Friends with Benefits (FwB) (...

By RitsuTainaka9

No commitments. When you want to talk we can talk. When you want to act as if you don't know me, I don't know... More

FwB (girlxgirl) HM
FwB Chapter 1: A Rough Week
FwB Chapter 2: Piano or Violin
FwB Chapter 3: Banana Pancakes
FwB Chapter 4: The Flower that Bloomed Surreptitiously
FwB Chapter 5: Sweet Moments
FwB Chapter 6: Plans and Affirmative Actions
FwB Chapter 7: Their Masks
FwB Chapter 8: Picking up the Pieces
FwB Chapter 9: Dinner at Lunaire
FwB Chapter 10: Inevitable Meeting
FwB Chapter 11: Promise
FwB Chapter 12: Their Haven
FwB Chapter 13: Just Another Manic Monday
FwB Chapter 14: Comprehensions
FwB Chapter 15: Day One
FwB Chapter 16: Doubts
Chapter 18: Phone Conversations
Chapter 19: Touch
Chapter 20: Happiness
Chapter 21: Digging up the Past
Chapter 22: Just a Title
Chapter 23: Tying Some Loose Ends
Chapter 24: Planning, Meeting, Partying
Chapter 25: The Ol' Switcheroo
26: Epilogue

Chapter 17: Father-Daughter Relationships

4.3K 108 22
By RitsuTainaka9

She hadn't realized it was actually a pretty good thing that they had the rest of the day off now. With Keiko gone and Jiro and Michiru's mother in board meetings for God knows how long, they had the day to themselves. And…the way the younger woman was snuggled on her without other people gawking at them was…a bit refreshing too.

"Ne…what're we doing for the rest of the day?" she asked and turned her head slightly to the left only to smell the sweetness always accompanying her violinist.

Michiru turned her head to hers and they were just too close. Could she help it if she got a little hot? She just hoped she was not blushing…

So…obvious…

Maybe it was passed due to get her arms off of the smaller woman's shoulders because she was kind of inviting touching by doing this and even though they shared one little sofa only a couple hours back, every touch with the violinist had begun feeling so…hot to her recently. It was her body, she presumed. She hadn't gotten laid in well over a month…

She sighed.

"What do you have in mind?"

Fondling…kissing…taking clothes off…

She coughed loudly and shook the perversion running over her head.

"Anything you want to do," she stated and smirked to herself.

Like…fondling…kissing…making out would be invited too… She inwardly smacked herself. Get a freakin' grip…

How was she supposed to be this succulent woman's best friend her entire life if she couldn't even get her hormones intact now?

"Are you hot, Haruka?"

Her emerald eyes widened as the other woman's hands rose to her forehead and cupped it.

"You look red."

Too close…

She could only shake her head.

"Warm…car…" God she couldn't even say words in a coherent manner…

"Satoshi-san, can you turn the AC on in the back please?"

She pulled the window open for good measure as well, loving the feeling it made as it swept against her blonde hair. The big limo felt stuffy…what kind of an irony was that? And now, unless she wanted to look weird, she couldn't even retract her arms from around the smaller woman's shoulders! This was not good for her hormones…not at all. She couldn't help it if the whole time Michiru was telling Keiko off turned her on too… She had never seen her act like that before…so…demanding. She was more than willing to let the raven haired woman go, if only to keep her temper in check, but apparently Michiru wouldn't.

It was a lovely side to see…her otherwise calm best friend, angry. She wished she could've videotaped it if only to replay it over and over again…

"You're so quiet…"

She turned to her again and smiled sheepishly.

"Just…thinking what…you'd like to do for the rest of the day…"

"Liar…"

She laughed at seeing the amused face on Michiru's features.

"I'm that easy to read now, is that it?"

"Mhmm, that is it," the violinist nodded. "But seeing as you'd rather be a closed book than tell me, maybe we should just hit your beach house for the rest of the day and…hang out?"

It sounded like it was going to be a good idea…There would be no one there and it would feel like old times…without all the making out and everything else that fell in between their casual relationship. But before she could nod her phone rang out causing the both of them to eye her pocket simultaneously.

"Yeah?" she asked, without looking at the caller's ID.

"Haruka-chan?"

Emerald eyes widened a bit at the sound of her godmother in the other line. "Obaa-san? What's going on?"

"Yuu was wondering if you're too busy to put us in your schedule again," Misa stated in the other line. "He's thinking of doing something extra with the invitations and wanted your go ahead before proceeding."

"Oh! Well actually our plans were cancelled today," Haruka answered. "Is it alright if only Michiru and I come by?"

"I think that would perfect, aka-chan."

Her mother using that nickname had spread…She sweatdropped.

"Alright, we're coming then."

"See you soon, dear."

She hung up the phone and gave a look to an inquiring violinist.

"We're going to visit my godparents again instead, apparently."

Her company could only laugh. "I don't have a say in it?"

"Well…I can go…you can wait for me at the beach house?"

"That's lonely…You're more than okay to just leave me there, ne?"

"Michiru, that's not what I meant and you know it…"

"You'll be coming back with women with you and I'll be like…a fifth wheel…"

"So dramatic…Fifth?! That means…"

"Nh…three girls?"

"I-am-not-a-playboy!" she grunted, but the playful smile on her face completely gave her away.

She retracted her arm out of the smaller woman's shoulders only to push her roughly onto the leather seat and straddle her. Sapphires widened in surprise as she only smirked and started cracking her knuckles.

"Haru…ka? Stop!!"

And the tickling finally commenced. She smirked at the utmost feeling of domination entering her system, but moreover warmed at the laughing expression of the woman squirming beneath her. It's been too long since she's seen such an easygoing expression on her face and missed it more than anything. Her fingers slid to Michiru's sides and pushed and prodded randomly, making her chuckle at the crazy and strong reflexes the violinist's lithe body lashed back with. Of course it wasn't anything she couldn't handle, but from her outward appearance, the smaller woman didn't look as strong as she was putting out.

"Ha! Haru—

"What??"

"Stop! Please!"

"But what was that you said about me?"

"I didn't…"

Sapphire eyes shut as her fingers pushed an extra sensitive spot in the smaller woman's side. She couldn't help her tongue that had come out of its hiding spot and was sticking out victoriously at the laughing woman as she could only continue to chuckle.

"Ne, Michiru—

"I'm sorry!"

She stopped suddenly, causing Michiru's fingers that had been fighting with hers to tangle together. Her breaths came out in fast repetitions as she could only give what looked like such a submissive look back to Haruka.

The blonde smirked. "What was that?"

"You're…not a playboy…" she panted and intertwined their hands together. "I'm sorry."

"Hmm…and you're being genuine about this apology yes?"

"Yes!"

Haruka's smirk widened as she got off and gathered her by the waist, pulling her back up to the seat and somewhat kneeling before her.

"You're rough…" Michiru pouted.

"Sorry," she said softly and rubbed her sides affectionately, making the aqua haired woman spout some uncontrolled bit of laughter every now and then which made her smile widen. "You need to smile more often Michiru."

The violinist looked at her inquiringly as she poked her side, causing her to chuckle in reflex and slap her prodding finger.

"Haven't seen you laugh enough recently…"

The smaller woman sighed and smiled apologetically. "I guess I just haven't found a reason to laugh…recently," she said softly and looked down at Haruka's kneeling form, brushing her cheeks as she did so.

"I know. But…I'm here…and Jiro-kun's trying…so…try to laugh. If not for him, then for me."

The barest hint of a sad smile flickered across her features before she bent down and engulfed the blonde in a hug, the latter hugging her tightly back as well.

"I'm here for you…not for anyone else…although Jiro-kun has kind of gotten into the habit of falling back on me in case he needs something, but regardless, I'm here for you. So if anything's bothering you…tell me…and I'll do whatever I can do to right the situation okay?"

She smiled at the warm expression Michiru gave her as the she could only nod in appreciation. To see her like this for at least a few minutes in a day was enough to satiate the concern this entire wedding was gnawing her with.

O--O

Haruka's gotten in the habit of being overly touchy with her…a double edged sword she found she looked forward to more than anything in their current relationship. There was nothing more inviting than a smirking, overly confident blonde on top of her—it made her hot, warm, comforted, and loved all at the same time…something no one in this world would ever be able to do.

She looked up to see the taller woman a little bit ahead of her going up the long staircases heading into the Chens' temple and as if in reflex, her hand went up and hooked with hers. Emerald eyes looked back at her in askance for a bit before she smiled that adoringly handsome smile of hers, tightened her hand upon hers, and waited until they were side by side on the stairs before wordlessly going further up, their hands still twined together.

"Weather's taking a turn for the worse," the blonde stated conversationally, causing both of them to look up at the overcast sky.

The wind decided to pick up right as she said this too, making her hair and dress sweep behind her and Haruka's hand to tighten around hers more.

"We should get going in. It doesn't look like it'll get any better," Michiru stated and received a nod from the tomboy. "Kind of makes me wonder why you were feeling warm in the car."

Haruka coughed then causing her smile to widen more in askance.

"Ara, was I making you hot 'Ruka?"

"Tch, don't be so full of yourself…that's my job."

But as she said this, Michiru could still see the discomfort and embarrassing blush beginning to paint itself on her cheeks.

"I'm so flattered," she said softly, brushed the other's blonde locks playfully into disarray, and jogged the rest of the way up without her.

She laughed as she heard the growl from the other woman behind her and stopped suddenly as she met up with the female Chen on top of the stairs. Remembering who she was as well as her manners, she bowed down in greeting.

"Good afternoon Misa-san."

But the gray haired woman only dismissed her formalities away. "Good afternoon Michiru-chan. I was just worried that you and my goddaughter might've met the storm the radio was talking about. The steps leading up to the temple could be quite dangerous during and after it's rained."

And as she said this, torrential downpour began descending upon them.

"Baa-san!" Haruka greeted beside her, took off her blazer and placed it a half a foot or so over the violinist's figure. "Let's go in before we get swept away."

Michiru wrapped her arm around the taller woman's waist so they could fit under the blazer together as Misa opened up an umbrella and towered it over all of them, the tomboy in the middle and the two women to her sides. Haruka draped her arms around their shoulders to better fit them into the dry enclosure as they made their way into the temple, a few lights open inside the small building and a trickle of smoke going up a chimney, giving it a rather cozy and comfortable look.

"Is ojii-san keeping himself busy?" the blonde asked as they finally made it to the side of the temple where it was somewhat dry.

Misa folded the wet umbrella and leaned it against the wall while nodding. "He hasn't slept much since the request for the invitations came out."

Michiru suddenly felt bad. "I—

"No Michiru-chan, it's not you," the gray haired woman said with a dismissed sigh. "That's just how Yuu is. Give him something to do and if he's interested enough, he'll give up sleep for it. I had to drag him to bed last night and when I woke at five this morning to tend the temple, he was already up and working."

Haruka laughed. "Is he still in his workshop?"

Misa nodded. "Been there all day. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the invitations done tonight…"

It was always nice to see the blonde interacting with her family. The violinist was offered a first hand glimpse on how she had turned out the way she had. She could easily see how she could've been the free spirited tomboy Yoshiko told her as and how she had grown up to be such a crass, confident, outspoken, and boisterous individual.

They made their way to the kitchen where the preparations for what probably would be dinner was laid out in the open. Misa led them farther in the house, passed the dining room, and into a living area where the pictures of two men hung in front of lit candles. They sported the same familiar crop of wild sandy blonde hair, dark forest green eyes, and confident smile.

"Tou-san and Ojii-san," Haruka answered the unasked question.

"I see where you get a lot of your looks now," she quipped and looked up at the smirking blonde.

She only nodded. "My mother and father look a lot alike so I guess the gene pool would be either I look handsome or I look handsome—

"So full of yourself—

"And you love me for it."

Aqua eyebrows went up in amused skepticism, but her playful smile gave her away.

"Did your father mind…that you dressed up like a boy a lot?"

They continued their walk to Yuu's workshop as Haruka gave a shrug. "I don't think so…He was pretty much set on having me the way I wanted myself to be."

"You never said why you ran away…"

They locked eyes, the familiar brief look of melancholy passing over emeralds. She sighed inwardly.

"I know," the blonde only answered and didn't say anymore.

She hated it when the taller woman felt like being a closed book…only because when the situation calls for something more specific than her guessing at her end, it was harder to do so with the correct answers. She sighed outwardly this time.

"Oh don't be like that," Haruka said playfully and brushed a bit of her hair back.

"Why won't you tell me?" she pouted, for good measure.

The tomboy sighed loudly this time. "It's not important…not anymore…"

"It still looks like it does…"

They shared a serious look for a moment, Misa in front of them continuing her silence as she led them deeper into the temple. A few minutes later they came upon a shoji door, the silhouette of a person writing inside visible from the outside.

"Anata, we're coming in," the gray haired woman said and opened the door thereafter.

"Haruka-chan, Kaioh-san, come on in and tell me what you think!" Yuu called from his lowered work table.

All of them came into the room one by one and the two young women walked to each of his side, sitting there before looking at what he'd done thoroughly. The violinist could only gasp.

The material for the paper was thick and grainy, blotches of what appeared to be sand gracing the entire, otherwise white colored material. All around it were hand drawn, pressed sea shells and conches and the in the middle the main invitation, locale, and information the reader would need about the wedding in thick, gold ink.

"Real gold ink ojii-san?" Haruka asked as she dragged her finger across the surface of the invitation to feel the impressions left by the pressing job.

"Of course," Yuu said proudly and looked over at the bride-to-be.

She was genuinely stunned at how magnificent it looked: from how perfectly divided the paper was in threes, to the pressed pictures in the sides.

"It's beautiful Chen-san," she whispered in awe. "How could I ever thank you?"

He gave a toothy grin and a pat to her head. "Your reaction's enough Kaioh-san," he said with a bow. "Actually this was what I wanted to ask about—if I could use this paper instead of a fully white one."

"That's…perfect…"

He nodded. "Good." Pulling a few, even thicker pieces of longer paper to him, he gave it to each of them and continued, "These will be the inner envelopes. As you requested, marine blue for you and forest green for Sugiura-kun. It will be divided to fit the invitations with of course a half an inch to an inch of borders inside and it'll be sealed with a ribbon, colored the opposite of each of your choices."

"So same invitation inside, and if Michiru's is being sent, the inner envelope will be the marine blue one with a green ribbon tying the outside?" Haruka asked and eyed the old man as he set to work on one invitation to show them.

He nodded and finished tying the ribbon, giving it to Michiru afterwards.

"This looks great Chen-san. It's so much more than we thought of when we were thinking about the invitations," she said softly.

Yuu laughed. "Of course it is. Invitations shouldn't be half-assed! It'll make the people coming think the entire wedding's half assed too."

The tomboy chuckled beside him as she smiled and laid down the finished product of the invitation.

"So with that set, it'll probably take tonight for me to get completely done," Yuu stated and shrugged. "I was kind of debating whether or not asking you before pressing the rest of the invitations with my choice of decorations, but it was a good thing I did anyway."

"Good call jii-san," the tall woman said with a smirk and patted him on the back. "Want us to help you with the rest?"

Chocolate eyes widened at her question. "You're not busy with anything today?"

"Plans have been canceled," she answered and grabbed some materials in front of her. "Jiro-kun and Michiru's mother needed to be called for some board meeting and Rai got fired so…"

Yuu hardly seemed surprised at such a crass and random statement from the blonde. Turning to Michiru, he patted her hand and gave a nod of approval.

"Good call."

Haruka laughed as Michiru smiled sheepishly.

"Oh you should've seen her ojii-san—

"Haruka!"

"She straight up told that ho to walk out—

"Mind your language! And…where did you learn to talk like that?"

The tomboy laughed loudly and shrugged. "The only time I turned my radio on to actually listen to what's going on in the world and that's what I learn…Cool yeah?"

"No…"

Yuu laughed between them as they stopped the playful bantering and began helping with the task by folding the inner envelopes for the invitations he was now writing gold ink upon.

Misa took the spot in front of them and began making the decorations for the rest of the unfinished invitations as well causing a bit of surprise from the violinist's end.

"I thought Chen-san did all the work regarding these matters," she stated softly.

Yuu was the one to shake his head. "I do all of the writing, some of the pressing, and some of the decorations. When time is of the essence my wife helps, especially in regards to the decorating and gold pressing."

So they worked in a bit of silence, rough winds howling the sides of the walls roughly and the sound of rain pouring above them in random pitter patters.

"So Michiru-chan," Misa stated as she pored over her work. "Can you tell us a bit about your fiancé?"

It was a pretty sudden question and she kind of had to think about some things regarding Jiro because nothing came to the sudden forefront of her mind.

"He is the CFO's son of Kaioh-Miroku," she started and focused on the piece of paper in her hands, folding them properly and neatly before placing it in the pile along with ones she had already finished. "He…works very diligently and loves the company to a fault. He pretty much grew up knowing the inside and out of it in the hopes of taking it over someday so…"

She trailed off uncomfortably, not really knowing more of what to say.

Misa looked up at her with an indifferent look. "When did you meet him?"

"I've known him since I was nine…probably earlier. His father and my parents work together so there have been many instances where we've had to see one another."

"Can you tell us something about him that doesn't pertain to the company?"

She gave an uneasy smile at her questioning glance. She kind of felt as if she was in an interrogation room especially under the old woman's serious stare.

"Baa-san, the wedding's for the company you know…"

Chocolate eyes widened at Haruka's words.

"No, I did not know that," the elder woman stated. "Arranged?"

Michiru nodded, albeit hesitantly. "It's been up in the air for a few years now…whether or not we would marry. It's only recently that it's gotten to this point where we're actually plunging into it."

"How is he as a boyfriend?"

Her stomach felt as if it was knotting itself into numerous directions.

"Misa, why are you being such a cop?" Yuu asked suddenly beside her.

The tomboy laughed at his brash question.

"I am not being an interrogator," the gray haired woman sniffed. "I'm just merely conversing…"

The violinist gave a smile at how the two married couple was acting to one another. Looking at Misa she stated meekly, "I don't mind. It's just kind of hard to answer because we never really got into that kind of relationship."

The female Chen nodded in understanding. "Do you want to marry him?"

She looked back at her task uneasily. "I guess it's more of a matter of…needing, not wanting to."

"You should never need to marry someone Michiru-chan," Misa said pointedly.

She gave a momentary glance at the ceiling as if in deep thought causing Haruka to laugh. "Story time…"

The chocolate eyed woman merely gave her an unimpressed glance and started, "When I first met Yuu, it was during World War II and a lot of the locals thought he might've been a spy for the Chinese government. He immigrated here a few years before that though and no one was suspicious of his presence here until after we started the war. It was horrible…the things they said to him in those times and I took pity on him and befriended him. The language barrier was a little hard to overcome at first because although he was here for a few years prior to the war, he still hadn't learned much of the spoken language. So we communicated…by writing. He would write in Hanzi and I would try to decipher as much as I could with my knowledge of Kanji.

"I actually helped hide him during those times because a lot of people were getting antsy and did a lot of unspeakable things to foreigners. My father…didn't know what I was doing. No one did. So as the war progressed on and the need for soldiers in the Imperial Army increased, my father who was a lieutenant at the time arranged a marriage for me with one of his subordinates. He knew of all people that it was already a suicidal trip to become a part of the Imperial Army so…he wanted me to marry to bear him a grandchild…a sort of…descendant so our bloodline could thrive on. I wasn't an only child. I had an older brother…but at the time he was already stationed as a soldier and his pregnant wife had moved to Hiroshima where…"

She stopped a little, an overwhelming feeling of sadness taking her entire figure. She seemed smaller all of the sudden, and Michiru could only gulp as Yuu reached out to her and brushed her cheek affectionately with a mere small smile in his olden features.

She smiled up at him and continued, "Well regardless of the matter…I refused him. He was mad of course…and forced the matter, but I wouldn't yield and it was only a matter of time until he had to leave…but not before disowning me…"

Chocolate brown eyes locked with her sapphires then, an even and serious look upon the old woman's face. "I do not regret ever yielding to his desire. I do not regret him disowning me. The only thing I do regret is that I never got to talk to him as a daughter would to her father. He never got to understand why I disobeyed him that one time. My brother died during the war. So did my father. My mother…visited my sister-in-law in Hiroshima a day before the atomic bomb was dropped…and I never saw or heard from either one of them again.

"But amidst all that heartache…and all those people near and dear to me lost…I had Yuu…and since then he's been more than enough…so I had not regretted a single thing."

Her heart had begun to feel the familiar aches and pains again and she could only share a melancholic look with the old woman in front of her. She wished she were as strong as Misa…She wished she could just denounce her love to her family and dive into Haruka's arms…But she couldn't. She didn't want to choose…because she would lose one or the other…and both scenarios were too heartbreaking for her to want to actually test it.

She couldn't picture how it would be like to live without ever seeing her parents again. They hadn't seen a lot of things eye to eye, but they had always been there. Regardless of the way they tended to disappear…they were always there…to give advice, to lend a hand…to make sure she grew up to be the perfect child.

And if she were to pick them…and not her growing feelings for Haruka? That's what she was doing now…and it hurt. Every second that she can't feel the blonde near her, talk to her, and be with her…it hurt…almost as much as when she's around…always within reach, but unreachable at the same time. Haruka…was like the wind. She could feel her presence, she could breathe her in and it would feel as if her soul was being refreshed every single time…but she can't hold on to her. Just being around her…was enough. It needed to be enough…She can't chance it for them to be more or less what they are now…not without breaking the compromises and hearts of people she cares about.

What about me?

What about her…? She would play the martyr until she died…for the sake of everyone else's happiness. It was the only way for her to keep everything selfishly to herself. It was the only way to keep her parents happy, for Jiro to keep his job, and for Haruka to remain at her side. It wouldn't stay like this forever…Haruka…would need to be elsewhere she's not…be with someone else that's not her. But…she's bracing for that moment to come…and when it does, she hoped that she would be strong enough to let go.

Her body stiffened a little at the sudden touch behind her, at the arms that circled around her waist and the familiar smell of Haruka encompassing her being. She relaxed a little and gave a sideways glance as the blonde only gave her a questioning look…as if she was the one who suddenly invaded the other's personal space.

"I got done with mine. Need help with yours?" she asked so easily.

Michiru laughed and nodded, leaning onto her a little as the taller woman helped her fold the thick piece of paper already in her hands.

"Look what you did baa-san, you made her sad," the tomboy grunted and she could only give her a chastising look.

Misa gave them a small look before smiling and shaking her head. "Fine…we can have a brief change of subject," she shrugged. "Haruka-chan what was your last relationship like?"

Sapphires widened at the random question and as she looked up at the blonde in question, she saw the sudden surprise there too.

"…Good…"

"Oh that's not nearly good enough, dear," the gray haired woman chastised, making Yuu chuckle from beside them. "What was good about it?"

The both of them had stopped working, and she could feel the tomboy's body behind hers stiffen at the question. She looked away and began fidgeting with the papers before them, paying attention more to what Haruka would say than folding the papers in place.

The blonde scratched her head and leaned farther back from the smaller woman, propping herself with the palms of her hands and looking up at the ceiling thoughtfully.

In one hand Michiru wanted to hear this…in another she didn't.

"I liked it 'cuz…"

She could feel the hesitation coming from the young CEO as she folded the paper absentmindedly.

"Well…it was the first relationship I had that went beyond the bedroom, I suppose."

Haruka stopped momentarily which caused her godmother to look at her in skepticism.

"That's it?"

Michiru couldn't help, but chuckle at how challenging that sounded to her ears. Looking back she could see the unimpressed look on the blonde's features as well.

"What? Did you want a play by play on how great the sex was obaa-san?"

"Spare me the graphics aka-chan," the gray haired woman sighed. "You know…all Yuu and I want from you is to meet a nice girlfriend. She doesn't have to be the one…we just want to know that someone's taking care of you—

"Baa-san…you are so dramatic…"

"I'm serious, dear. I'm pretty sure that's what Yoshiko-chan wants from you too. You're already twenty six years old! Isn't it time to settle down?"

"No!" Haruka cried indignantly. "I'm only twenty six years old…I'm in my prime to…check out…the fishes in the sea…so they say."

"Any interesting fish catching your bait?"

The blonde sighed behind her as she got back into the table and sat beside Michiru, grabbing a few more inner envelopes in her hand and folding them properly.

Silence engulfed the room, the only sounds coming from the torrential downpour outside. Looking up at the tomboy, the violinist could see the tired look there…as if she wanted to say something to lash back…but couldn't.

"Didn't we already talk about this?" she asked finally, eyeing her godmother.

Misa sighed again. "I don't know what's wrong with the youth today. Michiru-chan's getting married for the wrong reasons. You're…not trying at all…"

"It's a little more complicated than how you say it—

"Really? How complicated can it get?" the gray haired woman asked indignantly. "If you love someone profess it. If you don't…say it to the ones who think you do. I…just don't see why everyone makes things that shouldn't be complicated, complicated. I mean…I know there are other factors in play. Because someone's happiness is always due to someone else's misery…but that's just life. Right now, Michiru-chan looks miserable for the sake of her parents' happiness. And you…well…are you miserable aka-chan?"

Michiru glanced at the tomboy's indifferent face. She had snuck her mask on again…

The young CEO merely shrugged. "There's nothing to be miserable about…"

"You're happy…with the way everything is?"

The blonde remained silent, seemingly focusing her entire being on folding the piece of paper in front of her.

"There is no reward…for being a martyr. The only thing you'll see is everyone's happiness around you. Meanwhile…you could be floating and loathing yourself in pity…and no one would know. I'm personally glad that I didn't end up as the martyr that I was thinking of becoming. Forgetting Yuu and marrying some stranger was something I was seriously debating for the sake of my father's wellbeing…but in the end you have choices you have to make. Be the one in charge of your own happiness and make it happen…or be miserable for the sake of someone else's wish.

"In the end, Michiru-chan could end up loving Sugiura-kun. They could…end up married and have the most wonderful family…But in the recesses of Michiru-chan's mind, there will always be that doubt. What would've happened if I chose not to marry Sugiura? What would've happened if I abandoned my parents' wishes for mine? Would I be happier? It's a question…that's no longer answerable. Same with you Haruka-chan…What if I chose not to wait out my life? What if I confess my undying love for someone that I feel is perfect for me now?"

Sapphires and emeralds locked momentarily before discomfort made them flicker away from one another again.

"There is no reason why you children need to be so giving towards others. Be selfish…It's what kids do. Mind your life because it's your own…no one else should direct you on where to go. There is always something to lose as well as something to gain. The remaining question in the end is, did the thing you gain outweigh what you lost? And if your mind is telling you now that what you want is worth everything for…then I don't understand why you're still being martyrs."

"And if you go ahead and do what your mind is telling you and everything backfires?"

Misa looked over to Haruka who gave her a serious look back.

"Meaning?"

"Let's say I confess my undying love for someone," the tomboy stated and shrugged for good measure. "They…don't love me back. In the end, I'm still miserable. Let's say, that one girl is the only one I would want to 'catch my bait' so to speak. I don't want anyone else, but her. I lose…her trust, her friendship, and her…only because I spoke my mind. What then?"

Chocolate eyes locked with emeralds, the sadness reverberating from the tall woman's figure.

"If you lose…so much…then she's not worth it—

"That's…what I seriously thought Keiko was…" Haruka said softly. "She showed me a different side of her from what I saw at the end and I was more than willing to give her…everything. And in the end, there was nothing there, but vanity. It was…three long years of…lies and deceit. Why should I try to love someone else? Why should I even try to break up people's relationships over my own when in the end…it won't matter?"

"Is that why you revert to sex-only relationships?"

"Yes! There's nothing attached…It's…just sex. If you allow it to become more…it makes things complicated—

"Did your last relationship become complicated because it became more than sex?"

The blonde had become silent. Michiru gulped her feelings down and looked at the conflict written all over the tomboy's face. She reached her hand from under the table and touched her thigh softly, making emeralds glance at her in melancholic confusion.

They stared at one another for a moment before the taller woman's mouth opened.

"Did it make everything more complicated Michiru?"

Sapphires widened at her question to her, and from her peripherals she could see Yuu's attention all of the sudden turned at their direction as well as Misa's never ending stare. But she could only see the emeralds boring deeply with hers and in the end, all she could do was smile in regret and gloom.

"Yes, it did."

Silence once again pervaded the room, this time unbroken by anyone.

O--O

Misa and Yuu had insisted they stay the night. The storm was raging and after a brief call to Satoshi to stay home and pick them up tomorrow, Haruka and Michiru followed the olden woman to a guest bedroom after dinner, where two futons were laid on the floor a couple feet away from one another. Everyone had been silent since their conversation inside the male Chen's workshop; even dinner was a quiet affair. Little talks about how Yoshiko, as well as the company, was made and Michiru's album that was making a big impact in the music scene, but everyone knew these words were just to repel the silence that would engulf them again if they were to stop if only to catch their breaths. But it had been a long day and although Yuu decided to keep working, Misa had insisted that they sleep already since they were a little behind on schedule and would probably need to wake up bright and early the next day.

The electricity had decided to shut off as well during their dinner so a lone candle was the only light that brightened the entire room. Michiru had decidedly borrowed one of Misa's pajamas that were folded on the table near the candle and Haruka merely sat on her futon, still in deep thought.

Everything her godmother said earlier was making her mind wander and she couldn't help, but agree and disagree at the same time. The violinist had been quiet as well and she could only wonder if she was okay after all that…Misa could be pretty prodding when she wanted to and now the smaller woman knew this as well.

"Are you alright?" the smaller woman asked.

She looked up at Michiru's dimly lit face and smiled at the familiar look of concern gracing her beautiful features.

She nodded. "Yeah…I'm fine."

The aqua haired woman walked to her futon and sat in front of her, taking her smooth hands in hers as she did so.

"Your godmother…is pretty outspoken."

The tomboy laughed. "Yeah…she learned really quickly that being blunt about things is the only way to talk to a Tenoh. She's only concerned…I'm sorry if she offended you in any way…"

She softly trailed off as Michiru merely shook her head. "I understood a lot where she's coming from…and although there's many factors involving what she said as well as what's happening in my situation, I agreed…to mostly everything she pointed out." The smaller woman sighed and looked down at their hands that were rubbing one another with warmth. "Agreeing…and doing the actions that go with it are a little different though…"

"Yeah," the blonde chuckled. "The latter's just a bit harder."

They shared a bit of comfortable silence, the tomboy glancing up at the violinist's pretty, glowing form before her. She looked absolutely beautiful in this dim light, her sapphire eyes twinkling brightly amidst the darkness and the rest of her brighter than she thought would be possible given the small amount of light the candle was blaring out.

"I…have a confession to make," the small woman suddenly said before her.

One thin blonde eyebrow went up in skepticism as Michiru could only give a sheepish and rather embarrassed look back.

"What is it?" she asked and gave an unsure smile as the other woman merely looked at here uncomfortably.

Another minute passed before the aqua haired woman said quietly, "I'm afraid…of going to the bathroom alone…in this darkness…"

She…wasn't expecting that out of the many terms "confessions" may have intended. Haruka wanted to keep the laughter in to spare the violinist even more embarrassment, but she failed altogether as her amused laugh permeated the quiet room. She only received a playful slap on the arm.

"Michiru's a scaredy cat," she teased and stopped all too suddenly as the younger woman pouted rather cutely. She sighed, the playful smile in her face never leaving. "Come on, let's go then."

She watched her gather the pajamas given to her by Misa before leading the way to the bathroom, loving the way Michiru sidled closely behind her and gripped her waist unconsciously with her unoccupied hand. She held it for the other woman's security and felt her way to the bathroom, the dimly lit candles going there making it a little easier to maneuver around. Once they reached the unoccupied room, she stood aside and opened the door for the violinist. There was one small lit candle inside and even she had to admit it looked rather…creepy.

"Come in with me…"

It had sounded like a plea and an order at the same time…and she was finding more and more reasons not to agree.

"Michiru…"

"I have nothing you haven't seen before…"

But she hated it when the other woman made such valid points…God really loved to torture her apparently…She sighed loudly and caved in.

"Fine…go…"

The violinist gave a thankful smile and went in the smaller enclosure followed closely by the blonde. Haruka closed the door behind her and stood there, her face towards the door, her back towards the already changing woman. She crossed her arms as silence pervaded the room, the only sounds being made by the rustling of clothes. It's not that she felt uncomfortable…just that she knew if she were to taste a bit of that forbidden fruit she would yield…so quickly and easily. She sighed inwardly.

"I'm sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable Haruka."

Michiru sounded so sad and morose that the young CEO almost felt panicky that she may have been acting so outwardly crass. She shook her head and kept her eyes locked at the door.

"Y-you're not…I'm just…making sure you're not feeling uncomfortable…that's all," she replied sheepishly and scratched the back of her head.

"I'm almost done…"

She swallowed at the sudden lump in her throat at the continued sound of sadness echoing from Michiru's voice and abruptly turned around, throwing caution to the wind. She looked away, but not before giving a little smile and, to her surprise, getting a little peak of cleavage as the younger woman was buttoning her pajama top up. She was so sure the blood in her system had all either gone up to her brain and would sprout out of her nose or gone down where she felt the familiar warmth settling itself in her underbelly.

"Ne, Haruka."

She looked back at her now as the top button of her pajama top was securely fastened.

"Are you going to change as well?"

Looking down at her dress shirt and pants, she merely nodded and began unbuttoning her white polo long sleeve. It seemed…strange…

"Is it just me…or is this kind of strange?" she asked out loud.

Michiru laughed then, and she could tell that the same thing was gracing both of their minds.

"Undressing in front of each other like this without sexual connotations attached?" the violinist asked in mirth.

"I blame you," Haruka grunted playfully and pulled her arms off of the dress shirt to leave her white undershirt on.

"Well I'm sorry if I'm scared of completely valid reasons and not at…scary monsters from movies—

"Hey! Uncalled for!" the tomboy yelled playfully and laughed as she unzipped her pants.

She noted the brief hint of a blush appearing form the violinist's face, but it could've been attributed to the dimness of the room. She decided to dismiss it.

"One more word about my fear of scary movies and I'm not sharing a room with you tonight," she warned, gathered her clothes up and opened the bathroom door.

Michiru chuckled from behind her as they made their way back to the room, the smaller woman's hand gripping her waist again like she did when they went to the bathroom.

They were met once again with the soft glow of the lone candlelight there and only now had Haruka kind of noticed that…it was romantic…and scary at the same time. She decided not to think about it because one: she couldn't afford to think horny and center warming things when sharing a room with the smaller woman and not get caught and two: she didn't want to look like the scared six year old she had already unabashedly showed before. They deposited their clothes next to their futons and as the blonde turned back around to see what the other woman was doing, became amused to no end at seeing her pulling her futon close enough to hers to merit no distance between then whatsoever.

"Too scared to sleep three feet away ojou-sama?" She couldn't help the condescending smirk too apparently."

The violinist merely gave her a cross look before slipping inside the cool sheets, the taller woman walking over to the table to blow the candle out. Momentary darkness settled over her eyes and she had to kneel and feel her way to the futon, successfully reaching hers without accidents: a stub in the toe or a little bit of feel up. She had to admit the latter was more inviting…

She sighed.

"Something wrong Haruka?"

She sighed outwardly again and settled in her futon as well, pulling the blanket up all the way to her chin and feeling a bit of chill as the cold sheets enveloped her figure.

"Nothing," she finally answered and turned the other way. "We should sleep. Another long day tomorrow…"

Michiru probably nodded, but she didn't see this of course, her attention fixed on the bare wall in front of her.

"Period?"

She turned her head a little in askance at the smaller woman's words.

"You shouldn't have it yet though," the violinist continued. "We are…three days apart…and we just finished a week ago…But you seem moody enough."

The blonde laughed and turned around to face her, a wide grin still etched on her face. "Funny that you would know and calculate stuff like that."

Michiru sighed, her cross look imminent even in the darkness of the room. "Knowing your menstrual cycle's normal Haruka…"

"You can keep tabs. I'll just ask you when mine'll be."

She gave a toothy, cheeky grin and settled on her back, the violinist merely smiling at her attitude. Silence surrounded them again until—

"I haven't forgotten you know."

Haruka smirked. "I know."

"Why won't you tell me?"

"It's not important anymore."

"It still looks like it is."

The taller woman sighed and closed her eyes tiredly. "It may still be important…but there's no reason to open it up. No one can do anything about it."

The violinist sighed as well and nodded, albeit slowly. "I'll be here…so when you're ready to talk about it…I'll listen."

She bit the inside of her cheeks and stared at the ceiling until sleep took her an hour later. Michiru slept soon after she had drifted off.

O--O

"What's this about you firing Rai-san?"

She hadn't expected Michiru's father to be here…and although she knew she had somewhat made a better impression on Shina only two days ago…the elder female Kaioh was cold to her yet again. No greeting from anyone except Jiro and she had even bowed while saying her good mornings…This wasn't going to be a good day…she could already feel it.

"Otou-san, she was more of a hassle than anything—

"Michiru-chan…" Shinji said exasperatedly and with a little rub to his temples for good measure. "She is your wedding planner. She…takes care of calling all the middle men. She wasn't a hassle—

"To me she was. She gallivanted around when it pleased her, said very mean and cruel things to all members involved, and was overall unprofessional," Michiru stated evenly and continued to lock eyes with the same sapphires. "I wouldn't have fired her for any other reason—

"You don't call that a reason?"

Emeralds narrowed automatically as the aqua haired man pointed to her while spitting out the word "that".

Apparently, the violinist was appalled as well. "Otou-san—

"I bet all she had to tell you was that Rai-san was being 'mean' to her and that was all it took. You fired your wedding planner just because your so-called 'best-friend' asked you to. It's the kind of…immaturity I would expect from—

"Now you're just being rude—

"And that was the second time you cut me off. Do not cross me Michiru. I am not having a good week."

The anger had boiled up so quickly within her, but all she could do was stand her ground. She glanced at the smaller woman and saw her clenched jaw and tight posture, her sapphire eyes darting everywhere, but at the man in front of her. Her hands balled into automatic fists in her pockets.

"This is why I'm here," Shinji said evenly, his heavy frown imminent on his face. "I am taking time off of Kaioh-Miroku for this reason. Rai-san will be working for us again…starting tomorrow."

An exhausted and frustrated sigh erupted from Michiru, but he continued on nonetheless.

"Oji-san…that's—

"Fine!" He looked at Jiro and breathed in. "Let's say we cut a deal then. Either we have Rai-san join us again…or have your friend leave. You see my wedding planner as important as I see your companion so…decide Michiru-chan. Tenoh goes and she doesn't get hired again or Tenoh stays and she comes back tomorrow."

Haruka briefly wondered where all this animosity was coming from…and then completely disregarded it because it was only another thing to stress Michiru out in this wedding. Just like she was…

A frown flittered on her features as she glanced at the violinist form her peripherals, seeing her opening her mouth for her quick answer.

"She—

"If it's too much of a problem I'll go," the blonde said quietly.

The smaller woman's hand darted out to grip her wrist and without looking at her and still eyeing her father whose attention was swinging back and forth from them, stated, "I need you. She can come back tomorrow…but tell her to mind her manners. And if she acts dumb in regards to what I'm talking about then you can choose her over me otou-san. I'll come at the wedding date and you and everyone else can plan this entire God forsaken wedding yourself, because everyone in this room knows I could care less about this entire thing. Do not make me choose between keeping Haruka here or not…or I'll just leave with her and you can send me the invitations when you feel like the wedding date's been formally decided and you finally need me."

Shinji looked genuinely stunned for a moment before finally eyeing the tomboy this time, his look that of extreme hatred.

"This is the kind of crap you taught her isn't it? To be disrespectful to me and—

"If I taught her anything, it's to be herself," the blonde stated evenly, locking eyes with his sapphires. So early in the morning and she was already so tired of this entire thing. "You taught her how to be the perfect little porcelain doll. Sorry if I broke her a little Kaioh-san."

She could feel him ready to pounce and somewhat readied herself for it as well.

"That's enough Shinji," Shina's voice stated, cutting the air like knife. Everyone's attention shifted to her direction, Haruka and Shinji's somewhat slower and less deliberate than the others.

"Tenoh-san, mind who you are when you're speaking to me and my husband or I will personally make sure you never see my daughter again. Michiru-chan, apologize to you father for cutting him off not once, but twice, and Shinji…be a little more thoughtful and less forward…for the sake of this wedding and everyone's sanity."

Everyone stayed quiet until Michiru gave a little bow of apology at her father's direction, turned around, and gave tired, fake smile at the waiting staff members of Sweet Escape, her wrist still firmly gripping Haruka's.

O--O

"Wow…he's completely harsh today," Jiro whispered, albeit loud enough to let Michiru and Haruka hear.

"What happened in your board meeting yesterday?" the violinist asked, eyeing the cake picture book and flipping the page over in distaste.

Jiro continued looking at the pictures as his face gave an obvious uneasy look. "Not good…business related stuff—

"If both of you are so needed, you should just go. It's not like we can't plan this entire wedding without you two…Otou-san's nerved presence here just tenses everyone up…"

She looked up at the troubled blonde, reached up, and brushed her hair a little. Dazed emeralds looked at her momentarily in askance, but she only smiled back with worry.

"Let's pick these out…I hate sweets. This is all just formality…"

"Isn't this entire wedding a formality?" Haruka asked, making Michiru smile at her first crassly said words of the day.

Only Jiro could bring out her more…annoying side, regardless of how much is in her mind.

The red haired man merely stuck his tongue out and continued on with the quest of finding the perfect cake.

"Michiru-chan, they'd like it if you went inside and taste which cake you'd like. Jiro-kun, please join her. Tenoh-san, a word, if you may."

The violinist was immediately worried, but had little time to think as Jiro pulled her up and led her to the baking area of the establishment, a staff member signaling them to hurry as they made their leave. Haruka stayed behind, gave her a sure smile if only for a moment, and converted back to her frown that had made its home on her face for the better part of the day so far.

Emerald eyes watched them go into the backroom and disappear out of sight, the once married couple sitting where the fiancés had been only moments ago, Shina to her left, and Shinji farther away on the same sofa. She stared at the ground wordlessly, waiting for either of them to start, lest her pent up rage spill and the importance of looking like a nice little Japanese girl, which she had already failed at showing anyway, is destroyed.

It's all for Michiru…was a mantra that she had to just keep repeating. If this were for anyone else, she'd tell them to stuff their face in a toilet bowl and drown…But it was for Michiru…It was all for her Michiru.

"Let's get a couple things straight," Shinji stated causing her to look up at sparkling, angry sapphire eyes.

Shina stayed between the two of them silently, her stare downcast as well.

"You don't like me…I don't like you…and unless you were to ever be with my daughter in a romantic sense, this would never be a problem."

Gone was the guy she actually liked a month back when she spent the better part of the day with him and showed him the unoccupied condominiums in town. She was fake then anyway, and she sussed he had been too. But…Michiru's father figure…needed to act more like it…because his attitude was making her angry, indifferent, and sad…all at the same time.

"This isn't a problem…because you will never be with Michiru-chan in that sense…so…with that said…know your role in this wedding. Know who you are, know who you're speaking to, and know—

"And will you do the same Kaioh-san?" she asked suddenly, giving him a challenging look. "Because from where I'm sitting right now, there's nothing, but hypocrisy written in your face."

Shinji stood up and so did she, her fists tightening into frustrated balls as her jaw clamped in anger.

"I know who I am," she seethed, punching her chest roughly with her fist as she did so and feeling the pain reverberate from her system before her rage completely dissipated it. Aggravated emeralds locked with sapphires as she spat out, "What I don't understand is why you don't think we're in the same page. Why you assume I don't respect you and why my feelings shouldn't matter. You know what? Maybe it shouldn't. No…it really shouldn't. What should matter is your daughter…myfriend, my reason for being here right now taking all of this crap from all directions.

"She cares…so much…with what you two think that she's baring all of this…for you. Yet you can't tolerate the one thing she's asking you to. Me. She's asked me to do the same and I've done so. Regardless of what either of you think…I am not a patient person. If this were any other situation where your daughter is not involved I would rightly and justly called both of you out for all your bullshit a long time ago. But I suppress it…for her. And I don't understand why everyone just can't put on their fake masks for everyone else's sake just so this entire planning stage can be over, Jiro can be married to your daughter, and everyone lives happily the hell ever after!"

She breathed in to center herself for a moment before looking away and sitting down, leaving the Kaiohs standing. But it was getting stuffy in there and being in the same room as both of them hurt her mentally and emotionally. Gulping she got back up and breathed loudly, her angry frown imminent in her entire posture.

"All she wants from both of you…is a little love and understanding," she said quietly, a huge one-eighty from her otherwise yelling form earlier. "She doesn't say it, but she doesn't have to. She shouldn't have to. She's your daughter…you made her. Read her mind…read your hearts…It's been a long time since she's seen her family happy and I hate being the one in the middle of it because it forces her to choose. It forces you Kaioh-san to have animosity towards me, which gets her stuck in another corner all our doing. 'Haruka or my parents?' I would never want to ask myself, 'My mother or Michiru?' because the end result is losing someone…love of my life or the woman who took care of me since I was even born? Why are you making her choose between a friend and you? Am I that big of a threat? Someone's who's here to make sure she's okay and not stressed out from a wedding? Someone who knows that she'll be married by the end of the month and is more than willing to just let it slide so she can keep the people most important to her by her side? I ask both of you to tell me…what don't you like about me? Why all this animosity?

"Time and time again I tell myself to breathe whenever I'm in these situations because I lash out and say something that I might regret…but I haven't done that yet. I haven't…done anything…that would make either of you hate me. So why do you?"

"You love my daughter."

She nodded at Shinji. "Yes, I do. And if that's your only reason, you'll know exactly why I'm completely disregarding both of your opinion regarding me from here on out. You hate me…I don't hate you. There's no reason to hate someone so close and dear to Michiru. You don't like me, because I'm a girl and like your daughter. The funny thing is…if I was a guy…and I courted your daughter, we would probably be the best of friends by now…but…I'm not. I've never learned how to 'deal with it' only because I never had a problem with it in the first place. But if my orientation is the only thing you see…if a lesbian trying to steal your daughter away is all I am to you, then we have nothing else to talk about…because I can't help you if you choose to be ignorant. I said this to your wife…only yesterday…I'm here until Michiru decides to let me go. She's my best-friend…and she's your daughter. I hope…we can learn to get along for her sake…because I'm tired of making her choose sides and in the end…I feel that it would be more damaging to her to lose both of you than me…and since that's the case, I would never let her experience the pain of losing a parent who she never got to talk everything she wanted to with…because it's happened to me…and I still hate myself for not taking the time to do so. I still hate him for not giving me enough love or attention."

She felt hot tears began welling up in her eyes and rubbed them away roughly, looking away from the Kaiohs to her left. She felt her hearth throb a little as her father's face came into view and she couldn't help the wry smile that flittered in her face.

"Before she marries, I beg you two to talk to her. You don't know her the way you should and she doesn't remember you as she should either. She'll never say that she misses you…it's always pride getting in the way. So…unless you sit down and talk to her about everything now, it'll all be left in the dust. Michiru isn't the type to cut ties, throw shoes in fireplaces, and run away from home just 'cuz she wants her father to pay attention to her more…she's a little more subtle…so…instead of always rounding up on me…you should really talk to her."

And with that, she turned away from the quiet couple and left Sweet Escapes.

O--O

"Wow."

"Not what you were expecting?"

Shinji shook his head…still a little shaken up from his "conversation" with Haruka.

"They have a knack of doing that…saying everything that they're thinking. Her mother did the exact same thing to me…and I went to you right after…"

The elder male Kaioh gave a shaky laugh before combing his neat hair back with his finger, making it fall into disarray in a matter of moments.

"So?"

"Well…we…definitely need to have a talk with Michiru-chan…about whatever is on her mind."

"She's very perceptive of Michiru-chan's feelings…that's for sure," Shina stated and sighed a little. "She and Tenoh-san knew exactly what to say to make me feel like a worthless mother without saying so outright…"

"Let's…keep going?"

"Further?"

"Let's see if we can push her…"

"Shinji…it might not be a good idea…"

"I know! But…I want to get to know her more…see what Michiru-chan sees."

The female Kaioh sighed again and leaned her head on Shinji's shoulder. "How does it feel to get cut off by your daughter twice?"

"It stung…" the tall man said softly. "She doesn't do it a lot so when she does…I know it's when I'm being completely unfair."

"Still bringing Rai-san tomorrow?"

"Of course…it's part of the plan isn't it?"

"Yes…yes it is."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 7.2K 14
❝ we 'd have to hold hands though ! ❞ ✧ in which you, mienai y/n, fall head over heels for the sweetest girl you've ever met, your best friend, urara...
6.5K 1.1K 42
[Based on a true story] [Friends to lovers] [Genre: Dark Romance, Drama] ▪︎ "Myung, you can lean on me... Let me help you..." That's what Haru t...
11.4K 475 66
I panickedly walked down the now empty hallway I heard some footsteps behind me I turned around to see the idiot who was NOT my GIRLFRIEND. "Don't f...
14K 492 25
「Why? Why her? Why not me?」 「You're mine!」 「YOU think that I'm joking?! You know what? Let me just show you what I meant by that!」 「If I can't have y...