The Showstopper

By BabeLoRegui

Lauren Jauregui always had a life long dream of making it to Broadway and to do that, audition to attend NYU... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
New Story
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Part 1)
Chapter 23 (Part 2)
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (Part 1)
Chapter 28 (Part 2)
Chapter 29 (Part 1)
Chapter 29 (Part 2)
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 (Final)

Chapter 20

4K 111 7
By BabeLoRegui

A/N: A few songs are in this so if you want, I recommend listening to them while reading the lyrics to get the full experience. Broadway original cast recordings or Glee versions are good.

Lauren's POV

"Babe," I whispered before kissing Camila's head. It was 7 am and time for us to get ready for our auditions. I kissed her head a few times and stroked her cheek. She stirred a bit under the covers, turning away from me.

    "Camzi, time to wake up," I said quietly.

    "No," she groaned into the pillow.

    "Yes, our auditions are today," I rubbed her arm up and down.

    "I'm scared."

    "So am I but we won't fulfill our dreams if we don't go," I then went to massage her scalp.

    "I just want it to be over," she groaned now facing me.

    "I know and it will be once we get up and start the day. I promise it'll be over before you know it," I kissed her head once again.

    "You always know what to say," she half smiled.

    We then got out of bed and got ready, showering (together to save time), dressing, doing hair and makeup. I dressed in a white long sleeved cropped sweater, black skinny jeans, and black platform boots. Camila dressed in a red off the shoulder lace top, washed black jeans, and light gray boots. We also had dance outfits for the dance call.

We also warmed up our voices together in the bathroom and did a last minute rehearsal of our songs and monologues.

    "Perfect," I nodded smiling once Camila finished her song.

    "You sure?" she asked nervously.

    "Absolutely. I will be outraged if you don't get in."

    "Same with you. Yours is incredible."

    It was around 8:15 when we were just about ready. We went downstairs for our complimentary breakfast which was good so we didn't have to pay for any more expensive things. Then, we took the subway to the building where we were going to audition.

    It was a good thing I knew my way around quickly and easily. New York City was my second home. I felt like a local already. And I couldn't wait to officially live here next fall. My family and I have been coming to the city about twice a year for my dad's important meetings for the advertising company he works for. He was a supervisor of the Miami office but would meet with the supervisors from other cities and executives in the NYC office. It used to be just my dad that went, but when I was about 10, my dad finally let the whole family tag along. We would stay for a week in the spring and late fall time and I would go to every Broadway show I could, using my dad's benefits of getting ticket discounts since he advertised through Playbill. I would be running around, dragging Taylor and Chris, going to at least one show a day. Two if I'm lucky, matinée and evening. That's how I've seen so many. I see at least 20 a year, I know, insane. I couldn't go with my dad this past November due to my rehearsal schedule for the musical at school but I wasn't complaining. I loved doing Les Mis and the rehearsals have been so much fun.

    Once we got there, there were a bunch of people. Around 70 candidates and their parents. Camila and I felt a little awkward being only two girls there just by themselves. We then checked in and some guy split us up into about five groups. Luckily I was with Camila since we were both musical theater. Our auditor was a sweet young woman named Roberta White who was a Tisch musical theater professor. We did stretches and fun exercises that helped us warm up and get loose. We changed into our dance attire which were bright leotard's so we stood out more, spanx, and jazz shoes.

    We were ready for the dance auditions and it was held by a ballet and jazz teacher and some students. The song they played was Carly Rae Jepsen's "Run Away With Me." The steps weren't very hard since not everyone was a dancer but I thought Camila and I did pretty well. The teacher and students were eyeing us closely and taking notes. They already had our head shots from our resumés so they knew who we were. It was fun overall but hopefully we did enough for us to make an impression.

    After that, we went together near the room we needed to be in for our acting and singing audition and interview. Each audition took a while since you had to do one monologue and two songs if you're in music theater. I looked over the lines for my monologue which was from the play, A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. Each person that came out of the room wasn't looking too confident or sure of themselves which typically should've been the feeling they had before they walked in, not after. I was getting more stressed out as the turns went down the line. I was shaking and Camila could tell too.

    "Babe, you okay?" she put her hand on my shoulder.

    "I-I," I stuttered. I never felt this nervous before. Nerves were good but not this much.

    "Here, drink some water," she handed me a bottle. I took some sips and wiped my forehead from the nervous sweat. "Take deep breaths."

    I followed that too. "Sorry, I-I'm just so nervous. I-I don't know why; I've never been like this before," I explained shakily.

    "Laur, you're going to do so well. I believe in you and you have to too," she took my hand and kissed the back of it. "This your dream. You are going to go into that room and own it, coming out a champion. You were born to do this. You have the talent and determination, and now you're auditioning for the school that will train you to be the best performer out there. Go for your dream and take it. You got this."

    "Patti's advice," I smiled.

    "Be like Patti."

    "Okay," I took another deep breath and it was finally my turn. "Oh my god," I gasped.

    "Good luck, babe. Show them what you're made of," Camila smiled and pulled me into a warm hug and kiss. "I love you. You're gonna do amazing."

    "Thanks. I love you too," I nervously smiled back. I slowly got up with my folder and walked into the audition room, greeted by Roberta.

    "Hello," Roberta smiled. "Nice to meet you. I'm Roberta as you probably already know," she chuckled.

    "Nice to meet you too. My name is Lauren Jauregui," I grinned standing over in the space.

    "Alright, Lauren, I have your resumé up and see that you're a senior at South Miami High School in Miami, Florida," Roberta said looking over the document.

    "That's correct," I nodded.

    "And you've been in several productions over the past few years. Also, landing lead roles in Chicago, Les Mis, and Anything Goes. I'm impressed," she smirked, causing me to smile even bigger.

    "You seem to have a passion for acting and also singing," Roberta said.

    "I do. Acting, singing, and even dancing. I just love performing and it's always been a dream of mine to be able to do for the rest of my life."

    "Wonderful," she nodded grinning. "Okay so, why don't you start with your monologue, then sing your songs, and I'll ask you a few more questions after."

    "Okay," I nodded. This part was the most important because even if I didn't make it into the musical theater studio, I could still get into the acting studio. So, I needed to absolutely nail this. I recited the monologue, thankfully remembering each line. I put in the emotion and passion I needed for it.

    Roberta barely even looked at me since she was on her laptop. But I knew she was taking notes so I didn't worry too much. She gave me some notes and gave me another opportunity to do it again which was good. I did even better and felt more comfortable afterwards.

    "Well done, Lauren," Roberta smiled. "Alright, now, your songs."

    I walked over to the pianist and gave him the sheet music for each of my songs. I hummed the tempo to the first and introduced it to Roberta. "The first song I will be singing is 'People' from the musical, Funny Girl." This was my favorite song from the musical. Well, movie. I first saw it when I was 5 and instantly loved it. Barbra is truly a queen.

    "Yay, one of my favorites," Roberta giggled. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves and began.

We travel single-oh

Maybe we're lucky, but I don't know

With them, just let one kid fall down

And seven mothers faint

I guess we're both happy, but maybe

We ain't

People

People who need people

Are the luckiest people in the world

We're children, needing other children

And yet letting our grown up pride

Hide all the need inside

Acting more like children

Than children

Lovers are very special people

They're the luckiest people

In the world

With one person

One very special person

A feeling deep in your soul

Says you were half, now you're whole

No more hunger and thirst

But first be a person

Who needs people

People who need people

Are the luckiest people

In the world   

    Roberta finished typing her notes but she was smiling which I thought was a good sign. "Okay, and your next one."

    "My second song is 'What I Did for Love' from the musical, A Chorus Line." This was a big song especially at the end since I was going to belt. A Chorus Line was one of the first Broadway shows I've seen in New York. I had to channel my inner Diana Morales, a character who I've always loved. Watching Natalie Cortez own that role, inspired me. I hummed the tempo to the pianist again and took another deep breath.

Kiss today goodbye,

The sweetness and the sorrow

Wish me luck, the same to you

But I can't regret

What I did for love,

What I did for love

Look, my eyes are dry

The gift was ours to borrow

It's as if we always knew

And I won't forget

What I did for love

What I did for love

Gone

Love is never gone

As we travel on

Love's what we'll remember

Kiss today goodbye

And point me toward tomorrow

We did what we had to do

Won't forget, can't regret

What I did for love

What I did for love

What I did for love

Love is never gone

As we travel on

Love's what we'll remember

Kiss today goodbye

And point me toward tomorrow

Oh, We did what we had to do

Won't forget, can't regret

What I did for love

What I did for love

What I did for love

    "Wow, Lauren, you have a remarkable voice," Roberta complimented cheerfully. "I can't really say that to everyone but I was honestly very impressed."

    "Thank you so much, Professor," I beamed feeling very proud of my performance. I literally gave it my all. I put it all out there and felt so relieved hearing that she at least liked it. She called me over to sit down and she asked me questions like, why did I want to audition for NYU, what I did outside of theater, and why should they accept me.

    The other hobbies question was kind of difficult since I didn't really have very many interests other than the performing arts, just like Patti. I did like visual arts though such as drawing, painting, and photography. I did much of that when I was grounded and had to stay home most of the time. I explained that I have been an artist in many aspects ever since I was born. I grew up having a passion for self freedom and expression, and just creating beautiful things. The world is art to me. It saves people and it saved me. I answered all the questions to the best of my ability and not long after that, my audition was over.

    "Lauren," Camila ran over to me hugging me tightly. "How did you do?"

    "I think I did pretty well," I nodded. "She said she was impressed."

    "Really? That's great! I knew you would do amazing," she stated proudly.

    "Thanks. I gave it my all and now it's over. I can finally breathe," I chuckled. "You're gonna do so well too, Camz. Roberta's so nice and makes you feel really comfortable."

    "Does she? Okay good because I'm freaking out right now." I could see she was trembling.

    "Don't worry, babe. Just follow all the amazing advice you gave me. It helped a lot. And if I could do it, you can very well do it," I pulled her into another warm hug. "I love you to the moon and back."

Camila's POV

    After hearing how well Lauren did on her audition, I was so happy for her. She believed she had a good shot at getting in and that didn't surprise me. Lauren was definitely getting accepted.

    Now, it was my turn. I walked into the room and greeted Roberta. She looked over my resumé, telling me she was impressed with the shows and the lead roles I played. Some of them being Chicago, The King and I, Cabaret, The Little Mermaid, The Sound of Music, and obviously now, Les Misérables.

    I first performed my monologue which was from Five Women Wearing the Same Dress by Alan Ball. I did that to the best of my ability and got to do it over again after she gave me some notes to improve. Fortunately, she liked it which was good since I at least had a good shot at getting into the acting studios.

    After that, was the singing. My first song was "Neverland" from Finding Neverland. It was a new musical but already one of my favorites and I just really liked the song's dynamic. The pianist had the sheet music and began.

Whenever I was frightened

Or if I ever felt alone

I turned to the night sky

And a star I call my own

Somewhere I could run to

Just across the Milky Way

If you like I could take you

It's just a light year and a day

We can sail away tonight

On a sea of pure moonlight

We can navigate the stars

To bring us back home

In a place so far away

We'll be young

That's how we'll stay

Every wish is a command

We will find ourselves in Never Neverland

Picture a land that you never have seen

Where life is eternal and evergreen

A future of happiness all in your hands

All in this place of your dreams

Here inside Neverland

We can sail away tonight

On a sea of pure moonlight

We can navigate the stars

To bring us back home

In a place so far away

We'll be young

That's how we'll stay

Every wish in a command

We will find ourselves

In Never Neverland

Every wish is a command

I am closer now

To finding Neverland

    Roberta finished typing her notes and I sang the next song which was "Someone Like You" from Jekyll & Hyde. This was one of my favorite show tunes of all time. Even now more than ever since I found that someone who I never thought I would have. Lauren. Lucy Harris is such an interesting character and I always related to her longing to find someone out there who would love her even when she felt the least deserving. I used to feel alone all my life. But now, I have a true love and I'm not lonely anymore; I do feel alive. The first time I sang it to Lauren, which was a few weeks ago, I had tears in my eyes because the lyrics meant that much to me. I loved her that much. It's a good song for me to audition with because I have that passion when I perform it and the auditor would clearly see that.

I peer through windows

Watch life go by

Dream of tomorrow

And wonder why

The past is holding me

Keeping life at bay

I wander lost in yesterday

Wanting to fly

But scared to try

But if someone like you

Found someone like me

Then suddenly

Nothing would ever be the same

My heart would take wing

And I'd feel so alive

If someone like you found me

So many secrets

I've long to share

All I have needed

Is someone there

To help me see a world

I've never seen before

A love to open every door

To set me free so I can soar

If someone like you

Found someone like me

Then suddenly

Nothing would ever be the same

There'd be a new way to live

A new life to love

If someone like you found me

Oh, if someone like you

Found someone like me

Then suddenly

Nothing would ever be the same

My heart would take wing

And I'd feel so alive

If someone like you, loved me

Loved me, loved me

    Roberta complimented me, saying I was really talented which was honestly the best thing I've heard from someone since she was from New York and has seen an abundance of talent in her life. The passion and emotion I had in "Someone Like You," I guess really helped which I thought it would. I felt accomplished and actually successful. I answered the questions afterwards, explaining to her my love for the performing arts. I want to be doing this for the rest of my life. Nothing else would make me happy; this is what I live for. By attending NYU, I will be able to become the best artist I could be. I want to use the skills I will have developed and show that to an audience eight times a week. Theater is my heart and soul.

    "How was it?!" Lauren rushed over to me once I came out of the audition room.

    "Great, I think. She said I was really talented and killed the belt in 'Someone Like You.' I think I have a good shot," I smiled.

    "That's amazing, Camz! See? I told you you would nail it."

    "Thanks, baby. I love you," I pecked her lips.

    "Love you more. Alright, let's get out of here. Our auditions are over but I still feel the nervousness from all the other people which makes me nauseous," she giggled and we both headed out of the building.

A/N: Yay! We made it!! Finally that's out of the way. Hopefully this was detailed and accurate enough. I don't really know what it's like auditioning for a performing arts school since I've never done it before lol. Only a couple more chapters of cute fluff till things start to get really interesting 😈
Twitter & Tumblr: BabeLoRegui ❤️❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.7K 1.7K 28
Lauren has moved to New York City with her three best friends to start her college life. She's excited to leave the drama of high school but she find...
2.3M 51.3K 70
What happens when Camila Cabello meets her celebrity crush Lauren Jauregui?
441K 9.6K 47
Lauren Jauregui is an intern for a photography company. She was assigned to a project for a runway and her eyes and camera happens to capture the eye...
63.1K 1.5K 4
Camila and Lauren love each other but don't know how to deal with it (mostly Lauren though). Best friends to lovers AU ...