Hetalia: The Fifty Stars

By LunarJade

Massachusetts rebels against British tyranny. Mississippi goes hunting with the president. Michigan refuses t... More

Author's Note
Table of Contents
Prologue: The Meeting
Chapter 1: The First Signature
Chapter 2: Inventors of Unity
Chapter 3: The Jersey Devil
Chapter 4: The First Day of Summer
Chapter 5: Turning the Tides
Side Chapter 1: Relationships
Chapter 6: Blood and Tea
Chapter 7: The Plundering Time
Chapter 8: Rebellious South
Chapter 9: Treaty of Portsmouth
Chapter 10: The Witch of Pungo
Side Chapter 2: Human Ages
Chapter 11: The Workaholic of Wall Street
Chapter 12: The Carolina Twins
Chapter 13: Vampire
Chapter 14: The Fourteenth Star
Chapter 15: The Night Riders
Side Chapter 3: Native America
Chapter 16: Crockett
Chapter 17: Ohio Burgee
Chapter 18: Purchased and Sold
Chapter 19: On Your Mark... Get Set... Go!
Chapter 20: Teddy Bear
Side Chapter 4: Mexico
Chapter 21: Red Roses and Blue Violets
Chapter 22: A Southern Nation
Chapter 23: My Own
Chapter 24: Compromise
Chapter 25: For Namesake
Side Chapter 5: Puerto Rico and the Territories
Chapter 26: The Toledo War
Chapter 27: Always Sunny in Florida
Chapter 28: Before the Alamo
Chapter 29: Chaos Caucus
Chapter 30: Cheesehead
Side Chapter 6: Canada's Provinces & Territories and Mexico's States
Chapter 31: Golden Girl
Chapter 32: Lutefisk - An Exotic Delicacy
Chapter 33: The Oregon Trail
Chapter 34: First Blood
Chapter 35: Mother's Day
Side Chapter 7: How to Create an OC
Chapter 36: The Flamingo
Chapter 37: Arbor Day
Chapter 38: The Bone Wars
Chapter 39: The Dakota Twins
Chapter 40: Iktomi and the Ignorant Girl
Side Chapter 8: State Pets
Chapter 41: A War Story
Chapter 42: #Merry-Christmas-Starbucks
Chapter 43: The Pinkerton Spy
Chapter 44: The Wildest of the Bunch
Chapter 45: The 2002 Winter Olympics
Side Chapter 9: The Limitations to Writing
Chapter 46: The Sooner The Better
Chapter 47: Unidentified Flying Object
Chapter 48: The Cactus Law
Chapter 49: Toward A New Future
Chapter 51: After the Meeting
Requests for the Sequel (CLOSED)
Side Chapter 10: Future State Chapters
Epilogue: The End of a Day

Chapter 50: The End of A Kingdom

362 9 0
By LunarJade

Hawaii. The 50th state is the most recent state to join the Union, having joined in 1959. Like Alaska, her home is outside the mainland states. However, her home is located outside the North American continent, located miles away in the Pacific Ocean where she lives on a series of small, tropical islands in Oceania. Long before she was a state or even a territory, Hawaii had a history and a culture that went untouched for a long time.

After migrating for many miles along the Pacific islands, the first humans have finally reached a set of untouched islands in 800 C.E. Upon their arrival, Hawaii was born. However, this wasn't the Hawaii of the present. This was a different Hawaii, one who had lived for over a thousand years before present-day Hawaii's appearance. The personification who formerly represented the islands was known as Ancient Hawaii, a woman whom Hawaii had looked up to since the Kingdom of Hawaii's foundation.

For a long time, both Ancient Hawaii and Modern Hawaii had lived on the islands in peace. They were content with their lives, wanting nothing more than peace and each other by their side. Nothing could prepare them for the late 19th century. A monster called Imperialism started to grow hungry for vulnerable countries. It was thanks to this monster Modern Hawaii became a part of the United States, but at a cost...

☆☆☆☆☆

She knew it would happen.

And yet, she didn't say anything.

I felt cheated on. Left in the dark for many days until the light finally revealed itself, only to burn me with guilt and embarrassment. The paradise of my home I had always loved and controlled, the tides of power came and swept my tiny body into its overwhelming influence, washing away my past self, drowning me, pulling me into the depths of darkness, suffocating me until I accept my fate and become one with it. As I sank deeper into the murky abyss, I recalled her last words to me.

"Lani. Be a good girl when I'm gone. Be a strong girl our people will look up to." 

I remembered her like it was a misty dream. She and I slept in the same bed. I would curl up against her chest as she gently stroked my hair with her soft fingertips. She placed a peck on my forehead as though it were a blessing. Her warmth, I remembered it disappearing. Yet, I was too tired to open my eyes right there and then. By the time I woke up from my slumber, the daylight blinded my eyes for a second before I noticed something weird about that day.

I didn't understand it at first. We had lived together for so long, I never thought about our existence. Why we were different among our neighbors, or why they come to cherish us. All that mattered was living in peace, living a blissful life in our little, island home. With her beside me, I believed nothing bad would happen. That if I did good things, nothing back would happen to us, or anybody for that matter.

Yet one day, she disappeared.

Gone from the hut. Gone from the village. Gone from the island. Gone from this world...

I originally thought she went for a morning swim. Or, she was out getting us some breakfast. I waited for her return at the hut.

I stroked Hoku's (Hawaii's Poi Dog) smooth, white fur, rubbing his round, pink, spotted belly as he lazily lay beside me on the orange, woven rug. He kept me company, keeping me busy until she got back. I softly smiled, recalling the day my sister brought Hoku home. I loved how he wobbled on his small legs, trying to move around with such a pudgy body. Despite the messes he always made, I always found him cute. Like a baby perhaps. And like any mother who loved their baby boy, I was really protective of him.

So, it came as a surprise when I saw my sister holding a butcher knife, trying to catch and bound Hoku like a plump hog. I was really upset with my sister, calling her mean things, and telling her I won't forgive her if she killed Hoku. I remembered crying a lot that day. It was really scary because I never yelled at my sister before. She tried to convince me killing Hoku was reasonable. She only brought him home for us to eat which shook me to the core.

"Our neighbors eat dog, too," she said. "Meat is scarce. It's really good once you tried it."

Of course, I was too attached to Hoku to even listen.

"Nooooooooooo! I won't let you!" I cried as I hugged Hoku tightly.

Since that day, my sister never ate dog meat ever again while I refused to eat dog meat at all. As for Hoku, he had been a part of the family ever since. There were times my sister wanted to kick Hoku out of the house for soiling another rug, but she seemed to like Hoku the more time had passed. Now that I think about it, I was really glad she didn't kill Hoku. She probably had to work really hard to buy Hoku for us to eat. For that, I should be really fortunate to have such a kind and understanding sister as her.

I snapped out of my thoughts, and looked up at the window to see the sky had already turned orange. She had yet to return. Hours had went by, and she was nowhere in sight. I was able to snack on the fruit we had in the hut. I wasn't too hungry despite being starved for hours. Even Hoku wasn't in the mood to eat, having left his bowl of taro paste untouched. It would seem the two of us had our minds elsewhere.

I kept waiting for my sister, hoping she would turn up late. This wasn't the first time she was gone for this long. Such instances were because she had to work a long time. In fact, there were times she was gone from the hut for many months because she had to go to places far away from the island. If so, she would've told me. Left me a note or ask the neighbors to take care of me while she's gone. Yet, there was no note anywhere. Nor did the neighbors knocked at our door, and check up on me. I was left alone with no one, but Hoku by my side.

I started to worry. Something happened. That I knew. What I didn't know was what happened exactly.

The next morning, after a restless night, I went outside with Hoku to see if any of the locals knew where my sister was. Everyone knew me and my sister. We had lived on the island for so long, the locals basically knew us like family. They would surely recognize her, right? They would surely recognize a beautiful woman who looked like me, but taller, older, and stronger.

Sadly, the people I asked gave me unsure looks like they didn't know what I was talking about. All of them gave me the same disappointing answer. And I was disappointed every time I was forced to move on. Their faces were full of sadness for some reason. I thought they were pitying me. And, maybe they were. But, not for the reasons I thought they were. It was for something else. Something that happened I wasn't aware of. And...I felt...hūpō (stupid) for not realizing it.

I kept looking for her, determined to find her. I kept telling myself she was somewhere. The beach, the jungle, somewhere among the islands. I would stay up late at night, hoping to catch her opening the door and say, "Aloha, Lani. I'm home now. Sorry to keep you waiting." She would then smile as I rushed toward her, crying a rainstorm as she hushed me like a warm, summer breeze. We would then go to bed, share our warmth, snuggle into our chests, our hearts together once again.

I kept waiting.

I kept waiting.

Days went by, and I kept waiting.

I kept waiting.

I kept...waiting...

She must've been gone from the island because over a year had passed before I realized it, and she still had yet to come back to the hut. I assumed she forgot to write a note. Or, she forgot to tell the neighbors. I didn't want it to be true. I didn't want to believe she was nowhere to be found. I would've kept waiting for her, yet I couldn't no longer for the harsh truth of reality finally showed itself, hitting me like a humongous wave against a jagged cliff.

I was no longer a kingdom. I was now...a republic...

They were looking for me. The American men in suits. They forced me to come with them to the palace. I thought they were taking me upon the Queen's request. So, it came as a shock to see a White man with a beard as large as the snow caps on the mountains sitting behind the desk where the Queen would usually sit. I faintly recognized him, recalling his services as a lawyer working in the government. His name was Sanford B. Dole. He sat where the Queen should've been sitting.

"What's going on here? Where's Queen Liliʻuokalani?" I scanned the room, finding no sign of the Queen anywhere.

"Queen Liliʻuokalani has abdicated her right to rule," he spoke with an icy sting to his voice. "She refused to accept the Bayonet Constitution, therefore, upon the threat of democracy, we were forced to take the reigns of power away from her."

At first, I didn't know what to make of the news. Queen Lili'uokalani was still popular among the people. There was no reason for her to abdicate her throne, especially over a constitution she and the people disapproved for being unfair toward them against the Americans.

"Where is she? I demand to see my boss!" I yelled.

"She's currently staying in her private home," he answered. "However, she's no longer your boss. I am."

I gaped in shock. "What?"

"You are no longer a kingdom. You are now a republic. Therefore, you'll only follow my orders as I'm your president, your boss from now on."

I shook my head in disbelief. I didn't know what else to say other than to run out the building with tears in my eyes. The first person I went to for comfort was the Queen herself. I managed to avoid the American men in suits, entering the private Washington Place of Her Majesty. She sat in a quaint, Victorian style room, sitting in a chair as she drank from a Victorian teacup. She kindly greeted me with open arms.

"My Queen. Why did you abdicate your throne?" I questioned, trying so hard as to not shout at her.

She scowled. "Abdicate? I was forced out," she huffed.

I could tell she wanted to curse, but she held her tongue from making complaints.

"Forced out?" I muttered confused. "Who forced you out?"

"The Committee of Safety," she sighed, looking rather defeated. "It happened a year ago. There was a coup, and there were too many of them. The U.S. marines were armed, and my people... I didn't want anyone getting hurt because of me..." She refused to speak anymore.

However, it was enough to make me understand the situation.

"She's gone," I mumbled. "I tried looking for her everywhere around the islands. Do you know where she is?"

Her face darkened. "She and I went to Washington to try and reclaim my right to rule. After they refused to reinstate my claim, I came back home...without her..."

"... She's still over there, right? She's coming back...right...?"

"..."

"... My Queen?" I whimpered.

She got up to embrace me tightly. "I'm sorry, dear. I should've tried harder. You don't deserve this," she uttered as I wept into her chest.

N-No! No! I refused to accept this! She was still out there. She'll come back. This was her home. And I was her sister. There was no way she was gone. There was no way she would disappear like that. Not like this...

I needed her back. I needed her to come home. I needed to find a way to see her again. I needed to fix this. I needed to take the islands back. And maybe, she would come back. She will come back! She must!

I still saw Queen Liliʻuokalani as the rightful ruler of the islands. She and I and other royalists were determined to get our home back from the foreigners who wronged us. We planned a counter-revolution. Mr. Wilcox was in charge of the whole operation. He helped sneaked in ammunition into the capital, hiding it until it was time. Determined to see my sister again, I helped my Queen prepare for a new government once we succeeded on throwing the invaders out. I was so hopeful to get my home back, so hopeful on seeing my sister again, I didn't think about the chances of our success. If I had, our failure wouldn't come as big as a shock.

Our plans were quickly foiled by the police. They stormed the Washington Place, and found the weapons and our plans. My Queen and some of the revolutionaries were arrested. The only reason they spared me was because I was a child. Instead, I was watched over by guards, forcing me to stay put in the hut, unable to see the trial of my Queen.

From what I heard, my Queen's punishment was rather light from the initial punishment of five years under hard labor and a hefty fine of $10,000. She was a pampered prisoner at the 'Iolani Palace, watched over and cared for during her eight months there. Afterward, she was allowed to head back to the Washington Place under house arrest by Sanford B. Dole. It took some convincing, but I was finally allowed to see my Queen once more. After which, I promised to accept...President Dole as my boss, and to never be disloyal to him.

It was...heartbreaking.

"Treason to your own people," I bitterly scoffed.

My Queen held my hand as we sat together on the same sofa. "Don't be upset."

"I'm not upset," I sniffled. "I'm... I'm just disappointed..."

"Lani..."

"She's coming back!" I wiped my eyes. "She's going to come back. I know she will..."

After my talk with my Queen, I searched the islands once again. I still believed she was around. Somewhere on the island, I still believed she was here. If I tried harder, maybe I'll find her. I tried with all my might. I tried... I really tried...

My Queen. She also tried. A year later, she was allowed to travel back to the American capital to see her relatives. She took the opportunity to lobby against my annexation... My annexation into the United States of America...

As soon as I got home after a long day, I noticed something was off. The first thing I noticed was the lack of barking. The second thing I noticed was a letter stuck in-between the cracks of the doorway. I didn't bother to read the letter at first. I was busy looking for Hoku who I swore was locked up in the house. I called out for him. I searched everywhere within the small hut. After hours of searching around the hut, I went to the nearby neighbors, asking them if they saw a pudgy, white dog roaming around the area. They all shook their heads.

Having already lost a loved one, I wasn't ready to see another disappear on me like that. I still held some hope of Hoku being somewhere on the island, possibly having lost his way, and is now curled up under the swaying palms. Even so, it was hard to cope without my fat puppy by my side. Nor is it going to be easier for me to look for him and her from tomorrow onward. 

Dawn to dusk, I kept looking for both my sister and Hoku. I traversed the islands once again. I searched every spot I could think of, going so far as to traverse a volcano. Sometimes, I would take a raft and swim out a good distance, trying to spot any abandoned boat that may contain my sister or even Hoku whom I doubt would want to be anywhere near the ocean. The neighbors kept telling me to give up. I kept ignoring them, insisting they watch the hut to see if either my sister or Hoku came back. I kept looking. I kept looking. I kept looking for a long time.

Until finally, I couldn't move my feet.

My feet were red and swollen after walking around the island for so long without much rest. One day, I got out of bed. I ended up falling on my knees, unable to properly get up. I crawled with all my might, attempting to stand up on my own. But it was no use. I kept falling in pain, barely able to stand properly. I ended up crawling into a ball, crying to myself, upset I couldn't look for either one of my loved ones on that day. Nor was I able to look for them tomorrow. Or, the day after that. All I could do was stay in the hut, sitting up against the wall, unable to stop my tormented cries from calling out for my sister or my dog.

"Sis... Where are you?" I hiccuped. "Hoku. Please come back home. I really need you right now..."

Somewhere in the moment of sadness, I looked up at the table. I saw the letter I found earlier, sitting on the table, left untouched. Wiping my tears away, I crawled toward the table, and reached for the letter. With the envelope in my hands, I opened it, and pulled out a letter.

Miss Kealoha,

You've been invited to the 'Iolani Palace as a special guest for the ceremony celebrating your transition into the United States of America as a territory. Please be ready when I come to your home, and escort you to the palace.

~ President Dole

I wasn't able to understand most of these English words. But I did recognize a familiar word in this short letter. Somewhere in the ocean of memories, I started to remember pieces of the puzzle to my sister's disappearance. The first piece traced its way back to the beginnings of the kingdom.

Since the day I was born, my sister oversaw the arrival of many foreigners from across the world. Great Britain and the British, Japan and the Japanese, China and the Chinese, among the foreigners she saw, she hated America and the Americans the most. All such folk who came to the islands wanted to live here, use our shores as ports, establish missionaries, and create plantations. Their demands and needs kept growing.

What distinguished the Americans from the rest of the foreigners was how ambitious and ignorant they were. They didn't care or understand our culture, nor did they respect it. As a result, the natives didn't care for them either. In response, they would always regard our people as uncivilized and rude, treating us as though we were the foreigners of the islands. They especially annoyed my sister for they always complained on being misrepresented, wanting more say in our kingdom despite having lived here for as long as a prawn.

She hated them to the core. She hated their pride, their greed, their selfishness, she couldn't stand their presence. Their ego, she said, was like a fungus, infecting the island with a negative influence, sucking away its nutrients for its selfish need to survive. Sometimes after work, she would rant how much she wanted to see them leave. If granted the power, she would throw every single man into Kīlauea, and watch them burn, no longer living on the island no more. She would always say this with the fire of Pele in her dark brown eyes.

Of course, she couldn't toss them into a volcano, or force them to leave. She was wary of the other countries' reactions if she were to upset their people, especially America himself. Reluctantly, she was forced to appease the foreigners' demands, allowing them to do business on the island, and participate in government affairs.

There were nights I saw her pray at night. She would always mutter to herself, confessing her apologies to the gods and the spirits of the island, asking for their guidance on what to do. I thought she was overreacting. I didn't think the Americans weren't necessarily problematic. They may be weird and rude at times, but I didn't really saw them as threatening.

All I knew was being scared for her. Her paranoia kept getting worse. She wasn't being her usual cheery self. And yet, I didn't consider the Americans to be the cause. I assumed she was working too much, or she didn't get enough sleep. I was so oblivious to her suffering, I didn't realize just how bad the government had gotten.

When the coup happened, the land was no longer hers to control. Instead, someone else controlled the islands. That someone is the country whom most of these foreigners were from: America.

My home wasn't mine anymore. It was...America's. It was his fault. Everything was his fault...

~

On the twelfth day of August, I was forced to attend the ceremony where I'll transfer my sovereignty to...America...

As one may tell, I wasn't looking forward to it.

I would rather stay in the hut, and not show myself, especially to a stranger, the same person whom was the reason for everything that had happened. Even my people refused to show up at the ceremony. Everyone, but the foreigners were against annexation. I didn't want to go, but I was forced to. Mr. Dole, the backstabbing traitor who I refused to call my boss, reminded me of our promise as he waited with two military officers in front of the hut. Reluctantly, I was forced to obey him, thus I had to go to that stupid ceremony.

He went ahead, and brought me a dress. It was one of those Victorian-style dresses, black and white like a formal suit with frills and bows all over the place. I wanted to wear something more comfortable, but Mr. Dole wouldn't let me. I was forced to wear a heavy, restricted, long-sleeved dress in the late August summer. I could barely walk straight in the heels that went with the stupidly oversize dress. I kept kicking them off, forcing Mr. Dole's guards to fetch them back like large, awkward mutts. At one point while walking uphill, I thought on pretending to trip, and act like I had a sprained ankle. I should've done that, but it was too late.

Everyone, by everyone I mean the European-Americans, gathered in front of the ʻIolani Palace. Both men and women were wearing black and white formal attire, causing them to sweat heavily in the sweltering heat which made me a bit happy on the inside. As Mr. Dole and I made our way toward a platform, I recognized a few faces among the crowd. Honestly, every American looked the same. However, I was able to recognize a few faces. The ones I saw were originally a part of the Committee of Safety, the very people who allowed the coup to happen.

I gritted my teeth. I would've charged at them, called every one of them a traitor. Mr. Dole must've noticed my reaction for he immediately grabbed my wrist, and told me to behave myself.

I pouted. "I don't want to be here," I muttered in English.

"You can leave after the ceremony," he told me. "You'll meet and shake hands with our American guest. After that, you may go home so long as you don't make a ruckus."

I glared at him. There was more I wanted to say, but I didn't have the chance. He took my hand, and led me to the side of the stage. There was an empty chair for me to sit. He told me to wait there until I was called up on the platform. Once on stage, I would introduce myself to someone. We would then shake hands, thus closing the ceremony on the perfect union.

After repeating these steps to him, I was left alone while he walked away to greet more people like him before the ceremony would begin. As soon as he became swept up in crowd, I immediately kicked my heels off. I sent them flying, seeing the pair of shoes arch over the crowd before disappearing from my sight. I wanted to scream. I wanted to tell everyone in the crowd they were all monsters, backstabbing liars who ruined my home. They were the reason why...she's...

I bit my lip, trying hard not to cry and embarrass myself. The blood within my body continued to boil throughout the long, humid ceremony. I cupped my ears, sick of listening to the men who smiled and laughed to this momentous day in history, telling the crowd a bunch of satisfying lies of peace and prosperity for the island. It was especially painful to hear some of them mock and ridicule the monarchy, notably my Queen.

I immediately stood up from the chair. I was about to walk off when I heard Mr. Dole's voice.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have a special guest who would like to welcome our American guests," he said with confidence. "She's known as the heavenly flower child among the locals on the island, respected and cherished by even the former monarchy. She has come all this way to welcome her American guests, and see the transition toward a new chapter for the island. Please welcome Miss Kealoha." He gestured to the side of the platform.

Everyone in the crowd started clapping. No one had yet to get on stage. The crowd's claps grew quiet. I crossed my arms, watching Mr. Dole make a fool out of himself.

He awkwardly smiled. "My apologies. Miss Kealoha is a shy girl. She'll be up here in just a second."

He stomped across the platform, going down the steps to confront me. Without saying a word, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the stage. It was painful, and I wanted to scream for help.

"Don't struggle, and smile toward the crowd," he harshly whispered with a fake smile on his face.

I was already on stage, and everyone was looking at me. I felt naked standing alone among the adults. I wanted to scramble off, but Mr. Dole still held my wrist. In the end, a restrained smile was forced on my flushed face.

It would seem the crowd brought my act as they started clapping and smiling once again. Glancing to my left, I spotted two men on stage with us. One of them was older than the other. The young man had blond hair and blue eyes behind a pair of glasses. Both were in suits, sweating as heavily as the rest of the crowd. Immediately, I knew they weren't to be trusted. Especially the young American whom I knew was different among everyone else. He was like me and my sister. He... He must be the country known as America...

I clenched my fists. Mr. Dole gently pulled me toward the center of the stage. The other two men approached us. The older man stood in front of Mr. Dole while the younger man stood in front of me. It was hard not to curse at them both.

"From this day forth, the Republic of Hawaii will enter the United States as the Territory of Hawaii," Mr. Dole announced to the crowd before shaking the older gentleman's hand.

The young man proceeded to hold out his hand, anticipating a handshake from me. I stared at his hand for a moment, hesitant on even shaking the hand of the man who was responsible for everything that had happened. It was humiliating. My ears burned like volcanic craters, ready to erupt at any moment now. I bit my inner cheek, begrudgingly giving him my hand. He did most of the shaking while I turned my eyes away, ashamed with what I was doing. The crowd applauded to this supposed civil union, unaware what was going through my mind. For that, I despised them even more than before.

Hearing their cheers turn into awes, I noticed their eyes were looking up at the sky. I glanced up at the sky behind, horrified by a sight I didn't expect to see. My flag waved its eight white, red, and blue horizontal stripes in the sweltering breeze. I saw the flag slowly crawl down the metal pole. A moment later, it was replaced by another flag. Instead of a Union Jack at the upper left corner, it was a dark blue square with too many white stars to count from a distance. There were many more stripes on this flag, all of which only came in red and white. The flag slowly raised itself, crawling to the top of the pole until it finally reached the stop. It stared down on us, dominating the bright blue sky in all its menacing glory. Many Americans welcomed this new era.

I didn't however. I immediately pulled my hand away from the young American in disgust. The young man gave me a confused look before I turned away from him.

"Wait!" he called out.

I ignored him. I ran across the platform, and went into the crowd. I didn't hear Mr. Dole shouting for me to come back, therefore I assumed I was allowed to go back home, and do as I please. Yet, I didn't immediately go home.

Instead, I ran elsewhere. I tripped on my dress many times, falling a couple of times in the dirt, but I didn't stop. I kept sprinting down the roads of the villages, running as quickly as I can while the world became a blur to me. I kept running, heading down the muddy, dirt roads into the rainforest. The ground kept getting higher and harder to climb, but I pressed on despite the pain in my sore feet. I kept going, getting farther away from human civilization.

Until finally, I came to a stop.

I stood near the edge of a steep cliff by the ocean. I gazed across the horizon, seeing the island and the capital from a distance. The vast ocean blue nearly took away most of my vision. I peered down from the rocky ledge, watching giant waves pound against the sturdy rock, deafening my ears every time it whammed the cliff. It was a long drop from the top of the cliff, into the ocean where the depths go deeper beyond what I could see. Will there be dolphins down there? Will there be sharks greeting me if I were to go down there? I wonder what was down there...

I peered up from the ocean, gazing upon the horizon once more. A crisp breeze blew against my face, blowing back my long, frizzled, oily, black hair behind my ears, revealing more of my dirt-crusted, tanned face, removing wavy strands of hair away from my large, brown eyes.

The wind stroked my face, leaning toward my ears, whispering in a gentle voice, "Lani... Lani..."

It was familiar.

"Sister..." I whispered back. "Where are you?"

There was silence.

"LANI!"

I yelped in surprise. I turned around, and saw it was the young American I shook hands with earlier. He appeared out of breath, hunched over like he was in pain. His brown suit was already drenched in sweat, all wrinkled and saggy in various places. He combed through his disheveled, golden blond hair, trying to get the sweat off his brow as he gazed upon me with worry in his crystal blue eyes.

I glared. "Go away! You're not welcomed here!"

"No..." he breathed. "I'm not going to leave you by yourself... Nor am I letting you jump."

I gave him a quizzical look. "I wasn't going to jump."

His eyes grew wide. "You weren't?"

I shook my head. "I came here to shout at the ocean. Now leave me alone." I turned my face away, trying to ignore him.

"Shout at the ocean?"

I glanced over my shoulder. "It's my way of letting out my frustration. Now leave alone."

"I... I brought your shoes back."

I turned around, and indeed he had with him a pair of dress shoes made particularly for children.

"How-"

"I don't know what happened," he panted, "but a pair of shoes came flying at me out of nowhere. After seeing you, I noticed you weren't wearing any shoes. So... I assumed they're yours."

I crossed my arms. "I don't want them."

"Okay. I'll just leave them here." He placed them on the ground.

I turned around, and stood there for a moment, gazing at the ocean. I would've started yelling at that point, but I felt uncomfortable for some reason. Looking over my shoulder, I noticed the American had yet to disappear.

"Go away!" I yelled at him.

He cocked his head. "Can I watch?"

I scrunched my nose. "No."

"Why not?" he questioned with a smile on his face.

His casual smile annoyed me very much. Couldn't he tell there was pain in my heart? He had already taken away my home. What more does he want?

I clenched my fists, gritting my teeth. "Are you happy?"

He gave me a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"

"You... You..." I breathed heavily. "This is all your fault! If your people hadn't come here... You...a-and your greed! I... I hate you!" I pointed my finger at him.

He looked at me shock

I angrily shook my head. "I hate you! I hate you! Because of you and your stupid ego, she's... She suffered because of you! A-And now...she's... She's gone! Gone forever! And it's all because of you! I-It's your fault! And I hate you!" I screamed.

His eyes grew dark. "... I'm sorry..." was all he could say at first, his voice filed with pity and regret. "I didn't know-"

"Didn't know?! You knew her, yet you didn't know about the pain she went through!" I scoffed. "They were planning this whole time to overthrow my Queen! And you think sorry is going to fix all that?!"

He winced. "... I tried. I tried to help her..."

Tears blinked out of my eyes. "Then, you didn't try hard enough," I sniffled. "Do you have any idea how long I waited for her? Do you have any idea how much I suffered trying to find her? Do you even know how painful it was to lose someone dear to you?" I questioned.

He didn't respond.

I held my chest. "It hurts. It hurts knowing they can't come back," I whimpered.

My knees collapsed onto the dirt. I couldn't help, but bawl my eyes out in front of him, right then and there. I tried to wipe my tears away. I didn't want to look weak, especially in front of him. I couldn't believe how pathetic I was. After mustering the courage to yell at the man whom was responsible for my sister's disappearance, I ended up in a collapsing in front of him. I could barely look at him.

I wanted to say I hate him. I really do. There was so much I wanted to say. I wanted to tell him the things his people had done. I wanted to make him feel ashamed of his actions. I wanted him to share the same suffering I once and still felt. I wanted to say I really hate him.

Yet, I didn't hate him as much as I thought I would. After yelling at him for two minutes, all that was left was a hollow heart in my chest. And...it hurt. It hurt a lot. Like a part of me was missing...

My voice trembled. "S-She was nice. She was honest. She was strong. She was..." I hiccuped. "She was my friend, my sister, my mother, my guardian, my boss... She was my everything... And now... I lost everything... I miss her. I miss her so much..."

It all just came out. Like a heavy, storm cloud, the rain poured deeply out of my soul, dripping down onto the earth.

"Since I was born, she had taken the time to care for me. She worked before the sun could rise, and continued to work until the moon was over the land. She spent her time and earnings make sure I was happy. She protected me from hardships. She gave me a sense of peace, always staying beside me, no matter the situation. Without her... I don't know how I'm going to survive without her..."

Like a feeble lamb, I was without a shepherd, a guide who would not only lead me, but protect me against the dangers of the world. Without her, I was uncertain of my future. In my eruption of hate, I only proved how useless I was without her.

"I... I want to see her again!" I barked. "We never got the chance to say goodbye. Nor did I knew she was going to disappear. If I knew how much she suffered, I would've found some way to protect her. I would've found some way to make her stay. She wouldn't have to disappear. She could've still been with me, living by my side, laughing and smiling with me..." I could barely talk anymore.

I could barely even breathe. My throat was sore and dry after the constant crying, talking, and yelling. There was so much more I wanted say. Yet, my mind went blank. All I could think about were regrets. The pain of losing her. The remorse of not knowing the agony she suffered to keep me happy. She worked so hard on her own without anyone to help her. Yet, no one saved her. I felt useless knowing nothing could bring her back. In the end, I'm just a weak girl who could only scream and sob.

My feet was all cracked with dirt and sores. My dress was all ruined after constantly tripping on it. My wavy, black hair was all tangled up from the wind. I noticed my fingernails were long overdue for a trim. They were the color of an overripe banana. I probably smelled, too. I couldn't imagine how pathetic I must've look. I... I really am helpless...

"I..." I heard him speak.

I peered up, and saw the man close to tears. His fists were clenched tightly. I noticed he was biting his lip, trying not to cry like I did. I didn't know what he was going to say. I thought he was going to make another pointless apology again.

"... Your sister... She was a strong woman. Despite not being the most powerful country in the world, she was strong enough to make everyone respect her. And... I admire that..." he softly smiled through his quivering lips. "She thought of me as a spoiled kid. She always complained how selfish I was, how problematic my people were. She always said it in a sarcastic way, I thought she was poking fun at me. Nothing more than that..."

He frowned. "... I didn't know anything about the coup," he confessed. "By the time I found out, she was close to... I tried to get Congress to do something. I thought I could convince them. Many people were on my side, and I thought she was going to... You're right. I didn't try hard enough..."

He crouched down to my level, looking straight at me with heartfelt emotion. "If I could turn back time, I would've turned it to before the coup. I would've done something about it rather than become oblivious to the whole situation. Maybe then she would've still been here..." he mumbled.

"... Your sister... She told me a lot about you. I promised her I would take care of you," he solemnly said. "Leilani. That's your name, right?"

I hesitated to answer him.. "... Yeah. My name is Lani..." I shyly muttered.

"Lani. That's a pretty name." He softly smiled. "My name is Alfred F. Jones. You can call me Alfred."

"Al-fred..." I muttered his strange name, feeling it come a bit clunky off my tongue.

"Yeah. That's my name." He seemed amused. "... Do you still want to yell at the ocean?"

I looked at him confused for a second. Looking out at the ocean, the waves have calmed down a bit. The bright yellow sun had now started to sink below the horizon, turning the sky into a canvas of orange blossoms and pink hibiscus blooms. I didn't say another word. I simply shook my head.

"Do you want me to help carry you home?"

The pain in my feet swelled. I quietly nodded.

Alfred turned around while being crouched. "Hop on. Give me directions and I'll carry you home."

Reluctantly, I slowly got up on his back. I held him tightly as he stood up. He made sure I was holding onto him tightly before walking away from the cliff, leaving my tattered shoes behind. I didn't talk a whole lot during the journey down the road. I was too tired to say anything other than to give him directions to my hut.

"I know we got off to a rocky start," he muttered along the way. "I certainly don't deserve your forgiveness. But... I promised Hona I would make sure you're not alone. So... I'm going to try and make it up to you. It may sound pointless, but it's the least I could do..."

When we returned to my home, Alfred did all he could to care for me in the week he was given on the island. I was unsure of him at first. The grudge I still held against him was still there. Even though I knew he wasn't particularly involved with the coup, a part of me still blamed him for my sister's disappearance. He sure wasn't proud of his actions, appearing regretful and sympathetic most of the time during his stay here. He even helped me try to find Hoku. Unfortunately, after years of searching, it would seem Hoku was nowhere to be found.

But...that's alright. I'm hopeful Hoku is with my sister now, keeping her company wherever she is...

Eventually, I grew more comfortable with Alfred's presence. He would eventually introduce me to the states, my new family as he would say. I was a bit shy at first, but everyone did their best to welcome me. It was tough getting use to being around people other than my sister and the locals. I didn't know how they were going to treat me at first, especially considering we barely knew anything about each other. Fortunately, it wasn't long before I quickly grew accustomed to the states, including America whom I've started to open up to more.

It was a new beginning for me. There have been prosperous and rough times, all of which I've endured on my own on occasion. In the end, I'm still here.

I could never forget the memories I shared with her. The days we cooked. The days we went swimming. The days we told each other stories. They're all in the past now. I'll surely miss her. I'll be unable to rely on her protection, but I couldn't rely on her forever. I needed to protect myself. I needed to make my own friends. I needed to do things by myself. It'll be tough, but I'll manage.

Hona, if you're watching me, I really miss you and Hoku. I'm doing fine right now. I have a new family whom gives me the same amount of love as you do. Alfred... He's like you've described. Although, he's much kinder to me considering everything that happen. If you did ask him to take care of me, thank you. I can't imagine striving on my own without you. I've taken small steps to be as strong and independent as you. I'll do my best to uphold our legacy.

And maybe one day, I'll see you again. And then, I'll tell you everything since you left.

☆☆☆☆☆

Hawaii

Nickname: The Aloha State

Human Name: Leilani Kealoha (sometimes nicknamed Lani)

Gender: Female

Age: 15

Foundation Date: Ancient Hawai'i from 800-1778. Later became the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1810-1893 (for this fanfiction, Hawaii was born and raised around this time period). After the overthrow of the kingdom, the Republic of Hawaii lasted from 1894-1898 before becoming annexed into the United States as the Territory of Hawaii.

Union Date: August 21, 1959 (50th)

Hair Color: Soft Black

Eye Color: Pecan Brown

Notable Traits: Long, wavy hair (refuses to cut her hair short despite her dislike for brushing tangled hair). Large, bright eyes. Cocoa-butter skin. Height is under five feet, appearing as one of the smallest among the states to her disliking. Wears lighting clothing in bright, beautiful colors in all sorts of tropical patterns, especially Hawaiian shirts and Hula skirts whenever doing Hawaiian dances.

Favorite Foods/Drinks: Loco Moco, SPAM Musubi, Hawaiian Plate Lunches, Poke (fish salad), Kona Coffee, Haupia Pie, Laulau (pork wrapped in taro or luau leaf), Kalua Pig, Lomi Salmon, Chicken Long Rice

Favorites: Hibiscus Flowers, Hula Dancing, Playing the Ukulele, Surfing, Sunsets

Personality: Amiable and Colorful. May be one of the oldest state despite her young appearance. She's a soft bundle of adorable who must be protected at all costs. Welcomes anyone with open arms, however, she has an uncanny annoyance towards rude tourists who don't appreciate her native culture. Currently on good terms with America despite their bitter past; often seeing the nation as a big brother figure.

~

To those wondering, this fanfiction has two Hawaii OCs, Ancient Hawaii and Modern Hawaii. For anyone curious, I've placed a profile on Ancient Hawaii in Hetalia: Guide to the Fifty States in Other OCs. In future chapters of Hawaii, there'll be some chapters where Ancient Hawaii existed before the coup. Overall, I hope everyone doesn't get confused by the concept. By the way, Hawaii should've been a bit older than some of the states, but I was bias on having Hawaii be the youngest among the States of America. Hopefully everyone doesn't mind my decision.

Regarding this event, there is so much information regarding the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii, and the eventual annexation of Hawaii into the United States as a territory. As "easy" as it may be to create a 10,000 worded chapter on the whole story, I decided to simplify the event to mostly its aftermath. In the future, I may come back to this event to flush out more of the backstory and the events that led up to the overthrow of the monarchy, possibly from Ancient Hawaii's point-of-view. Hopefully everyone understands my reasons to limit this chapter.

On a final note, the Hawaiian Poi Dog known as Hoku that is shown is Hawaii's first dog. The reason Hoku disappeared was because the Hawaiian Poi Dog would grow extinct around the late 19th to early 20th century for various reasons. For those who don't know, Hawaiian Poi Dogs were often raised for either dog meat (for meat is rare on the island) or as a good luck charm. It wasn't until the establishment of Christian missionaries did the practice of eating dog meat became taboo. These Hawaiian Poi Dogs would later mingle with newly introduced dogs from Europe, leading to the decline of the pure breed. Hawaii would later get another dog, and named it Hoku who still exists in present day. Even so, she still misses the first Hoku.

~

Feel free to vote or leave a comment on your thoughts of Hawaii or leave suggestions for future chapters on Hawaii (history, facts, etc.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 39.1K 92
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
151K 3.8K 36
Two demigods have one night of drinking and find themselves changing their lives. However, is it for the better? Nico di Angelo and Percy Jackson hav...
56.1K 1.1K 39
Bryan goes to work one day like normal but soon finds himself in the hospital This story contains: -Blood -family trouble -childhood memories -past...