Second Chance At Life

By coulour

Zoe has it all; the perfect boyfriend, the perfect friends… the perfect life. In one second, her perfect worl... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four

Chapter Two

794 45 33
By coulour

'Kay here's chapter 2! :)

I stumbled into my house, locking the door, as thoughts of Ryan continued swirling around in my head. I shook my head in frustration before I retrieved my iPhone from the front pocket of my bag. I needed to shop. Mel doesn’t like shopping, so I dialled Brooke. Her phone was switched off for some reason. Groaning, I tried Ashley. Luckily, she picked up after two short rings.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Ash, I need you to come shopping. Now,” I said, urgently wanting to clear my head.

“Alright. Pick you up in 10 minutes?” she replied, as I heard ruffling in the background.

“Okay. See you soon,” I answered, dropping my phone back into my pocket. I grabbed my wallet filled with cash, along with a credit card just in case. Ashley pulled up in her baby blue smart car with a loud screech and I jumped in.

“Let’s go!” I shouted as we drove off, arriving at the mall soon after.

We walked in and I breathed a sigh of relief as the familiar clean scent of the mall overwhelmed me and the brightly lit displays caught my attention.

“I didn’t bring enough money,” Ashley wailed, holding up a tight white shirt to let me see.

“Oh, that is nice,” I mused, glancing at the price tag.

She nodded quickly, widening her green eyes into puppy dog eyes.

“Fine,” I rolled my eyes, tossing her my credit card. She caught it, and smiled slightly, before running over and giving me a quick hug.

I found a few items that I wanted, and Ashley did too. I ended up paying for everything as Ashley practically brought no money.

“Now shoes,” I said, dragging Ashley towards the shoe department. She ran towards a pair of 6 inch pumps and held them to her chest.

“Zoe, I will die if I don’t have these,” she said seriously, “I promise I’ll pay you back!”

“You still haven’t paid me back from the last four times we went shopping, Ash,” I told her, while I tried on some boots.

“I know! But I’m working on it! This will be the last thing, I promise!” she babbled, before sitting down next to me, her long tresses tickling my arm.

 “Fine, go ahead,” I groaned as I handed her my credit card again.

She grinned broadly before leaping up to pay for it, presumably to prevent me from changing my mind.

It was dark when we pulled up outside my house. She ended up purchasing more than me and her backseat was filled with her things.

“Thanks Zoe! Love you!” she shrieked as I walked up the steps to my house.

I smiled, and blew her a kiss.

“See you tomorrow!” she yelled before pulling away.

“Zoe, is that you?” my mother called as I pulled open the door.

“Yeah!” I shouted back, dropping my things on the floor, “I’m so tired! Is dinner ready?”

“Yes, come and eat, honey!” she said loudly, “Spaghetti today!”

I walked into the living room and dropped myself into my usual spot. Wolfing down half my plate, I smiled contently.

“Where were you, honey?” my dad asked as he sat down slowly, smiling at me.

“Cheerleading, then I went to the mall,” I said breezily.

“Shopping again?” my mother asked with an eyebrow raised.

“Not really,” I replied, “Okay, maybe a little.”

Luke walked in with his basketball uniform still on, and ruffled my hair as he sat down beside me. He looked weary but his large blue eyes were filled with excitement.

“I don’t see Mel around much anymore. Are you guys drifting apart or something?” he asked as he pushed a mouthful of pasta into his mouth.

“What? No way. You’re just not home when she comes,” I said, twirling my pasta with my fork.

“Oh really? I’ll stay home more often then,” he mumbled, while chewing on his food.

“Why do you care anyway? She’s my friend, not yours,” I retorted, glaring in his direction.

He shrugged, “Just curious.”

I filled my mouth with water just as Luke continued, “She’s kinda’ cute, y’know?”

I spat out my water and stared at him like he had just grown another head.

“She’s kinda’ what?” I shouted incredulously.

He flushed slightly, before glaring back at me, “Eat your food, and shut up.”

I blinked, trying to process the information.

“How was basketball, honey?” my mother asked Luke.

His face lit up. “Great! I think we have a really good chance this season. Our team is so much better than last year!” he said animatedly.

I swallowed my mouthful and turned to my mother.

“Mommm,” I tugged on her arm lightly, “Can I use my car again? Please?”

She chuckled softly, “Do you think I’ll let you use it after you got so many tickets for speeding, and parking? I don’t even know how you got your license!”

“I promise I’ll be more careful! Just for tomorrow! Brooke or Ash can’t pick me up, and I don’t want to go with Luke. Please? Just for tomorrow? Please please please?” I pleaded.

“You’ll be careful right, honey?” my mom asked softening.

“Yep’. Definitely!” I assured her.

“Alright then. Only tomorrow,” she replied with a smile before turning back to her dinner.

I smiled to myself. I had my parents twisted around my little finger. Glancing up, I saw Luke watching me with a knowing look on his face.

“What?” I tilted my head to the right innocently.

“Nothing,” he shook his head, seeing right through me.

“Ashley thinks you’re attractive,” I told him as I finished the last of my pasta.

He smirked, “All the girls think I’m attractive. Even some guys too.”

“Not Mel,” I said instantly with a smug look.

That wiped his smile off immediately. “What? How do you know?” he asked, genuinely shocked.

I took a look at his expression and cracked up, unable to stop the giggles as he squirmed in his seat uncomfortably, just realising his slip.

“God, Zoe. You are so immature,” he shot at me, before stalking off to his room.

That only made me laugh more, until I finally calmed down ten minutes later.

My parents were washing the dishes, and even my father was helping. I grabbed an apple from the fridge and watched them splash each other with water like they were teenagers.

“Ew, guys. Get a room,” I said, as I took a bite of my apple.

They ignored me, as my father pecked her on the cheek before getting back to the dishes.

I trudged upstairs and laid down on my bed, and checked my phone.

How was cheerleading? Miss u so much babe. See u tomoz,” was from Stephan. I texted back with pretty much the same sentiments.

Next was a missed call from Mel. I called her back and we gossiped, chatted and laughed until I fell asleep with my phone in my hands.

Something hard whacked my head. I jerked awake and found an agitated Luke standing beside me.

“Ouch! What’s your problem?” I said grumpily, “You can put the pillow down now, I’m awake. What do you want?”

“Have you seen my car keys? I can’t find them anywhere,” he said, rubbing his eyes.

I shot him a glare. “You woke me up for that? No, I haven’t seen them anywhere, most likely because I’ve been asleep for the past 8 hours?” I replied before covering my face with a pillow.

I heard him mumble under his breath, probably cursing at me, before moving out of my room. I groaned, realising I had forgotten to take my make-up off from the day before. I crawled out of bed and into the shower.

Soon, I was out of the house looking like I was ready for a photo shoot and I slid into my car happily. I pouted in my car mirror, and started up the engine. I giggled to myself as I pulled out of the driveway. Stepping on the accelerator, I sped down my street in the direction of my school. I turned the radio up high as I sang along to ‘Moves Like Jagger’.

 “Shit,” I murmured as I glanced at the time and realised I was running late. I pressed down on the accelerator harder and was soon driving behind a large truck. I checked my reflection, hoping the wind hadn’t messed up my neat curls, when I heard a loud squeal. I looked up quickly, realizing a minute too late that the truck in front of me had suddenly stopped. I stamped down on my brake but I had been driving too fast and my momentum brought me forward towards the truck. I shut my eyes as I was jolted forward in a violent motion and I heard the sickening crunch of metal along with something in my own body.

The music that was blaring out of my speakers was the last thing I heard, before the world went black.

Please please please comment! :)

Continue Reading