Recovering Our Own

By VanillaCaramelLatte

Before people, there were Primum. They ruled this world, the dominant species of Earth, and coexisted peacefu... More

Prologue: A Delivery *
Chapter One: It is Beginning*
Chapter Three: Leaving Safety*
Chapter Four: Not a little girl
Chapter Five: Arrival
Chapter Six: Recruiting
Chapter Seven: At The Restaurant
Chapter Eight: A Serious Conversation
Chapter Nine: No Messing Around
Chapter Ten: The Picture
Chapter Eleven: Anger and Tears
Chapter Twelve: The Mall
My Q and A (not a new chapter, sadly :( )

Chapter Two: History Lesson*

74 10 31
By VanillaCaramelLatte

The next day, Kallan sprinted to The Tower, a large spiraling building covered in Primum symbols, headquarters of all Primum government affairs. She burst through the door, ignoring the guards. She sprinted up forty-nine flights of stairs to the top floor, where Raidah's quarters were.

"I need you to tell me," Kallan said, breathing heavily. "You said that you would tell me once the Recovery started. You said that before that I wasn't ready to handle it, but now I am, you said so yourself. Tell me what I can do. Tell me what this means."

She gestured to the tattoos on her left arm and cheek, mysterious Primum symbols colored smoky gray and pure white, which stood out dramatically against dark skin. They were quite pretty, and Kallan was very proud of them, and just because of their looks, but because of what they meant.

Raidah sat still in her chair, facing her vanity mirror. Her reflection showed no expression. After several minutes, she turned around to face Kallan. She looked more worn out and tired than Kallan had ever seen.

"I going to be honest with you Kallan," she said with a sigh. "You're tattoos are very rare, and we told you they hadn't been seen for a very long time in Primum history."

"Yeah, I know that. Hey, who was the last person like this?" Kallan asked.

"That's just the thing," Raidah started. "We don't exactly know. There are now records of anyone having those tattoos, and they are very ancient symbols which are no longer used."

"So... what are you trying to tell me?" puzzled Kallan.

"What I'm trying to say is, we have no idea what your tattoos mean."

Kallan stood, silent, in shock.

"However, there is a way to find out," Raidah added. "But, it won't be easy. Not at all."

"What do I have to do?"

"You've studied your history, yes?" asked Raidah.

Kallan nodded.

"What do you know about the history of our people?"

"Our people, the Primum, were the dominant beings of this planet in its beginning. Eventually, the humans decided they wanted to have control. Primum people were killed or driven out of what the humans now call Europe, Australia, and Africa. For a few centuries the Primum people were able to peacefully coexist with humans in Asia, but then the Primum population grew too large to continue hiding from the people who were against us. We migrated to North and South America, were the human population was more excepting. We learned from each other and grew. But then a human by the name of Christopher Columbus 'discovered' the Americas and we were once again forced into hiding. Our people currently reside in the space the humans refer to as the Bermuda Triangle. We call it the Totus Islands. Primum use our ability to work with natural elements to control the environment around these islands and keep out people. But our population is dwindling, and we must recover our own rightful land which the humans so cruelly drove us out of, in order that we do not die out."

"And why is our population declining while the humans increase?" Raidah inquired.

"What is this, a history test?" Kallan joked.

"I'm trying to explain something, and if you want to initiate the Recovery you better go with it!" Raidah snapped.

"Oh. Uh, sorry," mumbled Kallan.

"Now, please answer the question."

"Well, Primum, are born when metals and dust fall from space and certain chemical reaction occurs, creating an egg. In the early days of Primum life, eggs were plentiful. But as the human population grew, their pollution and wasteful byproduct has ruined the perfect conditions that a Primum egg needs to hatch. Also, it is rarer for an egg to be found by our people because humans stumble upon them and put them in museums, displayed as artifacts from an ancient civilization. It is also now not as common for eggs to be created since the humans have damaged the environment the metals and space dust need to form an egg. Here, in the place we have claimed, we are able to create the conditions an egg needs to thrive, but all eggs found must be relocated to here as quickly as possible. It is difficult to send out egg search parties in today's modern world of humans."

"Yes, that's all very true," Raidah acknowledged. "There's one very important thing you're missing."

"Um...." Kallan mumbled, giving Raidah a blank stare.

"The human/Primum link?" Raidah prompted.

"Uh... I don't know what that is," Kallan admitted.

"Do they really not teach this in that school?" she huffed. "Very well, I'll explain it. When a Primum egg hatches, a human is born. These two people, of different breeds, are almost identical. The only significant difference is the absence of Primum tattoos on the human. These humans are called Primum-twins."

"Wow. How very creative," Kallan interrupted.

"Anyway, these Primum-twins are usually exceptionally gifted in the area their corresponding Primum has power in. For example, since I have water Abilities, my Primum- twin might be a very good swimmer, or be able to hold their breath underwater for an unusually long period of time."

"So, what you're saying, is that my Primum- twin with be gifted in the area of my Ability," Kallan said.

"Yes," Raidah confirmed. "So if we find your twin-"

"We figure out my Ability."

Later, during Weaponry Training-

"She want you to do what?" Owen screamed.

"Dude, calm down. She said we have to find my Primum-twin," Kallan said.

"You say that like it's going to be easy. How do you expect to find one specific person out of about seven billion humans in the world?"

"Well, process of elimination should help," she answered.

"What're you going to do? Make a list of all the humans in the world and cross them of one by one?"

"Good idea. We can start with eliminating all the guys," Kallan said as she aimed her shotgun at the target and fired. "Then it'll get a little more difficult. They would look like me, but me how I naturally look. I'm not even sure what my natural hair color is anymore." Right now, Kallan's spiral curls were dyed ombre purple, fading into ice white.

"I don't think that matters. Raidah said that you would be similar not only in looks, but also in personality, right?" asked Owen.

"Yeah," Kallan responded.

"So maybe you should look somewhere that you would go yourself," he suggested.

"But I've never been outside of the Islands," Kallan protested. "I don't even know myself that well."

"Well, figure yourself out then, because the fate of our species relies on it," snapped Owen. It was rare for him to get angry, but when he did the bright colors of his tattoos that normally seemed warm and happy appeared foreboding and sinister, red like blood instead of red like love. They stood out in stark contrast to the pale white line of a scar that ran across his cheek through the fiery swirls.

"Weren't you the one saying this whole thing was impossible just a moment ago?" Kallan retorted.

"I know, and I still think the chances of finding her a slim. Very slim. But it's our only choice, we've tried everything else, and we're not about to give up now."

"Well, maybe we should wait a bit, you know? Give it some more time."

"Kallan, we've been working on it since before you were born. Before I was born, actually," Owen said. "They're only doing this as a last resort, nobody's really very keen on the idea."

"But why do I have to go now?" Kallan complained. I sound like a whiny little stuck up brat, she thought as she said it, but the idea of venturing into human territory is sickening. I feel like I'm going to be sick. Why is this day is just filled with nauseating situations?

"Kallan," Owen said, suddenly very serious. "You are our last chance. So stop being a five year old and go find her!"

"Alright, okay," Kallan sighed. "When do I have to leave?"

"Tomorrow morning," Raidah answered as she re-entered the arena, perfect timing as always. "Do you know much about Canada?"

A/N 

Hi guys! 

The above picture is sort of how I picture Kallan looking, except with her hair entirely purple and getting almost white at the end. I don't know who the girl in this pic is, I just found it on Google Images! Whoever you are, you are very pretty :) . Just imagine her with tattoos. 

 So, what do you think so far? I know there's a lot to take in in this chapter, I was trying to figure out how to introduce some backstory stuff. 

As always, thanks so much for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote and comment! Please don't be a ghost reader, I want to know what you think. :)

Constructive critique and writing advice is always welcome!

What do you think happens next? Why Canada? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

448K 17.7K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...
2.3K 54 12
My father brought out his long glinting sword and plunged it into my mothers stomach. It seemed the second time was more painful than the first. It...
60.6K 3.1K 34
Anna Holland is a college freshman with strange empathic psychic powers that she has managed to keep hidden. She senses auras, feels what others feel...
200K 5.7K 62
Hi Readers, Before you read this book, I just wanted to say that I am currently in the process of rewriting this story. Changes, whether they are bi...