bella Makenna, a sixth year Hufflepuff, is just an average witch attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She spends her days watching Q...