Sweet Epiphany

By imperfectdreamer

Eighteen year-old Zach Curtis has lost everything: his girlfriend, his job and his scholarship. Nothing in th... More

Author's Note
Sweet Epiphany: Prologue
Chapter One: A Timid Introduction
Chapter Two: Like the Winter Snow
Chapter Three: Little Brown
Chapter Four, 1/2: Law of Attraction
Chapter Four, 2/2: Law of Attraction
Chapter Five: Glenworth Support Group
Chapter Six: The Fault in Her Stars
Chapter Seven: Speak of the Devil
Chapter Eight: Breaking her Shell
Chapter Nine: His Ghost
Chapter Ten: Mesmeric Blue
Chapter Eleven: Her Secret
Chapter Twelve: The Flyer Guy
Chapter Thirteen: His Butterfly
Chapter Fifteen: Improvements
Chapter Sixteen: Developments
Chapter Seventeen: The Night She Realized
Chapter Eighteen: Little Overthinker
Chapter Nineteen: Hostility in Disguise
Chapter Twenty: The Extraordinary Ordinary
Chapter Twenty-One: His Mistake
Chapter Twenty-Two: Not All Wounds Bleed
Chapter Twenty-Three: Patience
Chapter Twenty-Four: Two Seconds
Chapter Twenty-Five: Terra
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Aftermath, 1/2
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Karma, But Not Really
Chapter Twenty-Eight: More Than an Impulse
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Bittersweet
Chapter Thirty: Cupid's First Arrow
Chapter Thirty-One: Abby
Chapter Thirty-Two: Sunday Mornings
Chapter Thirty-Three: Spinning Bottles
Chapter Thirty-Four: Midnight
Chapter Thirty-Five: Closer
Chapter Thirty-Six: Luke
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Ambivalence
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Before the Storm
Chapter Thirty-Nine: His Apology
Chapter Forty: Zach
Chapter Forty-One: Okay
Chapter Forty-Two: The Aftermath, 2/2
Chapter Forty-Three: Recovery
Chapter Forty-Four: Serendipity
Chapter Forty-Five: Three in the Morning
Chapter Forty-Six: How to Love
Chapter Forty-Seven: Sweet Epiphany
Sweet Epiphany: Epilogue
A Message From Me To You
Credits and Extras

Chapter Fourteen: Blind

7K 423 34
By imperfectdreamer

– Zach –

We arrive at Cody's thirty minutes later than the intended time. I wouldn't admit it, but I was secretly hoping for Terra to give up looking so we can have an excuse to go home. Upon seeing all the smiley faces, I am beginning to feel exhausted, and the night hasn't started.

We are ushered to the living room, spacious and bright, and we take a seat on the couch next to where everyone else is. Penelope is nervously fidgeting as she screens through the piece of paper in her hands. That's probably her script.

Okay, now what?

I glance at Terra, who seems to be semi-excited by just being in the presence of others. Looking at her only causes the nagging voices in my head to resurface again. I have questions to ask, but there's no easy way to phrase it.

Was she with James last night?

Annoyed at myself, I look away and suppress a sigh. I don't know why I care. To begin with, Terra isn't obliged to tell me anything, and I wouldn't even pry since I normally wouldn't even be curious enough. She can hang out with James, it is entirely her choice, even if he is forcing her to go places she would refuse to go such as that shady nightclub.

But that's what I can't ignore. What other reasons could there be for a man to force a girl into a nightclub at an hour past midnight?

He had slick black hair, he was tall and well-built. She had loose wavy brown curls, dressed in an oversized sweater. An oversized sweater, like the one Terra is wearing now.

Do I still turn a blind eye?

"How is your hand?" Terra beams at me, throwing me off guard. I had completely forgotten about it.

"It's healing." I reply, and I watch her eyes trace the bumps on my knuckles.

I didn't think she would ask me about it the first time, and I was hoping that she wouldn't notice, but she doesn't seem like the kind that would be oblivious especially to the people around her. I was relieved when she didn't persist to ask me how it happened, unlike ninety-five percent of the people I meet. How do you explain to someone about punching the wall at five in the morning out of pure frustration? There is no way I can mention that without brewing even more questions.

"Good." She says, and I'm not sure what's good about it. It isn't her hands that are bruised, it is mine. "You know, I was beginning to worry that you were involved in some kind of mafia operation." She laughs, then stops when she realizes her own words. "You're not, are you?"

"No." I answer.

"I-I mean, I won't judge." She shrugs gawkily.

"No."

"Okay." She sighs in relief. "Because if you are, I wouldn't know what to do, actually."

"Just stop hanging out with me." I say like it is obvious, but she looks at me like I've said something crazy.

"I can't do that." Terra pulls a surprised look. "Of course, we're going to have to think of some other ways to get you out of it, because y'know, it's not safe."

But why would she care?

She looks at me with her clear green eyes, eyes that are barely clouded by an oppressive reality, eyes that still bear much innocence, but they are also the eyes that hide the most secrets. I know, only because I've seen them before.

Why is it okay that she can ask me how I'm doing so easily, when I can't even mutter a simple hello?

Maybe I can. I just don't want to.

"How would you get me out of it if it were true?" I ask her instead.

She rubs her chin slowly, thinking long and hard. "Well, I'm going to have to use force."

"How?"

"Well, obviously you're not going to just quit because I tell you to, right?" she chuckles. "Then I'll have to barge into your door and give you some mean beat down until you agree to stop, something like that."

"Sounds like a plan." I say woodenly.

"It'll work." She grins, nodding to herself. "I doubt you'll get badly hurt though, but hey, don't look down on these guns." She gestures, flexing her tiny arms. I wonder if she realizes how I can't see anything when her sweater swallows her like that.

I don't understand it myself, but there's something about her. Maybe it's the way she converses, or the way her animated gestures make up for her miniature frame, or simply the way she's awkwardly honest, whatever it is, there's something about her that amuses me. It is because of this that I don't mind her company at all.

"What if you need some getting out yourself?" I ask slowly, and I realize it made less sense compared to how it sounded in my head.

"Eh?" she frowns.

"If you're the one who is stuck somewhere that isn't safe." I elaborate, and she clamps her mouth shut. "What if you need to get out?"

Her hands drop to her side as she tucks them into her long sleeves. "I'll get out, somehow." She smiles, but there is a hint of uncertainty. "I don't know, maybe someone might barge into my room instead, although I'd really...rather that not happen."

"What if it's a gentle knock?" I ask.

"Then..." she pauses to ponder for a brisk moment. "...I wouldn't mind." She shifts slightly, and we share a short silence. "Ah, what a symbolic conversation. Is this what you get when you talk to an artist?"

"Maybe." I shrug and she cracks up.

Our conversation gets interrupted when Daniel initiates an announcement.

"Penny's going to start practising her recital, are we ready?" he asks the room excitedly, and I'm still finding it difficult to match their enthusiasm. I'm rather convinced I never will, and that's okay.

"Let's hear it." Samuel says, taking a mouthful of popcorn. Why is there popcorn?

Daniel scoots away from the imaginary spotlight to provide space for Penelope, and everyone starts clapping and cheering as if they are in some kind of small concert, and she's the performer. Cody cups his hands in front of his mouth and starts hooting.

Penelope looks nervous as she clasps her hands tightly in front of her, her knuckles turning white. Her eyes dart to the ground and she lifts her head delicately, holding a deep breath.

"The Road not Taken, by Robert Frost." She squeaks, shortly before she launches into the poem.

Her voice is airy, her words quivering as she musters the little courage she has to speak. Some start cheering for her when she hesitates out of fear, encouraging her to move forward, one word at a time. Her voice projects better as she nears her final lines, and there's a loud applause when she is done. She looks around shyly, managing a small crooked smile.

"See, that wasn't so bad." Cody is the first to comment, somehow, proud of his partner's achievements. To feel proud for someone, I wonder how that feels.

"Again, again!" Kacey cheers hyperactively, and I can only question how someone can garner so much enthusiasm for an English recital. I question the members of GSG in general, I realize that. The contrast between them and the people who I was acquainted to is astounding. Will any of them understand that?

It doesn't matter. I'd rather they don't.

Her practice goes on for an hour, then two, and almost three with short breaks and lighthearted chats in between. I mostly just listened, which was what I preferred, not Terra though. She's everywhere, exchanging friend requests faster than I can stifle a yawn.

The gathering is wrapped up just half an hour before midnight. Based on the club's routine, Daniel ends the session with general club announcements, not before thanking Cody for lending us his space and also Penelope, who in return thanked all of us with her usual small voice.

We all make our way towards the exit after exchanging farewells and I allow everyone to leave first before I do, because it's less exhausting like that.

"Thanks for coming, Zach." Daniel pats me on the shoulder, and I can't help but feel like it is an exclusive thanks for reasons unknown.

"Yeah, it's nice to have new faces around." Cody grins. "Penny already knows the rest of us, so it's more realistic like that."

"Glad I can help." I answer.

"Thanks for having us!" Terra hops in front of us, waving her hands vigorously. "It was fun." At least she can make up for my lack of enthusiasm.

We leave eventually and it is a natural instinct to walk Terra home first, considering the fact we were dangerously lost before this. But that isn't the only reason why I'm doing it.

This side of the city is certainly quieter than some might prefer. I feel a familiar chill down my spine and I brush it away instantly. Quiet nights like these only spell devious businesses in the dark.

Ten minutes into walking, she abruptly stops and I stop with her.

"You don't have to walk me back, you can go ahead from here." Terra instructs suddenly. "It's pretty late, after all."

"That's even more of a reason why you shouldn't be walking alone." I say.

"Nah, I'll be fine." She says and turns to look at me. "Don't worry, I know where I am, I won't get lost again."

"Are you sure?" I ask uncertainly.

"Yup." She replies with a wide grin. "Seriously, it's fine, I walk home by myself all the time. Thanks for keeping me company, but you should go."

I think for a moment before I decide to reply. Terra seems rather adamant about making me leave, but then again, she isn't the type that needs company. I dismiss the thoughts.

"Alright." I say finally. "I'll see you next week."

"Mm-hmm." She nods, appearing pleased. "Bye."

I watch as she walks further and further away, gradually disappearing from sight.

As soon as I turn my heel to leave, a small feeling of unease starts crawling into my mind. I chose to listen to her and let her walk home herself. I seem to have completely forgotten why I decided to walk her home to begin with. It isn't just the potential dangers lurking in the dark corners of this city, it's a potential man, a man who I'm beginning to suspect is just as dangerous.

I stop on my tracks and begin second-guessing myself. I don't do that often, but I'm doing that now.

I'm such an idiot.

xxx

Chapter visual credit: Tumblr, anonymous

A/N: It's hard to NOT slap Zach when I was writing this, LOL, but he has a careless personality like that.

This chapter goes out to saminaassia, thank you for your support from my other works all the way to SE, I really appreciate it and I'm blessed to have someone encouraging like you on wattpad :D

Anywho, I've recently started tweaking the covers of my stories, what do you guys think? I'm trying to have a more consistent format for all of them, just thought I'd mention it, even though I realize now that it's kind of redundant but OH WELL :D LOVE YOU GUYS BYE <3

imperfectdreamer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.2K 3.8K 45
Imagine having to go through something so horrifying that no one thought you could ever be the same. Then someone comes along to prove them wrong. F...
6.3K 1.2K 39
Reviewed in "Read It 'Cause It's Teen Fic" By The RoundTable. "Whatever you do, don't crack. If you crack, you fail. " Cracking means you're breaking...
1.6M 101K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...
8.6K 244 32
When you, Luna, had lost your family and all of your money when you were young. What would you do? Your grandmother helped you moved into a another h...