Universal Displacement

Par NicholeLockwood

Sequel, AU. It's almost been a year and it's still hard for Sutton to count the Marvel universe as home. But... Plus

Home Sweet Home?
Finding, Plotting, Falling
Deserted and Determined
Desperate Decisions, Eccentric Equations
The Agents, The Shield, and the Trash Masher
The Magic of the Moment
An Unexpected Revelation
Seeing Double and Getting in Trouble
Just A Sluggin' Saturday
Pride and Petrification
Keep It Secret, Keep It S-Well, Crap
Lost A Bit of it's Magic
Doctor Recommendation: Live A Little
Aliens Just Don't Understand
Eggs-traterrestrial Eggs-asperation
There's Always Something
If At First You Don't Succeed
Some Ends and Other Beginnings
Fires and Frying Pans
Mistakes Were Made
Black and Blue
Between A Rock and A Space Place
One Steps Forward & Another Steps Back
Shock and Awe
How To Save A Starship
The Trouble with Space Travel
Need Some Space
The Final Countdown
Home Again Home Again Lickety Splat
Zipped Lips
Dreams and Deals
Confessions and Ice Cream
Closure and Endings

Space, The Final, Oh Wait-No

311 22 0
Par NicholeLockwood

Sutton stared, wide-eyed and stunned, at Han Solo until he reached into the compartment and yanked her out. She then came to whatever senses she actually still possessed and responded as defensively as anyone who'd been caught trying to bum a ride across the galaxy would. Pulling against his hold, she scowled at the smuggler.

" 'What do we have here?' That was literally the most cliché thing you could have said!"

Solo's grim smile morphed quickly into a frown and he proceeded to drag her, unwillingly, down the hall.

"Well, I apologize if my wit is below your standards, but we'll see who gets the last laugh after I jet you out the airlock!"

"Hey! That's not even funny!"
Sutton attempted to jerk her arm from his grasp and wiggle away. Apparently she was giving him too much trouble because he let out a grunt of frustration and tossed her backwards.

"Chewie, restrain the twerp, will ya?"

Sutton fell back onto what felt like a furry wall and was promptly encased by two hairy arms.

"Hey!"

She was lifted fully off the ground, her feet dangling in the air, as she squirmed with her arms trapped at her sides.

"Let me go!"

Chewbaca let out a short roar that she was unable to decipher so she stilled, feeling wary. Looking up at the Wookie, she gave him her attempt at her most charming smile.

"Chewie, did you know that you have to be the most handsome Wookie I've ever met? I've never seen a more shiny coat!"

Chewbaca let out a noise that didn't sound particularly hostile and Han shot a glare over his shoulder as he marched on.

"Don't fall for it. She's trying to butter you up. It's what women do."

"I take personal offense to that! I'll have you know that I'm one of the worst liars on my planet; there's no way I could fake such a compliment!"

She was still being carried by Chewbaca as they made their way down a short hall until they entered the main hold. Sutton perked up as she recognized it as the area where Obi-Wan attempted to train Luke and Chewie played some form of Space Chess. It was only as they began to pass through the room that Sutton restarted trying to kick up a fuss.

"Hey! Where are we going? Put me down!"

"You're getting tied up in the freight room, you free loader. No one bums a ride from Han Solo."

When it appeared that he was quite serious about keeping her locked away in a cargo area, Sutton intensified her struggling. But, blast it, if this Wookie didn't have bones of steel then she didn't know what did!

"Please! You can't do this to me! I just had to get off that planet!"

"Yeah, if I gave a free ride to someone every time I heard that..."
"Help! Help!"

Han Solo turned abruptly and pointed a finger at her.

"Ain't nobody here that's gonna help-"

"What's going on here?"

Luke and Obi-Wan rounded the corner and joined them in the hallway. Sutton grinned ecstatically.

"Hey, what's the meaning of this," Luke complained. "I thought it was just us."

Han Solo rolled his eyes and threw up his hands in frustration.

"Sorry, I forgot to mention someone had snuck on board."

Luke was frowning and appeared agitated, but Sutton's attention was caught by the look Obi-Wan was piercing her with. He was staring at her in a sort of confused wonder that made her uncomfortable. Sutton attempted to divert his attention.

"Oh thank goodness! You two seem like sensible people, tell him he can't keep me in the cargo bay!"

Han Solo sneered at her.

"You aren't exactly helping yourself, are you?"

C-3PO and R2-D2 suddenly rounded the corner as well to join them and Sutton squeaked in ecstatic surprise.

"Oh! The droids! Awesome! Look at you two!"

Luke, poor thing, appeared absolutely flabbergasted.

"Who are you?"

"Oh, um..." Did she make up a scifi sounding name she'd just forget, or just let them think her especially foreign? "Uh, Sutton?"

"I think the more important question is why she thought she could hitch a ride on my ship. Now, come on, Chewie."

Sutton kicked out her legs uselessly and made a noise of protest.

"Oh my gosh, you're such a jerk right now!"

Behind the Wookie, Sutton heard Obi-Wan speak up.

"Hold on a second."

Solo's shoulders tensed up and he seemed to be just about done as he swiveled around. He raised one brow sardonically as he waited for the old Jedi to continue.

"I believe our agreed upon fare was more than enough to cover one extra person."

"But she wasn't part of the agreement, was she?" He grinned as if he'd won the argument with that statement, but Obi-Wan remained un-phased.

"Just consider her to be 'No-Questions'."

Sutton jumped on the opportunity.

"That's totally my last name, actually! Sutton Noquest-"

"Shut up," Han snapped. "You're one smart remark from being thrown out to space."
Sutton slumped, still being held by Chewbaca, and pouted.

Scowling, Luke opened his mouth to respond, but stopped as Obi-Wan put a hand on his shoulder.

"Consider the girl in our care."

Han tilted his head back, eyes calculating.

"I want an extra thousand."

Sutton could actually see Luke's face redden in outrage. Obi-Wan's gaze hardened.

"Seventeen is more than fair for only three human passengers."

Han was not pleased by this statement, but, oddly, relented.

"Fine. Drop her, Chewie."

Despite the "drop" part of the order, Chewie lowered her gently and Sutton rewarded him with a grin.

"Thanks!"

"But if anything is missing, or broken, or moved, it's on you two! And I'll expect to be compensated."

Han jabbed a finger at both Luke and Obi-Wan before he turned on his heel.

"Come on."

Sutton could hear him grumbling all the way down the corridor.

Chewie followed their pilot back down the hall to, Sutton could only speculate, the cockpit. Dusting herself off, Sutton fidgeted awkwardly in front of two big scifi icons.

"Thanks for sticking up for me," she said shyly. "I was a little nervous there for a second."

Obi-Wan was still observing her sharply, brow slightly furrowed, as Sutton moved to take a seat. Luke was eyeing her in curiosity as if she were some creature from another planet.

Well, actually, now that she thought about it...

The two men joined her in sitting and it was quiet for a moment as if they were all waiting for someone else to speak first.

"So...Sutton?" She nodded in confirmation that that was indeed her name. Luke continued on. "What possessed you to sneak aboard this con man's ship?"

Sutton laughed awkwardly as she scratched at her hair which she'd finally freed from her shawl.

"Well, like I told him, I had to get off Tatooine."

"Quite a risk to take," Obi-Wan commented. He watched her reaction to the statement and Sutton was very conscience of it. She shrugged noncommittally and tried to remain casual.

"I wouldn't have had another chance; I had to."

It was obvious the remark sparked some confusion, but Obi-Wan disregarded it for another question.

"What planet are you from?"

Sutton's mind stuttered. Lyyr had already make it clear that she didn't fit the Tatooine stereotype.

Fake it 'til you make it! Lie, lie, lie!

"Uh, uh, Naboo."

"Naboo," Obi-Wan confirmed flatly.

Sutton tried to give a grin but it turned into one of those 'obviously-guilty-grimace' things.

"Where about," Luke asked. Sutton's nostrils flared briefly.

"Uh, the country. A small town, you probably wouldn't have ever heard of it."

Oh gosh. She did not just...

"Well," the Jedi interrupted her train of thought, "I am Obi-Wan Kenobi, and this is Luke Skywalker."

Sutton gave them each a little wave. She spared one for the two droids as well, and C-3PO returned it with an awkward bow while Artoo chirped cheerfully. After introductions, she sat back and watched as Obi-Wan attempted to guide Luke in using the Force. He took out a lightsaber, the lightsaber, and Sutton gasped in delight. She was a little jealous, actually. She'd, unwillingly, come all this way and she still couldn't even use the Force.

What a rip off.

Luke had swung the beautiful, magnificent lightsaber a few times when Han Solo reappeared with Chewie to wait out their arrival. Briefly, she wondered if she should mention watching out for the new asteroid field that was once a planet, but decided against it. Han was still grumpy with her, it seemed, and Sutton found that unfortunate. Besides, it would only raise questions about how she was privy to such information.

"It won't be too long 'til we get there," he informed them.

Sutton felt her stomach clench at the reminder that soon an entire planet would be decimated. She swallowed dryly and tried to think of something else.

There was nothing she could do about it anyway.

Still, she was starting to feel more uncomfortable about it and drew absentmindedly on the table with her finger.

Obi-Wan was busy telling Luke to feel the Force, let it flow through him, and Sutton's heart rate was picking up. Her palms felt sticky. Her eyes flickered from person to person (and droid), and her stomach dropped, because they didn't even know.

Why did she care so much? She didn't even know these people. Didn't know anyone on Alderaan even.

But they were people. They were real and they were-

Obi-Wan suddenly looked stricken and Sutton blinked rapidly.

"...what's wrong?"

"I...felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Terrible, indeed. Worse than terrible. Horrific.

Sutton couldn't make eye contact with anyone. If not for Obi-Wan's statement, she wouldn't have even been able to tell when the planet was gone. That was enough to prove she had no Force in her.

The Jedi Master was actually staring at her anew as Han Solo told them they'd be arriving around 'oh-two-hundred hours'.

"What is it," she finally asked, wanting to know what his issue was. "Is there something on my face?"

The Jedi only frowned more openly.

"You are a strange one," he said. "You are void of the Force completely. Like an empty pocket of space. It reminds me of a disturbance that happened just recently, actually."

Luke put the lightsaber down and moved closer, his eyes squinting in confusion.

"But I thought you said the Force makes up everything."

"It does," Obi-Wan confirmed after a moment of thought. "Except for her. Where are you actually from, child?"

Han snorted at the idea of the Force, hokey old religion. He left afterwards with Chewie to prepare for their arrival.

Sutton was quiet. She couldn't quite tell them she was from another dimension! A dimension that knew of this world, to top it off! But then she remembered when they were and tried to go for the distraction option.

"I think it's more important that we get to the cockpit right now."

She got up herself to urge them along; Luke and Obi-Wan followed as the droids watched.

Han Solo turned in his seat when he heard footsteps behind him, and Sutton was met with a sneer.

"Oh no, not you. Non-paying passengers don't get to be in the cockpit."

"Ok, that's just rude!

Sutton huffed indignantly as she stood in the back; Obi and Luke squeezed in front of her. But she was saved by the distraction that arriving in the middle of an astroid belt provided, and she held on to the wall as Han expertly navigated them through it. But he wasn't happy about it.

"Aw, we've come out of hyperspace into a meteor shower. Some kind of asteroid collision. It's not on any of the charts."
Luke learned forward in order to see better out the window.

"What's going on?"

"Our position is correct, except...no Alderaan!"

Sutton kept quiet as the others panicked. Obi-Wan was the only other one not crying out in confusion. At Luke's questioning of how it was possible to blow away a planet, he finally spoke.

"Destroyed by the Empire."

And then the TIE Fighter was pointed out. Sutton had to bite her tongue to fight the urge to shout at them to turn around now! But Leia was on the Death Star and they needed her.

It was as Obi-Wan announced "that's no moon" that Sutton really started to feel sick. Her mouth went dry in a flash and she tried to lick her lips.

"Hey, Obi-Wan?"

The Jedi was a bit preoccupied with their situation, but Sutton pressed on.

"Let's pretend, just for funsies, that Darth Vader is on board that thing. Would my lack of Force be interesting to him?"

"Have you not realized, twerp, that we're in a bit of a crisis here?"

For what it was worth, Obi spared her a quick glance.

"Why would you be interesting to him? You have no power, and to him, therefore have no use."

Sutton sighed a little bit, though she tried to hide it.

"Oh, good. Ok."

"This is seriously bad! Chewie! I said to lock in the auxiliary power!" Han Solo interrupted her happy moment with his own severe negativity. "I can't pull out of this, we're going to have to think of a new plan to not get ourselves killed!"

"You don't handle stress very well, do you," Sutton remarked.

(Of course, if Tony had been around to hear her comment, he might have had something to say about her own stress handling techniques.)

Han was frantically flipping switches as he came to the dreaded conclusion that there really wasn't a way out of this. He only snarled at her in response to her jibe.

Soon enough, Sutton's stomach was sinking farther and farther into her toes just like everyone else's as they glided into a docking bay in the Death Star. Her eyes were glued out the window despite it all. She shared Luke's "very bad feeling about this", but she also wasn't going to miss out on gawking.

The Death Star was more than she ever imagined it would be. The sheer size of it was mind-boggling, and terrifying quite frankly. Inside it was grays and whites and oh-so sleek. It just so happened to also be crawling with Imperial soldiers.

Her examination of the inside of the station didn't last long, as Han Solo rushed them out of the cockpit and out into the hall. Off the floor he lifted a disguised panel and urged them down beneath into a secret holding area. As Sutton crawled down to join the rest he mumbled under his breath something about, "should just leave her up here".

Sutton didn't appreciate the comment at this point in her life, honestly.

She barely dared to breath as they all huddled under the floor. The sounds of tapping boots on metal echoed overhead, and Sutton reminded herself that the stormtroopers didn't find them in the hidden cargo space. It only marginally comforted her.

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap.

The "running around the Death Star" portion of this adventure was coming up soon and she wasn't looking forward to it.

Well, it was kinda cool, but it still terrified her.

If she died, she was going to be totally ticked off.

The footsteps eventually faded, Sutton could hear the muffled murmur of static voices. Han Solo hefted the panel up off the floor. Quietly they emerged from the hiding space and Luke complimented their pilot on having such a convenient space. Sutton rolled her eyes though she smirked good-naturedly as well.

It seemed that Luke was a bit naive to the idea of smuggler's habits.

And then they came up with a thrown together plan for infiltrating the Death Star. Sutton had to once again remind herself that the plan actually worked, because it was one of those ideas that should not have even gone to plan. The scanner guys were coming soon, and Sutton bit her lip.

"I think I'll just stay on the Falcon," she said. "I'll hide down there again and wait for you all to come back. I'd just get in the way anyway."

"Oh no you don't," Han Solo said. He grabbed her by the back of her tunic, pulled her closer to the group and didn't release her. "You stowed away on my ship, so you can share in the risks. Besides, I don't trust you being alone. Probably 'd fly off the first sign that the tractor beam was down."

Luke raised a brow.

"Come on, does she really look like she knows how to fly?"

"Shh," Obi shushed them. "We need to focus."

The two scanner guys finally appeared up the stairs and Luke and Han were quick to ambush them. As soon as the Imperial employed men were out of direct line of sight from the troops out in the hangar, Han and Luke yanked them to the side and delivered quick, deft punches. They then feigned the need for assistance and drew two stormtroopers up as well.

Sutton didn't get to wear one of the suits.

With the suits acquired, they were able to level up and gain control of the security room. But the smugglers weren't exactly quiet about it.

"You know, between his howling and your blasting everything in sight," Luke complained, "it's a wonder the whole station doesn't know we're here!"

Han had a snarky reply, but Sutton had followed the droids off to the side near the computers and let the scene play out the way it was supposed to. She really couldn't mess this up. A tiny, sneaky little voice in her head told her that was boring. She could make this work whole situation out better. But she was responsible and an adult and she pushed that voice to the back of her head.

The droids found the main power to the tractor beam and Obi-Wan decided he had to go alone.

It was as Obi-Wan suddenly turned towards the door to leave that Sutton snapped out of her shielded thoughts.

Oh. Oh.

She darted away from the droids and threw herself at the Jedi. Gripping him tight around his waist, she forced a hug on him. Obi stiffly stood as it all happened, no doubt confused.

"I heard stories about the Jedi growing up," she said looking up at him. "They were some of my favorite. Thank you."

Obi-Wan's eyes turned solemn and he patted her on the head. Sutton let go of him, finally remembering that he had no idea who she was or what he was to her world.

"There is still hope for the universe yet," he told her. He tilted his head to the side as he studied her once again. "But something tells me you already know that."

Sutton's lip curved upwards slightly, but she said nothing in reply.

"Luke," he then said. Luke looked up, eyes bright, to Ben. "The Force is with you always."

That seemed to uplift Luke more than anything else. Sutton felt terrible that he'd lose a mentor so suddenly and shockingly.

They all watched as Obi-Wan left the room to go turn off the tractor beam that was holding the Millennium Falcon in the docking bay. Movement behind her drew Sutton's attention away from the door and she looked back to find Han leaning back in a chair and propping his legs up on the control panels. Sutton looked back to Luke and rolled her eyes in shared exasperation. Luke returned the gesture and then gave her a sideways grin. It was then that R2-D2 started beeping and chirping excitedly, shuffling on his little legs.

"What is it," Luke questioned. C-3PO looked up and looked as surprised as a droid with a fixed face could.

[I'm afraid I'm not quite sure, sir. He says 'I found her', and keeps repeating, 'She's here.']

Sutton couldn't help the bubble of excitement that bubbled up from her gut.

Finally! Another girl in the group!

"Princess Leia!"

[][][][][][][][][][]

"Did you hear?"

"The Allfather has dismissed all council-"

"I heard it from a palace guard himself!"

"-Dark Elves are waiting to strike-"
"-heard the Mad Titan took hold of his mind-"

"-they'll strike at The Convergence, mark my words."

"Will Odin do nothing?"

Asgard was churning. Rumors from the palace were pouring out the gates and seeping out into the cities beyond like a poison. With their king aging and Thor out amongst the realms, the threat of Malekith and his army hung heavy on everyone's mind.

If Thor had worried enough about it to bring it up to the king, then they should all be concerned.

"The only royal who can do anything is locked away."

"He deserves it!"

"He was controlled!"

"-the Ice Giants?"

"Enemies!"

"Traitor!"

"-misguided-"

"He cannot do any less than Odin does now."

The people of Asgard were growing bold. Not even the threat of Heimdall's gaze quieted their murmurs.

Frigga stood with a hand on her husband's shoulder as he sat hunched over a gleaming gold desk.

"You must do something, husband. The people are working themselves into a frenzy of fear and rumor."

Odin kneaded at his wrinkled brow, his face dark.

"Rumor begun by that petulant boy, no doubt," he spat.

Frigga's fingers dug into the fabric on his shoulder warningly.

"That boy is our son."

"He holds no love for family in his heart. Except, perhaps, for you," Odin acknowledged. His good eye had not missed Loki's crestfallen face at hearing that he would not see his mother again.

"You cannot deny that it is not beneath him to attempt an uprising."

Frigga hummed lightly in the back of her throat.

"He is certainly clever enough for it."

Odin whirled around and glared fiercely.

"Just where do your loyalties lie, woman?"

She gave the man before her a stern look. It was clear that Loki's fall from grace had effected the man deeply. He was not as he had been before. Still, she was uncertain if her husband was just cutting himself off emotionally from their adopted son, or if this was all simply revealing his true feelings. She sincerely hoped that it wasn't the latter.

"You know I stand behind you, so don't look at me so sharply," she scolded. "I am simply pointing out that we raised a clever son. One with a mind for politics. Perhaps it should have been recognized earlier."

Odin waved off her statement with a flutter of his hand. Turning away from her, he went back to examining the papers on his desk.

"It does not matter," he said. "Thor is the first born regardless of feelings or aptitude. As well as the true heir."

"That is precisely what I am speaking of," Frigga argued. "Thor and you cast large shadows and he felt it! And now he lashes out in retribution."

"And you would condone it?"

"Never," she reassured. "What Loki has done to Midgard and elsewhere is utterly wrong. But he is still so young, barely over a thousand, and who knows what associations he had dealings with during his self-imposed exile? He needs us now more than ever. We are a family, Odin."

Odin was quiet as her words settled in the air. By all appearances he remained unmoved.

"He has murdered innocents and now seeks to destroy the peace on Asgard. He will remain as he is. That is my final decision."

The queen of Asgard straightened to her full height, dress glimmering in the evening sun, as she gazed in frustrated disappointment at her spouse.

"If you do not even attempt to reconcile with our son, then I truly do fear for this realm."

"He is in our most protected dungeons. Even he can do little confined as such."

Frigga's face grew sad then. Her next words hurt her.

"And yet look outside. Look at the state of our people. And all after just a few months time."

Odin didn't respond, and Frigga sighed as she moved towards the door which lead out to the main hall. With one final look back, she noted that her spouse still refused to acknowledge her words.

Sometimes, there was just no talking sense into that man. She could only pray that it wouldn't mean chaos for their kingdom

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

294K 6.8K 41
When suddenly a young girl is found in the ice, suspicions are raised as she is held in captivity, away from the new world she is yet to meet. Little...
274K 7.5K 40
Hydra, an organization founded on the belief that people could not be trusted with their own freedom, had no regard for human life. One day, when a s...
40K 1.4K 17
holland stark, the brilliant yet rebellious younger sister of howard stark. taken from SSR by HYDRA after Steve is injected with the serum, she becom...
25K 1.6K 52
"What if I told you the reality we live in is one of many." The dust has settled after Thanos. Lydia is left with an unpleasant new reality. Natasha...