All the Wrong Reasons

By shelbylw03

They married for the wrong reasons. He married her for the money and status, while she married him to start... More

Pot and Kettle
What the Future Holds
The Unwilling Bride
Challenge Accepted
Bruised Pride
Everyone's Princess
Dislike to Hate
One-Sided Love Affair
Surprised Shrieks
Start of Something New
Better Left Unsaid
Linked by the Past
Bonding Over Crumbs
Dilemma
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
A Sticky Situation
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 52

Part 51

131K 2.6K 87
By shelbylw03

Chapter 51

Cassandra stared at the woman.  She looked exactly like her, but slightly older.  Her blonde hair curled around her face, her bright blue eyes shined, and the small wrinkles around her eyes did nothing to diminish her beauty.  How was this happening?  How was her birth mother standing in front of her?

“There is a chair to your right, if you would like to sit,” the woman said in a soft voice.

Cassie just stared at her.  “What do I call you?” she blurted before realizing the impact of her question.

“You can call me Ava,” the older woman said with a smile.  “I have no illusions that you will forgive me for what I did.”

Cassie finally flopped down into the seat.  “You had no choice,” Cassie defended.  “You were a great mother, and it is a true testament to your love.”

Ava let out an empty laugh.  “How does it prove my love to you?  If I were a strong woman, I would have left with you.”

“And done what?  There are not many opportunities for women.  You would have been forced onto the street, fending for food.  Do you think that is a way either of us should have lived?”

“I could have found help,” Ava muttered.

Cassie let out a tiny, humorless laugh.  “From where?  Who would you have asked to help when the one person you should be able to count on abandoned you.”

“Your father did not abandon me, he hit me.”

“It is the same in my eyes,” Cassie said while waving her hand dismissively, “and he is not my father.  My father is a kind man, someone who meddles a tad too much, but he is kindhearted.”

Ava smiled with tears in her eyes.  “They treated you good?”

“Like a princess,” Cassandra replied, remembering the words from her father’s story.

Tears flowed from the woman’s face as she nodded vigorously.  “That was all I wanted, for you to have a perfect life, one that I could not have.”

“Who is my father?”

Disgust crossed her face as she spat her next words.  “When I found out what he did to my son, I left him.  I could not let him harm any other children I may have.”

“What does your son look like?” Cassandra asked reluctantly, feeling her heart compress in her chest.  She could not give Cooper away.  She loved the lad; how would she be able to wake without the small boy just around the corner?

A dazed look crossed Ava’s face.  “He has the same color hair and eyes as we do.  He is a small lad, even though he is three.  It seems as if he never grows, but he is smart, Cassandra.  He is the smartest little boy I have ever met; I just wish he would speak.  He knows how to make you smile with a look; he does not trust easily, but once he does, he will cling to you like a vine.”

Cassandra’s eyes began to water.  There was no doubt in her mind as to whom Ava was speaking.  It was Cooper.  She had to make sure though; she had to ask her next question.  “What is his name?”

“James,” Ava said with a large smile.  “I named him James.”

Tears flowed down her cheeks.  This could not be happening, after all this time, she had to give the lad up.  She shook herself.  What was she thinking?  Of course, she would have to give Cooper back to his mother.  It was not as if the lad lived days away.  They were just in a different village.  She could do it; she would visit him every day.  Mayhap, when he grew older, he could stay with them overnight. 

Solidifying her resolve, she stared into Ava’s blue eyes.  “I know where your son is.”

Ava’s face crumbled as she slid to the ground.  Looking up at Cassie with wide eyes she whispered, “He is not dead?  My husband told me he was dead.”

“No,” Cassie said with newfound anger.  “Your son is not dead, but I wish that husband of yours was.  If I had been left alone with him, he would not have survived the morn.”

“You jest?” Ava said with a gasp.  “You say you were treated as a princess, but you have violence coursing through you.”

Cassie shrugged, not finding the need to explain herself completely.  “I have seen things in my life that taught me how to act.  If I feel like being ruthless, it is how I will be.  Do not fret,” she said with a sigh.  “I did not kill the man.  I have a very sensible man in my life.”

“Does he treat you like he should?”

Cassandra shook her head, causing Ava to frown.  “He treats me better than I deserve.  He is truly a great man.  You know, I would not be here if it was not for him.”

“He arranged this,” she asked with a wave of her hand.

Cassandra raised an eyebrow at the woman.  “Who else would have done all this?”

“That man,” Ava replied with a blush.  “Peirce, he speaks of you with such affection, I just thought…”

“That I had taken a lover?” Cassandra asked with a laugh.  “I would never do that.  He may not be my husband on paper, but he is in my heart.”

“Ah, young love,” Ava said with a smile.  “Now, we have talked enough for now.  I wish to help you ready so I may see my son.”

The reminder hit Cassie hard, but she smiled past her pain.  Finding her mother was both rewarding and heartbreaking.  She was glad she had finally seen the woman who birthed her, but she was losing a son.  Standing to her feet, she smiled at Ava.  “Please, make me beautiful.”

Ava shook her head.  “An impossible task, for you are already beautiful.”

Cassie smiled while shaking her head.  She did not hate the woman, nor did she hold a grudge, but deep down, she knew this woman could never be a mother to her.  Cassie had a mother, one that was there for her in hard times.  Ava may become a good friend, but she would never take the place of her true family.

Colin shifted in the snug trousers.  “Are you sure they look fine?”

“Quit pacing,” Peirce mumbled in aggregation, “or you will rip them.”

“If you did not sew the damned things so small.”

Peirce smacked the back of his head as he walked by.  “I am not a woman.  If my sewing is horrid, then it is better than most men can do.”

“You are right,” Colin mumbled.  Worry overcame him.  “How do you think it is going?”

“Do you hear yelling?” Peirce asked.

Colin immediately snapped his head towards Peirce.  The man was standing there with a relaxed expression, his hand holding Coopers.  “Is Cassie yelling?  Does she need help?”

Peirce rolled his eyes.  “She is fine.  I was merely pointing out the fact that they are not arguing.”

“Yes, but dangerous things can happen in silence.”

“Dear God, Colin.  You are worried about a woman the size of Cassie.  I have a feeling that your woman is ruthless enough to take care of herself.”

“You are right,” Colin replied with a sigh.  “I just worry.”

“That is obvious.  Now, stop pacing and finish dressing.  Cassandra will be ready shortly, and if you are not standing up there, she will not walk down that aisle.”

Colin snatched the rest of his clothing and tugged it on.  As his shirt fell across his chest, a knock sounded on the chapel door.  Looking at Peirce in confusion, Colin made his way to the door.  Opening, he let out a groan when he saw the people standing there.

“You should not have come,” he told them.

Will, who was looking pale, sent him a large smile.  “Do you think that I would allow our girl to marry without me?”

Colin nodded in acceptance, but glanced at the others in exasperation.  “Did you have to bring them all?”

Will glanced back at the royal family, Cassie’s family, the guards, and most of the villagers, and shrugged.  “I needed help getting here.”

“Two people could have carried you here,” he informed Will.

Will sent him a smirk.  “What is the fun in that?”

“Do not make me say it.”

“Oh, quit your surly attitude.  If you would like to know, I did this for a reason.”

“And, tell me, what would that be?”

A serious expression crossed Will’s face.  “Her first wedding was, no offense, lacking.  I had thought that this one could be more of what she deserves.”

“A wedding fit for a princess,” Ashmore said from the crowd.

A woman he had not seen before nodded.  “I would like to see my daughter marry.”

“Lady Ashmore,” Colin said with bow.

“Oh, stop that.  My husband is the one who is impressed with such things.  I came here to see my daughter and meet my new son.  I do not want you to bow to your mother-in-law.”

Colin stood straight and smiled at the woman.  It faltered a little at the corners when he thought of where Cassie was now, with her birth mother.  Would they feel jealous when they found out?  Or would they take it in stride?  For Cassie’s sake, Colin prayed that they would not make a scene.  If they did, he would be forced to make them leave.  Narrowing his eyes at the crowd, he spoke loud enough for them to all hear.  “My wife may care about your feelings, but I do not.  I promise you that if any of you ruin this day for her, I will banish you from my lands.  I do not care what your station is; I will not let you in my manor.  Do you understand?”

Nods and ‘ayes’ came from the crowd, letting Colin know that they understood.  “Good,” he said with a smile.  “Now, everyone get in their places.  I have a wedding to start.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

830 15 31
When A Love Gets Rough , He Beats Her , She Might Take The Beating , But Her Bestfriend Won't . This Story Is About Domestic Violence , This Story I...
978 115 9
A Middle Aged Millionaire loves and married Young Girl who look alike his First Wife..But He had some Hidden Dangerous Secerts in his Past with his F...
294K 6.6K 22
He cheated on her, she ignored it. He cussed at her, she forgave him. He doesn't have time for her, she waited for him. He no longer love her but she...
438K 4.7K 8
"You won't expect love from me and will please me whenever, wherever I want." *** Passionate bonds linger in their relation which are ignorant to bot...