Playing His Game

By willferrel

"You okay there, partner?" he chuckled. Our bodies were centimeters away from touching so I took a step back... More

Chapter One | You Can't Always Get What You Want
Chapter Two | Hot Stuff
Chapter Three | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Chapter Four | Ventilator Blues
Chapter Five | Tumbling Dice
Chapter Six | It Must Be Hell
Chapter Seven | Don't Be a Stranger
Chapter Eight | Wanna Hold You
Chapter Nine | Sleep Tonight
Chapter Ten | Hide Your Love
Chapter Eleven | Time Waits for No One
Chapter Twelve | Hearts For Sale
Chapter Thirteen | Wild Horses
Chapter Fourteen | Dancing In the Light
Chapter Fifteen | Can You Hear the Music
Chapter Sixteen | Feel On Baby
Chapter Seventeen | Break the Spell
Chapter Eighteen | You Win Again
Chapter Nineteen | Sparks Will Fly
Chapter Twenty | The Nearness of You
Chapter Twenty-One | Anybody Seen My Baby?
Chapter Twenty-Two | Ain't Too Proud to Beg
Chapter Twenty-Three | Let It Loose
Chapter Twenty-Four | Moon Is Up
Chapter Twenty-Five | Blinded By Love
Chapter Twenty-Six | Start Me Up
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Shattered
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Paint It Black
Chapter Twenty-Nine | She's So Cold
Chapter Thirty-One | Till The Next Goodbye
Chapter Thirty-Two | Thru and Thru
Chapter Thirty-Three | Mean Disposition
Chapter Thirty-Four | Soul Survivor
Chapter Thirty-Five pt. 1 | You Don't Have to Mean It
Chapter Thirty-Five pt.2 | Streets of Love
Chapter Thirty-Five pt. 3 | Baby Break It Down
Epilogue | Summer Romance
TRENT BONUS POV CHAPTER-16
Thank You and Goodbye

Chapter Thirty | No Use In Crying

55.3K 1.6K 370
By willferrel

Thirty:

I didn't know it was possible to be this stir-crazy.

In the past five days I'd cleaned my room, trashed it, cleaned it again, and blown through an entire season of The Vampire Diaries.

That last part I blamed on Lauren. Her obsession with the show was part of what made me finally give in and watch it.

I guess that was one good thing; my parents, never having grounded me before, didn't seem to realize they should take away my phone or TV.

Now, it was approaching 6:00 on New Year's Eve and I was in the process of having my mind blown.

My mouth hung slightly open as I watched the end credits of the season one finale appear. Damon kissed Elena, but Elena was really Katherine? "Oh my god," I whispered.

I reached for the remote to my Apple TV. I was about to start season two, but was interrupted by a short knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in," I called halfheartedly, knowing my mom would come in whether I granted her permission or not.

I was surprised when I saw it was my dad who crossed over the threshold. My back immediately straightened from where I had been lying on my mound of pillows. I hadn't talked to or even seen him since he'd grounded me; every time I'd gone downstairs to eat he was nowhere to be found.

I felt nervous as he padded across the carpet, coming to sit on the end of my bed. It was silent as we looked at each other but, this time, I could tell he wasn't mad.

"Tired of being in your room yet?"

His voice held a teasing tone to it that immediately made me feel relieved. I smiled in embarrassment, ducking my head. "Yeah, I am."

"Okay, well, I think I've punished you enough. Consider your first grounding experience over."

"Thanks..." I said with a short laugh. "And I'm sorry, dad."

He nodded. "I know, and you know I love you no matter what, even if you go a little crazy on me."

I grinned, ignoring the residual ache that had yet to leave my chest since my birthday.

My dad raised an eyebrow. "So, are you going to ever tell me what's got you so miserable, or is that just for your mom's ears?"

He took my silence as an answer. "Ahh, oh well. I fly back out tonight and didn't want us to leave on bad terms."

I frowned. "Already?"

His face mirrored mine in unhappiness. "I know, but I only got two weeks for Christmas off."

I sighed, flopping back onto my pillows. "Okay."

He leaned forward, placing a hand on my pajama-clad knee. "We didn't get to see each other much at all, which is why I was thinking we could go out to dinner together before I leave, as a family."

I smiled at his offer, eager to leave my room. "Sure, dad. I'll start getting ready."

"Great," he grinned, pushing up from my bed and rising to his feet. He quickly exited my room letting the door swing shut behind him.

I turned off my TV and stood up. I guess the Vampire Diaries would just have to wait. There was another knock at my door just as I opened the door to my closet. "What's up?" I hollered towards the door, figuring my dad had forgot to mention something.

"What's up, is that we're done with you blowing us off."

I stiffened at the sound of Lauren's voice. I slowly closed my closet door and retreated towards the bed, stifling a groan when I saw Lauren, Carly and Lily were all crowding my doorway. "I-I texted you guys that I've been grounded," I said semi-nervously, my fingers nervously twisting through my hair.

"Yeah, that's no excuse to completely ignore our calls and texts. We know something happened on your birthday," Carly said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What? No, I'm fine," I said, trying to play off her words casually.

"Bullshit," Lauren said, annoyance clear in her expression. "Trent's been just as mopey since we got back, so I know whatever it is has to do with him."

"Why don't you ask him, then?" I asked, closing my eyes at the mention of her brother.

"He won't tell me anything, which isn't really surprising. You, however, are going to explain it all. Now."

I sighed in defeat, taking a deep breath. I only hoped I could get through it without crying again. "Fine. Just...sit down, all of you."

..

It took about fifteen minutes to catch them up on everything, from the morning of my birthday to me getting ungrounded right before they showed up.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him," Carly announced, a storm brewing in her eyes.

Lauren sighed. "Yeah, me too."

I brought my knees closer to my chest, hugging them. "I just wish none of it ever happened. I wish I wouldn't have even talked to him after our project finished. I feel so stupid."

Lily leaned closer from where she sat on my left, her blue eyes pooling with sympathy. Carly shook her head at my words. "You're not stupid, Drey." Turning to Lauren, she asked, "You're his sister. Can you think of any reason as to why he would do this? Other than being an idiot, of course."

Lauren blew out a breath, running her hand through her dark hair. "I mean, Trent's got issues with commitment. I know why, but it's not really my place to tell." She uncrossed her legs from where she was sitting across from me, shifting her body closer. "I'll talk to him, though. Tell him he's making a huge mistake."

"No," I shook my head immediately. "What's done is done. I don't want you to talk to him."

She bit her lip. "Are you sure? Anyone could tell what he felt for you was real."

Irritation flared within me, a wonderful alternative to the pain and embarrassment I was growing familiar with. "Well, then he shouldn't have screwed it up," I snapped.

It was silent as Lauren let out a disappointed sigh, flopping back onto my mattress. "Sorry," I murmured. "I'm just trying the best I can to move on."

"I know," Lauren said with a small smile, her hand moving to brush over mine reassuringly.

"Speaking of moving on...how would you feel about coming out with us to celebrate New Years?" Carly sounded eager as she asked, clasping her hands together while she waited for my answer.

"Where?" I asked with narrowed eyes.

Carly looked sheepish, her eyes quickly traveling over our friends before they came back to me. "Will's having a party-hey, no, hear me out!" She stopped when I gave her a frown.

"Are you serious? I think I've had enough parties for a while."

Lauren sat up, her expression becoming just as pleading as Carly's. "Please, Audrey? We miss you! And it's New Year's Eve, come on!"

I paused, actually considering it before I remembered something. I shook my head. "Sorry, can't, I'm supposed to go out to dinner with my parents tonight."

Carly's expression turned flat. "Really?"

I shrugged. "Yep."

There was a light knock on my door. We all looked up to see my mom stick her head in. "Actually, honey, we think it'd be great for you to go out with your friends. Max isn't feeling well, anyway."

"Mom! You were listening to our conversation?" I asked with a glare.

"No! Well, only the last little bit...I was already coming up to tell you dinner was cancelled."

I groaned when this caused my friends, all three of them, to grin in victory. My mom shook her head, an apologetic smile gracing her lips as she disappeared back into the hall.

My stomach churned. "Guys, don't make me go. I...I can't face him yet."

Lauren gave a patient look. "I promise I'll keep him away from you...if he even shows, that is."

I frowned. "What does that mean?"

She sighed. "I was serious when I said he's been mopey. He's barely left the house since we got back from the trip, he's already skipped out on like 4 parties."

I rolled my eyes, bitterness taking over my tone. "I'm sure all the girls just don't know what to do with themselves when he isn't around."

"Sure they do," Carly grinned. "That's when Jake gets his time to shine."

I laughed; a true, genuine laugh that bloomed throughout my stomach and made me feel 10 times better.

"So, what do you say?" Lauren asked once our laughs faded.

"You guys'll really make sure he stays away?" I asked hesitantly.

They all nodded eagerly. "Of course," Carly reassured me, squeezing my arm. "Don't think I'm afraid of putting that idiot in his place, because I'm not."

I laughed again, nodding against my better judgement. "Okay...I'm in."

_______________________________

Okaaay...

After 3 short ones in a row, I know I owe you guys a long ass chapter. The next chapter we'll be getting back to the good stuff, and I promise it will be nice and lengthy ;)
Remember to vote & comment if ya liked it
Oh, and happy Easter! It's 11:59 PM, that still counts...right??

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 4.6K 33
Completed "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked, glaring at him while he forcefully dragged me out of class. "You told me you need help...
4.9M 129K 26
An arm snaked around my waist and he forced me to face him. "That kiss on Wednesday was hot, wanna continue from where we left off?" He whispered h...
27.6K 949 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...
11.1K 277 24
The moon was full and a certain party was over. Two people were sitting by the poolside. The girl's feet were half underwater. "I just don't see how...