What the Future Holds

Chapter 2

Cassandra stood there in horrified awe. What else could she describe it as? Her future husband was more handsome than she thought was possible. Why did the Lord smite her now? What did she do wrong this time? She simply wanted to move to a small town where no one knew her; she wanted to marry an old, obese man with no chance of falling in love.

This man standing in front of her was a force to be reckoned with. Sure he was a little on the skinny side, but that was most likely due to the fact that food wasn't abundant in this small town. She noticed that he, at least, had the decorum to clean himself up a little. With this observation she felt immense relief; her baths were something that she reveled in.

She scanned his features and almost laughed at how in place his hair was. Instantly, she could tell that this man took pride in what he worked for, and it was obvious that he worked to keep his black hair perfect. She wondered if he was conceited when it came to his shiny smooth hair. It was the kind of hair she would love to run her fingers through.

Her long eyelashes fell onto her cheeks twice before she could clear the images from her head. Cassandra had a plan, and this man sauntering towards her was not going to deter her from it. This village would be beautiful by the time she was done with it.

His steps got louder, and she knew that he was almost in front of her. Her eyes did not connect with his, however. She didn't need, or want, any sappy moments of looking into one another's eyes. She had heard the stories about handsome men sweeping women off their feet with just a smile. It wasn't going to happen to her; her feet were planted firmly on the ground.

The footsteps stopped. She glanced up from underneath her eyelashes. There it was. There was the smile that knocked women off their feet; the smile that made her want to melt. However, that would not happen; he would never win her over.

He held out his hand. "Colin Moore, at your service."

Cassandra glared at his hand, but knew it would be improper to refuse it. Her glove clad palm landed into his without a sound. "It's a pleasure to meet you Sir Moore. I am Lady Ashmore."

His eyes crinkled on the side and his lips twitched. "Please call me by my Christian name. You are, in fact, going to be my wife."

She looked at her father praying that he would give her an escape, but she was greeted with a look that said 'Do as the man said.' She cursed what was proper in life. Having to listen to the men in the family had its drawbacks, and this was one of them. She opened her mouth then closed it once more. He had brought her hand up to his lips to plant a small kiss on the top of her glove. The feeling burned through the fabric making her wonder how it would feel on her bare skin.

"Call me Colin," his voice commanded, snapping Cassandra out of her thoughts.

"C-Colin," she sputtered out to his obvious amusement.

"Now may I know yours?"

Her eyes widened.  "My what?"

She could tell the smile he flashed her was genuine this time. "Your name, Princess."

Her blue eyes shot daggers at him. So, he had heard some things about her, but the question was; how much did he really know? Cassandra did not see the wariness in his eyes or the hatred. She almost jumped for joy as she realized that she could start fresh. If he didn't know what was said, it was possible that they went far enough away from home to escape.

Realizing that he was still staring at her, she supplied her name with the poise of a queen. "Cassandra Elaine Ashmore."

"Well Cassie, that is a beautiful name for a beautiful lady," he said as his eyes darkened in interest.