The Baby Project

By DroppedJem

When it comes to seventeen-year-olds Aurora “Rory” West and Kale Mathews, there is no such thing as the conce... More

Preview (Character Information)
Prologue
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4+5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 8 Continued
Day 9
Day 10
Day 11+12
Day 12 Continued [Part 1]
Day 12 Continued [Part 2]
Day 14 (Preview)
Day 14 (Full)
Day 14 Continued (Special Announcement: Now Closed)
Day 14 Continued (Part II)
Rory and Liam (Contest Winner!) Not a real chapter!
Day 15
Day 16 (Part 1)
Day 16 (Part 2)
Day 16 (Part 3)
Day 17
Day 18
Day 18 (Night Scene)
Day 18 (Night Scene Continued)
Day 19 (Part 1)
Day 19 (Part 2)
Day 20
Day 21
Day 22 (Part 1)
Day 22 (Part 2)
Part 1 (Flashback)
Part 2 (Flashback)
Part 3 (Flashback)
Information
Day 25
Not A Chapter

Day 13

630K 7.9K 4.7K
By DroppedJem

Happy Reading!

___

Day 13

Unedited

_________

"Hey where were you yesterday? You took off kind of fast." I lean against the lockers as I wait for Kale to answer.

He stops spinning the lock to look at me, "I had to piss."

Would it kill him to tone down the vulgarity?

"Oh," I shuffle my weight awkwardly from one foot to another, "Well that's... cool."

Kale snorts in amusement as he shuts his locker, "What do you want sweetheart?"

"Nothing! Just checking up with my good old partner... you know how it is..."

Kale gives me a pointed look. I groan, "Okay fine! What do you think about me and Julian?" By his expression, I can tell I've caught him off guard, "I mean you don't think I've rushed into it do you?"

"Just last week you were swearing at me left and right and now you're asking me for dating advice?" Kale asks me incredulously.

"Yeah but we weren't friends a week ago! I think I have the right to ask you as a friend," I say defiantly.

"Right, friends..." He mutters under his breath. As I wait for an answer, I try not to think about the hurtful bitterness in his voice. Did he not want to be friends with me?

"I think," He finally says, "That you should listen to your heart." For a second I gape at him. Listen to my heart? What the hell was this? A Disney princess movie?

"God, that was so cheesy Kale!" The bastard shrugs his shoulders, "You said you wanted my advice." He takes off towards the lunchroom.

With a loud groan, I jog after him in a hurry, "Tell me the truth!"

Nothing.

"Kaaaaaaaaale!"

Abruptly he turns around so that I bump into him. Kale peers down at me, "You want to know what I actually think?"

My eyes flicker to his lips and I slowly nod.

Wait- were his lips always this pink and soft looking? I wonder if he uses one of those tinted chap sticks. If he does then I really need to get some- his lips just looked...

"Fantastic."

Eyes wide, I back away from Kale, "Wh-what?"

He sighs, "Have you not been listening to what I've been saying?"

Internally, I celebrate. He (thankfully) hadn't heard what was going through my head. If he had... Let's just say you would probably have to visit my grave to find me.

"Rory!"

"Yeah, sorry. Proceed."

Kale shakes his head before saying, "You know what? Let me just say this: I don't like Julian; He's an ass that should get castrated and sacrificed to the devil."

I gasp and punch his stomach (that was quite firm might I add), "Kale! That's so mean!" Again, he shamelessly speaks, "It's the truth."

"I should've just waited for Lanie..." I mumble to myself. At least she would have given better advice than this idiot. "Why didn't you?" Kale inquires. It takes me a second to realize he hear what I had muttered to myself. I sigh, "Because she has a hangover the size of the Asian continent. Or in other words, she has a hangover the size of your ego." Kale grins at my failed analogy, "I'll take that as a compliment sweetheart."

"Take it as you want Mathews."

My legs find themselves speed-walking away from Kale and towards the cafeteria. Not even three steps later, an arm winds its way across my shoulders, "Are you ready for tonight sweetheart?" Strangely enough, his arm feels like it belongs there so I leave it be.

"What-Oh!" I recall our conversation from Friday. Kale was going to take me somewhere! "Where are we going?"

"A fair outside of town."

"Really?" I ask excitedly. Fairs were my favorite way to pass time or hang out with friends. I just loved eating from the stands and riding roller coasters until closing time! I always knew when a fair was opening near by so it was kind of surprising I didn't know that there was one right outside of town. I voiced my confusion to Kale who just scratched the back of his neck, "Oh, they just came like a day ago; A cousin of mine works there so that's how I know."

"That's so cool!" I exclaim, all confusion forgotten, "I've always wanted to work at a fair but school gets to be too much." Kale glances at me in surprise, "Seriously? I never took you for a fair-loving girly girl."

I mock hurt, "You say that like it's a bad thing."

"No, it's just surprising... I didn't know that."

"Well, you don't know a lot about me Kale Mathews. We just became friends you know."

He sadly smiles, "I was an idiot."

"You mean you are an idiot?" I reply back cheekily. 

The arm around my shoulder moves away and pokes my side, "Hey!" I squirm, chuckling, "Don't do that!"

Kale smirks, "What? Oh, you mean this?" He starts poking me in random places- my abs, my arms, my neck. "Kale! Stop!" My stern tone falls short due to my laughter. He keeps going until I'm gasping for air.

 "OH EM GEE!" Kale and I freeze in our spots and turn to the owner of the high-pitched squeal- Julie Sanchez.

Oh shit.

It takes everything within me to stop from face palming myself into the ground. This girl was worse than all of Amanda Bynes' tweets combined; she was probably going to make up some sick rumor about me and Kale and how we were sexually assaulting each other or something. I shudder at the thought.

With Julie Sanchez anything's possible.

"H-Hey, Julie." Stay calm Rory, stay calm! Normally, I would have punched her to the ground. However, this was a unique situation with my reputation at risk. It must be handled carefully... I look to Kale who has an emotionless mask on his face. Dang, this guy was good! 

Her heavily-lined brown eyes speculate every detail before she smirks, "What were you two doing?"

"Nothing!" I reply just as Kale says, "We just had sex."

I gasp, more in fear than anger, "He's kidding!" I quickly state to a shocked Julie. She only blinks before curling her red lips into a devilish smirk, "I don't think he was."

"Yes, he was!" I huff in annoyance, "Right Kale?" Kale merely shrugs before sending Julie a charming smile, "That's for Julie to decide."

Gritting my teeth, I look at the gossip queen in front of me, "I swear to you that he's lying." Stupid smirk in tact, she straightens out her leopard print hooker dress, "Why is your hair messy and your body sweaty then?"

I drop my jaw, "I-I," Kale laughs merrily at my speechlessness. "I- He was tickling me! And he messed up my hair- it was him! WE DID NOT HAVE SEX!"

A few stray freshman stare at me strangely. I groan and place my hands over my face. I hear Julie giggle before walking away in her huge-ass wedges.

"Great! Now she's going to say all kinds of bad things about me!" 

Kale clicks his tongue in disapproval, "Should have thought about that before you screwed me sweetheart."

"UGH!" It's safe to say, I practically sprint my way to the lunchroom. After I get my food,  with Kale right behind me, Julian is the first to 'greet' me. 

"Is the rumor true?" Lee sounds disappointed and slightly sad when he asks me. Holy mother of milk and cookies this girl works fast! Wasn't she just with us, in the hallway, two minutes ago?

"Of course not!" I say incredulously. To say Lee's relieved would be an understatement. "Don't believe everything you hear Lee."

"I know. I'm sorry." From behind us, Kale snorts, "I'm sure you are." Julian turns around to glare at my partner, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Kale walks ahead towards our table. Since Kale and I had decided to become friends, I've taken the initiative to sit with his friends, Lanie, Lacey, Julian. Natalie didn't have the same lunch as us so she was unfortunately not even in the picture.

Lee's glare stays attached to Kale's back until I clear my throat. He jumps, "Sorry. I have no clue what I did to him. He's such a dick."

Even though Lee was right, for some reason I didn't like what he said about Kale, "Don't say that. He just... doesn't trust people easily."

The boy next to me mumbles something incoherent, "What was that?"

"Oh, nothing!" He smiles before putting his hands in the back pockets of his levi's. As we get closer to the table, I admire his boyish looks from the corner of my eye. Along with the jeans, Lee wore a blue fitted v-neck, that showed his lean but muscled upper body, and a pair of bluish grey Nike free runs. His hair was gelled into a small but adorable quiff and he just overall looked cute!

Right as we reach the table, Lee grabs my arm, "Hey I have to ask you something."

I furrow my eyebrows and look at him expectantly. He shuffles his feet nervously, "I was wondering if you wanted to go on our first date tonight."

A 'sure' is at the tip of my tongue before I remember my plans with Kale, "Sorry Lee but I have detention and after that I already have something I need to do." I don't know why but I purposely don't mention Kale's name. I mean, they already dislike each other so why add fuel to the fire? Julian tries to hide his crestfallen expression, but I see it just in time, "Why don't we go some other day?"

Lee smiles, "Okay. I'll let you know what works."

I reply back with a smile before sitting down between Lacey and Tyler. After saying a quick hello (to everyone except Justin of course), the first thing I am asked is: "Is the rumor true?" I swear I was this close to ripping my hair out, "No! For the love of God! You all should know better than to trust Julie's rumors!"

It was true. Every single one of them had been victim's of at least one awful rumor. Last year, there was one about Lacey having an STD; she had cried her eyes out and not come to school for a week and yet she still believes the rumors?

It was times like these I appreciated Lanie. Speaking of... "How's Lanie?" I ask Julian curiously. "I was just going to ask! Where is she? I had to show her these new earrings I got!" Lacey exclaims. Lee and I exchange glances before I tell them what happened last night- not the part of Jack, Kale, Asshole-Guy, or Julian, but of Lanie getting drunk off her ass and me calling  her in sick while acting as her mom.

Justin snorts, "It's always the quiet ones that are fun. Too bad she's stuck with such a dead-beat friend." Everybody, including me, rolls their eyes at him. For some unknown reason (very much so like Kale before we became friends) Justin hates me with a passion. I have no clue what I did or said but he always made smart-ass comments like this one.

As I finish up with my lunch, my phone buzzes. I look at it and see a message from... Kale? When I glance across the table at Kale, he's looking down at his plate. Furrowing my eyebrows, I open the text:

You can go, you know.

My eyebrows furrow deeper as I glance up at Kale. He's still not looking.

Where? I reply back quickly.

I look to see Kale frowning at his phone.

On the date with Julian.

Oh, so that's what this is about.

I already skipped on you on Friday Kale. It's fine.

When I look up, Kale is already staring right at me, as if he's asking if I'm sure. I give him a nod before getting up to throw away my garbage. My phone buzzes again. Thinking it's Kale, I pull it out of my jeans pocket in a hurry.

Thanks for taking care of me Ror. I'm going home and telling the parentals, I felt sick and that u dropped me off during lunch (in case they ask). Love u, Lanie

I smile and send her a quick reply saying how I will drop by after detention to see her.

Sounds good! Stop getting detentions loser.

Chuckling, I make my way back to our table to grab my bag.

"Are you sure you still want to go? We can always go later..." I hear Kale trail off uncomfortably.

Sighing, I turn towards him and tell him to shut up just as the bell rings. After saying goodbye, everyone departed their own way- with Kale and I heading off to (what I call now) our baby class.

"I can't believe I just thought of this now, but what did you do with the baby yesterday?"

Kale smirks at me, "I'm surprised you're so calm. I thought you would have killed me yesterday for being at the party."

I shrug my shoulders, "I forgot. So?"

"I bought this monitor thing that connects to my iPhone and every time the baby cries, my phone vibrates."

"You just put it in a room and checked on it when it cried?"

He nods his head, "Pretty much."

 "That's so smart! Why didn't I think of that?"

Kale laughs, "Well for one sweetheart, you don't have an iPhone. And secondly, you're not smart."

"Hey! Friends don't say mean things to each other!"

"Friends also don't lie to each other," Kale retorts.

God dammit! "You're an ass." Kale just ruffles my hair and walks into the classroom. With a pout, I follow. 

The baby class is the same as always- We turn in our recordings and start answering more questions about ourselves and the baby. If a serial killer ever needed a new victim, they would literally find our classroom heaven. Every single piece of paper had more information about a person on it, than all the stars combined. 

Okay... maybe I'm exaggerating a little but still!

After this class dragged on, the rest of our classes seemed to be following in suit. Every single hour spent learning had left me one inch away from flying myself to Canada.

Why Canada? 

Because maple syrup, duh!

Anyways, thankfully enough,  I find myself sitting in Mr. Heft's office with an irritating Kale right next to me. Every time our principal had to step out of the office to do something, Kale would attempt to annoy me in someway. Like right now he was clicking a pen open and close.

"Would you stop that?" I snap.

"Stop what?" He inquires deviously.

Stupid bastard.

"I hate you."

"Sure you do sweetheart," Kale smirks, clearly entertained at my expense.

The door opens and in walks Mr. Heft. Thank goodness!

"Mr. Heft, I never knew you had a son." 

My principal looks startled by my comment, "You've met Blake?"

I grin, "Yep! He's so adorable. I bet he gets it from his mom, am I right?"

He glares at me while Kale chuckles, "Aurora, do you want another detention?"

I immediately tone it down, "Right sorry. He definitely gets it from you." The only reply I get is an eye roll. Internally, I shrug. It's better than a detention.

"Well, you guys can go." Our principal informs us.

Kale and I exchange confused glances, "But it's only been half an hour," Kale states.

Mr. Heft waves his hand, "Detention's not teaching you two anything. Besides, I can't work with Aurora here yapping all the time."

I send him a dirty look, "Not cool Mr. Heft."

Without another word, we're pushed out of his office. "I don't talk that much, " I state. Turning to Kale, I ask, "Do I?"

He throws his hands up towards the ceiling and stretches, "It depends on what your definition of talking a lot is."

Frowning, I walk with him to his car. "We'll leave at six." Kale says as he starts the car. I glance at the fancy digital clock on his dashboard- it read 3:45. I tell him okay before we start heading home.

"I'm going to Lanie's house but I should be back my six." I inform him just in case I don't happen to be home. Kale nods his head and pulls into my driveway,  where no car was parked which meant that everyone was at work, daycare, and college.

"I'll see you at six!" I say walking towards the door.

"It's a date!" He yells out the window. And before I have the chance to say that it's not- he's pulling out of the driveway.  When I'm inside, I grab a granola bar while thinking of what to wear. 

It's not actually a date but my stomach still felt a little fluttery. There's no harm in looking nice is there? Besides, I don't think my current outfit of skinny jeans and a v-neck was very fair-like. Quickly, I jumped into the shower and washed my body with my favorite mango scented scrub and my hair with my coconut shampoo/conditioner. I shave my legs and armpits before drying myself with a towel and walking to my closet in my pink bra and panties.

From across the room, my phone buzzes. I walk to go check it.

You should really close your curtains. 

With a gasp, I run to shut my window curtains, but not before seeing a shameless, grinning Kale.

"AHHHHH!" I lean against the closer curtains and try to catch my breath. 

Kale Mathews had just seen me naked!

Well, not naked naked but you get the point!

"Oh my God, I'm going to die." A heated blush had taken over my face by now but now spread to my whole body due to one little text:

No clothes do you good sweetheart ;)

"AGH!" After moaning and groaning some more, I make my way to my closet (with a long shirt on this time for precaution) and look through my clothes.

"Ew."

"Ew!"

"Why did I buy that?"

"Was I high?"

"OH BLEH."

"Nothing to wear!"

Suddenly, my hand knocks against a favorite sweater of mine that said: "Eat a lot, Sleep a lot" on it. Since it was fairly windy today, I decided that this with a pair of acid-wash shorts and my signature white converse would work. After blow-drying my hair, I decide to wave it with my waver which ends up taking 45 minutes. Lastly, I finish off with some mascara and lip gloss and I'm all set. 

By the time, I am done it is already 5:45 so I call Lanie and tell her I'm not coming.

"How come?" She asks curiously.

"Kale is taking me to a fair tonight."

From the other line, I hear a loud crash before a loud squeal, "OH MY GOD. LIKE A DATE?"

I groan, "No! We're going as friends. But..."

"But...." She urges me on excitedly.

"I have a date tomorrow... with Lee." I finish. She squeals again, "THAT'S GREAT! HOLY CRAP RORY, YOU MIGHT GET LAID!"

Wincing, I pull the phone away from my ear, "Could you quiet down? My eardrums are bleeding Nee."

She giggles, "Oops." Just then the doorbell rings, "I guess that's Prince Charming huh?" I swear I was drunk when I decided Lanie was my best friend.

"Bye Lanie," I say forcibly and close the phone before grabbing my purse and heading downstairs. Quickly, I write a note to my parents telling them where I will be and stick it on the fridge.

When I open the door, Kale Mathews stands there in his holy grail of handsomeness. He had switched his Nirvana band tee and sweats for a white v-neck and dark jeans, along with a black sweatshirt. His hair was a tousled perfection like always and his eyes were a deep set of blue, "Hey."

I smile at him, "Hey!" He clears his throat and smirks, "You look nice sweetheart."

Sticking my tongue out at him, i say, "Thanks, you do too. Now let's go! I'm so excited!" I practically skip my way to his car. Kale snickers from behind me, "You're such a kid Rory."

~

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" I ask worriedly. Kale looks at me in annoyance, "Yes!"

I glance out the window as the care rolls forward. We were in a woodsy area that looked similar to the place where we were yesterday.

"Kale, if you're taking me to another party... I swear..." I warn. He smiles in return, "Relax sweetheart. We're not going to a party."

Studying his face, I conclude that he's not lying and try to relax into my seat. The sun was setting but I was hoping we would get to the fair before it fully set; there was nothing fun about riding a roller coaster when it's dark- well, at least I didn't think so.

About ten minutes later, after the sun had set (much to my disappointment) Kale pulled up to a parking lot full of cars. I turn to my partner, "Where's the fair?"

He scratches the back of his head, "Uh..."

~

"You brought me where!?"

"After Dark. Everyone playing has a different color paintball loaded gun. You basically where night vision goggles and try to hit the post people with your color of paintball."

"Kale, why didn't you just tell me where we were actually going? I couldn't have prepared appropriate clothing," I motion to my bare legs. He smiles sheepishly, "I wanted to surprise you!"

"Well... I'm surprised."

Kale grins, "Let's go!" Kale and I race towards the ticket booth. After we get the tickets, we head over to get our gear. I get the color purple while Kale gets green and it turns out we're the only one's playing in the specific field we were designated to.

Kale smirks at me, "How convenient." I glare at him, "You paid them to make it that it's just us two!"

"Why do you care Rory?" He taunts, "Scared?"

My glare deepens, "Oh, game on!" Our field manager, a middle-aged balding man named Tom, tells us all the rules and regulations before telling us to hide from one another. Putting on my goggles, I travel to a barricade of barrels and crouch low. 

Honestly, the darkness scared me.

From the distance, Tom blows his whistle, signalling the start of the game. As quietly as I can, I start crawling towards the other side of the barricade when all of a sudden, "BOO!"

"AHHHHHH!" I scream bloody murder, dropping my paintball gun on the ground. The culprit laughs his ass off, "That. Was. Priceless!"

Scowling, I grab my paintball gun and start shooting at Kale, "I see how it is!" He yells before shooting back his own. My scowl soon turns in a wide-bearing smile as I laugh hysterically and try to run away from Kale. However, he's too fast and soon enough, we're covered in paint from head to toe.

Kale offers me a hand off the ground and I gratefully take it. Tom greets us at the front with a smile, "I hope you enjoyed our field!"

I grin, "I did, thank you!"

"No problem ma'm. If you want to dry out the paint, we have towels in the bathrooms. Other than that, I will leave you two for tonight. Good night!"

Kale and I wave goodbye to the kind man before heading to the bathrooms and cleaning up. When I look in the mirror, I literally laugh at myself. I looked completely ridiculous with paint everywhere- on my clothes, my legs, my shoes, and even in my hair! I wipe as much as I can off before exiting towards a patiently waiting Kale.

"Thanks for this," I tell him as we walk to the car, "It was fun."

"Yeah," He agrees, "It was."

"Where do you want to go?"

"Go?" I ask Kale in confusion, "It's 8 already."

He shrugs, "So what? Let's go for ice cream."

Quickly, I agree. Who wouldn't say yes to ice cream? By the time we pull up to a local Culver's it's about 8:20.

After Kale brings back our orders, a chocolate cone for me and a strawberry cone for him, we find a table to sit down at.

"This used to be Vienna's favorite place," I state, recalling the days where Vienna would literally cry to eat at Culver's.

Kale chuckles, "She's a feisty one."

I laugh along with him, "Yeah, she definitely is."

"Just like her sister."

I mock hurt, "Is that an insult?"

Kale smirks and leans in closer, "Depends."

I stick my tongue out at him, "You're a loser."

He pokes my side, making me giggle, "Say sorry!"

"No!" He keeps poking me like he had earlier that day, "Say it!"

I laugh even harder.

"Rory?" Quickly, my laughing fades as my eyes look up into a pair of chocolate ones.

"Julian?" I ask in a surprised tone. He looks at Kale and then back at me, "So this is what you were doing? You're on another date?"

He sounds more sad than angry. "I-I" My mouth can't even form complete sentences. Julian shakes his head, "Never mind. I'll see you at school." He mumbles.

I stare at his retreating back in frustration.

Just when things were going right, they had to get worse.

__________________

Social Media Links:

FB:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Baby-Project/832129946813226

Instagram: manaal_ali

Twitter: its_manaal_yo

Tumblr: droppedjem

Ask FM: droppedjem

Email: officialdroppedjem@gmail.com

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 134 17
Alexis has fallen for the school bad boy. They are complete opposites but she couldnt help herslef. She just had to get a 'taste' of the badboy. Afte...
1.7K 213 41
Erica Davis did not have her life planned out like her friends did . If it was up to her , she would just leave her house and go work in a water park...
344K 40.1K 55
♡ Editor's Pick 2020 ♡ When Rachel, who had loved her best friend Lucas since she was a little girl, found out he loved her too, she couldn't be any...
6M 156K 48
Because high school isn't hard enough. Sadie Michaels got into the best high school in the country, excited to start her junior year and make the mos...