The Forbidden Daughter ➳ Perc...

By edgeofgreats

❝It's fate, Percy. My whole life revolves around fate.❞ She was just a normal fourteen-year-old girl. Until... More

01: The Gods Are Real
02: Meeting My Family
03: Capture the Flag, But With A Twist
04: All Alone
05: My Friends Meet My Mother
06: My Uncle Pays Us A Visit
07: A Gift From My Mother
08: I Get A Prophecy & My Mom is Missing
09: We Get Caught Spying
10: Accepted on the Quest
11: We Get Help From My Uncle
12: A Gift From The Wild
13: Percy Gets Love Advice
14: Percy Has A Secret
15: Mr. D Saves Our Lives
17: I Learn The Truth
18: A Hard Goodbye

16: We Meet A Dragon - And It Wants To Kill Us

4.2K 102 39
By edgeofgreats

"We will never make it," Zoë said. "We are moving too slow. But we cannot leave the Ophiotaurus."

"Mooo," Bessie said. He swam next to Percy as we jogged along the waterfront. We'd left the shopping center pier far behind. We were heading toward the Golden Gate Bridge, but it was a lot farther than I'd realized.

"We need a car," Thalia said.

"But what about Bessie?" Percy asked.

Grover stopped in his tracks. "I've got an idea! The Ophiotaurus can appear in different bodies of water, right?"

"Well, yeah," Percy said. "I mean, he was in Long Island Sound. Then he just popped into the water at Hoover Dam. And now he's here."

"So maybe we could coax him back to Long Island Sound," Grover said. "Then Chiron could help us get him to Olympus."

"But he was following me" Percy said. "If I'm not there, would he know where he's going?"

"Moo," Bessie said forlornly.

"I... I can show him," Grover said. "I'll go with him."

"I'm the only one who can talk to him," Grover said. "It makes sense."

He bent down and said something in Bessie's ear. Bessie shivered, then made a contented, lowing sound.

"The blessing of the Wild," Grover said. "That should help with safe passage. Percy, pray to your dad, too. See if he will grant us safe passage through the seas."

"Dad," Percy said. "Help us. Get the Ophiotaurus and Grover safely to camp. Protect them at sea."

"A prayer like that needs a sacrifice," Thalia said. "Something big."

Percy took off his coat.

"Percy," Grover said. "Are you sure? That lion skin... that's really helpful. Hercules used it!"

"If I'm going to survive," Percy said, "it won't be because I've got a lion-skin cloak. I'm not Hercules."

He threw the coat into the bay. It turned back into a golden lion skin, flashing in the light. Then, as it began to sink beneath the waves, it seemed to dissolve into sunlight on the water.

Grover took a deep breath. "Well, no time to lose."

He jumped in the water and immediately began to sink. Bessie glided next to him and let Grover take hold of his neck.

"Be careful," I told him.

"We will," Grover said. "Okay, um... Bessie? We're going to Long Island. It's east. Over that way."

"Moooo?" Bessie said.

"Yes," Grover answered. "Long Island. It's this island. And... it's long. Oh, let's just start."

"Mooo!"

Bessie lurched forward. He started to submerge and Grover said, "I can't breathe underwater! Just thought I'd mention—" Glub!

And then they were gone.

"Well, that is one problem addressed," Zoë said. "But how can we get to my sisters' garden?"

"Thalia's right," I said. "We need a car. But there's nobody to help us here. Unless we, uh, borrowed one."

"Wait," Thalia said. She started rifling through her backpack. "There is somebody in San Francisco who can help us. I've got the address here somewhere."

"Who? I don't recall ever meeting someone who lives in San Fransisco," I said.

Thalia pulled out a crumpled piece of notebook paper and held it up. "That's because you haven't met him yet. Professor Chase. Annabeth's dad."

**********
I'd heard all about Annabeth's father at camp. She told me everything, about how she felt abandoned, the evil stepmother, everything.

Which kinda reminded me of Cinderella. Actually, Annabeth could totally pass for Cinderella, with the blonde hair and everything.

Right, meeting Professor Chase. Sorry, ADHD sucks.

"Hello, are you delivering my airplanes?" He asked politely.

"Um, no, sir," Percy answered.

"Drat. I need three more Sopwith Camels," he said, even though nobody knew what the heck he was babbling about.

"Right. We're friends of Annabeth," Percy said.

"Annabeth?" He straightened himself. "Is she all right? Has something happened?"

Nobody dared to answer him. But the looks on everyone's faces was enough for him to know.

"You'd better come in," he said.
**********
The house was a mess. Can you tell I'm very blunt?

But it was a good kind of messy.

There were Legos on the stairs and magazines piling up on the coffee table.

It seemed like a happy home. It reminded me of my home with my father.

There were two kids, arguing about some toy robot. I miss being that young and naïve.

"We'll go upstairs to my study. This way," Dr. Chase turned to us.

"Honey?" A woman called. Annabeth's evil stepmother. "Who are our guests?"

"Oh...." Dr. Chase stared at us blankly.

"Frederick," she scolded. "You forgot to ask them their names?"

We introduced ourselves, uneasily.

"Dear, they came to talk about Annabeth," Dr. Chase told his wife.

"All right. Go on up to the study and I'll bring some food," she answered politely. "Nice meeting you, Percy. I've heard a lot about you."

That got me thinking. Of course Annabeth talks about Percy, they're best friends! But I couldn't help but wonder if either one of them felt more feelings for each other than just friendship. I'd be stupid not to wonder.

**********
We stepped into Dr. Chase's study.

"Woah," Percy said.

The room was filled to the brim with books. There were all sorts of toy tanks and soldiers on the table.

"No wonder he attracted the attention of Athena," I whispered to myself.

I must've spaced out, looking all around the room at all of the things he had.

"Sir," Thalia broke in. "Annabeth is in danger."

"Of course. Tell me everything," he said, setting a little biplane down on the table.

When we finished, Dr. Chase collapsed into his recliner. "My poor brave Annabeth. We must hurry."

"Sir, we need transportation to Mount Tamalapais," Zoë said. "And we need it immediately.

"And we need to make it clear that we have to go alone. It's too dangerous for you," I said, speaking for the first time since we got to the house.

Just then, Mrs. Chase brought in the food.

"I can drive sir, I'm not as young as I look. I promise not to destroy your car," Zoë said to him.

"What's this about?" Mrs. Chase asked.

"Annabeth is in danger. I would drive, but apparently it's too dangerous for mortals," he said, looking to me when he said that last part.

There was a pause before Mrs. Chase answered. "Then they'd better get going."

Zoë grabbed a sandwich. "Thank you both. We should go. Now."

We hustled to the car but Mr. Chase called Percy back. I didn't want to eavesdrop so I kept going to the car.
**********

"Can't this thing go any faster?" Thalia demanded.

"I cannot control traffic!" Zoë retorted.

"You both sound like my mother," Percy said. I snorted.

"Shut up!" They shouted in unison.

The sun was starting to set when we finally got into Marin County and exited the highway. Ahead of us was Mount Tam.

"So that's the Mountain of Despair?" Percy asked.

"Yes," Zoë said.

"Is there a reason why they call it that?" I asked her.

She was silent before she answered. "This is where Kronos's right-hand man was imprisoned after the war. It's just beyond the Garden of Hesperides."

"The General," Percy said with a low voice.

"We have to concentrate," Thalia said. "The Mist is really strong here."

Percy looked over to the ocean and gasped aloud.

"Look. It's Luke's ship." He said.

"Great. More monsters to fight," I sighed.

Thalia suddenly sat up. "Stop the car. NOW!"

Zoë could tell something was wrong and slammed on the brake.

"Out!" Thalia shouted and pushed the two of us out of the door.

Then there was a huge flash of light that surrounded the car as it was blown to pieces.

Percy and I would've been killed if Thalia hadn't covered the three of us with her shield.

I was speechless. She single-handedly saved our lives.

"One shall perish by a parent's hand. Curse him. He would destroy me? ME?" She muttered.

"What are you talking ab- oh... Right, the prophecy," I said quietly as I stood up and brushed the dirt off of my shoulder.

"No. No way. Maybe it wasn't his," Percy said.

Thalia was angry and stunned.

"Wait. Guys? Where's Zoë?" I asked, panicking.

I walked around the car and looked in it.

"Zoë!" I screamed. "Zoë, no," I repeated in a whisper.

"Silence! Thou will wake Ladon!" A voice from behind me said.

"Zoë!" I whispered, hugging her.

"Wha- what are you doing?" Zoë asked.

"I thought you were dead!" I exclaimed quietly.

"Come on, we are here," She said with a hint of a smile on her face.

As we were walking, I made sure to stay close to Zoë. I'd grown very close to her over the course of this quest. I would hate for something to happen to her.

When the fog began to clear, there was a path to the top. It led to a lush meadow of shadows and flowers.

I was tempted to walk through it, but stopped short when I saw the dragon. I reached for my bracelet, but didn't twist it, yet.

Then, four figures appeared from the shadows. Four women who looked exactly like Zoë.

"Sisters," Zoë said.

"We do not see any sister," one of the girls said.

"Harsh," I whispered.

"We see three half-bloods and a Hunter. All of whom will soon die."

"Even more harsh," I whispered again.

The girls looked over to me.

"Isabella Covelli, the Forbidden One. The Daughter of Artemis. Why everyone sees you as a threat, I do not know," one of the sisters said.

I stared, speechless at her comment.

I stepped up to her after a brief moment.

"I can be very threatening when I want to be," I said, my voice low and my eyes narrowed.

The Hesperid was overcome with a look of fear as she stepped back to her sisters.

"Yo-your eyes. They glowed." She stuttered.

I stepped back, with a confused look on my face. Since when do my eyes glow?

Percy pulled me back and held my shoulders.

"Perseus Jackson," One said.

"Yes, this one on the other hand, is not a threat."

"Who said I was a threat?" Percy asked.

She glanced to the top of the mountain. "They fear thee. They are unhappy that she has not killed thee yet."

She pointed at Thalia.

"Tempting. But he's my friend, so no thanks," Thalia said.

"There are no friends here. Only enemies. Go back."

"Not without Annabeth," Thalia said.

"And Artemis," Zoë and I said in unison.

"You know he will kill thee. You are no match for him," the girl said.

"We have to free Artemis," I said.

The girl shook her head.

Then Zoë did something absolutely insane. "Ladon, wake!" She shouted.

"Are you mad?" The lead girl yelped.

"Zoë, he'll kill you. Don't do this, please," I begged.

"Ladon protects the tree. Go around, and he should not notice thee," Zoë said.

"'Should' is not exactly reassuring," I said.

"It's the only way. Now go," She said.

Percy and I went right, Thalia went left. Zoë went down the middle.

I was too scared to listen to anything Zoë was saying.

We almost made it out of the garden when I felt something. The dragon lunged at Zoë.

"Zoë!" I screeched.

"No! Run, keep going!" She said as she dodged his blow.

The dragon nipped at her side and she cried out in pain.

Thalia held out her shield which gave Zoë a moment to run.

The dragon didn't follow. The four of us ran up the mountain.

**********

The top of the mountain was in ruins.

"The ruins of Mount Othrys," Thalia admired in awe.

"They weren't here before. This is bad," Zoë said. She winced in pain.

"You're hurt, here, let me heal you," I said as I stepped toward her. I held my hand out over the wound and concentrated. Nothing happened.

"I don't understand. I did it once before," I said, looking at my hand.

"Look up. There's no real moon out this time. Just the one made by the Mist," Thalia said.

"Oh. I'm sorry Zoë," I said.

"Don't be," She smiled. "Thou's heart is in the right place."

"This is Atlas's mountain," She continued. "Where he holds - used to hold up the sky."

Gray clouds swirled around a young girl. Lo and behold, there was my mother in her chosen form, her dress ripped and dirty, and bound by chains.

"My lady!" Zoë cried out.

"Mother!" I cried out.

"Stop! It is a trap! You must leave now," She said.

She was straining under the weight of the sky, and it showed.

Zoë and I looked at each other. It was in that moment that we knew what we needed to do.

We rushed forward and tugged at her chains, desperately trying to pull them off.

"Isabella, get out of here! He's going to use you!" Artemis whispered.

"I know," I said. "But I can't just leave you here."

She smiled weakly. "I see you have the stubbornness gene."

I smiled back.

"Family moment, how touching," A voice boomed.

There was the General, and at his side? Luke and half a dozen dracaenae carrying the sarcophagus of Kronos. Annabeth stood next to Luke, hands cuffed and with a gag in her mouth.

"You must be Luke. I've heard a lot about you," I said.

Luke smirked. "All good things, I presume?"

"No, more like the opposite actually," I answered.

The General chuckled. "And you, Zoë, how is my little traitor? I will enjoy killing you."

"You're not going to hurt Zoë. I won't let you," Percy said.

The General sneered. "You have no right to interfere, little hero. This is a family matter."

"Family matter?" I asked.

"Yes," Zoë said, ashamed. "Atlas is my father."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 3K 43
PJO Fanfiction - The Titan's Curse Atalanta Elora Anastacia does not have it easy. She is not your typical high school student. At school, she's your...
25K 367 16
(Not suitable for readers under 16- you've been warned no smut tho) What happens when Annabeth Chase starts dating Percy Jackson, her best friend's b...
94.9K 2.7K 42
she shouldn't be here. she really, really shouldn't be here. but when a goddess saves your life and asks for something in return, you can't really d...
123K 4K 31
𝐢𝐟 𝐢 𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐢'𝐦 𝐭𝐡...