Darkness Changes... (BBC Sher...

By Half-Blood_Holmes

Sequel to- Darkness Follows... (BBC Sherlock Fanfiction) Darcy Byrne, surprisingly intelligent and somewhat... More

Darkness Follows...
Prologue
Chapter 1- So, This Place Is Nice.
Chapter 3- So, I'm Actually A Real Spy?
Chapter 4- One Wrong Move...
Chapter 5- At Least I'm Not Losing My Mind. Yet.
Author's Note- Sorry!!
Chapter 6- Looks Like I've Finally Changed...
Chapter 7- Getting Ready Takes All Day.
Chapter 8- Taking 'Making Connections' To A Whole New Level.
Chapter 9- One Of His- What?
Chapter 10- Carrot On A Stick.
Chapter 11- I Didn't Think The FBI Were Part Of The Fire Brigade...?
Chapter 12- Keeping Them Away and Finally, A Phone.
Chapter 13- Dusty, Old Baker Street.
Chapter 14- Not That Much Of A Surprise Though, Is It?
Chapter 15- Taken 2: British Government Special.
Chapter 16- Truth Hurts, Doesn't It?
Chapter 17- Sorry, I've Been Too Social Already Today.
Chapter 18- Hello Darkness My Old Friend...
Chapter 19- A Sociopath Being Less... Sociopathy?
Chapter 20- Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It... Oh.
Chapter 21- Merry New Years... Have Some Duct Tape!
Chapter 22- Pushing People Out Of Windows... Again.
Chapter 23- The Name's Jet. Jumbo Jet.
Chapter 24- And I Thought Snakes On A Plane Were Bad.
Chapter 25- Like A Spit Roast But More Bloody.
Chapter 26- Are You The Devil? Actually, No, I'm Not.
Chapter 27- Flirting Gets You Nowhere.
Chapter 28- I'm Not Your Secretary, I'm Your Personal Assistant.
Chapter 29- Wow, So Henry Is, Um, Rich?
Chapter 30- First Ever Sleepover... Not Exactly How I Imagined It'd Go.
Chapter 31- Get Off My Sheet!
Chapter 32- Human Guinea-Pig Named John.
Chapter 33- Oh, It's Him Again.
Chapter 34- Dismembered... Is That The Right Word, Dismembered?
Chapter 35- Sherlock's Looking A Bit... Off?
Chapter 36- Seems To Have Gone To A Lot Of Effort...
Chapter 37- Am I Invisible Or Something?!
Chapter 38- Can Amateur And Expert Be Used In The Same Sentence?
Chapter 39- Are Trials Always This Boring Or Is It Just Me?
Chapter 40- Waste Of A Good Apple, In My Opinion.
Chapter 41- Dancing With The Devil... And A Crowbar.
Chapter 42- Anderson: The No.1 Idiot Impersonator.
Another Author's Note...
Chapter 43- Hansel And Gretel Don't Die In The Fairytale.
Chapter 44- Finally Got What She Deserved.
A/N...Sorry
Chapter 45- It's Moriarty But Not As We Know Him.
Chapter 46- Wild Goose Chase Of Sorts.
Chapter 47- The Worst of Times.
Chapter 48- So Many Voicemails.
A/N- That Was It!
A/N- New Book Is Out!

Chapter 2- Settling In With My Captor... Fun.

1.6K 54 2
By Half-Blood_Holmes

A/N- Picture attached includes Darcy's dress and shoes she wears later on in this chapter... finally got this up and wanted to make sure it was right, enjoy ;)

~~~~

Darcy's POV

I glared over at this woman and argued, "Home?" My eyes wandered over the lavish house and I thought about how there was no way I could possibly live in a place as nice as this.

"Yes." Miss Adler answered simply and when I shot her a look of disbelief she added, "You're going to be staying here for a while."

Really? Here. In this mansion of a house?

I frowned at her and crossed my arms, "Why?"

"Jim wants to keep you safe." She said sweetly.

"But why here? Why not back at the orphanage? I was safe there." I continued to argue and my voice raised a little.

I could swear I heard her giggle slightly and she shook her head, "And let anyone be able to get their hands on you? I don't think so."

"So, this is Moriarty's way of keeping me under his control and yet make sure I'm not in his way." I nodded and clenched my jaw, then muttered, "Clever..."

"It is. Now, shall I show you to your room?" She suggested and I couldn't help but question how nice she was being, if she was working with a consulting criminal then that would make her a criminal too, right? Her being nice and polite to me was one of the last things I expected.

So, that's why I immediately discredited the idea that she was being actually nice and just faking it to lull me into a false sense of security.

"Follow me." She ordered, although rather softly, and sauntered past me towards the stairs, "As you are to be living under my roof, you must abide by some rules."

I rolled my eyes from behind her and she glared at me as she caught me when she stopped at the bottom step, "Sorry." I half-smiled and put my hands in my pockets.

"We'll make that rule number one." She said rather harshly and went to ascend the stairs, "Rule number two, you will have free reign between your bedroom, the kitchen, bathroom and the living room only."

I made sure to walk slightly behind her and take in her body language as she walked, she swung her hips confidently and yet her fingers tapped anxiously against thigh.

"So, I get my own room?" I asked sceptically.

She nodded and smirked slightly, "Of course, I couldn't very well let you sleep on the couch, could I?"

My thoughts were drawn immediately to Baker Street and I subconsciously cricked my neck as she continued with her rules, "You must wear only the clothes I provide for you."

Looking at Miss Adler and the attire she was wearing, I could only assume that that would mean a lot of dresses for me.

"There will be no contact of any sort with anyone outside of this house, unless I say so." She just kept adding rules and I suddenly felt trapped, and that this would be way worse than being in the orphanage. Way worse.

We reached a landing with about four doors or so, many more than I had anticipated with what should be a usual town house layout, and there was still another floor. I tried to look up the stairs to the third floor and was stopped by Miss Adler clearing her throat.

"Up there is off limits indefinitely." She warned as I turned back to her and then nodded, she pointed to a door just at the top of the stairs, "Here is where you will attend elocution lessons with me every morning, unless I say otherwise."

My eyes widened, "Elocution lessons?" I scoffed.

Miss Adler just ignored me and walked down the corridor, "You will follow my direct instructions at all times, unless I am not here, then Kate will be your superior." She stopped at a door further down the landing on the right but there was still one opposite and at the end of the corridor, yet to be pointed out to me.

"Hold on, Miss Adler." I said sternly, "What exactly is going on here?"

Her face contorted into a wicked smirk, "You're going to be my project. That's my payment from Jim for letting him keep you here."

"Oh." I said softly and let it all sink in, "I understand, essentially this is still a kidnapping."

"Very much so." She confirmed, that smile still planted on her face, "Any questions?"

I bit my lip thoughtfully and then asked, "Yeah, what was the first rule again?"

"Never apologise." She answered sternly, "Apologies are nothing more than a show of your weakness."

I looked at her, scared, "Right. I'll be sure to remember that one, then."

"I'll leave you to get some sleep." Her nice smile returned and she took a step to leave before stopping herself in remembrance, "Oh, the room opposite is Kate's, but she's hardly ever in there, and the room at the end is the bathroom. You are obviously allowed, for the time being, to use it as you see fit."

Smiling in return, I nodded, "Yes, thank you."

"There should be some nightwear on your bed, breakfast is at eight-thirty sharp and I'll have Kate leave you some clothes outside the door." She added, walking away but slightly sideways and speaking over her shoulder, "You'll do well to attend breakfast on time or risk having nothing at all."

I nodded again, although she couldn't see me, "Of course." Then it suddenly occurred to me, "Who are you? It's just I don't really know your name, fully anyway."

"Adler. Irene Adler. Is that enough to be getting on with?" She answered, turning on the spot to face me from near the top of the stairs.

"I should think so?" I said in a questioning manner, as if doubtful of my own answer for once in my life.

Irene's hand rested delicately on the banister to the stairs, yet her expression grew dark suddenly and unexpectedly she threatened, "Break any of these rules, Darcy dear, and I can assure you, you will be punished. Severely. Do you understand?"

I nodded and she sauntered away, I blinked rapidly in somewhat shock and put a hand on the door handle. I waited like that until she left and then opened the door to my new bedroom, my eyes widened at the gloriousness of it.

The walls were papered in black and grey swirled paper, there was a huge wooden double bed up against the wall in the centre with pure white sheets and what looked like the comfiest pillows in the world.

As I shut the door behind me, my eyes were drawn to the huge white, wooden wardrobe and the traditional looking dressing table.

This was far too beautiful for me.

But at this moment I didn't care and just flopped down onto the bed, then twisted around so I could bury my head in a pillow. Realisation hitting me, I scrambled to take my boots off and threw them lazily on the floor. I didn't even bother changing into the apparent pyjamas that were left and I couldn't even see them anyway.

With one lasting thought at how uncomfortable the sofa was at Baker Street compared to here, I finally and completely fell into a deep sleep.

------------

I didn't want to get up. It was just too comfy and soft laid here.

But I was also starving and missing breakfast would probably have been the worst possible thing for me.

With all the strength I could muster I sat up on the edge of the bed and yawned before stumbling over to the door. Opening it, I found a folded up piece of clothing and some heeled shoes next to it.

I just snatched them up and padded back over to the bed, weighing up my options. Get changed and keep on Irene's good side or don't and risk pissing her off from the start. As much as I would have loved to annoy her at this point, I didn't think severe punishment was the way to go because of it.

So, I unfolded the clothing to find to my utmost surprise, not, a dress. Brilliant.

It was beige in colour with three-quarter length sleeves and black bands at the bottom of the sleeves, dress and across the middle. The front was nicely pleated and I think that was my only favourite thing about it really.

I quickly undressed and found some underwear had fallen from where the dress had been folded, and so changed into those and then slipped the dress over my head. Realising my legs needed some attending to, I checked the time on a clock beside my bed to find it was eight o'clock on the dot.

"I've got time. " I muttered to myself and removed the dress, opening the door to my room and checking to see if the coast was clear before going to the door at the end of the corridor to the bathroom.

It was just as modern as the kitchen and yet an air of elegance about it, a stand alone bath with brass feet, all white and pristine once more. I searched around in a draw beneath the sink and found a ladies razor, victory!

I went to the shower in the corner of the room and that in itself was a luxury, not having to stand in the bath to have a shower. The water was so hot, hotter than at Baker Street and I started to wonder why I even wanted to go back at all.

Giving my legs a careful shave so as to not cut myself, I left and found a towel that I wrapped around myself. Taking the razor and my underwear, I'd left on the floor, I went back to my room to dry and change properly.

Once dry, I changed and stared down at the simple black heels I was expected to wear. I was going to break my neck. Nevertheless, it was getting close to breakfast and so I brushed my hair as best as my stubborn curls would allow me before slipping a foot into each of the heels.

I wobbled as I put my own clothes on the bed and then wobbled even more as I tried to walk to the door, once on the landing I stabilised slightly and managed to walk without as much wobbling. It was when I reached the stairs that I panicked, so I took them one at a time and sideways for extra safety.

It took much longer than it would have if I'd walked normally but I'd rather that than dead at the bottom of the stairs. My heels clattered across the wooden floor as I made my way to the kitchen, the open door just seemed to get further and further away.

Nervously, I entered and wasn't sure what I'd expect to see, two people having breakfast I guess.

"Darcy, you look lovely." Irene said from somewhere in the room and I cast my glance to the right to see her and Kate sat at the dining table at the back of the room with an extravagant breakfast in front of them, "Come, sit."

So I did, Irene was at the head of the table with Kate and myself either side of her. "How did you sleep?" She asked.

"Good, thank you." I answered and grabbed the pot of tea, pouring some into my cup. Not a mug, a cup, a dainty teacup. Adding milk and stirring, I brought the cup to my lips and savoured the taste.

"Help yourself." Irene told me and I looked over the array of food in front of me, it all looked so delicious that I didn't know what to have.

Deciding to keep it simple I went for toast, some butter and a bit of jam, lovely. Two slices, uncut, I didn't have time for that.

I heard Irene sigh and I looked up from my plate as she said, "We're going to have to do something about that hair."

"What's wrong with my hair?" I exclaimed, mouth still slightly full of food.

She groaned lightly, almost in a ladylike manner, "You look like you've been dragged through a bush backwards and I'm being nice at that. Perhaps we'll straighten it."

My jaw clenched, nobody came near my head with hot implements, especially hair straighteners. I glared at her and aggressively took another bit of my toast.

"Don't look at me like that, dear." Irene warned and I put my half-eaten toast on my plate, suddenly losing my appetite and picked up a napkin, which caused her to speak up again, "And next time cut your toast in half, much more delicate that way."

That's it. I forcefully stood and my chair scraped from the table, "I've had it already with you! Look, you can dress me up however you like to make me look like a lady, but there is no way in hell that I'm changing who I am for anybody!" I wiped my mouth with the napkin, that was still in my hand, and threw it back down on the table.

I tried to march to the door but was only slowed by my lack of ability to walk in heels and took to a slow purposeful walk instead. However, I stopped when Irene chuckled lightly yet sinisterly, "You've got spunk, that's good, we can use that."

"Use it?" I asked, voice raised and expression stern as I span round sharply albeit shakily.

Irene stood angrily and sauntered towards me, I looked her over with my jaw clenched and she stopped just in front of me. Her hand reached up and she brushed one of my curls from my face, then sighed as she dropped her arm and walked on past me, "Upstairs. Now. It's time for your first lesson."

Kate just smirked up at me with her hands clasped under her chin, "You'd better go then."

I glared at her and found my footing as I span around to march after Irene, who was on her way up the stairs. I watched her sceptically and glanced over at the front door longingly, "I must be out of my mind." I said under my breath and wandered over to the bottom of the stairs.

The door at the top was left open and I gulped before putting a foot on the bottom step. "Believe it or not, I do not have all day." Irene shouted, although not angrily, down the stairs.

Well, I guess this was just the beginning.

~~~~

Not edited yet... I love where this is going to go so I'm already thinking of awesome ideas to put in... so excited!

Thanks very muchly for reading and supporting...

Please continue to vote and comment ;)

-HBH xxx

Disclaimer- I don't own any of the characters, except Darcy, or any lines from the show. Those rights belong the BBC and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 5.3K 34
If your mother had been killed, where would you go? If you received a strange text, would you trust it? If you'd never met your father, would you w...
2.2K 101 10
Two years after Sherlock Holmes 'death,' John Watson and Anita O'Malley have moved on. But when London is threatened by a terrorist attack, Sherlock...
309 13 10
John Watson wrestles with a shocking tragedy. Anita Holmes is off the grid- pushing her way through her grief by herself. Meanwhile, Sherlock Holmes...
2.7K 291 26
#1 in ynstories (17/07/2022) You are the best assassin in history, the most ruthless, the most efficient of them all. The day you were sent to kill S...