Numb

By VoiceThief

Ivan Summers, highest ranking boss in all of New York, owner of many music and movie franchises, is Jayden's... More

Prologue
Numb Ch. 1
Numb Ch. 2
Numb Ch. 3
Numb Ch. 5
Numb Ch. 6
Numb Ch. 7

Numb Ch. 4

57 5 0
By VoiceThief

I deleted the other chapters guys. I'm sorry if you liked the first person view of Jayden, but I'm writing in third person now. Don't worry Jayden and Michelle are not gone. I just want to start with james. james is the first four chapters, then it's jayden, then jesse. i'm not going to do anyone else, because no one else has a story. thanks.

VOMMENT AND FAN.

~*~

Then James found himself sitting in the dingy bar, next to Mo, and hesitating. He wasn't sure where to start or how to phrase it.

Mo sighed, then stood up after ten minutes of waiting for James to start speaking. "When you find the right words, here's my address." He dropped a business card on the counter, and left. James tucked it into his pocket, gathered his dignity, and rejoined his brother and the two blondes.

At the table, Natasha sat pouting, while Jed tried to touch Sasha through her shirt as the dessert came. When Natasha saw James her face lit up.

"James-y!" she screeched. "Where in tarnation have you been, honey-boo?" She reached her arms out toward the disgusted man.

"Don't call me that." He proceeded to take his seat as Zeb backed out of the kitchen carrying a heavy tray of desserts. Jed smirked.

"Watch this," he whispered to the excited girls and his bored brother. He stuck his foot out to trip Zeb as neared the table. But Zeb saw it coming and skirted around it, placing the tray down on the holder before any real damage was done. James snorted into his hand at Zeb's coyness, and Zeb felt please with himself that he could make James Summers feel anything besides anger, even if it was just for one moment.

Sasha smiled at Zeb politely, and thanked him when the delicacy was placed in front of her. Natasha squealed and a swiped at the frosting of her cake with a long, bony, manicured finger and pretended to moan. She intended to make it sound sexy, James could tell, but it only sounded obnoxious and loud, and caused a few people to throw hateful glances at her. He wished he was the one to end up with Sasha. She seemed like a nice girl, while Natasha was way too easy and desperate. Sasha had some meat on her bones, which James liked more than Natasha's skeleton-skinny, most likely bulimic body. Sasha kept up nice, intelligent conversations, while occasionally giving Jed a few kisses. But all Natasha ever did was feel James' body, or lick his neck, or grasp his hand. It truly did disgust him.

At the end of the meal, James was close to breaking the girl's neck and tossing her off a cliff. But then Zeb appeared out of nowhere and placed the check down on the table, giving James a secretive smile that made him want to smile back. And that never happened for anyone.

Jed yawned. "I'm ready to zonk out."

"If you're too tired I can drive," Sasha suggested politely.

However, Jed didn't think it was so polite. He cackled as he tossed his head back, slapping his hand on his knee. "You wanna drive my porsche?" he shouted drunkenly.

"Jed, don't..." James warned. This happened every time.

Heads whipped in their direction. Men in business suits and women in fancy dresses dared to scowl at a Summers boy. But he was drunk, so it wasn't like he was going to remember. An embarrassed blush formed on Sasha's face.

"Sorry, I didn't know-" she started to apologize.

"Girls don't drive cars like mine. They can't handle it. Women should just stay in the kitchen. Am I right, men?" he shouted to the restaurant. When not a single male answered, he waved his hand in dismissal. "Ah, buncha pussies." He reached to take a slug of his beer only to find it disappointingly empty.

"You're an asshole, Jed Summers. I can't believe I agreed to go out with you." Sasha gave him a look of disgust before grabbing her sister's hand and pulling her from the galleria, despite Natasha's protests.

Zeb cleared his throat at James. "If you'll just sign here..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know the drill." James was used to being invited out to dinner by his brother then having to pay the price of the gourmet meal because Jed was too inebriated to even think properly. Which was why he always managed to snag his father's black card before he left the house.

Zeb appeared back with the card and as James went to reach for it, their hands touched. Electricity shot up his arm and his heart started beating irregularly. James jumped out of his seat, but his legs were like jelly and he wobbled on them. Zeb stared at him in surprise. James shook his head.

"Night," he said in a gruff voice. He cleared his throat.

"Good night, James." He looked up at the use of his name. "Sweet dreams. Don't let the bed bugs bite." Zeb picked up the check and walked back to the kitchen, leaving James in a daze. Then he snapped himself out of it and tucked the card into his wallet.

He walked outside to his brother ranting and raving and only put in enough effort to drag his brother to the parking lot, then he let the valets deal with the rest.

Walking leisurely down the sidewalk to where his car was parked, James stuffed his hands into his pockets. His breath came out in white puffs and when they cleared he recognized the pretty blonde twins shivering in the cold night air.

"Need a ride?" he grunted when he reached them. Startled, Sasha's head whipped fast around, but she relaxed into a smile when she saw James' face.

"You don't have to..." He knew it meant yes, but she was too modest to ask for one. James went out of his way to make sure Sasha sat in the front and Natasha didn't. If he could, he would've made her sit in the trunk.

He cranked up the warm air and sighed when his face started to defrost. The ride was quiet and James was entirely grateful for that. He never was one for mindless chatting. Sasha directed him to her house and when he dropped her off she gave him a big hug and smile and said thanks. Then Natasha rubbed her lips on his and he almost punched her. Alas, however, he didn't. So he drove to the place he called supposedly called home and crashed onto his five-person bed.

No one tucked him in.

No one kissed his head.

No one said good night... But Zeb did and he kept replaying his sweet words over and over in his head, until he fell asleep with his arm behind his head and smile on his face.

~*~

When James was underwater, he could be himself. There were no lies, no secrets. He could be James, the confused, scared boy who loved everything his father hated. He could smile underwater and nobody would be there to gasp. He felt happy, like he wanted to giggle, a feeling he hadn't felt in a long time. Some people would think it weird, but James actually liked the ache of his lungs. It made him remember he was alive, because nothing else did. And it didn't necessarily hurt him to hold his breath for so long. It let him know he wasn't alone, that he had something to help him live. It was a large thought process for something as invisible as oxygen, but James didn't care.

However, he did need to refill his lungs, so he resurfaced and inhaled deeply, floating on his back and letting his skin soak up whatever sun peeked through the sun roof of the school's indoor pool.

"Oh, James-y! Honey-boo!" called a mocking voice. James' head snapped up as his feet sank down. Heaving a sigh, he swam over to the edge of the pool as Zeb knelt next to his head.

"Don't even remind me," James grumbled.

Zeb laughed. His laugh sounded like the music of the gods; it was so sweet and perfect. James couldn't help cracking a small smile at hearing it, before making sure to let it fade quickly so Zeb wouldn't see and ask questions.

"Could she be any more desperate?" Zeb scoffed, sitting criss-cross at the edge. "I mean, she was practically having an orgasm at the table."

"I'm just that sexy," James joked.

Zeb laughed again, nodding his agreement. Silence over came the air and James was about to cough to break it when he caught Zeb staring wistfully at the clear, blue water.

James swished his hand in it, catching Zeb's attention. "Wanna come in?"

Zeb shook his head too fast. "No. No thanks."

James cocked a brow, miffed by his nervous behavior. "You afraid of water?"

"No. I just can't swim in it."

Completely taken by surprise, James' jaw dropped. "You're a senior in high school and you don't know how to swim?"

"Actually, I'm a junior-"

James held up a hand, cutting the shorter boy off. "Regardless. You can't swim?"

Zeb frowned. "I'm pretty sure we established that."

Not being to contain it anymore, James put his head in the crook of his arm, leaning over the side of the pool, shaking with laughter.

"What's so funny about it?" Zeb defended, a pout forming on his lips.

"It's pathetic!" James sobered up slightly, but still let out a random chuckle here and there.

"No-"

"Yes!"

"Well, I never learned!"

"It's never too late, sweetheart." James swung out of the pool and wiped his face on a towel. He held his arms out as if offering advice, and said, "Get lessons."

"I can't afford lessons." Zeb stood and followed the angsty teenager to the doors leading out of the swimming area.

James shrugged, making it look like he didn't care. "Not my problem."

"Well, maybe you can teach me-" Zeb had been walking hot on the taller boy's heels, so when James turned abruptly to face the younger boy, their bodies collided. James ignored this, even though his face blushed red.

"You want me to teach you how to swim?"

Zeb nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! And I'm helping you with your work, so it'd be like fifty-fifty..." His voice trailed off when James shook his head and began walking away.

"Wait," Zeb whined, running to grab James' arm. Scowling, James ripped it out of his grip, pushing Zeb back by the shoulder.

"What?" he growled, glaring.

"Please teach me?"

James crossed his arms defiantly. "What's in it for me?"

Zeb gave him a stare of disbelief. "I'm tutoring you. What else do you want from me?"

James thought. He could get the kid to do anything he wanted. Clean his room, prepare sport ice baths, cut his meat... No, the last one was just ridiculous, he could do that himself. But maybe he could make Zeb his personal slave. James smirked at the idea.

"How about we make a deal?" James offered.

Zeb narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "What kind of deal?"

"I teach you how to swim, and you become my personal slave for however long it takes you to learn."

Zeb's mouth fell open incredulously. "Now I just don't think that's fair."

"Do you want to learn how to swim?"

"Well-"

"Do you want people to keep making fun of you for it?"

"No, but-"

"Then do we have a deal?" James sharply stuck out his hand. Zeb hesitated. "Do we have a deal?" James stressed with more force.

Zeb deflated, placing his hand in James'. "Fine, we have a deal."

James pumped his hand once then dropped it like it was on fire. "Good. Call me when you want to start."

~*~

A knock sounded at James' door.

"Go away," he groaned, pressing his pillow over his face. It was seven o'clock on a Saturday morning and James' only intentions were to sleep.

The person outside his door knocked again, this time harder and faster.

"What do you want?" James shouted.

"Just let me in, you big bafoon," his brother called.

"Leave me alone, Jed. I'm sleeping."

"I'm gonna bust down the door-"

James ripped it open with a glare on his sleep-tired face. "Don't even think about it."

"There's a girl in my room and I need you to get rid of her for me." James sighed, but didn't have enough energy to argue, so he trudged next door to Jed's room and stood in front of the girl, rubbing sleep out of his eyes.

A stubborn looking girl sat naked on Jed's king size bed, her arms crossed defiantly under her huge breasts. She sniffed when James walked in. James hardly paid any attention to her.

"My brother has herpes. I'm sorry to say you're probably infected," James grunted. "You should probably tell your friends to stay away from him."

She lifted her nose higher into the air and assumed a snotty expression. "He didn't look like he had herpes. Besides, I could care less. I love him."

James snorted. "Right, okay. Listen, bitch, get out of my house. I'm tired, and hungry and my mom is at work and no one is going to make me breakfast. Do you know what you're doing right now?" He didn't wait for an answer and continued his tirade. "You're making people hate you. No one wants to be around you. You're a slimy whore with a loose vagina that guys don't find pleasing. Your boobs aren't real, your hair is too big, and your tan is obviously fake. So why don't you run down to the grocery store and pick up some dignity?"

He ignored the tears welling up in her eyes as she huffily stood up and tugged her clothes on. "Fine, you jerk." Then she mumbled under her breath, "I don't need him, I don't need anybody." By then, tears were already streaming past her lids and down her cheeks.

Did it make James feel bad? Maybe a little. Did he regret saying any of it? Not necessarily. It felt good to let go of some of his anger.

After she left, making sure to slam the front door, Jed stumbled into his own room, choked up with laughter. "That was amazing!" he praised.

"Whatever," James grumbled, shoving past his brother to head to the kitchen.

"Morning, James," Spencer greeted from the stove. She was stood over a pan of chocolate chip pancakes and sausage. The aroma made James' stomach growl.

"I love you, Spence," he sighed, plopping into a chair across from Jesse, who was holding a picture in his hands. He sighed at it dreamily.

James scowled at him. "What's up with you?"

"Isn't she beautiful?" Jesse asked. He turned the picture around to reveal a very pretty girl.

"I guess. Who is she?" James leaned back in his seat, bringing his brother's untouched orange juice to his mouth.

"That's Karla," Spencer filled in when she noticed Jesse wasn't going to. She placed a plate of breakfast in front of James, who muttered a small thanks.

"Oh, yeah, the one who's whipped our brother." Spencer and James rolled their eyes, but stifled their laughter when Jess glared at them.

"I think I'm in love," Jesse decided, rubbing the picture against his chest and giggling like a schoolgirl. "I've never felt this way before. There are butterflies in my stomach when I think about her, I actually look forward to being in school. I do all my homework, because I know she's smart and would appreciate a guy who actually cares about his future." He looked up hopelessly at his siblings. "Guys, I've had many girlfriends. I've never felt this way," he repeated.

"Do you want to bang her?" James teased. Spencer snorted into her pancakes.

"Is that even a question?" Jesse pulled out another picture, a full length one. "Look at her body! God, I just want to-"

"We don't want to know," James and Spencer rushed out at the same.

Jesse laughed, but then consumed a depressed, longing look. "What do I do? She won't even talk to me. She knows I like her and she won't even give me the time of day! I mean, I work at a vet, but only because I know she likes animals. I leave notes in her locker-"

"Whoa," James interrupted, holding up a hand. "What are you, in middle school?"

"Yeah, really," Spencer added. "Just ask the girl out, already!"

"I have! She always turns me down." He stared sadly into his lap.

James clapped his shoulder reassuringly. "Just stay confident, buddy." He ruffled his hair and got up to place his empty plate in the sink. Then the doorbell rang.

James looked lazily around the kitchen to see who would open the door; he was only half dressed. Everyone had already gone upstairs, though, so he sighed and dragged himself to the door.

"What are you doing here?" James cried incredulously at the sight of Zeb standing on his doorstep, smiling largely.

"I'm here for my swimming lesson," Zeb replied. "Can I come in?"

"No," James snapped. He pushed Zeb back and came outside, ignoring the cold wind nipping at his exposed chest and closing the door. "My brothers are home. They can't see that you don't know how to swim. You'll never hear the end of it." James frowned at the concerned tone in his voice. "N-not that I care."

"You do care!" Zeb reveled, pointing at James and jumping slightly. James blushed and Zeb laughed, spinning around happily. "This is priceless!"

"Shut up," James bayed. "We can't swim here, but wait a few minutes and I'll take you to where we can. Let me just get dressed." He made a move to go back inside, but Zeb caught his arm.

"Are you really going to make lil' ol' me wait outside?" he pouted. James made a face, but caved when he saw how cute Zeb looked with puppy dog eyes.

"Fine," he sighed. He was doing an awful lot of that today. He let Zeb in and quickly rushed up to his room, tossing on swim trunks and a tank top, slipping into flip flops, washing his face and brushing his teeth, then grabbing his phone, sunglasses and keys.

He called out to no one in particular, "I'm leaving, bye!" Then he grabbed Zeb's arm and shoved him into his car, speeding off to show Zeb a place he's never shown anybody.

~*~

Sorry about the many months late upload, ahaha.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

767K 6.6K 42
Alyssa Conaway, a smart good girl, was best friends with the infamous quadruplets Jayden, Brandon, Derek, and Seth (the boys are not related at all...
3.3M 176K 43
[FIRST BOOK IN THE 'HIS' SERIES] [2017] "Hi." Kyla smiles nervously. "Hi." Cole greets back, just as nervously. The boys and I share a roll of the ey...
105 7 18
I look down at my hands and start crying again, "I-i'm sorry, Jayden." 
 He pulls me onto his lap and hugs me, I put my shaking hand on his cheek, "J...
39.3K 1.6K 63
Book 1 of The Fly Series . . . His eyes turn red and his jaw begins to tremble. "I'm toxic. I'm arrogant. I'm awful. What else? I'm a misogynist. A s...