The Healer's Choice (LOTR Gen...

By sivanshemesh5

Legolas was hurt in battle, but when Aragorn tries to heal him, Legolas won't let him. What then is the heale... More

1/19
2/19
3/19
4/19
5/19
6/19
7/19
8/19
9/19
10/19
11/19
12/19
13/19
14/19
16/19
17/19
18/19
19/19

15/19

783 35 1
By sivanshemesh5

Beta: Manon, Shemar & Naomi, Phyllis, Carol, Niroveka, Dis & Aranel

Disclaimer: I own only the plot; Tolkien though was the one that created the great world of Middle Earth. I do not own the Lord of the Rings (and associated) book series, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of the story.

--

"I need fresh leaves and water from the river, cold if at all possible," Aragorn said in soft and calm voice, the panic and the hysteria not seeming to bother him.

Haldir left them in search for the items the ranger required.

Aragorn glared over the dwarf who walked back and forth, and immediately knew that he blamed himself.

"Gimli!" he spoke, and walked over to the dwarf, stopping him in his endless
stride. "You have to stop this at once! It is of no use here, while Legolas's
life is in danger. We cannot continue doing this, blaming each other. For the
Valar's sake, we have to stop this at once!"

"Forgive me," Gimli apologized. "I am worried for him..." He stared up at Aragorn,
waiting for his next assignment.

"What?" Aragorn asked curiously, noticing the peculiar look that the dwarf gave
him.

"What is it you want me to do?" Gimli asked, continuing to look at him.

Aragorn looked at him for a moment, then answered. "I think you should speak with him. Forgive him...might make things better."

Gimli looked up at his friend with a frown. Disbelieving what he heard, he asked, "How can you ignore what he had done to you?"

"I am not ignoring it, Gimli, but I cannot blame him and accuse him in his present state, for I have no idea what is going on in his mind," Aragorn explained.

"But he tried to kill you!" Gimli groaned at him.

"What do you want me to do? Accuse him more? That would kill him!" Aragorn almost attacked him, not believing what Gimli was asking of him.

Haldir stepped inside, at once noticing the tight-faced look on their faces; it was obvious to him that he had stepped into the middle of something sober.

"What... is going on here?" Haldir asked curiously, staring deeply at them.

There was an uncomfortable pause.

"Would you like to tell him, Gimli?" Aragorn asked the dwarf.

"No..." Gimli answered, and laid his eyes on Legolas.

"I will find out sooner or later," Haldir hinted to them, but wishing they would give him more details.

There were no movement amongst them, and Haldir sighed, wondering how on Middle-Earth Legolas dealt with his friends.

"Here is what you requested," Haldir said and handed the fresh leaves and water over to Aragorn. "How is he?" There was a worried strain in his voice.

The ranger shook his head. "Not good." He leaned over his friend, and put the fresh leaves on the elf's forehead.

"Why the leaves?" Gimli asked, watching every movement Aragorn made.

"To break the fever," Aragorn answered. He gently stroked his friend's burning cheek; he prayed to see him alive and smiling again, for he missed their friendship dearly.

"And the water? Is it for us, so we can drink?" Gimli asked almost eagerly, as he reached out for the water, his own throat dry.

"No! It is for Legolas; we need to freshen the leaves in cold water every few minutes and replace them on his forehead, to break the fever," Aragorn explained, glaring hard at the dwarf.

"But what about us? I am thirsty!" Gimli exclaimed.

"Is that so?" Haldir came closer to him and added, "Then you should take this bag and fill it with water, so we can all drink of it." 

"This is... argh..." Gimli groaned. He grabbed the bag and left them, as anger ate away inside him.

When Gimli had left, Haldir fixed his eyes on Aragorn. "What is wrong with him?"

"It is a matter between him and I, and it shall remain so," Aragorn answered, and said no more.

"'A matter', you say?" Haldir teased him, adding, "Do I know the matter, my friend?"

Aragorn nodded in reluctance.

"So he had a name, eh?" a mischievous smile broke on the elf's face.

"Yes, he has..." Aragorn took the bait.

"Why is Gimli angry?" Haldir asked, puzzlement apparent on his face.

"He..." Aragorn started to say, but then closed his mouth.

"He what?" Haldir prodded.

"He is...angry with Legolas," Aragorn answered at last.

"And why is that?" Haldir asked, and then he set his eyes on Legolas.

Aragorn continued watching over his friend, continuing to notice the shallow breaths. "For me...I'm ignoring what Legolas tried, instead of blaming him in the state he is in now...I am worried for him," Aragorn admitted, keeping his eyes on Legolas. He continued. "I know that if I blame him, he will try to end his life again, and I do not wish that. I do not want to lose my friend, Haldir, because of his delirious mind... He seemed not to know what he was doing, you know?"

Haldir nodded; he understood.

"I understand now, mellon-nin. Hannon-le for not keeping me in the shadows,"
Haldir gave him a soft smile.

They suddenly heard a groan outside. Haldir sprinted out of the cave, only to discover Gimli with the bag of water, striding up to the cave.

Haldir chuckled at how the dwarf carried the bag; as Gimli walked, water spilled from the bag in all directions. Haldir peeked his head over the bag, and noticed it was half empty.

"Gimli, where is the rest of the water?" Haldir teased him knowingly.

Gimli gave him a deadly look, and entered in the cave without answering.

'Angry dwarf...' Haldir thought and hurried inside, hoping that Gimli's behavior had changed for the better, for he did not want to be in the area when Legolas awoke.

As Haldir entered, he noticed Gimli staring at Aragorn, avoiding looking at Legolas.

"Gimli," Haldir called suddenly. "Why will you not sit and speak with Legolas? Why do you not tell him your feelings, instead of blaming him?" Haldir urged.

"You told him?" Gimli snapped at Aragorn, glaring at Haldir with deep, cold eyes. "It was a matter between me and Aragorn..."

"Well, my friend," Haldir said, trying to remain calm. "I know this matter, and he is not the object, for he also has feelings as you do."

Aragorn rose to his feet. "I thing you should rest," he suggested to the dwarf. "I will wake you in the morning..."

"Fine," Gimli retorted, and tried to find a good spot to rest.

"I think that you need to rest too, mellon-nin. I will watch him," Haldir offered, taking position by Legolas' side, not giving Aragorn even the chance to protest.

"Fine..." Aragorn murmured reluctantly, not wishing to leave his friend's side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 3K 77
A fellowship is formed to destroy the One Ring to save middle-Earth. They withstand lost, battles, war. What they hadn't reckoned was Ethir - lost bl...
67.1K 3.2K 53
Legolas/OC Romance/Adventure. Even after the Ring's destruction, evil still lurks in Middle Earth. Legolas uncovers an ancient threat, one that could...
3.8K 104 14
Y/n and Legolas have been best friends since they were young, so when Legolas is summoned to the secret meeting, y/n naturally goes along with him. F...
99.9K 4.2K 27
Legolas longs to be with the man he cares for, the man he trusts, but that is not easily done. Aragorn, the new King of Gondor, has more on his mind...