The Shadows That Dwell Within...

By BelleRee

Three bounty hunters, dubbed The Warrior Queens, must find Erebus, a criminal mastermind who has been unleas... More

Chapter 1 - Adelaide
Chapter 2 - Rosaline
Chapter 3 - Victoria
Chapter 4 - Adelaide
Chapter 5 - Rosaline
Chapter 6 - Victoria
Chapter 7 - Adelaide
Chapter 8 - Rosaline
Chapter 9 - Victoria
Chapter 10 - Adelaide
Chapter 11 - Rosaline
Chapter 13 - Adelaide
Chapter 14 - Rosaline
Chapter 15 - Victoria
Chapter 16 - Adelaide
Chapter 17 - Rosaline
Chapter 18 - Victoria
Chapter 19 - Adelaide
Chapter 20 - Kiyan
Chapter 21 - Rosaline
Chapter 22 - Victoria
Chapter 23 - Adelaide
Chapter 24 - Rosaline
Chapter 25 - Victoria
Chapter 26 - Adelaide
Chapter 27 - Rosaline
Chapter 28 - Victoria
Chapter 29 - Adelaide
Chapter 30 - Rosaline
Chapter 31 - Victoria
Chapter 32 - Adelaide
Chapter 33 - Rosaline
Chapter 34 - Victoria
Chapter 35 - Adelaide
Chapter 36 - Rosaline
Chapter 37 - Dominic
Chapter 38 - Victoria
Chapter 39 - Kiyan
Chapter 40 - Rosaline
Chapter 41 - Adelaide

Chapter 12 - Victoria

147 14 2
By BelleRee

Victoria marched along the dock and up the street towards the AIA headquarters. The building dwarfed the rest of the city that gleamed in the sunlight. It didn't look that different from Concordia's capital, Havensborough. There were fewer cars but more boats in the docks. It wasn't the dull grey country people had made it out to be. Still, Victoria wouldn't be sad to leave it. She had told Ritchie to prepare the ship back home first thing in the morning. Victoria hadn't wanted to waste any time.

She had received some strange looks on her way to the docks. Of course she had been recognised more than a few times before but that didn't she was used to it. It didn't mean she was more comfortable with it.

When Victoria arrived back in AIA headquarters, the Falcons were waiting for her in reception. They were already dressed in uniform. Concordians in their blue uniforms and Amiticians in their red uniforms. Victoria was startled to realise the uniforms were exactly the same, except from the colour and the logo.

Everyone dragged their suitcases behind them and throwing them into the carriage outside. Victoria was about to run up to her room, when she was stopped by a frowning Maxwell. He dropped her suitcase at her feet, just missing her toes.

"I hope you're happy" Maxwell snapped.

His face was set into a sneer. He reminded Victoria of a bully she knew back in the orphanage. The one who locked her in cupboards and pushed her in the mud. Victoria vowed she would never let herself be bullied again. She put her hands on her hips and tried to make herself look as tall as possible.

"I think you'll find I voted against all this" Victoria said.

Maxwell just shook his head. "This is why we have leaders. People need guidance, not the chance to doom themselves".

Victoria stared at Maxwell but there was no humour in his eyes. He was being serious. It was only now that Victoria could understand how people could support the king, if more people were like Maxwell. But didn't she agree with him? How many times had Victoria rolled her eyes at someone's poor decision making or gave someone orders because they didn't know any better? After all, if were up to Victoria, they would never be leaving Amiticia.

Victoria tried to ignore her bitter thoughts as she climbed into the carriage. Unlike the one they arrived in, this carriage only had enough space for six people to sit on the seats. Luckily, there was only six people left.

"How do we plan to put these wards up?" Raymond asked. "It's not like they teach that kind of magic in school. At least not in Amiticia".

"No. It's really something that only a priest would know" Victoria said.

"I bet Adelaide would know how to do it" Rosaline said quietly.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's get to the nearest temple" Nicholas said.

"I doubt they'd help if they believe its sacrilege" Victoria said.

"Plus the temples are almost devoted to the king as they are to the angels" Cecelia said. Maxwell shot her a poisonous look. "What? It's true".

"Not all Enchanters work in temples. And not all are faithful to the law" Rosaline said.

"Are you suggesting we sought out a Conjuror?" Raymond asked.

Even the word sent a shiver up Victoria's spine. Conjurors were Enchanters who used forbidden magic for money. Or maybe to cause pain. People who went there were desperate and usually ended up worse off.

"I don't want to mess around with a Conjuror. They're tricksters" Cecelia quivered.

"We're not going to" Maxwell said.

Rosaline's eyebrows scrunched together and her frown deepened. She looked like a child who'd just been told to go to bed without supper. Her anger might have been comical if you didn't know what she was capable of. Rosaline was probably one of the sweetest girls Victoria knew, but she was merciless with her enemies.

"What else do you suggest?" Rosaline snapped.

Maxwell took a moment to look pensive. Then he said:

"We convince the king to let us put wards up. Once we get his permission, the Enchanters will follow".

"That won't work. He won't be swayed. We'll have to do without his permission and hope he takes mercy on us when we save his country" Victoria said.

Maxwell looked like he couldn't believe his ears. "That's the worst plan I've ever heard. You're going to get yourself beheaded".

Victoria spoke with no fear in her eyes.

"If it is for my country. Then so be it".

"Why did I have to come again?" Rosaline said.

"Because Mrs Rhendawein will want to meet the Warrior Queens" Victoria said.

Victoria braced herself for Rosaline scolding her for not remembering Adelaide. But all she said was:

"People said there would be drawbacks to being famous".

Victoria knocked on the door three times. Nothing. Nothing but an echoing throughout the house. Her hand grasped the door knob and turned it until the door gave way. It creaked open and Victoria sucked in a breath. She expected Mrs Rhendawein to be stirring a cauldron, with vials of potions lined up the mantelpiece. But all that was there was old tattered couch with a coffee table in the middle. A half knitted jumper lay on the chair nearest to the window. Just an ordinary house. That was the illusion.

"Some poor lost souls seemed to have wandered into my home" a voice rang throughout the house.

"Vicky" Rosaline trembled.

A woman appeared at the end of the room. Victoria didn't see where from. The woman looked ordinary herself. She could be someone's mother. She wore a smart pressed suit and had rollers in her hair.

"What may I help you with, my dears?" she said.

"Are you Mrs Rhendawein?" Victoria said with more confidence than she felt.

"You have found her" Mrs Rhendawein smiled.

"We would like to request-"

Mrs Rhendawein held up her hand, silencing Victoria. Her mouth slammed shut against her will.

"Before we start I must ask for a payment upfront. Oh, and also that you sign a contract promising you will not have me arrested".

"We are not committing to a blood oath" Rosaline exclaimed.

"A blood oath? I said no such thing. Now come come. I have other clients"

"I don't know about this, Vicky" Rosaline said.

It was your idea Victoria wanted to say, but no words came out. Her mouth opened and closed but all that came out was air. Rosaline's mouth parted open in surprise and her eye twitched. Victoria knew that look. It was look Rosaline had before she went full Warrior Queen on someone.

"You witch! What have you done to her?" Rosaline screamed.

"Now now. Calm down. I merely silenced her for the duration of this meeting. Your friend could do with giving her mouth a rest" Mrs Rhendawein said. "Now, shall we proceed?"

Mrs Rhendawein sat on the edge of her chair and took a piece of paper out of her suitcase. She then pushed the contract towards them and held out a pen. Victoria stepped forward and put her name on the dotted line. Rosaline soon followed. Mrs Rhendawein examined them with contempt as looking at an unwashed piece of clothing.

"Victoria Elderwen. Daughter of Abel Elderwen?" Mrs Rhendawein laughed. "Following in daddy's footsteps, are we?"

Victoria grimaced.

"Another AIA agent?" Mrs Rhendawein laughed again. "My my they must be desperate"

She looked at the contract again.

"And a special one, by the looks of it. Rosaline Larendof. Ah, the Warrior Queens. I should have known. Though I must've miscounted the last time I was at one of your celebration parties because I thought they were three of you"

"We wouldn't invite a witch to one of our parties" Rosaline exclaimed.

"The politically correct term is conjuror, my dear. And of course I was in disguise".

Victoria scowled. She sat the bag of money on the table hoping it would speed the process along.

"Eager to get going are we?"

Her eyes were glassy as if she wasn't quite there. Not in the way someone looked whilst intoxicated, but rather the look of a crazed serial killer. Cold and merciless.

"We need you to put up wards around the castle and other vulnerable cities" Rosaline said quickly.

"That's quite a task, my dear" Mrs Rhendawein replied.

"Yes. Could you do it?"

"I suppose...if I had help. But you will not breathe a word it was me".

"Yes ma'am" Rosaline said.

"Now go. I've had enough of you" She said shooing them.

When they stepped out, Victoria found her voice again. The heaviness lifted off her chest and she cleared her throat.

"That could've gone worse" Victoria said.

High winds that would have capsized ships prevented the Falcons from leaving the port. They could not flee to Concordia. Now they would have to face the king's wraith.

Three days later wards were up around most of the cities. They were invisible, but if you looked closely you could sometimes see a shimmer in the distance. The king, of course was furious. The Falcons were called to another meeting to explain. Victoria told everyone to wait outside. If Victoria was going to crumble, she didn't want the others to see.

"I specifically told you not to put wards around my kingdom. And what do you do? Deliberately disobey me" King Leonard said.

"You asked us to find Erebus. That is what we plan to do" Victoria said.

"You had no right" the King boomed.

"If Erebus is over in Concordia, why are we keeping them here?" Queen Magdalena asked. "It makes no sense, Leonard"

King Leonard's frown grew deeper.

"I am no fool. I see what you're trying to do. Your Queen is always undermining my kingdom. Your people always questioning my decisions. I've had enough of it. So by all means fly to Concordia. Kill Erebus. Both our countries will rejoice. But if you fail, you will envy the fate of the fallen angels".

Queen Magdalena rolled her eyes behind her husband's back. Victoria concluded that maybe not all royals were that bad.

"Fly, sir?" As if that bothered her the most.

"On my royal airship of course. Accompanied by my very own son" King Leonard said.

"Me?" Prince Casper gasped.

He looked more excited than scared. But the king must've interpreted that the wrong way. King Leonard put his hand on his son's shoulder and said.

"Son, it is time you proved yourself worthy of the crown".

"I will prove myself worthy" the prince said. "When do we leave?"

The question was clearly directed at Victoria, but the king answered instead.

"No time like the present".

"So soon" The Queen cried.

Victoria left them to their goodbyes and left the room. Her team were waiting for her, looking anxious. She gave them a sly grin.

"Anyone want to fly to Concordia today" she said.

"Fly? Rosaline said, looking bewildered. "I don't think anyone here knows how to fly an airship".

"No, but I heard the Prince is a pretty good flyer".

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

364K 9.3K 62
#1 in sword fighting #3 in darkforest #7 in weapons #12 in gory #25 in mysterious (THIS BOOK HAS MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, it's slowly being edited...
154 1 19
A demon princesses 18th birthday is coming up in a few days but she's a love demon so she will go woman hood in her years. As her birthday passes her...
9.3K 317 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
117K 12.1K 99
[BOOK 1] REBOOTED COMPLETED Legends once spoke of Erebus, a great cultivator who stood against an army of darkness. He fought bravely alongside his b...