Artificial Mind

By Inconvenient_Ideal

After hiding from a Decepticon attack, Minnie Ballentine gets swept up into the ongoing battle between them a... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22

08

1.7K 70 2
By Inconvenient_Ideal

Sighing and looking to the horizon, Optimus looked quickly to Smokescreen. The excitable young bot stood by his side practically jumping on the spot. Before Jack, Miko and Raf had arrived, and while Minnie was still half asleep and not taking too kindly to being turfed out of her sleeping position in the passenger seat, Optimus had sent her back to her temporary room and walked down to the main base of operations.

There had been blips on the radar. Blips of the energon kind. Optimus knew full well that the likelihood of some of the blips being false leads and most likely a trap, was high. Regardless how could he ignore this? Eyeing up the Decepticon drones he looked back to Smokescreen. Optimus couldn't fault him on his enthusiasm, it was endearing to some extent. But Smokescreen really needed to calm down when out on the field. There were two drones acting as guards whereas a small line exited the small cave carrying the precious glowing substance the two Autobots were here to collect.

Exchanging a look they both charged forwards weapons raised. The guards were easily shot down and the first drone at the front of the line dropped the energon and charged forwards to meet them. The others naturally followed suit. Dodging blasts from canons the two Autobots managed to dispatch most of the drones. "Optimus!" Smokescreen called out to him as he jumped away from two drones, Optimus followed the quick point he gave.

Knock Out stood looking a little flustered. He gave a smile, dropped the energon he was clutching onto and easily raised his chosen weapon, in return Optimus raised his blaster to counter the saw and drill which Knock Out was aiming his way. "I get the feeling you're not in a cheery mood." Knock Out said comically. "How's your new friend doing? She sure can run!" Knock Out's words did little but annoy Optimus. Bringing out his blade, Optimus held it up and narrowed his eyes at Knock Out. As he charged forwards again, he didn't slow his pace until a ground bridge appeared behind him. "See you soon," Knock Out said casually, Optimus was close enough to lift his blade up and swipe it across Knock Out's chest. Naturally the red bot shouted about a ruined paint job, he was way too superficial.

"Optimus?" Smokescreen's voice called out quietly.

Optimus didn't realise he was standing glaring at the spot where Knock Out was last standing. Standing straight he turned and looked at the energon which had been left behind. "Ratchet, we need a bridge." He said while communicating to the medic through the link which always stayed frequently used and open.

——

Knock Out and Starscream exchanged a concerned look, yet both flinched when their leader slammed his fists down on the table. It was safe to say that Megatron was angry. "How is it you fail the simple task of capturing the meat bag and then fail to even harm Optimus just a little bit?" Megatron asked heatedly while red optics narrowed in Knock Out's direction.

"Ah, my Lord, you see-"

"Save the excuses, Knock Out! You're becoming as bad as Starscream." Megatron stood and turned from the two Decepticons in front of him.

"But, Master!" Starscream exclaimed a little pathetically.

Megatron just shot him a look, whatever else he was going to say, he may as well not. He certainly didn't want to listen to Starscream. "Well?" Megatron said shortly.

"Ah, my Lord, although the bug interrupted my previous mission, may I just tell you that your enemy is a little flustered." Knock Out explained tentatively, using the mocking nickname which everyone seemingly had for Bumblebee.

"Flustered?" Megatron repeated and a slow smile appeared on his face. "Go on, Knock Out. Maybe your excuse won't be as bad as one of Starscream's."

"My Lord, for the bug to have interrupted me I think I can say that their base is likely to be nearby. I must also say, that when speaking of the human with Optimus present results in rash tactical moves."

"Ah," Megatron walked forwards. "That is interesting." His optics slid to look at the two with a sidelong glance. "Very interesting. We are presuming that like most other humans, Optimus is willing to lay his life on the line, pathetic it truly is, but it was the path he decided to take." Megatron looked at Knock Out and Starscream squarely, "Find the human." With that last order said darkly he turned and stalked away. "Do not return empty handed, either of you, or it'll be the last mistake you ever make." He looked over his shoulder and disappeared through the door.

"Did he just say 'either'?" Starscream blinked several times and looked confused.

Knock Out slapped a hand to his forehead. "Great, how can this possibly get better?"

——

Minnie blinked slowly, she was caught in an awkward moment. "Why hello, Agent Fowler! How are you?" Minnie tried to ignore the fact that she was standing in checked pyjama trousers, a thin burgundy jumper, and carrying a toothbrush.

"You planning on a sleepover?" The Agent retorted, cross armed and an eyebrow raised.

"Erm, if I answer yes...what will you reply?"

"I will reply with: no, get the thought out of your head."

Minnie pouted up at the dark skinned man. "Agent-"

"No, I do not want to hear it." He crossed his arms apparently even firmer across his chest than before. He had no qualms with shooting her down whatsoever.

"But-"

"No."

"Optimus said it was fine," she grinned at her lie. The way she saw it, Agent Fowler wasn't likely to contradict the words of a thirty foot robot, who happened to be the leader of the Autobots.

Agent Fowler narrowed his eyes and looked her up and down. "Really?"

"Okay, it's only temporary, give me a chance to actually try and find a job and an apartment." Minnie said in a pleading tone. It wasn't like apartments were going cheap and easy down here, nor were jobs easy to come by either.

"Don't lie again." Fowler scorned.

"I won't."

"Lies can have bad consequences."

"I know." Minnie said seriously. The one bad lie her mind drifted to was the one of being sent to the park. Look at the consequences that lie had.

"I'm looking for the big guy, you seen him?" Fowler decided to ask instead, getting back on track to why he was currently visiting the base.

"No. I've not seen him at all today, why?"

"No reason."

"You think something's happened?" Minnie asked getting a little worried.

"Now, now hold your horses I'm sure nothing's happened." Fowler said while trying to calm Minnie down. The last thing he wanted to deal with was a hysterical woman. No thank you.

She darted past him and ran down the hallway, turning the corner she ran down the cold, metallic corridors. Skidding to a sudden stop she tried to catch her breath, leaning against her knees she slowly stood. Empty. She stared at the empty room. Frowning lightly she heard Fowler calling after her. There were oddly little nooks and crannies in the room to hide in. Pushing some leads out of the way, Minnie clambered into a small space. Tugging the leads back over herself she hid. Crouching in silence she listened as Fowler ran in, briefly looked around and left again. Getting comfortable, or as comfortable as possible, Minnie settled down. It was odd that she was comfortable laying nestled in a bunch of leads. Slowly she felt herself drift off to sleep.

——

It seemed that the process of shifting all of the energon was a longer process than what Optimus and Smokescreen first thought. "Maybe we can come back for the rest?" Smokescreen mused while speeding forwards towards the mouth of the cave. It seemed that only some of the energon had been fully excavated. That which was still in the rocks of the cave walls naturally had to stay. Neither of them knew when or if the Decepticons would be back.

The roughly cut glowing cubes of the energon which was freed and had been successfully mined was carried to the mouth of the cave, at first. Then on second thoughts it seemed that travelling in vehicle mode with the cubes was much easier. Whereas Smokescreens seats were packed with the stuff, Optimus's trailer space was stacked. Now that they had figured out this minor dilemma, they could now return back to base. Both Autobots were surprised to be greeted by Agent Fowler. It seemed that night had fallen in Jasper, and it was a rarity of sorts that the man would still be around, unless something bad has happened.

"Agent Fowler, what is the matter?" Optimus calmly asked while shifting forms, the energon lightly tumbled to the floor, although Bumblebee did catch most of them, Ironhide – much to Smokescreen's annoyance – was unpacking the energon from his seats like a human would with groceries. The two swiftly got bickering and this ended with a look being cast at them by both their leader and Fowler. The two promptly shuffled off then, Bumblebee followed after them clutching all the energon he could carry. Upon hearing their return, Bulkhead and Arcee had appeared to help carry what was left.

Ratchet slowly lifted the lever to swift off the ground bridge. "Your new companion," the Agent started saying, Ratchet and Optimus exchanged a look. Ratchet along with everyone else knew of Minnie staying, and of the small bond which had appeared between leader and human. In honesty, Ratchet didn't see a huge problem with it, Arcee, Bulkhead and Bumblebee had formed bonds with humans, why couldn't their leader do the same? He may question the reasons, the why's and the needs, but none of his friends seemed harmed by being friends with humans. Only because he had no interest, didn't meant others felt the same.

"Is there something wrong?" Optimus asked concerned.

"You knew she was staying in the base?"

"I did. I did not see any problem with it, if she has no other place to go, we cannot expect her to leave." Optimus said casually.

"Uh-huh," Fowler nodded unamused. "Well, your companion has gone and done a disappearing act."

"What?" Optimus said not knowing how this could happen really, how Agent Fowler was casual over this was beyond him.

"Hold on now, she's still in the base. Or else the Doc would have seen her leave, right?"

"That is true," Ratchet said while rubbing his chin. The exit to the base was literally to his left, to get to it someone would have to walk straight past him. Considering Ratchet hadn't moved, he hadn't seen anyone leave.

Optimus turned slowly and walked out of the room. "Ratchet, check the other rooms." Optimus said quietly, Ratchet nodded slowly and moved to walk in the opposite direction.

Turning into his room, he looked around. Enhancing his optics, he was able to shine a thin splinter of light over everything. There weren't exactly lights in their rooms. What use were lights to them really? Sure lights were needed in the main room, but in private quarters, not so much.

Shifting back into vehicle form, Optimus sat and waited. There was a tactic. Wherever Minnie was hiding, she'd surely have heard his and Smokescreen's return. Which then meant that she'd come out of hiding, and come to see him. Only after five minutes had passed and she still hadn't appeared, Optimus grew slightly concerned. Was Fowler really sure she hadn't left? As much as Optimus wasn't one for overreacting, but what if she had got out and Knock Out was lying in wait nearby?

——

(Edited: 5/August/2020)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.1K 1.3K 51
The final instalment of the Transformers Prime Series. Amanda Beckett knew the battle wasn't over, but she wasn't ready to fight again. Jack Darby s...
111K 2.9K 67
In the heart of the ongoing battle between Autobots and Decepticons, the bond between human partners and their Cybertronian allies is a crucial aspec...
2.5K 35 4
After the epic battle, a great city lies in ruins, but the Earth itself is saved. As humanity begins to pick up the pieces, a shadowy emerges to try...
50.7K 1.6K 43
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."- Master Oogway --- ~ BOOK 1 OF THE LIGHTBLADE SERIES Fate sometimes leads us to vario...