Lionhearts | hp. ✓

By wizardinq

❝She wore her scars as her best attire, a stunning dress of hellfire.❞ In a world where children are orphaned... More

[Foreword]
[Characters]
[Prologue]
Year 1 | The Girl Who Lived
Year 1 | Phoenix Tears
Year 1 | The Hogwarts Express
Year 1 | The Sorting
Year 1 | Severus Snape
Year 1 | Seekers and Keepers
Year 1 | Legacies
Year 1 | Wingardium Leviosa
Year 1 | The First Game
Year 1 | The Weasley Three
Year 1 | Haunting Desires
Year 1 | The Point of No Return
Year 1 | Through A Looking Glass
Year 1 | Old Wounds and New Blood
Year 2 | The Burrow
Year 2 | The Whomping Willow
Year 2 | The Polyjuice Potion
Year 2 | The Serpentine Tunnels
Year 2 | The Purple Prank
Year 2 | The Last Day
Year 2 | A Letter to Mrs. Weasley
Year 3 | The Knight Bus
Year 3 | Remus Lupin
Year 3 | Deadly Omens
Year 3 | Kissed By Shadows
Year 3 | Pins and Needles
Year 3 | Secrets Undone
Year 3 | Mischief Managed
Year 3 | The Locket
Year 3 | The Midnight Howler
Year 3: The Bell Tolls for Death
Year 3: A Wrinkle Back in Time
Year 3 | The Firebolts
Year 4 | The Quidditch World Cup
Year 4 | Mood Swings for Moody
Year 4 | A New Game
Year 4 | A Devil's Dance
Year 4 | The First Task
Year 4 | The Spectacular Now
Year 4 | The Second Task
۵ Tribute ۵
Year 4 | Of Forgotten Lore
Year 4 | The Potters and the Dark Lord
Year 4 | Remembering Cedric Diggory
Year 5 | The Grimmauld Place
Year 5 | Of Secrets and Lies
Year 5 | Judge Fudge and Loony Lovegood
Year 5 | Operation Augustus
Year 5 | I Must Not Tell Lies
Year 5 | A Great Many Things
Year 5| Dream A Better Dream
Year 5 | Where the Wild Things Are
Year 5 | Until I See You Again
Year 6 | Heartbreaking Choices
Year 6 | Weasley is Our King! ♛
Year 6 | The Coldest Winter
Year 6 | Welcome To The New Age
Year 6 | The Reckoning
Year 6 | The Swan Dive
Year 7 | Until Death Do Us Part
Year 7 | Long Live the Potters
Year 7 | Petals on the Wind
Year 7 | This Game We Play
Year 7 | The Three Brothers
Year 7 | Dobby the Guardian Angel
Year 7 | Sweet Melancholy
Year 7 | Severus and Lily
Year 7 | The Demise of Lily Potter
Year 7 | Sign of the Times
Year 7 | The Imperius Curse
Year 7 | Promises
Year 7 | The Cruciatus Curse
Year 7 | The Killing Curse
Year 7 | Hope Breeds Eternal Misery
Year 7 | Angel of Hellfire
Year 7 | Together We Greet Death
Year 7 | The Battle of Hogwarts
[epilogue: five years later]
[afterword]
Bonus Chapter | The Gala
Bonus Chapter II | Parallel Worlds [DAVINA CROSSOVER]
BONUS CHAPTER 3 | The Angel of Hellfire and the Master of Death [CROSSOVER]
BONUS CHAPTER 4 | Those Loved or Lost [DAVINA CROSSOVER]
BONUS CHAPTER 5 | A Lifetime of Adventures [FINAL DAVINA CROSSOVER]
FINAL BONUS CHAPTER 7 | Adventures Forevermore [DAVINA]
BONUS CHAPTER | You're a Wizard, Hagrid.

Year 2 | The Poltergeist

12.3K 471 211
By wizardinq

IN THE MORNING, Lily had showered and dressed, but was now fumbling around with her long, curly red hair in attempts to put it up neatly. Her hair was her downfall the Gryffindors had Quidditch practice today, and Lily hated it when her hair got in her face and distracted her; she would be on a broom, of course, and no one need to break their neck, especially when they're one of the most important players. "Ugh!" she groaned, letting her hair go wild after messing with it for so long.

Ginny, who was still writing in that diary, giggled. Without setting the book down, she went to the stairs. "Fred! George! Hair!" she laughed, shouting it down.

Lily watched her in confusion as she sat back down on her bed. A few seconds later, two sets of footsteps ascended the stairs. Fred and George, already dressed for Quidditch practice, stuck their heads in their door, rolling their eyes at Ginny.

"Not me. Lily." Ginny protested, pointing at the fluffy haired girl.

Fred and George turned to towards Lily and smirked, looking over her hair in great effect. "Having trouble with your mane, little lion?" Fred asked, his smirk turning into a full fledged grin that was engulfing his whole face.

"Watch yourself." she warned playfully, sticking her tongue out at them.

"Brush." George held his hand out. Confused yet still semi trusting of the twins Lily gave it to him and they sat down on her bed on both sides of the girl. George began running a brush through her hair, and when all of the knots were out, Fred began weaving it into a French braid.

"You know how to do hair?" Lily asked, genuinely surprised.

"We used to do Ginny's hair when Mum couldn't or wasn't home." George explained embarrassedly.

"Makeup, too, but Mum didn't like that very much." Fred chuckled.

"Awe, go ahead, boys, let loose your inner girls." Lily mocked with a slight laugh.

"Watch it, Potter, I could very well get a pair of scissors." George rolled his eyes.

She narrowed her eyes, "And I could help your start the process of showing your inner girl."

"Whoa, whoa, okay." George laughed.

"Damn, you are feisty." Fred laughed as well before he was, "Done."

"Thanks."

"See you later, Ginny." George called, walking out the door.

"Yeah, see you later. The three of us are heading to Quidditch practice." Fred added.

Ginny waved to them goodbye as Lily waved slightly before following the twins down to the common room. Every other member of the team, including Harry, was gathered in the common room, waiting for them.

"Ahh, Lily, Fred, George, there you are." Wood acknowledged, "We are all set, then. Let's go."

Once they made their way outside, onto the Quidditch field, the team trailed behind Wood, ready to hear his plan. Several students were outside studying on the benches, including Hermione and Ron. Of course, Hermione was helping Ron as he tried to watch the Quidditch team, however every time he looked up Hermione would whack him on the head with a book.

"I spent the summer devising a whole new Quidditch program. We're going to train earlier, harder, and longer!" Wood began, not looking at the team's slightly annoyed faces.

"Oh, no." Fred and George mumbled in unison, nudging Lily to get her attention they pointed making her groan at the sight.

Nudging Wood with her elbow, he looked at Lily she ordered nodding to what the red- haired twins had seen, "Wood, turn around."

Wood squinted in the direction only to see a thing they'd rather forget, "What the -- I don't believe it!"

They saw another group of students heading to the pitch, just then walking across the courtyard. They were dressed in green and silver robes, and had snickering grins on their faces: the Slytherins. Marcus Flint, the leader of the Slytherin Quidditch team, was grinning. This really couldn't be good.

"Clear out, Flint! I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today." Wood told the other leader, an air of professionalism orbiting around the Gryffindor.

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." Flint replied silkily, waving a slip of parchment for all to see.

As Wood snatched the Parchment, Ron and Hermione had joined the team to see what all the fuss was about. "'I Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.'" Wood read aloud, before he looked at Flint, "You've got a new Seeker? Who?" A familiar, sneering boy pushed to the front, smirking at the Potter twins: Draco Malfoy. It was then that Lily noticed the team all had new brooms.

"Malfoy." Harry spat in unison with Lily.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year..." he bragged. At the same time, the seven Slytherins held out their brand new, gleaming black broomsticks. Everyone seemed stunned that the bloody git had his father buy him onto the team!

"Those are Nimbus Two Thousand Ones." Ron went wide-eyed, gasping slightly at the sight of all of them.

"A generous gift from Draco's father." Flint bragged, answering the unasked question.

"That's right, Weasley. You see, unlike some, my father can afford to buy the best." Malfoy spat, a glint in his eyes as he saw Ron lower his head slightly.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in." Hermione cut in smartly, "They got in on pure talent."

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood!" Draco snarled; the word 'Mudblood' is like a terrible curse word to call a witch of wizard who is muggle-born: it means dirtyblood, and Draco Malfoy just called Lillian Potter's best friend that.

Harry was the only clue less one in the group but instantly, Fred and George flew for Malfoy's throat, only Wood held them back. "Save it for the match." he tried to reason, but Ron looked at Hermione, and she was clearly offended and upset, those she was keeping a firm glare, no way was he going to let the idiot get away with this.

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" Ron growled, whipping out his wand and pointing it at the blonde, "Eat slugs!"

"Ron, no!" Lily shouted, but she was too late. A green flash of light beamed out of his broken wand, but instead of hitting Malfoy in rebounded and hit Ron in the stomach. He fell the the ground, and Hermione ran to him.

"Ron! Say something!" Hermione shook him, shouting. Ron turned over on his stomach and opened his mouth, coughing up - trio of slugs. Hermione drew back slightly as the Slytherins began to laugh and snicker, Malfoy laughing the loudest. Ron stood, only to belch another slug from his mouth, with a sour expression.

"Look here, Weasley--" Malfoy began but before the bloody git could finish his freaking sentence Lily knew would turn out to be an insult, she flew at him. Fred and George weren't quick enough to hold her back as the redhead's clenched fist flew at him, hitting him square in the face and causing him to fly back holding his face. When he pulled his hand back, his nose was bleeding and he clutched it, looking at Lily with a surprised and scared expression. Fred and George were too proud and happy to hold her back as even the Slytherins stood in surprise. She grabbed Malfoy by his collar, lifting him up.

"Listen here, you bloody prat. I warned you about messing with my friends, and you've crossed the line." she growled, "You underestimated me because I'm a girl, and you thought I was all words. That was a wrong choice." She threw him to the ground, letting him go and he scrambled up, keeping his distance. Just then, Colin Creevey bounced over with his camera.

"Wow! Can you hold him still, Harry?!" He asked her brother who was kneeling next to Ron.

"Get out of the way, Colin!" Harry exclaimed, when Lily went over to help Ron, Harry turned to the two girls of the quartet, "Let's take him to Hagrid. He'll know what to do."

***

The three helped Ron and led him all the way to Hagrid's hut, passing the pumpkin patch and once we made it to his door, Lily shouted out for the big, friendly giant, "HAGRID!" Almost immediately, the door opened to reveal their friend. He glanced at Ron as he propped him up, and beckoned the students inside.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Slug curse rebounded." Lillian supplied, nodding to himself he began rummaging through his things, muttering something under his breath about how 'students can be so careless and rude sometimes.'

"Got jus' the thing." Hagrid said finally, gesturing to a chair he told them, "Set 'im down on that chair o'er there." As we helped Ron sit, Hagrid put a bucket between his knees. Harry and Hermione glanced at him questioningly. The giant shrugged, "Better out than in. Who was he tryin' ter curse anyway?"

"Malfoy." Lily spat.

"He called Hermione, well, I don't know exactly what it means..." Harry grew confused as he tried to explain.

Hermione stood, walking to the corner as she looked painfully at Hagrid, clear upset, "He called me a Mudblood."

"He didn'!" Hagrid gasped. Harry looked at them, still confused.

"Harry, it means dirty blood. Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who was Muggle-born. Someone with non-magic parents." Lily informed her clueless twin, putting a comforting hand on Hermione's shoulder.

"Someone...like me." Hermione cut in, "It's not a term one usually hears in civilized conversation."

"Yeh see, Harry. There are some wizards -- like Malfoy's family-- who think they're better than everyone else 'cause they're what people call pureblood." Hagrid continued to explain.

"That's horrible." Harry exclaimed, unable to understand why it happened.

They all watched as Ron belched forth another slug, and gagged, "It's disgusting!"

"An' it's codswallop ter boot. Dirty blood. There's 'ardly any wizard today that's not half-blood or less. If we 'adn't married Muggles we'd've died out long ago." Hagrid continued, "Besides, they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can't do..." Hagrid then took Hermione's shoulder, "Don' you think on it, Hermione. Don' you think on it fer a minute."

Hermione managed a smile through her teary eyes as Lily hugged her gratefully returning it.

"Besides, that Malfoy will get what's comin' to him sooner or later." Hagrid pitched in.

"He already did." Harry chuckled, looking at his sister.

"What do ya mean?" Hagrid asked, following Harry's gaze to Lily who remained quiet.

"She punched him square in the face, she did." Ron stopped gagging, all out of slugs.

Hagrid turned to the Potter girl smiling knowingly, "Just like yer father in that sense, you are. He did the same for his friends." She instantly smiled back, knowing that there were more traits that she shared with the man.

***

Lily had spent time with Professor Snape in his classroom, the professor teaching her quite a few defensive spells which she had to practice, but tonight, Lily was accompanying Harry in detention because she had nothing better to do and frankly, he begged his twin to come. So here they sat, in Lockhart's classroom which Potter and Snape cleaned themselves, responding to his piles of fan mail. Once in awhile, the twins would send each other exasperated glances, they were now writing addresses on envelope as he cheerily wrote down his signature on his photos.

"Harry, Lillian...Can you possibly imagine a better way to serve detention than by helping my answer my fan mail?" the man asked, causing them to force smiles on their faces as they resisted the urge to roll their eyes. "Fame's a fickle friend, Harry, Lillian. Celebrity is as celebrity does. Remember that." Lockhart continued. The two nodded, and Harry glanced gloomily at the towering stacks of envelopes they had yet to address.

Lily turned back to her stack, but as she dipped my quill in the dark ink that was devoid of all color and began writing again, a dark, chilly voiced filled the room. Harry heard it to, for he looked at her and sent a look that asked Lillian if she'd heard. The voice was loud, cold and sent shivers down their spines as it echoed throughout the room. "Come...Come to me..." The voice hissed through the wall causing Lily to furrow her eyebrows.

"What?" Harry asked aloud. It was only then they realized Lockhart had been speaking.

"I was saying, six solid months at the top of the bestseller list! Broke all records!" Lockhart repeated.

"No... not you, that... voice." Harry spoke.

"Voice?" Lockhart furrowed his eyebrows.

"That... voice. Didn't you hear it?" the redhead questioned sticking up for her raven haired twin.

"What are you talking about, you two? I think we're getting a bit drowsy. Great Scott -- and no wonder -- look at the time! We've been here nearly four hours! Dinner's nearly done!" Lockhart exclaimed, "If you hurry you might make pudding. Spooky how the time flies when one's having fun!"

"Spooky." Harry and Lillian muttered in unison. They exited the room, closing the door behind them, but as soon as it closed, Lily turned to him. "You heard it too, right?!" Harry asked her, causing a nod.

"Of course." Lily stated, "But how didn't Lockhart hear it?" Harry shrugged in response as they began walking through the the halls, past the lengthening shadows of the corridors. Then the two heard the frightening voice again.

"Blood... I smell blood..." It hissed, the voice ringing in their ears. The two stopped cold in their tracks, looking for where the voice was coming from. But it seemed as though the voice was coming from everywhere. "Let me rip you... let me kill you..." It hissed again, sounding as though it was taunting them.Harry stepped towards the wall, playing his fingers along the stone, as he began to walk, Lily following him as he broke out into a run, trying to follow the voice. They ran faster and farther until the duo rounded the corner, and came face to face with Hermione and Ron. Ron had to catch Lily and balance her after she came crashing into him.

"Harry! Lily!" Hermione exclaimed, looking at the two who were still pale from what they'd heard the voice say.

"Did you hear it?!" Harry asked them urgently.

"Hear what?" Ron asked as he quirked an eyebrow.

"That... voice." Lily told them, turning to face Harry who nodded in agreement.

"Voice?" Hermione glanced at Ron questioningly, "What voice?"

"We heard it first in Lockhart's office and then again, just--" Harry stiffened as he and Lily heard the voice again, as if it were following them.

"Kill... Time to kill..." The voice hissed once more. Hermione and Ron looked at the twins with concern and curiosity as their eyes trailed along the walls, seeking to locate it.

"It's moving." Harry exclaimed.

"I think it's going to...kill." Lily exclaimed, remembering what it'd said moments ago. She and Harry exchanged looks before running down the corridor, with Hermione and Ron following behind them, completely confused. They dashed up the steps, Lily taking three at a time, and once they made the landing, the quartet raced around the corner, under an archway and then Lily slowed to a stop to catch her breath. Harry followed a few feet in front of her as she listened, but she knew Harry, too, did not hear anything. It was then that she looked down to see water oozing over the stone floor. Water surrounded her shoes and looked down to see her face reflected in the water, and then the redhead noticed something else: reflected in the water were words, written in red. As soon as Harry noticed it, too, Ron and Hermione caught up with them, wheezing slightly as they regained their breath.

"What are you two doing?" Ron asked them. It was then that Lily saw it. Words, drawn with a red substance, written on the stone wall: blood. She pointed, and Harry did, as well. The words read 'THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED ENEMIES OF THE HEIR ... BEWARE.'

"'The Chamber of Secrets has been opened...?'" Hermione read it, furrowing her eyebrows.

"What's that? Hanging underneath?" Rom gestured, causing Lily to gasp as she looked, soon averting her emerald eyes that had tears sprouting underneath, but this was not a time for crying, she would have to remain strong.

"That's Filch's cat. Mrs. Norris." Harry answered as the others go a view of the cat, she hung stiffly by her tail from a torch bracket her eyes open and blank. Their eyes all shifted the the window, on the topmost pane, spiders scuttled up, fighting to get through a crack in the glass. Lily squealed in horror and jumped back: she feared spiders; arachnophobia.

"Look at that. Have you ever seen spiders act like that?" Hermione noted, and then turned to Ron who was pale as a sheet as well, "Ron...?" He was also backing away with Lily, too nervous to do anything else.

"I... don't... like... spiders." he spluttered eyeing the eight legged arachnids. Suddenly, voices could be heard from the stairwell as students were dismissed from dinner. Dozens of students appeared, streaming forth and talking, but they stopped when they saw the wall and the four second year Gryffindors standing before it. A silence fell among them, as Malfoy pushed forward through the crowd, eyeing the wall then grinning nastily.

"Enemies of the heir, beware! You'll be next, Mudbloods!" Malfoy mocked, eyeing Hermione. Just then, Filch appeared, the usual sour look on his face.

"What's going on here? Go on now! Make way..." He grunted, but then he stopped dead in his tracks and looked devastatingly at the hanging cat, "Mrs. Norris!" He then turned and rounded on Harry, "You! You've murdered my cat! I'll kill you! I'll --" He grabbed the collar of Harry's robes, but Lily grabbed his wrist, trying to pry him off of her squirming brother.

"Let him go!" she shouted at the ancient caretaker, "He didn't do this!"

"Argus!" A loud, wise voice shouted, making the students turn, only to see Dumbledore march forward, trailed by a group of teachers. Seeing the wall, Dumbledore's face darkened. "Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately." Dumbledore spoke, then turned to the golden quartet, "Everyone except you four." he amended. As the students began to leave, Dumbledore stepped to the wall. With extreme gentleness, he removed Mrs. Norris from where she hung.

"It was definitely a curse that killed her -- probably the Transmogrifian Torture. Encountered it myself once, in Ouagadougou. The full story's in my autobiography..." Lockhart rambled, trying to be of some use, but Dumbledore only proved him to be even more clueless right then.

"She's not dead, Argus. She's been Petrified." Dumbledore informed, a slight annoyed expression at Lockhart's bragging.

"Precisely!" Lockhart recovered, under all of the teacher's annoyed glares, "So unlucky I wasn't there. I know the very countercurse that could have spared her..."

"But how she's been Petrified... I cannot say." Dumbledore thought aloud, cutting off all thoughts from the 'professor'.

Flinch pointed at the Potter twins who stood with Hermione and Ron, "Ask them! It's those two that's done it. You saw what they wrote on the wall! Besides, he knows I'm -- I'm a Squib."

"It's not true, sir! We swear! We never touched Mrs. Norris--" Lily defended.

"--And I don't even know what a Squib is." Harry cut her off, confused by the wizarding term.

"Rubbish! He saw my Kwikspell letter!" Filch argued.

"If I might, Headmaster..." Snape spoke up, and the others turned to watch Snape separate from the shadows, "Perhaps the Potters and their friends were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time..." Was Snape actually defending us? Defending Harry? He may somewhat like me, but he didn't like Harry at all, for some odd reason, Lily thought in surprise but her surprise was soon extinguished by his next sentence. "However, the circumstances are suspicious. I, for one, don't recall seeing the Potters at dinner." Snape continued.

Possibly for the first time in his life, Lockhart took a stand, "I'm afraid that's my doing, Severus. You see, Harry and Lillian were helping me answer my fan mail..."

Snape's lips curled in disgust just as Hermione leapt into the conversation. "That's why Ron and I went looking for them, Professor. We'd just found them when they said..."

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Professor McGonagall spoke up as she hesitated to explain.

Lily was about to speak but Harry cut her off with a lie, "When we said we weren't hungry. We were heading back to the Common Room and... found Mrs. Norris." Snape eyed them coldly, knowing he lied, even Dumbledore studied Harry and Lily, but she did not want to lie about this; she was scared. This...this voice, whatever it was...it wasn't good.

"Innocent until proven guilty." Dumbledore spoke wisely as he turned to Filch.

Filch's jaw wavered, "My cat has been Petrified! I want to see some punishment!"

Dumbledore held his hand up to tell Argus to calm down, "We will be able to cure her, Argus. As I understand it, Madam Sprout has a very healthy growth of Mandrakes. When they have matured, a potion will be made which will revive Mrs. Norris. In the meantime, I advise caution. To all."

He glanced at them but Lily could not meet his eyes, instead, McGonagall met her eyes, and it was as if her concerned eyes saw right through Lillian Potter. "You may go back to your common room." Dumbledore spoke, gesturing for them to leave. The four nodded, and started to walk back, Lily followed the others down the corridor back to their rooms, they walked in silence until they rounded two corridors, making sure they were away from them at that horrid message.

"What's a squib?" Harry asked, breaking the silence.

Ron huffed, "A Squib's someone who's born into a wizarding family but hasn't got any powers of their own. It's why Filch is trying to learn magic from a Kwikspell course. It's also why he hates students so much. He's bitter."

Hermione, who had only been half-listening, turned to Harry and Lily and spoke to them, "Harry, Lily. This voice. You said you heard it first in Lockhart's office?

"Yes." they nodded.

"And did he hear it?" She continued.

Harry shrugged, "He said he didn't."

"Maybe he was lying." Ron pitched in logically.

Hermione scoffed defensively, "I hardly think someone with Gilderoy Lockhart's credentials would lie to one of his students, Ronald. Besides, if you recall, we didn't hear anything either."

"Correction: If he had heard the voice, he would have been scared out of his wits." Lily chimed in, "Didn't you see him back there? He hadn't a clue as to what happened."

"Yeah, I also saw the look Snape gave him. It was pretty scary." Ron agreed.

"You do believe us, don't you?" Harry questioned the two. Lily feared their answers: they were their best friends, but everyone is scared of something. What if they were scared of what we were telling them? Lily knew she should not be scared because last year with what happened with the sorcerer's stone, they proved to be life-long companions.

"'Course we do. It's just... it's a bit weird, isn't it?" Hermione took in a breath, "You hear this voice and then... Mrs. Norris turns up Petrified."

"I can't explain it -- it was...scary." Harry muttered. He then turned to Lily to see if she could describe it, she realized all three of them were looking at her now as she thought up a way to explain the strange voice.

"It was a cold, shrilly voice, like a hiss." she frowned.

"Do you think we should've told them -- Dumbledore and the others, I mean." Harry asked as he frowned as well.

"Are you mad?!" Ron exclaimed, exchanging a look with Hermione.

"No, Harry." Hermione nodded frantically, "Even in the wizarding world, hearing voices isn't a good sign." It was happening again; maybe Dobby was right. Hogwarts is in imminent danger, and it is clear someone didn't want them there; but that voice...could it really be...no, it could not. Voldemort could not come back so soon...could he? If he does, Lily decided she was not ready to face him. She didn't think Harry had come to that conclusion yet, and if he had, it was clear he was trying to convince himself otherwise. Lily wished she could, but things just don't go their way.

A more pressing matter surfaced her pool of thoughts. What was the chamber of secrets? Was it a metaphor? And the heir of Slytherin...wouldn't that mean the legacy of Salazar Slytherin? Voldemort was in Slytherin...could he be the heir? Could he be in the castle, right in this moment, and we were just too oblivious to realize? She asked herself as they walked through the castle to Gryffindor tower.

***

They were in mid game, it was Gryffindor versus Slytherin in the Quidditch match and Lily would have to admit, they were fast on their new Nimbus Two Thousand and One's. But, her brother was faster and slicker. She heard Hagrid's booming voice from the loud, cheerful crowd, "Gallopin' Gorgons! Slytherin's flyin' like they got dragon fire in their brooms..."

Harry circled high above the pitch, searching for the golden snitch. When he was within proximity of Lily she had just blocked a quaffle from scoring. Malfoy streaked overhead and teased her brother saying, "All right there, Scarhead?"

Harry turned and eyed Malfoy malevolently just as she saw a bludger, and Lily readied herself to block it, but realized it wasn't heading for the hoop. It was heading directly for Harry's head! "HARRY! WATCH OUT!" George and Lily shouted in unison, causing Harry to wheel around right on time, the bludger slipped by him as George swooped down to bat the ball away.

The Potter twins watched as it soared away from them. But the ball paused, and came soaring back, however this time it was heading for the ginger of the two. "What do I do?!" Lily shouted at the other Gryffindor twins.

"FREDDIE CALL A HALF TIME!" George shouted at his brother as he saw what was happening to his friend.

"LILY, FLY!" Harry shouted at her, wide eyes as he watched as well.

"CRAP!" Lily yelled as she flew away from her post.

"RUN, LILY, RUN!" Fred shouted at her, half joking.

"FRED, NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR MUGGLE MOVIE PUNS!" George scolded him. The bludger stopped in midair, as if deciding who to go after, Lily or Harry.

"Don't move." Harry said very slowly as it wait between the two. The crowd, still loud as ever, realized something was wrong and out of the corner of her emerald eyes, Lily saw Fred fly over to the teacher's bleachers talking to them. The bludger had made its decision to go after her, she dipped down as it shot at her head. The fear Lily felt made the palms of her hands sweat as she tried to keep hold of her broom.

"Blimey, the twins have got 'emself a Rogue Bludger!" she heard Hagrid shout from where he sat among the Gryffindor students.

"Rogue Bludger?" Ron asked, joining in the yelling.

"Look fer yerself! It's bin' tampered with!" Hagrid replied.

"Lily! Hang on!" Harry shouted.

"I'm trying!" Lily shouted through gritted teeth. In the final milliseconds, it took for the bludger to shoot at her head, Lily pulled up and shot straight up into the sky. The bludger lost its track of her only to go after Harry. Her brother flew in zig zags in attempt to get bludger off his tail, he flew in loops and rolls, but the damn ball was relentless. As Harry frantically dipped and dived, Lily flew by Draco who grinned at both of twins.

"Training for the ballet, Potter?" He teased.

Harry brushed past the two, the bludger close behind. On impulse, Lily knocked Malfoy off of his broom and grabbed him by the back of his robes, using all her strength. The bludger flew past right where Malfoy's neck would have been if she hadn't grabbed him.

As Harry flew around, still being chased by the bludger, Lily hauled a flailing and screaming Malfoy back onto his broom, proving all the stereotypes wrong regarding girls being weak. "See that? That was me saving your arse. It's what good people do." she glared at him as he regained himself, "Now, I'm going to help my brother."

Harry, desperate to end the game, searched for the golden snitch. Spotting the snitch by Draco's ear, Lily yelled to Harry making him look over and follow her gaze before once again began heading towards Malfoy. Malfoy gulped nervously, swinging clear and watched as Harry rocketed past him. Harry chased the snitch, with Malfoy followed suit. They raced downward and deep into the trench circling the pitch. Fred and George flew up next to Lily, having been allowed to leave their posts. McGonagall and Snape stood in the teacher's section, trying to spot the rogue bludger.

Shoulder to shoulder in the tight space, the two seekers raced wildly, dodging the wooden beams that blocked their paths. Directly behind them, the bludger followed Harry, breaking and snapping the wooden support beams. Malfoy kicked Harry, sending him to the edge of the trench. Lily's brother brushed the wall in attempts to regain control, as Malfoy snickered at him cockily. Karma came around and bit Malfoy in the arse as he looked back in front of him and found himself heading smack into a wooden beam. In a panic, Draco tried to pull up but it was too late as his new broomstick met the beam and he spurred up out of the trench, landing flat on his back in the middle of the pitch. But as Harry pulled out of the pitch, Lily no longer saw the bludger around him. The crowd was quiet, trying to keep an eye out for the rogue thing. That was when she saw the devilish ball heading straight towards her, having had lost Harry in the ruckus. It was going to hit Fred! The twins froze. Lily pulled up on her broom and blocked the ball from aiming at Fred's head. Instead, she received the blow to her abdomen. Letting out a cry, the force knocked her off of her broom. Cries erupted from the crowd as everyone stood. George caught Lily's wrist right on time as her hands slipped from her broom, dropping it to the ground. Lily however, was dangling in midair, only being kept up by George's strength.

"HANG ON!" The twins shouted at her in unison.

"YOU HOLD ON!" the Potter girl wheezed as she tried not to look down.

Harry zoomed past the trio, grabbing his twin and pulling her onto the back of his broom with amazing speed. Cries of relief erupted from the students and teachers around them, but now, the bludger would not have a distraction being that Harry and Lily were now on the same broom. Lily wrapped her arms around Harry's torso, wincing. As her brother continued, closing in on the snitch. His fingertips were only inches away from catching it when the rogue bludger smashed into Harry's arm.

"Harry!" Lily cried out, she secured her arms around him, despite the pain, allowing her brother to steady himself. He reached out with his good hand and snatched the golden snitch. His twin gasped again as the bludger made its way back towards the two. Harry reared the broom up to avoid it, but unable to control the broom with his shattered arm, they lost control and spur lard down. The two hit the pitch with a sickening thud, getting the wind knocked out of her, Lily remained still as Harry rolled onto his shoulder. Then, she saw a black dot in the sky, growing larger as it approached with quick speed.

"Watch out!" Ron shouted.

In agony, Harry rolled over just as it aimed for his head, hit the ground like a sledgehammer, and the ball made an indentation in the ground. It shot back up, aiming for where Lily's shoulder was, she turned into her side, avoiding it by inches. Lily cried out in pain, having probably broken quite a few ribs. "HERMIONE, NOW!" she shouted through gritted teeth.

In a rush, Hermione pushed through the crowd, her wand out. She aimed for the ball as it came shooting down right at twins' heads which were next to each other.

"Finite Incantatem!" She shouted. Purple sparks shot out from the tip of her wand and hit the bludger just as it came smashing down, and the bloody thing exploded into nothing.

The Potters sighed in relief and Lily set her head back down on the ground. Harry did the same, only to recall the pain in his arm. He sat up and turned to his sister, and through painfully gritted teeth he asked, "Are you okay?"

Lily grinned, also in pain, "Mad flying skills, bro."

Fred, George, Hermione, Ron and even Hagrid were the first to reach the twins as the others crowded around. Fred and Geroge dismounted their brooms, letting them drop to the ground as they kneeled over the two.

"You shouldn't have done that!" Fred growled at Lily as he watched over her, making sure she was okay.

"Nah, I like your head on your body." Lily laughed, but then winced.

"Are you two okay?!" Hermione asked the Potters. Lily sat up, pushing through the pain ready to answer, as she saw Lockhart pushing through the crowd. Ugh, great, she thought with a sigh.

"Not to worry, you two. I can fix those broken bones immediately." Lockhart said.

"Uh-uh, I'm good." Lily nodded frantically, knowing that the man had the talent of a pea and emotional maturity of a blueberry muffin.

He seemed disappointed, but turned to her brother who was not as outspoken, "Not to worry then, Harry. I'll fix that arm of yours straight away."

"No... no... not you." Harry spluttered, glancing at Lily.

"Poor boy doesn't know what he's saying. This won't hurt a bit..." Lockhart twirled his wand and Harry closed his eyes.

"No!" Lily growled, attempting to surge forward to stop the brainless professor. But it was too late. Harry opened his eyes to see everyone's horror-stricken faces. His arm was no longer broken, because there were no bones to break! His wrist was completely boneless! Lily gagged as she watched his arm bend over.

"Ah. Yes. Well, that can sometimes happen. The point is, the bones are no longer broken." Lockhart recovered.

"Brok'n?" Hagrid growled, "He doesn't 'ave any bones at all!"

Harry looked at his arm that looked like an empty rubber glove.

"You bloody prat!" Lily scowled at the teacher who was awestricken by her insulting him. He waved it off with a charming smile to the crowd gathered around them. Now, who he hell messed with that bludger?!

***

In the hospital wing, Hermione, Ron and the Weasley twins stood by the Potters' beds. Madame Pomfrey was wrapping Lily's torso in bandages before she handed Harry a steaming cup of Skele-Grow. "He should have been brought straight to me! I can mend bones in a heartbeat -- but growing them back --" Madame Pomfrey ranted.

"You will be able to, won't you?" Hermione asked, interrupting her.

"I'll be able to, certainly, but it will be painful. You're in for a rough night, Mr. Potter. Regrowing bones is nasty business." She replied. Harry took the steaming cup and drank from it, grimacing, the boy did a spit tick of the Skelo-Grow, making a sour face; making Madame Pomfrey glare at him, "Well, what did you expect --pumpkin juice?"

Then, they were all blinded by a flash. Colin. We turned to see to annoying the little blonde boy eagerly holding up his camera.

"That was brilliant today, Harry, Lillian! Brilliant!" He beamed.

"Hey, Colin. Why don't you let the two rest?" Ron tried, pushing the first year towards the door.

"That goes for all of you. The Potters are in for a long night, you all need to let them heal." Madame Pomfrey added, directing the Gryffindors to the door, before she turned to Lily, "And you, Miss Potter, are in for a rough night, as well."

"I just have some broken ribs, Madame Pomfrey." she objected, not wanting to stay in here longer than needed.

"Nine, to be exact. They are set in the wrong place because the fall you encountered. I will need to rebreak them to set them in place." Lily paled, and suddenly felt sick. This was going to be a long, painful night, alright, she thought, gulping as she watched the retreating figures of her friends.
***

Lily had been awake for quite a while, staring at the ceiling. She turned to looked over at Harry, who seemed as though he were asleep, but as if by instinct, his eyes slowly fluttered open. Bored, she sat up, which took a moment because of the bandages tightly wound around her torso. Heads up, never break your ribs, it is painful as hell. Lily looked around, seeing only a few scattered beds were filled with injured or sick students. Then, she felt a sudden presence, and just as Lily did, Harry sat up and put his glasses on. Then that was when Lily saw the little figure; a house elf, to be exact.

"Dobby!" she exclaimed happily causing Harry to bolt upright.

"Harry and Lillian Potter came back to school. Dobby warned them. Harry and Lillian Potter should have listened to Dobby. Harry and Lillian Potter should have gone back home when Harry Potter missed the train." Dobby rambled without a hello. Well then.

"It was you!" Harry realized, as Dobby moved to stand between their beds, "You stopped the barrier from letting Ron and me through!

"Indeed yes, sir. Dobby hid and watched for Harry Potter and sealed the gateway. Dobby could not stop Lillian Potter in time." He nodded frantically.

"You nearly got Ron and me expelled!" Harry exclaimed.

"But that was the point, wasn't it?!" Lily realized.

"At least you would be away from here. Dobby figured if Harry Potter was expelled, Lillian Potter would go home, too." Dobby spluttered, "Harry and Lillian Potter must go home! Dobby thought his Bludger would be enough to make Harry Potter see --"

"WHAT?!" Lily shouted, shocked at the mere thought of the little house elf trying to kill them.

"Your Bludger? You made that Bludger chase after us?!" Harry growled in a whisper. The other kids were either too far away or too high up on medication to hear the trio talking, but that didn't stop Harry from being quiet.

"Dobby feels most aggrieved, sir." Dobby frowned, wiggling his fingers, "Dobby had to iron his hands..."

"You'd better clear off before my bones come back, Dobby, or I might strangle you!" Harry seethed as Lily glared immensely at the house elf.

Dobby smiled weakly, "Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home."

"I don't suppose you could tell us why you're trying to kill us?" she questioned him curtly.

"Not kill you, never kill you!" Dobby exclaimed, "Dobby remembers how it was before Harry and Lillian Potter triumphed over He Who Must Not Be Named. We house elves were treated like vermin, sir. Of course, Dobby is still treated like vermin..." Dobby suddenly became emotion, and honked his nose on the filthy pillowcase he wore.

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" Harry asked him with a sour expression.

"This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house elf's enslavement. Dobby can only be freed if his master presents him with clothes. The family is careful not to pass Dobby so much as a sock, sir, for then he would be free to leave their house forever." Dobby spoke, then his ears quivered as he detected footsteps and he then spoke in a whisper, "Terrible things are about to happen at Hogwarts! Harry and Lillian Potter must not stay here now that history is to repeat itself!"

"Repeat itself? You mean, this has happened before?" Lily questioned him before Dobby seized the bottle of Skele-Gro on the table in between the twins' beds and beat himself on the head with it.

"Tell us, Dobby? When did this happen before?--" Harry began.

"--Who's doing it now?" his sister finished.

"Dobby cannot say, sir. Dobby only wants Harry and Lillian Potter to be safe." Dobby whispered.

"Who is it?" she insisted but Dobby had heard the footsteps growing louder, and shrunk back.

"No, Dobby! Tell me!" Harry pleaded, but crack. Dobby was gone.

Harry slouched down into his bed in attempts to spy on whoever was approaching. It was multiple footsteps. Lily remained sitting up, she couldn't get in trouble for not being able to sleep, and besides, she was curious.

Many people emerged. Dumbledore entered in a nightcap and McGonagall in a tartan robe, heaving a small statue onto an empty bed. Wait... that's not a statue. If it was, then why would it be placed on the bed. No. This was a student. A petrified student!

Just then, Madam Pomfrey scurried in, "What's happened?" she asked.

Dumbledore spoke gravely, "There's been another attack."

Madam Pomfrey gasped, realizing it wasn't a statue. When McGonagall moved away, Lily realized it was Colin Creevey, his camera still clutched to his eye. Then, McGonagall spoke up, her voice wavering, "Perhaps he managed to get a picture of his attacker..."

Dumbledore pried the camera from Colin's petrified body and opened it only to have a jet of steam emerge from it. As Madam Pomfrey inspected the petrified first year, McGonagall looked to Dumbledore.

"What does this mean, Albus?" She asked sullenly.

"It means our students are in great danger, Minerva. Mr. Creevey was fortunate. If not for this..." Dumbledore spoke, holding up the camera, "He would surely be dead."

Professor McGonagall spotted Lily watching them, listening. However, she did not tell Dumbledore, or even say a word. It was as if she wanted her to hear this. Both of her and Harry.

"What should I tell the staff, Albus?"

"Tell them the truth. Tell them Hogwarts is no longer safe. Tell them it's as we feared. The Chamber of Secrets is indeed open again."

***

Two days later, Harry and Lily joined Ron and Hermione in the abandoned girls bathroom. It was rarely ever used because it was said to be haunted/occupied by a ghost by the name of Moaning Myrtle. Lily was sure 'Moaning' was not apart of her real name, but it served a purpose, alright. The four were sitting on the tiled floor. It was a gloomy place with cracked mirrors and chipped sinks, along with guttering candles.

They were huddled over a small, bubbling cauldron while Hermione and Lily added strange ingredients into it. The Potter twins were telling them about what were heard in the hospital wing last night. If this heir of Slytherin was coming after muggle-borns, whose to know who is the next target.

"Again? You mean, the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione questioned.

"Of course!" Ron exclaimed, "Don't you see? Lucius Malfoy must've opened it when he was at school here, and now he's told Draco how to do it."

"Maybe." Hermione huffed, "We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice Potion to know for sure."

"Enlighten me." Ron began, "Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight, in the middle of a girls' lavatory? Don't you think we'll get caught?"

Hermione suppressed a knowing laugh, "Never. No one over comes in here."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Moaning Myrtle." Lily informed the two boys causing the girls to exchange glances.

Ron knit his eyebrows together, "Who's Moaning Myrtle?" Lily mentally face-palmed Ron as a loud, piercing screen erupted throughout the large room. Then, the ghost of a young girl came racing out of the wall only to come face to face with Ron.

"I'm Moaning Myrtle!" Myrtle screeched in her very high, girly voice, but then grew sad, "I wouldn't expect you to know me. Who would ever talk about fat, ugly, miserable, moping, moaning
Myrtle?"

Myrtle sobbed loudly, before whizzing past Ron and diving head first into a nearby toilet. And that, my friend, is why the ghost is called 'Moaning Myrtle.'

Hermione cleared her throat, "She's a little sensitive." That's an understatement.

***

All the students had gathered into a larger, interactive DADA room meant for dueling. Having read a notice directly all second years to this room, they had just arrived when Lockhart stepped onto the dueling platform that was set up.

"Gather round! Gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent." Lockhart spoke up, "In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions -- for full details, see my published works."

The four of us stood in back of the crowd, and the boy next to Harry turned to him, beaming.

"That Lockhart's something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap." The boy said, then offered us his hand, in which we both shook it, "Justin Finch-Fletchley. Hufflepuff."

"Nice to meet you. I'm --" Harry began.

"I know who you two are. We all do. Even us Muggle-borns." Justin grinned. He then looked back to the stage where Professor Snape had joined Lockhart.

"Let me introduce my assistant Professor Snape." Lockhart gestured to Snape, who looked did not look happy in the least, "He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Lily scoffed to herself at that last part. Snape seemingly wanted to break the prat's neck and Lily knew Snape would win the demonstration duel.

"What's the fun in that?" Ron spoke up as they watched the demonstration.

Lockhart and Snape faced each other, then bowed. They turned, wakes ten paces, and then spun around, holding their wands out almost like swords.

"As you can see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells." Lockhart explained, "Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course.

Harry eyed Snape, "I wouldn't bet on that."

Lockhart counted down, "One-two-three--"

"Expelliarmus!" Snape casted. A flash a scarlet light bursted forth from Snape's wand and blasted Lockhart off of his feet and into the wall behind him. The sad part was that the spell was only meant to disarm him, but that just shows how much of an amateur he really was.

"Do you think he's all right?" Hermione asked us.

"Who cares?" Harry and Ron retorted in unison.

Lockhart rose unsteadily, "Well, there you have it. That was a Disarming Charm. As you see, I've lost my wand."

Hermione bent down and picked up his wand which had landed right by her feet, ironically.

"Ah, thank you, Miss Granger." He nodded, and turned to Snape to play off his failure, "Yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy."

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape spoke up in his usual cold manner.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?" Lockhart asked. The twins glanced at each other before turning back to Lockhart.

"Which one?" they asked in unison.

"Miss Potter." He flashed me a smile but Lily just forced one on my face.

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Miss Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house." Snape spoke, eyeing her, "Malfoy, perhaps."

She knew what he was doing. Lily had visited him after DADA class twice where he taught her defensive and offensive spells. He wanted to see if they were paying off. However, her brother and Malfoy made eye contact, glaring at each other and Malfoy and the Potter girl took the stage. He smirked at her, but she could see slight apprehension in his eyes. Good.

"Scared, Potter?" He mocked, none-the-less.

"You wish." she narrowed her eyes at him as they bowed. The two then turned and wakes ten paces just as had been demonstrated earlier. Lily caught sight of Harry, Hermione and Ron who were on edge. She pushed her red hair back, and then whirled around, her wand poised.

"Wands at the ready! When I count to three, cast your charms to disarm your opponent -- only to disarm. We don't want any accidents. One, two,--" Lockhart was cut off by Malfoy, who had cheated and casted early.

"Expelliarmus!" Draco shouted. White sparks shot out from his wand, but Lily quickly reacted, much to everyone's surprise.

"Protego!" she casted. Draco's spell rebounded from her as she defected it and hit him instead, knocking him to his feet as he was unprepared. The spell was meant to deflect and rebound and spell coming her way when fast enough. He was knocked from his feet because he was too distracted in thinking he had this round.

"Excellent!" Lockhart smiled.

"Expelliarmus!" Lily chanted, and quickly disarmed Draco when he stood. A student in the crowd caught the wand and threw it back to him as Snape shoved Malfoy forward to continue to round two.

"Rictusempra!" Malfoy spat as Lily quickly deflected the spell, but Malfoy was getting nasty now. "Serpensortia!" he chanted again.

To her horror, the tip of Malfoy's wand exploded and a long black snake slithered forth. Snape smiled with amusement at the boy's cheating, but that went away when he saw the look upon Lily's face.

"Don't move, Miss Potter. I'll get rid of it for you." Snape strode forward.

"Allow me!" Lockhart cleared his throat. He flicked his wand and the snake flew into the air, hissing in rage. Lockhart only made it worse, for now the snake was bigger, and lifted its front from the ground, hissing. It slithered straight towards Justin Finch-Fletchley, making students began to scream and the snake readied itself to strike at Justin, who was frozen with fear. But Lily's brother, oddly calm, approached the snake.

"Harry?" she checked as he stared at the snake.

It was almost as if he hissed his words, "Leave him!" The snake considered Harry's eyes, before it turned back to Justin.

"LEAVE HIM!" Harry hissed. Everyone's eyes were as wide as saucers, and to Lily's confusion, even Hermione and Ron were staring at Harry. The snake hovered for a moment and then slumped to the floor. Harry blinked, and if coming out of a trance. Lily also snapped out of the moment and looked to see Professor Snape's bewildered face.

"What are you two playing at?" Justin asked, fear laced in his voice as he backed away. The twins eyed the faces around them. Malfoy looked shocked, and Seamus's and Neville's eyes fluttered with fear. Even Ginny bolted out of the room. Snape waved his wand and the snake vanished in a puff of black smoke. He looked at the Potters with a look that was both shrewd and calculating.

"What's going on?" Lily asked lowly, looking around and the terrified faces as she jumped off the stage next to her brother, "He was trying to bait the snake to get him away from Justin...?"

Ron and Hermione surged forward, with Hermione grabbing Lily's arm and Ron grabbing Harry's.

"Come on. Move. Now." Ron told them and as they exited the room and rushed to the Gryffindor common room. Ron and Hermione ushered them inside. Lily glanced up from the top of the stairs to see Ginny staring down at them and as their eyes met, she turned for the girl's dormitory. "You two are Parselmouths! Why didn't you tell us?" Ron asked frantically as the quartet was now alone.

"I'm a what?" Harry asked, eyeing his sister.

"No, that's impossible." Lily muttered.

"You can talk to snakes." Hermione said, and then turned to her redheaded friend, "And by the looks of it, Lily is a Parselmouth, too."

"I know. I mean, I accidentally set a python on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once. But so what? I bet loads of people here can do it." Harry replied, Lily off to the side, frantically thinking, this was not happening. Maybe we really were destined for Slytherin.

"No. They can't. It's not a very common gift." Hermione informed the two, "This is bad."

"What's bad? If I hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin--" Harry began.

"Oh, that's what you said to it." Ron realized, glancing at Lily for reassurance.

"You were there! You heard me!" Harry exclaimed.

"I heard you speaking Parseltongue. Snake language." Ron explained slowly, as if he were talking to a child.

"I spoke a different language? But I didn't realize -- how can I speak a language without knowing I can?" Harry asked, turning to his sister, "Did you understand me?"

"Completely." Lily nodded.

"I don't know, Harry. But it sounded like you were egging the snake on or something. It was...creepy." Hermione replied, licking her dry lips.

Gryffindors began streaming into the room, eyeing the Potter twins warily. Even Seamus, Dean and Neville walked by without a word.

"Harry, Lily, listen to me. There's a reason the symbol of Slytherin house is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth. He could talk to snakes, too." Hermione spoke lowly.

"Exactly. And now the whole school's going to think you two his great-great-great grandchildren or something." Ron nodded.

"But we're not. We... can't be." Harry spluttered.

"He lived a thousand years ago. For all we know... you could be." Hermione sighed.

"But we were out into Gryffindor. If...if we were, wouldn't we automatically be placed into Slytherin...?" Lily spoke up.

"It's possible." Hermione nodded, "But the Sorting Hat does not make any mistakes." Lily could no longer stand it. She felt as if the room was closing in on her, and her plams began to sweat.

"Lily, are you okay?" Ron asked her as she continued to pale.

"Oi, Lily!" they heard the twins shout behind her, she needed to get out of here, she needed to get out now!

"I can't breathe in here." Lily heaved, rushing past them and running out of the common room with many staring after her, including the confused Weasley twins.

***

Lily raced down the corridors, with no destination in mind. She needed space and time away from prying and judging faces. What if I was placed in the wrong house? What if I was in Slytherin? What if I was meant to be as vile and cruel as Malfoy and his father? her thoughts plagued the poor Gryffindor as she ran down the hallway, pushing past students, and even crossed paths with a few teachers. Only one teacher took notice to her distraught face and her emerald eyes which were welling up with tears. Snape.

"Miss Potter?" He asked, but she didn't stop, she continued running, "Miss Potter?!" Turning a corner, and running into the abandoned girl's bathroom which Moaning Myrtle occupied. Letting the tears fall, Lily walked towards a sink and braced her hands on either side of it as she stared at my reflection in the mirror. What if I was living a lie and didn't even know it. What if this Lily who I was now staring in the mirror was not meant to be? her thoughts continued. Unable to muffle her sobs, the ghost girl appeared, flying through the wall as she had last time.

"Upset, I see?" she noted causing Lily to look up at her and frown, "I'll leave you be and come back later."

Lily turned the faucet on as Myrtle disappeared through another wall. The running water drowned out her cries as she watched it flow. All her life, Lily has felt alone and now she is not only alone, but she's singled out among the rest in a solace where she thought she finally belonged.

"Lillian?" A soft feminine voice spoke up. Lily hadn't heard anyone enter, so her head snapped up to see Professor McGonagall herself.

"Oh, hello, Professor." the Potter girl tried to mask her tears, hastily wiping them away, but the professor had walked up behind her, placed her hands on the student's shoulders.

"It is worse to hide your emotions, Lillian. You will bottle them up, and then one day it will be too much to handle." She told her.

Lily looked down and sighed, "How did you know I was in here?"

"Professor Snape was concerned when he saw you running through the corridors." She informed, "He's quite nice despite his demeanor. Now, what is the matter?"

"Haven't you heard what happened in Dueling Club today? It's most likely traveling about the school now."

"Yes. Your brother... he is a parcel tongue, yes?"

"So am I, Professor." Lillian replied, "How can I be such a thing and not know it?!"

"Let's take a stroll, shall we?" Professor McGonagall suggested. Lily followed her out of the bathroom and through the corridors until they had reached the courtyard. It was a little past noon, but the courtyard was empty because most students were in the great hall for lunch.

"Lillian, us witches and wizards are a great many things. Discovering those things are what we live for." she spoke.

"Parcelmouthes are evil...hated. They usually descend from Salazar Sytherin's bloodline, meaning I do, too. What if I was destined for Slytherin more so than Gryffindor? What if I'm living a lie...and I'm no good?" the redhead spluttered.

"Since I first met you, Lillian Potter, I have watched you discover what great things you are. Would you like to hear them?"

She nodded, not knowing what she was getting at.

"You are a sweet and caring person. You are an excellent Keeper in Quidditch. You are protective of those close to you, and will go to whatever length to protect them from harm's way." she explained, "It is those qualities that make you not only a Gryffindor, but they make you exactly who you are...you. The house you are sorted into does not determine the person you are to be. It is meant to tell you the kind of person you already are and will continue to grow to be."

"And speaking to snakes...?" Lily cleared my throat.

"Your ability to communicate with snakes only tells of your past. Snakes are not always evil, but are singled out as such. If I am correct, your brother used his ability as a parcelmouth to keep that snake from striking a boy, meaning he used it for good. I have a feeling you would do the same." she continued, "You fear what other may think of you because of your ability, but you must remember you have so many people --friends-- who are always there for you."

"Then why do I feel so alone?"

"That will pass." the professor smiled reassuringly, "In all my years, I have never seen anyone as mature and brave as you are. Your parents would be proud. Remember that."

"Thank you, Professor." Lily managed a smile. "Thank you. Truly."

***

Lily made her way back to the common room, which was empty. By the time she came back, everyone was either in the courtyard or in their dormitories. As the girl ascended the stairs, she was met by two identical red heads.

"Are you okay?" George asked.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"You can't lie to us, Red." Fred crossed his arms.

"I'm fine, guys." she sighed, and attempted to move past them. They, however, remained as still as statues with their feet planted into the floor.

"We tried to do this the easy way." George mumbled.

They proceeded to lift Lily off her feet, and together they dragged her as she flailed around in their arms into the room in which Hermione, Ginny and her all slept. They set her down on her chest that was placed against the bottom of the bed, and stood before the Potter girl, crossing their arms.

"Gits." she muttered.

"What aren't you telling us?" Fred asked.

"Nothing." Lily persisted.

"Spill, Little Red." George demanded.

"I'm a Parselmouth." Lily told them slowly.

They glanced at each other before turning back to her, "We know that."

"But that isn't what's bothering you." George said, "Now stop stalling, because we will find out one way or the other."

"Is it Malfoy? Are you being bullied?" Fred asked, "Because no one bullies our Lily and get away with it--"

"No!" Lily shouted, and then huffed, "Harry and I...we've been hearing voices."

"Voices?" They asked in unison.

"Yeah. That night when we found the writing on the wall and Filch's cat, Harry and I had been following a voice. But Hermione and Ron couldn't hear it." she tried to explain.

"Why not?" Fred asked.

"I don't know." she shrugged, "I don't think I want to."

"Well, we will start a looking around for some answers." George reassured.

"Yeah. But next time, don't keep secrets from us." Fred nodded, "We're best friends; as thick as thieves. We tell each other everything."

"Yeah." Lily nodded glumly, "I suppose we do."

***

Most of the students were all in the study hall. It was quiet apart from the sound of quills scribbling against parchment. Lily glanced at Harry and watched as he looked up at Ron. He smiled at Harry, and then only seconds later, Hermione did the same. But something was forced about it all. Harry couldn't bear it, and honestly, neither could she. He fathered his books into his arms and got up from the table. Hermione and Ron watched as Lily followed behind him, wanting to support her brother so he wouldn't feel alone.

She followed Harry as they walked through the isle, and noticed students glance up at them. They met Lily and Harry's gazes, and then quickly looked away. Even Madame Pince, who was the teacher on duty, eyed them from her desk.

Sitting at the end of the table was Ginny, who was the only one who did look up. Instead, she was scribbling in the same leather-bound, black book Lily had seen the other day. Oddly enough, she was paled and seemed very tired, Lily looked onwards, making a mental note to ask her how she was doing later. Harry walked a little ways ahead of her, but Lily knew he heard the conversations going on as they walked past.

"So, anyway, I told Justin to hide up in our dormitory. I mean to say, if the Potters have marked him down as their next victim, it's best to keep a low profile for a while." Lily heard a boy named Ernie tell his friend when the Potter twins went out into the aisle.

"But why would they want to attack Justin?" his friend, Hannah, replied.

Ernie scoffed as if the answer was obvious, "Justin let it slip to the Potters that he was Muggle-born."

"And you definitely think the Potters are the Heirs of Slytherin?" she inquired.

"Hannah, they're Parselmouthes. Everyone knows that's the mark of a dark wizard. Have you ever heard of a decent one who could talk to snakes? They called Slytherin himself Serpent-tongue." Ernie whispered, "Remember what was written on the wall: Enemies of the Heir Beware. The Potters had some sort of run-in with Filch. Next thing we know, Filch's cat's attacked. That first-year Creevey's been annoying the Potters. Then Creevey's attacked."

"They always seem so nice, though." Hannah objected, "And, after all, they are the ones who made You Know Who disappear."

"That's probably why You Know Who wanted to kill him in the first place. Didn't want another Dark Lord competing with him."

Lily looked at her brother and saw his miserable expression. It was then that she could not bear another word.

"You're all bloody prats, the lot of you!" Lily shouted, causing everyone to look up. She gripped her books and slammed them down on the table next to Ernie, which she knew did not help her case but she was too angry to stop. "If you have such amazing theories about things you don't even know, then say them. Please, I beg of you. I would just love to hear what idiotic, senseless things you have to say!" Lily growled, "You're judging us for things you haven't a clue about! Bullies, that's what you are!" Storming out of the study hall with Harry grabbing onto her robes so he could keep up, the two turned a few corridors quietly before they ran into, Hagrid. The tall giant stood covered in snow, his scruffy beard wet and in his hand he held a dead rooster.

When he saw the twins, he quirked an eyebrow, "All righ', you two?"

"Hagrid... what're you doing here?" Harry questioned, waving his previous question off.

He held up the rooster, "Second one killed this term. Reckon it's either foxes or a Blood-Suckin' Bugbear. Need Dumbledore's permission ter put a charm round the hen-coop." He looked over at Lily, who was still fuming, "Yeh sure yeh're all righ'? Yeh both look all hot an' bothered."

" It's nothing." she reassured him.

"Yeah." Harry added, "We'd better get going. We've got a lot of studying..."

Hagrid nodded and they bid him farewell before ascending down a stairwell. They were heading towards the common room when they turned a corridor of which all of the torches had been blown out. Slowing in their pace, Lily flinched at the rattling of a window against the harsh wind outside. Harry stepped closer, and she followed suit only for them to find Justin-Finch-Fletchley. He was laying rigidly on the floor, a look of shock was frozen on his face. Nearby, the ghost, Nearly Headless Nick floated, his body emitting black smoke. Lily gasp, staring in horror at the sight. Harry turned to see a trail of spiders scuttling away from Justin's petrified body and out of the loose window pane. Lily was standing with her back to the corridor wall when Harry spoke up.

"Professor, we swear we didn't --" Harry spluttered.

Professor McGonagall looked at both of them and sighed, "This is out of my hands, Potter. Mr. Filch, will you take care of this, please?"

Lily's eyes shifted and she saw Filch lurking just past McGonagall. He stepped forwards and hissed quietly, grinning, "Caught in the act. I'll have you out this time, Potters. Mark my words..." As McGonagall lead Harry and Lily away, the redhead glanced back at Filch who was staring at the ghost and the petrified boy. "Dark magic. That's what you've got, Potters. Even the air you breathe comes out poison. You're evil. Evil as they come..." Filch muttered.

The duo followed McGonagall into Gargoyle Corridor. The Weasley twins and Lily called it gargoyle corridor because there was an archway that held a large, ugly statue of a Gargoyle that supposedly lead to the headmaster's office. They were never able to pull any pranks here.

"Sherbet Lemon." Professor McGonagall spoke, as if it were a password. It was, Lily supposed, for the Gargoyle statue sprung to life, opening its wings. "Professor Dumbledore will be waiting for you." she told the two as she ushered them inside, and by magic, stone steps appeared and began to escalate up in a spiral. Harry and Lily stepped on them, and allowed them to take them up. When they soon reached the top, the twins stepped out and were met with two grand doors, left widely ajar; however off to the side there was a purple umbrella with yellow spots and a pair of purple rain boots that looked as if it had been ages since they were last used. Harry glanced at his sister before they slipped into a large, circular room. It was quite a sight; like the office of a philosopher. Strange silver instruments whirred quietly about the room. But what caught Lily's eyes was the mangy sorting hat, sitting on a nearby shelf. Harry casted a wary eye at the portraits of past headmasters snoozing around them. The last portrait, however, had one headmaster reading a book, oddly enough.

"Bee in your bonnet, Potters?" The sorting hat spoke.

"Well, you see, we were wondering..." Harry began.

"If I put you in the right house?" The hat questioned knowingly, "Yes... you two were particularly difficult to place. But I stand by what I said last year... you both would have done well in Slytherin."

"You're wrong!" Harry snapped. The hat sat motionless once again. Lily then turned towards a weak, vibrant-red feathered bird that was perched on a golden perch. A Phoenix. She was a beauty, but she seemed ill, and we could hear her gag. Lily caressed her with two fingers, and she leaned into the redhead's hand. Smiling, before the phoenix began to wobble unsteadily, and in an instant, Lily retracted her hand quickly as the poor creature burst into flames. Lily gaped at the ashes of the bird in horror.

"Professor, your bird... we couldn't do anything... He just caught fire." Harry spluttered as the two saw Dumbledore descending the stairs.

"About time too. He's been looking dreadful for days. Pity you had to see him on a Burning Day. He's really very handsome most of the time." Dumbledore spoke, and off of the twin's confused looks, he explained, "Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry, Lillian. Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes." She turned back to the floor where the ashes had fallen, and they began to swirl, she watched in amazement as a baby Fawkes poked his wrinkled head from the ashes, blinking thought the dust. Smiling, Lily bent down and stroked the now baby Fawkes with one finger.

Dumbledore smiled, "Fascinating creatures, phoenixes. They can carry immensely heavy loads, their tears have healing powers, and they make highly
faithful pets."

Just then, Hagrid --who was still clutching the dead rooster-- burst through the doors Harry and Lily had previously entered through. "It wasn't Harry and Lily, Professor Dumbledore!" He exclaims

"Hagrid --" Dumbledore tried to cut in, however he was unsuccessful.

"I was talkin' ter 'em jus' before that kid was found. It can't've been 'em!" The friendly giant persisted.

"Hagrid --"

"I'll swear ter it in front o' the Ministry o' Magic --"

"HAGRID!" Dumbledore spoke a bit louder, catching the half-giant's attention, "I do not think that Harry and Lillian have attacked anyone."

"Oh. Right." Hagrid nods embarrassedly. If he did not have such a scruffy beard, Lily knew the trio would be able to see his red cheeks. None the less, he seemed proud that he had stood up for the twins anyway, "I'll wait outside then."

"You don't think it was us, Professor?" Lily questioned the wise man hopefully.

"No, Harry, Lillian. But I must ask you...is there anything you'd like to tell me?" He asked us, as if he knew something, "Anything at all?"

Dumbledore waited as Harry debated. Lily simply averted her emerald eyes from his, feeling guilty. Finally, Harry spoke for them.

"No, Professor. Nothing." He lied. Dumbledore knew he had lied, but nodded in understanding.

"Alright, then. Off to bed." He nodded making them nod and turn to exit. Now Lily knew they had no other choice: they had to use the polyjuice potion soon, or else more people will be petrified; and in order to do so, Lily must do what she did best: team up with Fred and George.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 337 21
Hermione lay bleeding on the grass, holding a hand to the bloody stump that was once Fred Weasley's arm. Fred gazed back at her, begging for some sor...
74.5K 1.4K 23
'𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒇𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒏.' --- Elaine Weasley, the twin sister of Ginny Weasley and in Slytherin house. Join her on her journ...
42.9K 921 23
"SLYTHERIN!" Y/n Lily Potter and her older brother ("By five minutes!" -Y/n) have never even heard of Hogwarts until on their eleventh birthday when...
545K 6.5K 68
Draco Malfoy love story. Friendship, smut, love, hate, trauma, broken hearts. MATURE CONTENT! 15+ ~ "You make me feel like I'm stuck, Emelia! Like I'...