Ten Days with Mr Darcy (on ho...

By flights_of_fantasy

When Jessica Lyons is offered the role of Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice, it feels like fate has hande... More

Chapter one - The date from hell
Chapter two - First Impressions
Chapter three - A good start
Chapter four - Becoming Elizabeth
Chapter five - Picture perfect
Chapter six - A trick of the light
Chapter seven - The confidante
Chapter eight - Monday morning
Chapter nine - Minor inconveniences
Chapter ten - The pretender
Chapter eleven - The Master of Netherfield
Chapter twelve - The Green Man
Chapter thirteen - Rainy day
Chapter fourteen - Obstinate, headstrong girl
Chapter Sixteen - A generous gift
Chapter seventeen - The show must go on
Chapter eighteen - The orangery
Chapter nineteen - An unexpected comfort
Chapter twenty - A different perspective
Chapter twenty-one - Truth revealed
Chapter twenty-two - A short intermission
Chapter twenty-three - Mr Darcy's kiss
Chapter twenty-four - As one door closes
Chapter twenty-five - A cup of coffee
Chapter twenty-six - The truth is out there
Chapter twenty-seven - An embarrassing audition
Chapter twenty-eight - Opportunity knocks
Chapter twenty-nine - Wish you were here
Chapter thirty - The Red Dragon
Chapter thirty-one - Breakfast
Chapter thirty-two - Sir Ieuan
Chapter thirty-three - Lady in Red
Chapter thirty-four - Jonathan's choice
Chapter thirty-five - The long and winding road
Chapter thirty-six - Caernarfon
Chapter thirty-seven - The Hooded Man

Chapter fifteen - Reticules and parasols

1.3K 82 19
By flights_of_fantasy

Exley Hall late at night was a place of dark, cavernous rooms and a cold, penetrating silence. The only sound was the echo of their footsteps as Sebastian and Jess crossed the marble floor of the entrance hall. They passed the main staircase, heading towards the rear of the house.

Sebastian poked his head around the door, confirming the room was empty before they slipped inside. A pale light slanted through the long, uncovered windows. It created a geometric spiderweb of silver across the carpet, broken only by their shadows as they crossed the room to look out across the garden.

"Why are we here?"

Sebastian turned her so she faced the glass. He stood close against her back, one arm loose around her waist. "I thought you'd appreciate how beautiful the garden looks bathed in moonlight." His free hand stroked her hair, brushing it away from her face. "And because I thought you and Caroline might end up scratching each others' eyes out if we stayed downstairs for much longer."

Miss Bingley might have retreated from battle when Sebastian arrived in the green room, but during dinner she'd made it clear that she hadn't given up hope of winning her war. "She's a two-faced cow."

He chuckled in the darkness. "What has she done to deserve such a violent epithet?"

It was hard for Jess to admit her fears; they were like a ball of ice, locked away inside. Sebastian chose that moment to sprinkle kisses along her collar bone and up the column of her neck, leaving her with a warm glow in her chest. It melted the ice, making it easier to explain. "She saves her worst comments for times when you aren't close enough to hear. She said...well, she thinks I'm not good enough."

He continued his train of kisses until they reached just below her ear. "That's ridiculous. I can't imagine a more perfect Elizabeth Bennet."

"No, I think she meant not good enough for you."

Sebastian fell silent, seemingly content to hold her close as they both stood before the window. Then he took in a breath, releasing it in one long sigh. "If she said that then she's wrong, of course. You're far more than I deserve."

"You two were together once." Jess left her statement hanging in the air, wondering whether he would confirm or deny Ruth's earlier comment.

"Years ago. It didn't end well."

Jess turned to face him, unsure whether to push for more details. Curiosity was all well and good, but she didn't want to re-open a painful wound. The glow through the window shone on his face like a spotlight, highlighting dark brows furrowed in thought. Her fingers traced his cheekbone before running along his strong, stubbled jaw.

He captured her exploring hand in his before placing a gentle kiss upon her open palm. Then he smiled. "You must be dying to know why."

Jess attempted a nonchalant shrug. "I understand if you'd rather not tell me."

"It's ancient history, but given the fact that Ruth's not been on her best behaviour this week, you have a right to know." He moved them further down the room, where a window-seat offered a comfortable space for two. There he held her close, dropping occasional kisses on her forehead. "It wasn't her fault. If anything, I was to blame. I was young...we both were...and I should have been more supportive. Remember those phone numbers from the fans? And those women I mentioned?" Jess nodded. "Well Ruth couldn't understand that their offers were just as unpalatable to me as they were to her. She thought I encouraged their attention...that I wanted those females as much as they wanted me. She didn't trust me."

"I imagine it was difficult."

"And I could have done a better job of handling her concerns. As I said, I was young and foolish, but she didn't give me a chance to show her she was wrong. You listened to me...you believed me. That's why you're so special."

"When we arrived at Exley last Thursday, you and Ruth seemed close."

He laughed. "Appearances can be deceptive. We just happened to meet in the car park. It was the first time I'd seen her in...what? Three, maybe four years. She greeted me like a long-lost friend, and I played along. It's always prudent to get on with those you'll be working with. That's what you saw when we walked through the door together."

"So why would she try to scare me away?"

"Don't know, but I'll have a talk with her. We only have two more days here, and I don't want Ruth to spoil anything for us."

Jess snuggled against his chest. "Don't worry. I won't let her upset me any more."

~~~~~~

Jessica had forgotten all about the Regency fair until she spotted the multi-coloured tents and stalls laid out on the south lawn on Thursday morning. They looked like confetti left behind after a giant's wedding party.

After a rushed breakfast Mandy granted them reluctant permission to look around the fair before it was time to dress. They had barely half an hour of free time, but it was enough for a quick browse in the early sunshine.

Glittering morning dew clung to the grass as the stall holders made last minute adjustments to their displays or warmed their hands on steaming cups of coffee. Jessica sauntered between the varied tents, pointing out items of interest to Georgiana, Jane and Mrs Gardiner. Caroline followed behind, wedged between Bingley and Darcy. Occasionally, her laughter would drift in their direction, but Jessica refused to look over her shoulder. She would not give Ruth the satisfaction of thinking she was jealous.

They passed one stall belonging to a dressmaker who made authentic Regency gowns for the most enthusiastic aficionados. The dresses were beautiful, but they cost a small fortune. A woman in the next booth offered frilly parasols, ivory fans, vinaigrettes and reticules; all items a well dressed Regency lady would not be seen without.

Jessica picked up one of the reticules—a confection in pink silk and lace—remembering the question she'd been posed earlier in the week. "It's just a bag. A drawstring purse." When the stall holder frowned, she added, "I've always wanted one of these," and promised to return later for another look.

Handmade paper, sticks of glossy red wax and seals bearing every letter of the alphabet sat on the trestle table of the next stand. Georgiana studied an elegant feather quill while Jane showed an interest in a calligraphy set with a selection of colourful inks. As Darcy caught up with them, Caroline picked up another of the long thin goose feathers displayed on the table.

"Allow me to mend your pen, Mr. Darcy," she said with a Cheshire cat smile as she waved the feather inches from his face.

"There's nothing wrong with my pen, thank you very much," Sebastian replied wearily.

Caroline tutted as she shook her head. "You ought to have said: 'Thank you, but I always mend my own.' Don't you remember?"

"No, because that's not part of this week's script." He shook his head before joining Jessica on the other side of the tent, where he feigned interest in a decorative notebook. "Save me," he pleaded in a plaintive whisper.

Jessica glanced over her shoulder. "What, from Caroline? You're a big boy, Darcy. You can take care of yourself." She grinned to take the sting out of her words.

"And you are a hard woman, Lizzy," he murmured, but was happy to accompany her to the next stall, where Bingley and Jane already had their heads bent over a display case belonging to the antiques tent.

"How sweet," Darcy whispered in her ear when he saw them together. "They'll be after a house and a puppy next."

"Don't be mean. I think they make a cute couple." Jess wandered into the white marquee to see what they were selling.

The trestles were covered with identical glass cases, displaying a wide selection of antique jewellery while still keeping it safe from the less than honest members of society. Jessica's eyes skimmed across the contents of the nearest case before moving onto the next one. Up in the top right corner was an item that caught her eye. It was a cameo brooch, but an unusual specimen. The mottled bluey-purple background looked like a nebulous galaxy, while the creamy female silhouette had been delicately carved. "Oh, look at that. It's so pretty."

Hopeful of an early sale, the stall holder lifted up the hinged glass lid and extracted the item, offering it to her for a better look. The background of the brooch changed colour depending on the angle, while the head in profile was tinged pink in places, the whole being circled by a filigree of gold. She ran her thumb lightly over the raised surface.

Jane poked her head over Jess's shoulder. "That's lovely."

"It is, isn't it?"

Glancing at the tiny white price tag, Jessica thanked the man as she handed it back.

"If you like it why don't you buy it?"

Jessica looked longingly at the brooch, resting in its spot on the ruffled black velvet. "Eighty pounds is more than I can afford, especially when I've no definite work lined up after this. Half a dozen auditions, but nothing concrete."

"I know what you mean. I've got eight weeks beginning in early August, but July is empty for me. I'll be back to the temp agency on Monday."

Bingley studied the brooch through the glass. He made no comment until they had walked away from the stall then lowered his head to whisper close to Jessica's ear. "The reason it costs so much is because it's an original piece, and in very good condition. I can't say without checking the back and the design of the pin but I suspect that it could be up to two hundred years old, and worth a little more than the price he's asking for it."

"How do you know?"

"My uncle was a jeweller. He stocked a lot of antique stuff and had a soft spot for Blue John and the other fluorites. The silhouette was probably carved from some kind of sea-shell, which is why it has that pinkish hue."

"It's nice to know the brooch is original, but it's way beyond my budget."

She found Darcy in the largest tent, which belonged to a historical bookseller. The works on the shelves in front of him were mainly about the Peninsular war and books on Wellington or other well known military or political figures from the beginning of the nineteenth century. When she reached his side, Darcy was flicking idly through a biography about Lord Liverpool. "There's a good selection here, if you like this kind of thing."

Being in a playful mood, she put on her brightest smile and most vacuous expression. "Oh, I cannot talk of books in a ballroom!"

He stared pointedly around the large green canvas tent, where the books were protected from the vagaries of the British weather. "Please don't do that. You sound like Caroline."

"Heaven forbid."

"I had a word with her earlier. She promised to behave herself, so I don't think you'll have any more trouble. Did you see anything you liked?"

Jess described the brooch as they walked towards the cake stall. She didn't think the Victoria sponge was particularly in keeping with the Regency theme, but it made an indulgent after-breakfast snack.

Their window shopping over, they returned to the house to change into their costumes and prepare for the first scene. As though to make up for their absence the previous day, the house and grounds were soon bustling with visitors, who all seemed to take a great interest in the entertainment being put on for their benefit.

As Elizabeth journeyed with her aunt and uncle, Jessica's mind drifted back to the jeweller's stall with the cameo brooch. Although she'd said that she couldn't afford it, that wasn't strictly true. She had a small sum she kept back for emergencies, special occasions and rainy days. And in a few months it would be her birthday.

After an hour of indecision she decided to buy the brooch using eighty pounds from her savings. She would replace the funds as soon as she received her birthday money from her family. That way she could treat herself to an early birthday present.

The decision made, she was forced to watch the long hands of the grandfather clock sweep slowly around the dial. As soon as their last scene of the morning was complete, instead of heading for lunch she crossed the lawn to the jeweller's tent. Jessica spent a few anxious moments excusing herself as she passed through the crowds. Finally she managed to move forward to the front of the queue and bent over the case.

Her eyes immediately travelled to the top corner of the black velvet, but she couldn't see the cameo she had fallen in love with. Making her way to the other cases, she checked each one carefully before moving back to the first one. Finally, she enquired with the stall holder.

It was too late. The brooch had already been sold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 258 32
Devastated by his cousin's betrayal and watching all his hopes of future happiness slip away, Colonel Fitzwilliam calls on assistance from surprising...
2.8K 79 6
Is Mr. Darcy Too Late? While Mr. Darcy rushes to London to help Lydia avoid ruination, the unexpected death of their father throws Elizabeth Bennet's...
260K 6.5K 49
"Elizabeth, we have more stores to get to, so if you please.'" Came Mr. Knight's impatient voice from the other side of the door. I still wasn't used...
8.1K 95 5
PREVIEW ONLY Something crinkled by her foot. Elizabeth reached down and picked it up. A rapid scan revealed it was a letter from Fitzwilliam Darcy to...