The Tragic Hum Of A Fairy (Na...

By melodyelaine

Natsu and Lucy have been friends since the middle of kindergarten when Lucy moved into the town of Magnolia w... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - A New Enviroment
Chapter 2 ~ More Than Lunch
Chapter 3 ~ Walking and Running
Chapter 4 ~ Fights and Encounters
Chapter 5 ~ Talks
Chapter 6 ~ Locked Together
Chapter Seven ~ Backstory
Chapter 8 ~ Backstory (pt.2)
Chapter 9 ~ General Confusion
Chapter 10 ~ Feelings with a Touch of Dinner
Chapter 11 ~ Change of Plans
Chapter 12 ~ Just a Game
Chapter 13 ~ Danger, Plans Revealed
Chapter 15 ~ A Bad Day
Chapter 16 ~ Expect the Unexpected
Chapter 17 ~ The Dark
Chapter 18 ~ Caution
Chapter 19 ~ Why?
Chapter 20 ~ A Part of the Truth
Chapter 21 ~ Let The True Games Begin
Chapter 22 ~ A Dark Turn
Chapter 23 - Just In Time?
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 ~ Gilted Pain
Chapter 26 ~ The Race, Fairy Tail, is On!
Chapter 27 ~ A New Motive
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 - The Roar
Chapter 30 - Learning the Truth
Chapter 31 ~ Playing the Waiting Game
Chapter 32 - The Awakening
Chapter 33 - Is the worst over?
Chapter 34 - Say Something
Chapter 35 ~ Suspense
Chapter 36
Chapter 37 - Almost Time
Chapter 38 - Not Goodbye; See Ya Later

Chapter 14~ Gone

76 3 0
By melodyelaine

Natsu POV

     The lovely blonde eventually slipped into a state of restless sleep, leaving me alone in the coming morning. Gildarts still hadn't returned and worry was beginning to poison my mind. I pulled out my phone and checked the time. It had been three hours. Dawn was pressing on the sky and light was beginning to seep through the windows. I looked at Lucy once more, studying her shut eyes, and pink lips. She looked calm. Almost at ease. My hand rested on her arm; she tensed then relaxed even more than before. Her heart rate slowed down and a deep sigh filled her lungs. A small smile crept onto my face. 

    I had missed her. Her blond hair, her smile, her brown eyes.

     My mind wandered to the past we had shared then lost. Little Lucy was happy and fun-loving along with little me. Her determination was unmatched in all the land and her generosity matched that of a lovely princess. 

     A soft lullaby came into my thoughts. A lullaby that I had made up as a child when I couldn't sleep and Igneel was already asleep. A lullaby based on the sounds of the night in the open fields of my home. I began to hum it softly, letting my mind melt into the gentle melody. Eventually, Mira had heard me hum and put words to my rhythm and notes. My low voice began to sing the timid melody.

"Hush now my darling.
No one can hurt you now.
Not he, not she, not I.

Lay your weary head to rest
Hush now, sleep now, darling
Don't worry about the sounds
That blow the trees in the night.

Hush now my darling
No one will break you now
Not him, not her, not I.

Lay your weary head to rest
Sleep now, dream now, darling.
Don't worry about the feelings
The fallen branches bring.

Hush now my darling
Nothing will tear you down
Not it, not that, not I.

Lay your weary head to rest
Dream now, rest now darling
Don't worry about the dark
That brings the morning light.

Hush now my darling
Nothing will wake you now
Not we, not them, not I

Lay your weary head to rest
Rest now, sleep now darling
Don't worry about the grass
Where your head lies tonight."

     I finished quietly, lost deep in thought at the lyrics when a hand reached up and touched my shoulder. Startled, I glanced at the owner and found Lucy fluttering her eye lids open to meet my eyes. She smiled weakly, "That was pretty. Where did you learn that?"

     I could feel my cheeks heat up red. "I... I taught myself. A lot of late nights as a kid alone, I guess. Mira was the one who put words to it. For the longest time I only had a melody."

     "I never knew you could sing."

     "It's not something I openly flaunt."

     She met my gaze, trying to pose a strong smile. "You should. It's really... Pretty..." Her eyes were drooping to a close.

     "Luce?" Panic rushed into my veins. She was struggling to stay awake, and I could tell it hurt her.

     "I'm okay, Natsu... Just tired... I want to sleep..."

     "No, Luce. Don't sleep. Stay with me." I grabbed her hand and held it close to my chest.

     Her eyes shot open for a quick second and she rolled her eyes. "Idiot, I'm just tired. I had a weird dream and it wore me out." Blood flushed into my cheeks and I apologized, letting her hand drop back to her side. I started to get up as to let her rest but a weak hand stopped me. "Natsu... Will you stay with me..." Her eyes were lightly closed, but her mouth was pulled down into a frown. I walked back to the couch and sat on the end of the furniture, only to be pulled down behind Lucy. Her back snuggled into my chest and she grunted in comfort. I could feel my face was a bright red but regardless, I wrapped my arms around Lucy and placed my face in her hair. She smelled amazing always, but this close was just... Spectacular.

     She lightly giggled and placed her soft hand on top of mine. "Goodnight, Natsu."

     I squeezed her hand, "Goodnight, my Luce."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Sunlight was streaming through the window when I awoke later that day. The events from earlier that night hit me like a pound of bricks and I realized that Lucy was no longer in my grasp. I sniffed the air and opened my ears, hoping to catch a hint of the blonde mage. Luck was on my side as I got a whiff of vanilla and a breath of a conversation between Lucy and Gildarts in the kitchen. They were talking about me. I decided to eavesdrop for a few seconds before bursting in.

     Lucy spoke quietly, "So... He's always been sad?"

     "I suppose so," Gildarts was also quiet, "But the kid has will... A strong will. That's all he needs. Ever since I found him, he's always had a hint of death in his eyes."

     "They have definitely changed since I last saw him. They're... Darker now. I miss him. He used to be so childish and now it feels like he doesn't know what to live for." Lucy's voice trailed off, as if the wind was taking her mind to another realm. "I just can't believe Igneel is dead. He seemed so... Strong and immortal. And he loved Natsu so much. They weren't actually related but Igneel loved him as his own."

     "I never got a chance to meet the guy, "Gildarts sighed, "but I heard he was a great guy, and he definitely raised Natsu right..." Silence filled the small cabin, but Gildarts soon filled it. "Ya know, Lucy, you and Natsu are in a lot of trouble right now... The government really wants Natsu and now you... You are the closest thing Natsu has to family and they can use that against him. I think it'd be best if you-"

     Rage finally burst in me. Gildarts was going to try and make Lucy run off so I'd be safe. I wouldn't stand for that. "What the hell?" I yelled and ran into the kitchen where two shocked wizards sat.

     "Well, good morning to you too, sunshine." a sarcastic remark from that man was the last thing I needed.

     I walked over and grabbed him by the collar, "You're gonna just talk behind my back then pretend like I can't hear anything at all?!" I lifted him up. "You heartless bastard... I thought you would do anything to protect me and help me. Luce leaving ain't gonna help anybody!" All I wanted to do was set my hands on fire and punch the shit out of the man in front of me. But I couldn't. I couldn't scare Luce and I only had so many strikes left. I fell to my knees instead. When did I become such a mess?

Lucy POV

     Natsu fell to ground, his head turned down to the ground, bangs hiding his eyes. "Natsu..." his name slipped out my mouth, longing for him to be okay. Longing for him to turn back into the careless little kid he was. Longing for him to be strong and fearless for himself again. He used to always save me from the monsters under my bed and from the mean kids on the playground. Hell, even when I moved thousands of miles away, the thought of him still saved me.

     It was my turn to save him.

     My ringtone interrupted me from my thoughts, and I saw Levy was calling me. I picked up the phone as I exited the small kitchen area. "Hello?"

     Levy's petite voice came through the phone, "Lu-chan? Oh, Lucy! I thought you had gotten kidnapped and raped and - oh my goodness I'm so glad your okay! Where did you go and what happened?"

     I giggled at her persistent questions, "Levy-chan, I'm fine really. Natsu was just pissed and assumed I was as well. I was just taken back by all the responses. I'm not usually the center of attention. So it just shocked me. I'm fine though. Natsu took me back to his... dad's house and we chilled there. I was... um... really tired."

     "Well that's good," she giggled, "Natsu seemed really nice! Nothing like those rumors would have him. He seemed different though then he is at school."

     I glanced back at him. He was still in the floor staring at the ground. "Yeah... Yeah, he just has some problems-"

     Levy interrupted me, "Hang on, Lu-chan. Gajeel! Shut up, will ya? God... You're so annoying sometimes!"

     Gajeel's loud voice replied back, "Geez, Shrimp! I wouldn't be so loud if you had any good food in this place! Where the hell is all the metal and meat?"

     "I don't just keep iron at my house!"

     I smirked, "Oi, Levy-chan. Why is Gajeel at your place? Were you guys having fun after the party?"

     "Lu-chan! It's not like that and Jesus Christ, Gajeel! Can you not?" Levy yelled at him, then returned to me, saying she had to go get some iron from the store and she'd call me back later. I simply laughed and said goodbye to her and Gajeel.

     My attention was yanked back to Natsu who was no longer on the floor, but jumping out the window. "Wait, Natsu! Where are you going?" I raced to the open window and grabbed his ankle.

     "I'm gonna take you home then go... do something," he growled the last part.

     "I swear to God, if this has to do with me and Gildarts talking I will lock you in my closet and never let you out again." A tick mark could've appeared on my forehead with how pissed I was.

     But he shocked me. Instead of pulling out of my grasp he pulled me back and kissed me. I melted into his embrace as the kiss deepened. Shortly after, though, he pulled away and hugged me. "Just trust me, Luce. I promise. But don't talk to me anymore... Just.... Trust me."

And with that, he was gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading!

*I don't own Fairytail

~MelodyElaine

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 5.6K 32
Lucy and Natsu are best friends and they have been ever since they were little! What will happen when she loses all the most important people in her...
216K 4.5K 34
Natsu is your typical hormonal teenage boy in high school. He's the schools bad boy and heartthrob but he's also a heartbreaker and a sex addict. But...
59.3K 1.4K 33
After a long journey of 100 years quest, Team Natsu went back to Magnolia to their guild Fairy Tail. But there was something wrong with Lucy, there's...
37.3K 1K 43
After getting out of a toxic relationship, Lucy Heartfilia goes home to Magnolia to escape California and memories of her old boyfriend. Is it a coi...