Nothing Wrong With Being a To...

By Dostomozartsky

People say that love is in every corner... looks like Riley's been walking in circles. You see, Riley is a pr... More

Chapter 1: Bats, Punches, and Crushes
Chapter 2: Overconfident Tomboy
Chapter 3: Deal With an Imp ✔
Chapter 4: First Date ✔
Chapter 5: Little Did He Know ✔
Chapter 6: Riley Benjamin Doesn't Blush
Chapter 7: Weak Truth
Chapter 9: Cupid Takes Over
Chapter 10: A Night to Remember
Chapter 11: Lost in Our Hands
Chapter 12: Bad News, Good Miseries
Chapter 13: Crushed From Rolling in Woe
Chapter 14: Shanghaied By Feelings
Chapter 15: Lies and Other Agonies
Chapter 16: Loss of Bravado
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 17: A Drop of Love in the Ocean Of Hopelessness
Chapter 18: The Word Left Unsaid
Chapter 19: New Start; New Costume
Chapter 20: In Your Deadly Arms
Chapter 21: Rout Even
Chapter 22: Going Out of My Head
Chapter 23: Throwaway Twofold
Chapter 24: Fraidy-cat's Nods
Chapter 25: Through Gardenias
Chapter 26: Soppy Hearts
Chapter 27: Better, Restored, Lovelier
Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours
Chapter 29: The Beginning of the End
Acknowledgments

Chapter 8: The Tomboy, the Player & the Wardrobe

53.9K 1.3K 179
By Dostomozartsky

 Riley

    “Riley, I have to tell you something.”

     My heart easily melts at the sound of his deep, baritone, and husky voice. Oh, Ayden, one more time. Say it! Say my name.

     “Riley,” my name echoed the walls of my heart.

     “Ayden, say my name one more time, just one—“ I begged to him as I suffered painful spasms of happiness.

    “Riley,” he cupped my face in his hands; the abysmal passion hit me like waves of the ocean crashing all around me. “Riley,” he retold. My eyes were deadlocked with his cerulean deep icy eyes as my soul escaped from my body for just a second.

   “Yes, Ayden?” I fluttered my eyelashes at him with a seductive smile. Whoa, since when I became so flirty? Ew, gross!

   “Riley,” he muttered with a huge smirk on his lips. Oh, that smirk that makes my brain explode.

  “Yes, Ayden?” I asked again, a little bit irritated this time.

   “I love you.” He said before leaning closer to me and pressing his indulgent lips on mine.

   “Butch!”

   I pulled off of Ayden’s lips, as I heard shouts coming from the distance.

   “Andrew?” I asked myself, looking around for the one who bawled my name.

   “Yes,” the man, that cupped my cheeks and kissed me, said. And when I looked up to see him, I was startled. It wasn’t Ayden, it was Andrew.

  “Riley.” Andrew whispered warmly with a beautiful smirk painted on his lips and with sparkling eyes as he suddenly began to evaporate.

  “No! Andrew!” I yelled with a huge effort to make him appear again. “Andrew! Come back!”

  “Riley… Riley… Riley…”

   My name was repeatedly uttered from far away as I rotated from one place to another in search for Ayden… for Andrew?

   “Riley!” A slap was smacked across my face as I was engage in a dream… or better said, nightmare.

   My cheek burned as I flickered my eyes. My strained sight saw the sun shining down on me and a face shadowing the gleaming beauty. “What the sparkling Yoda?”

   “Riley! Wake up!” a familiar yet strange voice shouted while some unknown fingers grasped my tee and shook me.

   “The fudge?!” I tried to open my heavy rebel eyelids but soon it became a hard task.

   “I’m a Star Wars fan too and I like fudge. Isn’t that supper cookie mookie?” the squealing voice continued to interrupt my nap and my weird… weird dream.

   “Huh?” I raised my head to look up and to my surprise the freak girl stood in front of me.

    “Hi!” she squeaked, waving her hands in excitement. What a dork!

    “Oh, no. What part of ‘don’t follow me’ you don’t understand? Maybe I’ll have to give you a kick in the ass to earn you a hint,” I mumbled the last part as I stood up and swiped the dirt off my stupid jean skirt.

   “You were lying on the ground. Dirt, germs, pollen, and little creatures that aren’t visible are now resting in your behind.” She sated as a scientific fact.

   “No way?!” I feigned astonishment.

   She nodded her head vigorously in return. One word: pathetic. “Look, kiddo—“

   “I’m older than you, you supposed to respect me.”

    “Hey! What the—? Now that is creepy! You ain’t older than me,” I snapped at the interrupting girl—that has been following me since I “dated” Andrew, non-stop. What a torture!

   “Oh, yes. I read your record and you were born in September, I was born in February in the same year. That makes me older than you,” she cockishly said. Now, looking at her it makes me wonder what the heck she is. Something about her is different and different is good.

   “Ok, mom, what do you want anyways? Do you want me to touch your head again?”

   “I’m Natasha Wooyoung and I’ve decided to be your friend,” she extended her hand for me to shake it.

    My eyes fell at her hand and then, rose back at her eyes that were hidden behind thick rimmed nerd glasses while I kept the ‘Are you serious?’ mask. “Ha,” I snorted, “Well, Natasha Wongong, I’m Riley Benjamin and I’ve decided to kick you in the ass. How that sounds?”

   “Nice to meet you Riley Benjamin!” she grinned before she shook her own hand, “Since we’re gonna be friends now, I want you to know some things about me. Because I know everything about you and it’ll be weird if you don’t anything about me, your new best friend.”

  “Weirder than stalking me?” I frowned at her. But it was her turn to show a mask, a hair-raising one indeed, I call it the ‘Why so serious?’ one by the Joker.

   “Yes! Actually, stalking is a big mean word—let’s put it like knowing things from you indirectly. Anyways, I’m half Korean, part Italian, and part Ethiopian. The forbidden love my ancestors shared is like a totally romantic historical novel. My pastimes are reading, studying, and that’s it.”

  “Wow, you are my bore role model,” I scoffed scornfully, “That’s it?”

  “Pretty much.” She smiled. This girl is crazy and screwy! “Here, you need it more than I do!”

   She took out from her big bizarre purse, an acne cream and handed it over to me, “What in the world?” I asked dreading the answer.

   She pointed up my forehead and made a weird expression by scrunching her little nose, “I think it’ll work in hours, so don’t worry. Andrew won’t see it.”

   With a wink she grinned like the stupid nerd she is. “Wow, thanks, I forgot about it.” My words were sunk in exasperation and sarcasm.

   “No problemo with nacho and manuelito,” she guffawed awfully as I dabbed a little bit of the cream on my huge pimple that has appeared thanks to the beautiful stinking stress.

   “Thanks, Skittles,” I mumbled.

   “Wha-what? Skittles?” she adjusted her glasses with doubt and wariness written all over her flimsy face full of different ethnicities. “I have a name! Natasha!”

   “Yeah, yeah, Skittles, have a nice day.” I waved goodbye at her disappointed face.

   “Wait! Ok, call me whatever you want, but please, just promise me that you’ll let me be your friend.”

   “Being my friend won’t instantly give you the answer of your prayers, and between us, it won’t bring the man of your dreams, either.”

   “I know. I just want to be your friend. Please, promise!” she begged like a little kid. And she’s older than me? Olivia is older than me—mentally— not her.

   “Will you leave me alone?” I narrowed my eyes, waiting for her answer.

   She bended down her head and sighed, “Yes.”

  “Good! Then, we are ‘b’ of ‘f’ and freaking ‘f’, or whatever that stands for.”

   “You mean B.F.F.’s? For real?! No kidding?” Her eyes shone with ingenuousness; oh boy, is she naïve.

    “Yes—I mean, no kidding. Now shoo!”

    “Yes, yes! Bye Riley!” She cried with joy as she ran towards nowhere and waved goodbye.

    Unbelievable! I’m just friends with freakazoid and I didn’t even see it coming. But if I want to be something in life it would be loyal something. So, I guess this girl just made a new loyal friend. Lucky her…

   “I am your father. No!” My cell phone started to ring in the middle of my meditation, and yeah, Darth Vader is in my text tone. 

    I’m back! Did you miss me? Meet me at our secret spot! –Boba.

   A chuckle slipped out of my mouth as I read his text. A lot has happened in a month, I mean, Boba and I are… friends? No, ok, we are not friends, instead we’re something else. Ah, it’s hard to define my relationship with Andrew; it’s just Boba and Butch. Yeah, that’s it.

    I’ve been able to strangely open up with him and tell him things I don’t even tell my family. And he might be a stupid jerk, but has helped me so much; I just couldn’t deny the inviting embrace of his companionship. But this past week he went away with Larry on a business trip and well, let’s say I kinda—um, well, eh, um… ok I missed him! I did. The first day I felt relaxed and tense free but the next day was boring and I wanted to insult Boba so badly. But at least we texted each other while he was in California. Look at us, I thought in the middle of our texting, we act like a real couple. Texting stupid things about California and stuff.

   Secret spot! I know where that is!

    My legs sprinted towards the community park as fast as they could, ignoring the pounding sound my white combat boots made at the collision of its sole with the concrete and also snubbing the throbbing sensation my brain pulsed at the end of every step. Go faster, I hurried myself, go faster! And my legs obeyed by speeding up turbo quicker and wilder.

   “Hi, Riley!” I heard a kid from my social politics class greet during my sprint.

   “Hey, Riley!” a popular dumbass jock saluted as well as I ran faster.

   "Look! There’s Riley, the girl Andrew dumped Lora for!” a girl squeaked as I drifted a corner near the exit.

    Lately, I became numb to “complimenting” comments like those and the greetings of strangers and people that used to pick on me because I am a tomboy. That’s why now I take a nap on the secret old campus’ garden, which now isn’t a secret thanks to Skittles. Anyways, I don’t know why they used to hate on me, being a tomboy is not about the style is about the attitude. And hell yeah I can kick some asses in heels; I just prefer to exterminate in my boots. What’s the damn problem? Barbie bitches!

   “Whew!” I wheezed when I arrived at the park’s enter. Kids were running around, dogs were barking, a preoccupied mom yelled her son’s name, all that and more was painted and recorded in this beautiful scenario.

   I wandered around the swings—where we usually started to hang out— and still only kids were seen.

   “Oh, gees,” I mumbled to myself.

   “Are you gonna sit down or you’ll stand there staring?”

   I turned around surprised and happy to hear his voice, and there he was a tanner looking same old Boba.

   “Boba!” I flung myself on him, hugging him and screaming his name.

   “Whoa. Who are you and what have you done with Butch?” he said surprised as I hugged him tighter. “You really missed me, didn’t ya?”

   I could sense his grin at the tone of his voice and my reply was: “No. I didn’t miss ya, I’m just hugging you because I lost a bet.”

  “Charming as always, Butch. But I’ll tell you something, I did miss arguing with you,” he chuckled while he ran his fingers through his thick shiny black hair.

  “It ain’t that the truth?” I crossed my arms across my chest as I gave him a doubtful look, “Hey, you didn’t told me you went to the beach there in California! You look like a carrot! Did you cut your hair?”

   “Not so! And yes, I did learned how to surf for your information. Senseless child!” He seemed a little bit off by my last comment so I decided to give him a welcome party by being nice and not so grumpy.

   “But you actually look very nice—you look eye-catching, like those surfers in the movies.”

   “Huh?” he was taken aback by my unexpected compliment. “Ah, um, eh, thank you.” Andrew scratched the back of his head while a smile spread across his face, and his cheeks redden a bit.

   “Are you blushing?” I teased—man, I missed this.

   “What-what? Hell no!” he hid his face and started to whistle. I think he’s playing like always.

   “Can I ask you a question? Are you falling for me?” I teased… wait, am I flirting? Oh, no! The dream-nightmare! No, Riley calm down, stop, stay, sit, shut up!

   “What did you just said?” Whoa, his eyes bulged out in disbelief. Dang, I might be ugly but I’m not that ugly. Jebus!

    “T-t-ta! Em, uh,” he cleared his throat and then continued with cockiness, “In your dreams, Butch. I’m good-looking, I’m rich, and I’m perfect so why wouldn’t you fall for me?”

   “Oh, you my lord, have a point. I will fall in Octember, just wait for it,” I spat with sarcasm as a grin appeared, “Ok, Fabio, why don’t we stop the flirting, it’s a bit awkward?”

  “Couldn’t agree with you more—and what the hell is that thing on your forehead?!” He said, all the sudden pointing his index finger at my poor pimple.

  “Your majesty, it is a zit, a common eruption in the face due to stress and other common factors that we, your highness, mortals get.” I actually laughed at my own British accent.

  “Well, get it off of you! It’s freaky!” he looked really scared, like he never had one and dreaded it. Well, that’s how it goes with handsome boys.

  “Hey,” a girl passed by us and winked at Andrew. Tramp!

  “Well, hello,” Andrew’s eyes followed the girl as she walked away.

   “Eh, Andrew?”

  “Would you give me a minute, Butch? Gees—look what you did, she’s gone.” He sighed and then, he took out something from his pocket. “Here.”

  “What’s this?” I clutched the little bracelet made from leather and charm shaped like a baseball.

  “Don’t lose it, it cost me more than you’ll ever earn in two months so—give it to me. There, don’t ever take it off, do you understand?” He sternly ordered while he placed it on my wrist and locked it.

   “You bought this for me? Why?” I gazed at him in wonder.

   “Just because.”

   “Thanks.”

  “Do you love him?” he suddenly asked while I admired the simple yet beautiful gift. “Ayden, I mean.”

   I looked down at the hem of my skirt—since I forgot to do laundry I had to borrow Alexis’ clothes in her wardrobe— as he leaned against a tree that was near us. “You know this already,” I allowed the shouts and screams of the kids playing around the ground mute my answer.

  “Since we were kids, huh?” He stuck at the subject.

  “Yeah, I guess. How pathetic, right? The tomboy falling for the player. Classic.”

  “Why doesn’t the player fall for the tomboy, eh?” he looked at me curiously.

  “What?”

  “I think I can help you. First: ignore Ayden, he loves it when you play hard to get. Second: get his attention by doing odd things and not over the top. And third: be yourself.”

  “What the hell does that mean?” I furrowed my brows at his nonsense.

  “I’m giving you tips, aren’t you gonna write that down? Butch, I’m Ayden best friend, and I’m also your friend so why not help you?” A slight smile curled on his lips as his eyes shone a different color at the exposure of the sun. “Ignore him and don’t look at him. If you can, act like he doesn’t exist.”

  A grin attacked my face as I asked, “Has this worked before in the past?”

  “No, but trust me, I know that something like this will shake him plus I can manipulate him.”

  “I don’t know what to say.” I tried to hide my excitement at the thought of being around Ayden.

  “Don’t say nothing; just do as I say, now. Shush, here he comes.”

  “What?!” I spun around to see Ayden dressed in his team uniform walking towards us and winking at some girls. “What the hell, Boba?! Now?!”

  “I called him before you came here. I told him that I needed to tell him something and this was the place. Although he thought I will prank him, I knew he would come just in time. Isn’t your boyfriend so punctual?” he teased me with the smirk I knew too well. “Now, remember what I said.”

  After he whispered the last part, a whimper glided down my throat but I managed to swallow it down. “Help.” I whispered but Andrew bounced off to welcome Ayden.

  “Hey, Ayden, man, what up, bro!” Andrew cried as they hugged a manly side hug.

  “Yo, Andrew I missed the shit out of you! Never leave me alone like that, man. How was it there in Cali? Lots of hot girls, right?”

   My sparkling Yoda! Is all that he can think about? Women? But, nevertheless, I followed Andrew’s instructions and kept my posture nonchalant and apathetic.

   “You mean, California?” Andrew walked back to where I stood and took his ground by my side.

   “Whatever. Oh… hey… Riley,” Ayden greeted me and my freaking heart started to pump up all the freaking blood I had on my body.

   But I managed to ignore my dream of him greeting me. Goodbye! No, Riley, you can do this! “Oh, look, Andrew that’s the guy I was talking you about.” I looked to nowhere and pointed some random guy that walked over.

  “Um… Ah! Yes!” Andrew went along and chuckled at Ayden’s confused face. I guess this was an experiment to him.

  “Uh, hello there, Riley!” he raised his voice a little bit more.

  “Huh?” I feigned, “Oh, hey there, Abner.”

  “What?!” Ayden screamed offended and in shock.

  Andrew chuckled and covered his mouth with his hand as I tried to suppress any feeling of saying sorry to Ayden down, but I’m tough and I continued, “Pardon?”

  “Are you serious? I’m Ayden, not Abner! Everybody knows that!” Wow, he’s offended. Yikes! “Ok, whatever, never mind. Andrew, bro, what was it that you wanted to tell me. I have to leave in a couple of minutes, Katherine is waiting.”

  “Ah, yeah, well, Dad is making his annual party this weekend, mind if Riley comes?” Both Andrew and Ayden glanced at me and I just gulped down the bile. Gross!

  “Cool! Same ol’ place?” he ignored my existence. Jerk, I love you!

  “You know it!”

   “Well, then, you know I’ll be there. Hey, I’ll catch up with you later. I’m already late. See ya!”

   And… he left. It didn’t work! Now he hates me! Good gracious! Sparkling Yoda and Samus mama!

   “Just give him some time, he’ll fall for it,” Andrew said, it was like he was reading my mind.

    “Forget about it. Anyways, what was this party all about?”

  “Say you’ll come and you’ll see.” He smirked all the way to the park’s exit.

  “I don’t know, what about Olivia?”

  “Don’t worry, I have everything settled!” he sounded confident and happy.

  “What the heck? Why not? Count me in.”

***

  “Boba! Why didn’t you tell me we were going to Maui?!” I screamed at Andrew as I saw the airport entry and the ticket that I held with faint faith.

  “Thanks, here you go, fifty—keep the change,” Andre climbed off the taxi. “I told you, it wasn’t a normal party. It’s a weekend off party. My dad is a wild animal.”

  “But, I only brought a couple of outfits thinking that it was a day in the pool.”

   “Don’t worry, I’ll buy clothes for you there. Come on, we’re gonna be late.” He grasped my hand and led me to the way in the airport.

   People were running, walking and wandering like chickens without heads as I saw the magic of the airports behind Andrew’s wide shoulders. He looked back at me and smiled, “Are you excited?”

   “Nervous is more I like it. So, Larry is going to be there, and also Ayden. Who else?”

   “My entire family.” He simply said.

   “What!?”

   “Don’t worry, they think you’re still my girlfriend so you won’t be alone.”

   “Boba! You told them I was your—“

   “No, Larry did. What? You thought Dad wouldn’t see it? After we hung out a lot at work, he asked me if we were dating, so I said yes, and he told the entire clan. They’re great! Can’t wait for you to meet them.”

    Was Andrew actually excited? Did he really want me to meet his family? And what about Ayden?! Does he hate me or will Andrew’s plan work? Oh, Yoda be Thinkerbell for once and shower me with your sparkling powder so I could fly back home with Olivia and Tony. May the force be with me?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 5 17
Brianna Dawson, the smart one. All A's but never the social type. She spends her times hiding from others. Ryan Jonathan, the bad boy of the school...
6.3M 229K 21
She didn't fall, she was pushed. Let me explain more, yeah? She was pushed, by her best friends, into a guy- but not just any guy. Cyrus Angelo, the...
2.5K 397 43
Falling in love with an enemy knowingly is wrong. What if, it happens unknowingly? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ " W-what this? " I lost the ability to speak Englis...
338K 9.4K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...