Chronicles of Yugure: Plummet...

By Dreaming_Fantasies

[COMPLETED AND ADDING ILLUSTRATIONS/NEW COVER ADDED] Book One of the Yugure series Indulge yourself in a fant... More

Copyright Notice
Dedications
Author's Note
Introduction
Day One
Day Two
Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Nine
Day Ten
Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen
Day Fifteen
Day Sixteen
Day Seventeen
Day Eighteen
Day Nineteen
Day Twenty-One
Day Twenty-Two
Day Twenty-Three
Day Twenty-Four
Day Twenty-Five
Day Twenty-Six
Epilogue
Index
Author's Note
Book 2 Day One ~ A Sorrowful Beginning

Day Twenty

37 5 4
By Dreaming_Fantasies

"Damage report!" I yell out to the fog below me, hoping that there will be someone there to respond.

~

"Get up," I go and budge the two friends awake. It is just turning four, like we had planned. It was now or never.

My hands grab for the documents I had been translating and rip them to shreds. For added measure, I put their pieces in a bucket of water we were given to drink. The freshly painted on ink can be seen slowly seeping out of the paper into the liquid turning it dark.

'And that will be the last of that.'

"Enoki, we're ready." Sendaar said, handing me my satchel.

I smile and accept my bag, throwing it over my shoulder. We huddle beside each other at the tent wall that we decided would be best for our departure. My right hand shakes as I point my index finger at the tent fabric.

"Once we tear this tent fabric open, there's no going back, are we sure we are all ready?" They both nod in reply. I, too, nod and jab my claw into the fabric and slice downward.

Rip!

'Well that could 'ave been a little more quiet.' I take a glance to my right and then my left, making sure the coast was clear before we departed from the safety of our enclosure. No guards were nearby, and the watch tower was not paying any attention to this small spans of sand that we were headed down.

"This is far too easy," I whisper to Sendaar. He, not wanting to make any noise, shakes his head up and down. Somethings not right, I can feel it.

We slow to a stop, letting our feet sink into the moon cooled sand. I lift my eyes to the heavens above to look at the sentry towers. No one was there. The wooden towers stand empty, with no one to warn the camp of our getaway. In fact, all the guards on this side of the island are nowhere to be seen.

"Ksssssssaaaaaaaaarrrhhhhh!" The ice wyvern hisses at us as it rises up from behind our tent.

"Look out!" Naz cries out as they run out of the way of Krah's icy breath. We heed Namazzi's advice and flee for our lives. The subzero mist devours the patch of sand we were just standing on two seconds ago. This is why the soldiers weren't at their post; they would be consumed by the ice, forever to have their individual cells frozen solid.

I turn to look for my friends, to see if they are alright. Naz lays on their side, and Sendaar is crouched in the sand shocked at the surprise attack. 'There is no way we can-'

"Enoki!" Sendaar squawks at me, now brushing himself off as quickly as he can before Krah can turn around and strike us once more with their powerful flurry. "Do it now!"

I go to quickly protest that we run instead but he silences me before I can retort. "NOW!"

Krah has turned around now and is inhaling for their next shot at us. The wyvern seems to be aiming at Namazzi. "Gyah!" I cry aloud, flinging my pollen wherever it may go. I don't think to plan ahead and select a plant to sprout, so I just improvise with the Schizophragma hydrangeoides- a species of hydrangea vine that is winter tolerant. Whether that will be enough to stop the ice wyvern, I'm not sure.

To be honest, no plant could possibly hold a beast down as fierce as a wyvern. You all must be thinking this is plain fancy work- a fabrication of my imagination. But for some reason, my connection to these plants allows me to alter their cellular structure, working them to my desires. Convenient, yes?

The thin, wire like vines reach out and grasp at the frosty tail of the dragon. It screeches with anger as it is plucked out of the tropical blue sky, plummeting to the icy sand. More vines pour out of the granules and silt to wrap around the brute's wings. A cluster of vines fasten themselves into a fine muzzle around the more dangerous end of the creature. It hisses through the cracks of its teeth, furious at being restrained.

"Shoot them!" The General leaps out of his shelter waving his arms like a mad dog. An army of foot soldiers charge out of the cover with bows drawn.

My body jerks backwards, skittering away from the advancing archers. "Run!" I call out to my dispersed band. They follow my lead, running in all different directions. I head straight for where we had planned to run, well at least I think it is straight.

Snap! Crack! "Ksssgrraawwr!"

Krah shatters through the vines, eyes beaming down the back of my neck. It feeds off its own hatred for me and fuels its icy furnace that blasts frost particles my way. Nearly missing me, the shot fired lands on the water, freezing a slippery pathway for my escape which I use as a few extra feet of runway.

My wings pounds themselves on my sides, challenging the pace of the pounds of my swiftly beating heart. I never quite tasted adrenaline; unless you count the time I awaited the winning results of the science fair, or the time I competed in the academic decathlon. The ice Krah blasted on the ocean surface begins to form a barrier of fog, encasing my vision with wet and white haze. I don't put any thought to my flight pattern, I fly as fast and as hard as I can- away from the horrid island. It's only after I've flown, for what I can only guess was six or so miles, that I realized we all went in separate directions with no plan for a rendezvous.

~

No response from below the mist. My thoughts wander, frantically trying to collect a sense of an idea as to where they may go. It's early in the morning, still not too bright out. The sunrise is bittersweet; to see something so beautiful after just escaping imprisonment only to remember that the rest of your party may not have been so lucky as to break free from our bonds.

'Were they recaptured? Were they turned to ice, or worse?' I have half a mind to turn back and look for them, but I know that would be foolish to head back in the direction my pursuers. If I am also captured, there would be no one to go get help. Help.

'But who?' That is the big question of the week. Who could I possibly contact? What am I to do in the middle of the ocean with no knowledge of anything in this realm.

"'Tis not like I know anyone 'round... Milah!" The name pops into my mind with energetic cheers. Milah has lived here for quite a while and may possibly be able to help. He also happens to be conveniently living next to one of the largest volcanos in the realm, if not the biggest in the small bunch. My eyes search for the dark figure of the volcano, but with all the fog, it's hard to see well.

I think about flying higher to get out of this fog that follows me, but it may be the only thing keeping me hidden from the jaws of a revenge thirsty monster, and there's also the wyvern following in said master's suit. Something about that troll was off; he was far too polite to be running a swarm of wolfwyre soldiers. His son was no bucket of sunshine either, that's for sure. The way he was so caught up with dishing out violence gives me the willies just thinking about it.

The fog slowly rolls off my back until there is none left. This both makes me relax and tense up at the same time, if that's even possible. It does give me the advantage of spying Milah's volcano as well as a fantastic view of the sapphire ocean reflecting how terribly worn I look.

"I'm taking a long vacation after this," I moan, allowing the knowledge of me being exhausted settle into my brain. I didn't want to admit it, but I am feeling tired beyond my years. If I were a bear, I'd hibernate this winter and long into the next century.

With my course set and my sundial and compass firmly strapped onto my wrist, I fly at a steady pace. I want to get to Milah as soon as my wings can get me. My calculations estimate my flight time at around four hours, so I'll be there just about the time he gets home from his morning fishing. Now for some extremely boring flying.

I manage to play I Spy with myself once again, looking for things that surround this oceanic region. Although I beat myself once more in this game of spying, I find it lacking any feelings of success. Accompanying the terribly unchallenging game and the lousy opponent I have, I also sing to myself that gryphon ballad The Dragon Oaks' Song which reminds me of how much I miss Lady Hawk.

"A whistle and holler to my lovely caller,
Who dances in the shade of the Dragon Oaks' dome.
Her beauty persuades and calls me to roam,
In the great golden presence of the Dragon Oaks' song.
The leaves chant and sway in the wind as they b'long,
Rustling their cheery chorus all day long.
O, how I cannot fathom her grace, poise so elegant.
While others attempt to court her, I simply just can't.
To try and tame one so strong and free,
Is to try and restrain each great golden tree.
That is why I sit, under the shade I be,
To watch her sing and dance and be like the Dragon Oak tree."

My voice cracks at the final verse: tired, sad, lonely, and incredibly thirsty. I still have a good hour and a half until I reach Milah, and I'm counting every second that passes. The rest of the flight is silence. This time I use for reflecting on recent events, contemplating my life choices.

'I should 'ave gotten into some athletic sport,' I regret sitting inside reading all my books like a good little nerd instead of joining in some exuberant exercise. I may have felt better right now if I had.

I land with a thud when I arrive at the blessed island of Milah's. His hut is in view, and I take no time rushing over there to take a crack at the door, knocking repeatedly. When no response arrives, I rudely open the door myself, walking into his home uninvited.

"Milah?" I call out. "Milah, 'tis Enoki. The boy ye helped on directions to Sendaar's clan? Hello?"

"Enoki?" A voice calls out from outside. I rush immediately to greet the person who I can only presume is Milah. Luckily, it is him, and I rush to my knees, pleading for his assistance.

He scratches the back of his head with his wing claws. "W-what are you doing here, sonny? I thought you would be with Sendaar by now," he looks puzzled.

"Well, yes, I was, just this morning. But, we kind of got separated and 'tis a really long story, but I thought ye may know of a way to help me find him."

"I wish I could help you, my boy, I do- honestly. I really wish you hadn't come back here, Enoki, I really do."

I make an awkward face. 'Wait, what?' That's when they appear. Four wolfwyres, coming up behind Milah laughing and prodding him with a spear just for fun.

"You did well, old man; just like Aaryan predicted. Now all we need is the raptin and our lil' secrets will be safe and sound." Their howling cackles rise through the air, loud and obnoxiously. Somehow, I feel this predicament is only just beginning.

/Hey all! Sorry this chapter didn't come out quickly. I decided that editing the first few chapters was more of a priority than finishing this one.

Also, like the new title? Eh, eh? *wink wink* A many thanks to all my fellow Wattpadians for showing me in the right direction to catchy and unique titles; I'm truly grateful to you all.

It's amazing how my writings juices work so much better in the late night. My inspiration these past few hours has been some quiet tunes from my writing device (AKA the smartphone) and my lava lamp that's sitting on my desk. Ideas are flooding in for the next few chapters, so I really hope you're looking forward to them as much as I am!

Be sure to vote for my chapters if you've truly enjoyed it. Comments are always loved! I really get excited from hearing from my readers and listening to their opinions. I will always respond- so don't not post because you're afraid of being looked over! Don't forget to put my story in your library and give me a follow if you want to receive updates on new chapters, edits, and et cetera.

Thanks for keeping with me and Enoki. Stay tuned to find out what happens to our lovely green friend in the next chapter!

Stay creative,
~Eno/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 7.1K 45
#1 in Reverse Harem and #2 in Harem on 08/28/2021 #4 in Harem on 9/30/21 #17 in Romance out of 1.91 million stories on 1/16/22 #4 Paranormal 12/11/22...
564 174 18
Axle has known magic his whole life. Not the kind of magic from stage acts and swindlers on the streets, the kind that was used in secret, under the...
316 25 13
Born into a prestigious family, Elijah had to shoulder a lot of things- pride, family name, being the best of the best... These things were not what...
1K 83 23
[Book 3 in the Ember Wind series] March, 2043... With Judas dead, the infamous glitches have stopped occurring however that doesn't things have begun...