Emery's Story

By kylekay

The sequel to Fighter is Emery's Story. This book follows Maddox and Hadley's daughter, Emery. Growing up wi... More

Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch.13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
Ch. 22
Ch. 23
Ch. 25
Ch. 26
Ch. 27
Ch. 28
Ch. 29
Ch. 30
Ch. 31
Ch. 32
Ch.33
Ch. 34
Ch 35 Epilogue

Ch. 24

68.1K 2K 288
By kylekay

Okay...hopefully this works out how I want it to...thanks to everyone who commented there are too many to list...but you know who you are and I'm sure you'll see your suggestions throughout the next couple of chapters...I really did think about this a lot and everything you said made sense. I sincerely appreciate your support! -K

Emery's POV

Waking up in my old bedroom knowing I wont be seeing Nixon, is sobering. I thought about him all night and now looking back I feel disappointed in myself. I don't know why I'm surprised by Nixon's possessivness he's been like that from the beginning. Every time he tells me to do something my instant reaction is to fight him about it. If I would just listen to what he needs from me, I doubt any of this would of happened.

I hear a soft knock on my door and my mom comes into the room smiling, I smile back as she sits on the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Confused and irritated with myself." I admit, sullenly.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"Dad didn't tell you?"

"He gave me his version. I want to know what really happened."

"Nixon was mad that I was out with Mark so late. Which, was my fault for going with Mark after the game. He got mad about it and told me he doesn't want me around him anymore, I argued with him and told him to leave. He tried to put me in the truck and I ran inside, then he dragged me back to his truck when Jackson showed up. Jackson tried tackling him a few times but Nixon dodged him and pushed him to the ground every time. I left with him and he showed me his house and asked me to marry him. That's the short version at least."

"He bruised your arm."

"Yeah, he didn't mean to. I think I did most of the damage when I was thrashing and fighting with him."

I hear my mom sigh, "Maybe you should put yourself in his shoes."

"Meaning what?"

"How would you like it if he was hanging around a girl that was in love with him?" I felt myself get jealous with just the thought.

"Yeah, but Mark is like family. I cant just stop seeing my family."

"So, compromise. Tell him that you won't be alone with Mark again, but that you'll remain his friend."

"That's why I'm so irritated with myself. Why cant I think of things like that before I start fighting with him? He'll tell me what he needs and I feel like he's telling me what to do-"

"And you hate being told what to do." She finishes.

"Exactly. I cant see past it."

"You will. This is your first relationship Emmy, your not going to always know what to do. You'll learn just like the rest of us do."

"What relationship. Dad's never going to let me talk to him again."

"Your dad needs time, but so do you and Nixon. You look miserable and I'm sure he's just as bad. You need to talk to Mark and tell him how Nixon feels and ask him to understand that your friendship will never change, but that you need to respect Nixon's wishes."

"I feel bad for him. Just like uncle Alex."

"Uncle Alex had a women that loved him, he through away any happiness he could have had. I feel bad for him too, but he decided not to move on. He could have been happy if just let himself. Mark isn't like his father. He can lose and still find the heart to move on, to be happy with someone else."

I feel the relief hearing what my mom says about Mark. I know its true, Mark wont let anything keep him down long, its not in his nature. "Your right he'll recover."

"I canceled the barbe-" My mom starts, but is interrupted when my father and Nixon slam my door open hitting the wall with such force the dry wall get busted and a couple framed pictures fall to the floor.

"What?" I ask, completely terrified that something alarmed both of them.

Nixon's face doesn't change and my dad takes a deep breath. "Are you okay?" He asks.

Confused and stunned I nod my head 'yes.' "What is this about, Maddox?" Mom asks, looking just as bewildered as I am.

"Nothing." He replies, automatically.

"Maddox." Mom says, as a warning.

"Amber called. Someone broke in last night." Dad announces. 

"Oh, my God is she okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, they didn't hurt her." He replies.

"Who was it? Did they catch them?" Mom questions.

"She didn't get a good look at him. Just said that he was tall and kind of lanky. They don't have much to go on, he wore gloves." Nixon supplies.

"What did he want?" I ask, wondering what he took.

My dad just looks at me then Nixon. Nixon shrugs like he's not sure what to tell me either. "Just answer the question." I demand after they have a silent conversation for another minute.

"He took some of your things." Dad says, uncomfortably.

"Like what? I don't have anything valuable but a laptop and the necklace I got for graduation."

They both get quite again and I look at my mom who is looking as frustrated as I am at their lack of conversation skills. "Dad!" I yell, getting his attention.

"He took your underwear." Nixon, finally confesses.

"My underwear." I state in disbelief.

He nods. "It's someone you know. He had assess to your keys at some point. His point of entry was the front door, which amber says was locked."

"Great, my life gets better and better." I mumble. I try thinking of any tall lanky people I know, but there are too many to count. Every guy I work with could fit that description. "Wait, when did this happen? Why are we just finding out right now?"

"The guy broke in last night we are guessing he slept in your bed, took your underwear and left this morning. That's when Amber said she saw him leaving through the front door." Knox explains.

"He was with her all night. That poor girl must be terrified." Mom states.

"J.J. went to help her file the police report. She's going to stay with him for a couple of days, until all the locks can be changed." Dad says, walking to my mom.

I can't wrap my head around it. Some guy broke in my house, slept in my bed and stole my underwear. Oh, and I possibly know this person. I don't know anyone who would do this, no one sticks out in my mind.

"No one you can think of would do this?" Nixon asks, reading my mind.

"No, I don't have any ex-boyfriend's. I don't remember anyone within the last year that's even asked me out." I respond at a loss. "I don't think I know this person. Even if they have a key. No one I know would have done this, I'm sure of it."

"The cops are coming by to talk to you anyway." Dad tells me.

"When?"

"Soon, get up and get dressed." He orders and mom stands up going to dad and they leave. Nixon stays at the door.

"My dad called you?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"He did." He states.

"Are you back on guard dog duty?"

"Yep."

"I'm sorry. About last night." I apologize.

"I'm the one that should be apologizing look at your arm." He replies pointing to my bruises.

"I know you didn't mean to do it."

"It doesn't matter. I had my hands on you. Its unacceptable." His eyes don't leave mine. I don't know what to say to him. He turns around and walks away closing the door behind him.

I get out of bed and grab my clothes throwing them on. I walk down stairs and Nixon and my dad are talking quietly to themselves. Obviously, trying to keep things between them and leaving my mom out of it as she cooks breakfast.

I decide to let them have their secrets. I don't think I can handle much more today.

Nixon's POV

My phone rings and I answer it before the first ring finishes. "Princess."

"It's Maddox. Someone broke into Emmy's room last night."

"I'll be there in ten minutes." I hang up and walk quickly to my truck. I digging out the keys from my pocket. I hop in and drive to Maddox house. I pull up and he meets me halfway. "What do you know?" I question.

"Tall guy, kind of lanky. He slept on her bed and the pervert stole her underwear."

"Are they testing her bed for DNA?"

"No, he took off the blanket and used the sheets. He took them with him when he left."

"Finger prints?"

"He wore gloves."

"So, that's all you have. How did she take the news?" I ask.

"I haven't talked to her yet."

I nod, understanding that he doesn't want to tell her what happened. "She's okay though? You've checked on her."

He pauses and I know he hasn't. We both run to the door, I follow behind him. When he stops at a door and opens it I help swing it open faster. Sitting on her bed with her mother is a very shocked princess. I keep my face composed not wanting to scare her further.

When the questions start I watch her reactions intently coming to the conclusion she has no idea who could possible be essentially stalking her. He was watching everything that happened. He saw our fight, he saw her leave with her father. He knew he could go in without being caught and go through her room. He also knew her room was on the second floor and all he had to do is wait for Amber to fall asleep. I hate that she has no idea who could be doing this, maybe we should be talking to Amber. When Maddox and Hadley leave the room. There is so much I want to say to her, but I know I don't deserve a second chance and I wont ask for one.

To say I'm shocked when she apologizes first is an understatement. After I apologize I leave the room before I actually get on my hands and knees beg her to take me back. I walk to the kitchen following the sounds and smells of breakfast cooking, I see Maddox sitting at the table and join him. "I'm becoming more certain that she knows this person. I think he was watching us last night. He saw her leave and knew where to go. I think we need to talk to Amber about who has been sniffing around her that she's not really aware of."

"I didn't think about that, about him watching her. We have to make sure we're with her at all times. I don't want her to worry though, so we cant make it too obvious."

"No, I think we need to tell her this is serous. I don't want to have to argue with her every time I tell her to do something, for her safely she has to know everything. She can handle it."

I see his hesitation and understand that all he wants to do is make sure she's safe and doesn't have to worry. However, I know I'm right. If we hide anything from her, its going to bite us in the ass at some point.

"You're right. It doesn't change the need to watch her, but if you lay a finger on her again I'll end your life."

"That won't happen again. She ended everything with me and I wont ask for her forgiveness, I don't deserve it. I'll protect her until we can find this guy and never bother her again."

I think I surprised Maddox, but I don't care what he thinks about me. I watch as Emmy comes further into the room towards us. I cant help but want to hold her or touch her in some way. She sits next to me and I curl my hands into fists to stop myself from running my hands through her hair. This is going to be hard, its going to take all my self-control.

"Emmy, we need to talk about this situation." Maddox starts.

"I thought we did."

"We think he maybe stalking you, he knew you left the house with your father. That he would have all night in your room." I point out.

"So, what's the plan?" She asks.

"You're never to be alone." Maddox demands, looking at her pointedly letting her know he's completely serious.

"That's reasonable, but don't you and mom have that vacation to Paris for your anniversary? This better not change your plans."

"Nixon, will take care of you. If he's busy I'll have your brothers take shifts." Maddox states.

"Okay, but they better find him fast." She sighs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 288 24
A story where one couldn't help but have a crush on the school's trouble maker
753 51 10
"i don't know a lot of things but i do know it's meant to be us" renjun & jaemin x male reader Šī¸2024 freckledshine
185K 10K 70
Two hearts. Two souls. One child. A brave man, working hard to give the best life to his family. A selfish woman, who hasn't really come to terms to...
294K 7.3K 105
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...