Romancing The Mob (ON HOLD)

By _HawtWheels

Laura Santos has always lived a sheltered life. Her father, Carlos Santos, is the typical overprotective Ital... More

Chapter 1
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter 4 & 5
Chapter 6 & 7
Chapter 8
Chap. 9 & 10
Chap. 11
Chap. 12
chap. 13
chap. 14
chap. 15
chapter 17
ch. 18

Chapter 16

19.4K 308 35
By _HawtWheels

The sprawling house laid out in front of Laura should have excited her, especially since it was exactly the kind of old, wonderful house that had always interested her, but it did not. She felt nothing looking at it, nothing but a sadness and a sense of regret. What had she done? She asked herself again, the same question she had been asking since she was forced to accept that her father wasn’t attending her wedding. She had thought that by now he would have come around to the idea of her marrying Alexei, but she was afraid she’d only succeeded in angering him even further.

            “You two must be famished! Dinner shall be served in a moment,” Laura heard Alexei’s housekeeper, Louis, telling him as they conversed at the foot of the stairs. Her housekeeper too, Laura corrected, and her stomach lurched with the realization. She was married, to Alexei Giovanni of all people.

            “Laura?” She looked up to see Alexei looking at her with a slight frown. “Are you alright? Would you like wine with dinner?” He asked, and Laura turned away.

            “I’m not very hungry, thank you. I believe I would just like to go to bed.”

            “Ah, yes,” Louis fussed, grinning widely at them both. “After all, it is your wedding night! Va, va!” She said, ushering them up the stairs with flicks of her wrists. “I shall send something up later, perhaps then you shall be hungry.” With a final wink at Laura, Louis shuffled away, leaving Alexei to lead Laura upstairs.

            The bedroom was the first door on the right of the hallway, and Alexei held the double doors open for her as Laura walked through. The aura in the room was infinitely male, and very dominant. The colors were deep burgundy, browns, golds, and blues. It was nice, if not a little bare, and Laura looked around. It had clearly been done by a decorator, but Alexei’s stamp was nearly everywhere in the room. There was an en suite to the right side of the room, as well as another door beside it and two more on left side of the room as well. She assumed they were closets, and made a mental note to find out where her luggage had gone. Laura had been trying not to look at the bed, but it was the only thing left to look at, and there it was, big and forbidding in the middle of the room. It was a huge bed, with a large cherry wood headboard and a rust colored comforter and cream colored sheets. Somehow Laura had manage to keep herself so busy with thoughts of planning the wedding so that she wouldn’t have time to think of the wedding night, but now ti was impossible for her not to think of it.

            “The bathroom is through there, your suitcase is by the sink.” Alexei said, even as he was moving towards the door to the left of the room. Laura wasn’t able to see what was behind the door before Alexei was shutting the door behind him. With a small sigh, Laura moved to the bathroom and found it lushly decorated, and she was glad for the warm spray on her tight shoulders and back. Now that she was more relaxed, Laura let her mind wander to Louis’s words, and Laura flushed deeply at the old woman’s wild assumptions. But perhaps her assumptions weren’t that wild, Laura thought as she washed her hair. This was her wedding night, and Alexei was a highly sexual man, according to the rumors and the media. It was perfectly normal for him to assume they would be taking part in that particular part of their “marriage”, especially if they were dating before hand….right? They were dating…weren’t they?

            With a suddenly nervous stomach, Laura dried off and looked through the luggage bag she had packed. She blushed when she remembered the lace nightgown Lizzie had given her, with strict instructions to seduce the pants off of Alexei. With a shiver, she shoved the nightgown aside and decided instead on a pair of silk shorts and a light camisole. She didn’t wear a bra, she never did when going to sleep, and she was more conscious then ever of how the material seemed to cling to her breasts, but she ignored it. Silently praying that Alexei would already be asleep, but a small part of her hoping he was awake and waiting, Laura slowly opened the door of the bathroom to find the bedroom and bed empty. With a small sigh of relief, Laura hurried to the bed, turning off the lamp and slipping between the sheets. They felt cool against her skin, and Laura felt the full weight of the day rest on her shoulders and mind again, despite her relaxing shower. Blinking back tears and the feeling of being abandoned, Laura nearly shouted with joy when she heard the door to her left close softly and Alexei moving around the room. But when she recognized the sounds of a belt being undone and clothes falling to the floor, Laura felt dread and nervousness. Not tonight, of all nights! She had so much on her mind! Now was not the time for this!

            The covers pulled back as Alexei slipped into the bed, and Laura felt the bed tip with his added weight, then it balanced out again. For a moment, there was silent, and Laura was trying hard to hold her breath.

            “I know you are not asleep, little wife.” Alexei murmured, his voice so close to her ear, Laura jumped in surprise. His arm encircled her waist and she froze. “I could not even begin to sleep.” He said huskily, and Laura suddenly came to life, hitting at his chest and letting out a cry of desperation. Alexei froze immediately, and Laura continued to hit at him.

            “No! I can’t, Alexei! You’ve ruined everything!” She suddenly burst out, and he released her. The bed shifted and suddenly the room was flooded with light, casting Alexei’s deeply frowning and not too happy face into stark light.

            “And what exactly have I done?”

            “You made my father hate me!” She spat at him. “How can you expect me to, to-to have sex with you when I am all alone?!” Laura said helplessly. Alexei studied her for a moment, before getting out of the bed, and Laura looked away from his nearly naked form, save for a pair of boxer shorts.

            “Forgive me,” Alexei said grimly as he grabbed a pillow off the bed. “I did not realize that I was condemning you to a life of loneliness when I asked you to marry me, for your own protection. Do not worry, Laura, I will not make the mistake of mixing my business and my personal lives again. Good night.” He said with a slight inclination of his head, then he was walking through the door, shutting it quietly behind him. Too exhausted to care about what his walking out had just meant, Laura lay back on the pillows and tried to sleep.

            “Louis, have there been any phone calls for me?” Laura asked the housekeeper over breakfast. It had been nearly a week since Alexei had brought Laura to Madrid, and between Alexei’s cold and detached manner and her empty days, Laura was beginning to get restless. Used to a life filled with going to work and seeing her friends whenever she wanted, it was going to take some time for Laura to get used to having nothing to do.

            “No, madame,” Louis said with a shake of her head, never meeting Laura’s eye. The housekeeper had been aloof and less than welcoming when she had realized that Alexei was occupying one of the guest rooms each night. She had indiscreetly muttered about the purpose of a honeymoon in the first place, but Laura had tuned it out. Clearly, Alexei’s idea of a honeymoon was simply working, because the only time Laura saw him was at meals, and even then he seemed to have something on his mind, some reason not to engage her in conversation. True, she may have gone a little overboard on their wedding night, but she was willing to make the most of this vacation now that Alexei seemed to be the only friends she had. Plus the thought of her exboyfriend potentially being the ones behind the break in and attack, just made Laura feel vulnerable.

            After her daily, lazy stroll through the gardens after lunch, Laura decided to see just what Alexei was up to in that office of his. She smoothed her hair quickly before she knocked on his office door. The knock was replied by his calling to come in, and Laura slipped into the room, closing the door softly behind her. With his phone pressed to his ear and rattling off in Spanish, Alexei Giovanni looked every bit the ferocious business man his reputation made him out to be. He was dressed casually, in a pull over corded black sweater, his hair falling in his eyes. Laura looked around his office as he talked on the phone, noting that there weren’t any pictures of family members in the office. The room was a nice size, with cherry wood desks, dressers, and bookcases. The sound of the phone hanging up made Laura turn away from the bookcase and to Alexei. He hadn’t looked up from his work yet, and Laura stepped a little closer before offering a tentative greeting.

            “Ciao,”

            “Ciao,” He replied without looking up, sifting through his papers and putting some into a folder. She watched his hands as they moved, his nimble fingers. “Was there something I could help you with?” He asked, still not looking up as he then switched to his computer.

            “No, I just, wanted to see what you were up to I suppose.” When he didn’t reply, Laura cleared her throat, getting bolder. “It is our honeymoon after all. We’re supposed to spend time with each other.” Laura joked, trying to break the ice.

            Finally his eyes flickered to her face. He looked back at the screen, typing something before pushing himself away from his desk. “I’m afraid I have other business to take care of.” He stood and Laura’s cheeks burned from his words, remembering how she had referred to their arrangement just a week ago.

            “I was just hoping…we could talk-”

            “Escusi, I have a flight to catch, and I can not afford to be late.” Alexei walked out from behind his desk and towards the door. Laura hesitated, then whirled around, calling out to him as his hand touched the door knob.

            “Where are you going?” Alexei paused.

            “France,”

            “You can’t just go to France!” Laura said, putting her hands on her hips, and he raised an eyebrow in question.

            “Non? I believe I can.”

            “Without your new wife?” Laura asked, glaring at him. “You’re going to leave your new wife, who you claim to be wildly in love with, all alone in Madrid while you go off to France? Yeah, that looks legitimate.”

            “Laura, I do not have time to sit in this house and play house!” Alexei suddenly roared, losing his temper with her for the first time ever. “If I wanted a nagging wife, I wouldn’t have bothered with a fake ceremony! Now I shall see you in a few days.”

            Turning sharply on his heel, Alexei left the room, leaving Laura alone in a huge house.

            Anxiously, Laura waited up for Alexei’s to call home. He hadn’t said when he would call, but she knew he’d call to check up on her and she didn’t want to miss his call. It was strange, after talking to him everyday before they got to Madrid, and now they were barely speaking to each other after their huge fights. She didn’t know what was going to become of their arrangement, but she didn’t want to lose their friendship. If it was considered friendship, she pondered as she snuggled deeper into the comfort of the bed. They weren’t dating, not exactly, but there hadn’t been any romantic advances since that first night. Oh, how his kisses shattered her. She got tingly inside just thinking of them, and she wished she hadn’t been so stupid that first night. She was afraid, of being alone, of being forced into leaving her life behind, and she had taken it out on Alexei.

            The ringing of the phone woke Laura suddenly, and she snatched at the phone, answering it groggily.

            “Ciao?”

            “Laura? Did I wake you?” Came Alexei’s deep, accented voice.

            “No, I was just….resting.” She said, sitting up and groping for the lamp. “What time is it?”

            “Nearly three, and I know that I woke you.” He replied, and Laura sighed, leaning back against her pillows. There was an awkward, strained silence.

            “Did you have a good flight?”

            “Si,” Was his reply, and then silence. Laura cleared her throat, thinking of things to say.

            “Are you staying in a hotel?”

            “No, I have a flat here.”

            “Do you have a flat everywhere?” Laura attempted to joke.

            “Laura, you know how dangerous hotels can be.”

            “I never understood why you and my father were so cautious about everything. Why the guards and everything, I mean, it’s not like you guys are dangerous men.”

            Alexei was silent for a moment, and Laura thought the line had been cut off. “Precautions are sometimes needed. I must go, I have a meeting in the morning.”

            “Right, of course,” Laura said quickly.

            “Buonosera, Laura.” Alexei said, and Laura smiled faintly.

            “Buonosera,” He hung up the phone, and Laura placed hers back on the cradle before falling to sleep, thinking about the mysterious men in her life.

            “What is wrong?” Alexei demanded nearly as soon as Laura got on the phone three days later. They had been talking every day, for longer and longer, the tension forgotten. Yesterday they’d talked for an entire half hour before Alexei had to go.

            “Nothing,” Laura said instinctively.

            “Laura,” He said sharply, and she rolled her eyes.

            “I’m serious, Alexei, I’m really fine. Just…”

            “Just what?” He pressed, and Laura decided against telling him that Marco had sent them a wedding present. A bouquet of dead white roses with a card wishing them every happiness.

            “Just, I was wondering how much this phone bill is going to cost.” She said, thinking quickly.

            “You need not worry about finances, Laura, I am perfectly capable of taking care of it.”

            “I know, I was just wondering,” She said, and she could hear someone saying something to him on the other line. Laura listened carefully as a very female voice said something that made Alexei let out a bark of laughter and chuckle softly. Her stomach clenched. “What’s so funny?”

            “Ah, it is nothing, just something one of my staff said.”

            “Oh, okay.” Laura said, more relaxed. Alexei wouldn’t do that, mix business and pleasure, and he wouldn’t cheat on her, not after he gave his word, right? Laura shook her head, she was being silly, you can’t cheat on your fake wife! Laura gnawed on her nails at the thought, and heard the voice again before Alexei spoke.

            “Listen, I have to go but I should be home tomorrow night.”

            “I thought your flight got in around 4,” She said with a frown.

            “Yes, but I have things to attend to before coming directly home. I shall see you later, ciao.”

            “Ciao,” Laura said softly, but he had already hung up.

            The next morning, Laura woke up bright and early, with an idea. Throwing on a pair of form fitting, capri cut jeans, a breezy white camisole and a yellow cardigan, she pushed her hair out of her face with a simple headband and grabbed her purse. Marching to the door, Laura came to a halt when Bruno stepped in front of the door with a smile. Bruno had stayed behind to be Laura’s personal body guard, while Yanes had gone with Alexei to attend to business.

            “Buongiorno, Signora Giovanni, what can I do for you today?”

            “Ciao, Bruno, and thank you but I am fine,” She made to go around him, but he subtly moved in front of her. Laura looked Bruno in the eyes, her gaze firm and unblinking. “Bruno, you may work for Signor Giovanni, but I am in charge of this house while he is not here. I am telling you to move, Bruno, I have things to do.”

            “Signora, for your own safety, allow me to assist you today.” He suggested with a lift of his shoulders. He was a rather large man, not as tall as Alexei, she noted, or nearly as handsome. Shaking her head free of thoughts of Alexei, Laura shook her head.

            “No, I just want to go out alone, on a normal journey into town. I am going out, Bruno, and if I suspect that one of your men is following me at any point today, I will call the police and tell them my disgruntled former employees are stalking me, capisce?”

            Bruno blinked, and Laura smiled before going around him and out the door. She frowned at the car in the garage. There was a sleek black Ferrari in one spot, and a red Audi sports car in the other. Opting for the Audi, Laura found the keys in Alexei’s desk and then started up the car. It purred to life, and Laura tried to remember everything her former guard, Mike, had taught her about driving a stick shift. With only a few stall outs and some gear shifting problems, Laura made it to the market in one piece, and set out on her day.

            Much to her surprise, Laura thanked Louis for the lovely meals she had been cooking them, then kindly dismissed her from the kitchen and refused to let her assist in the making of dinner in anyway. Laura glanced at the clock, seeing that it was 3:42PM. Alexei’s plane would just be about to land, and then he would head to work. Laura hummed as she got started on dinner. She knew he loved Italian food, what Italian born male didn’t? So she thought she’d make him stake pizziaola. Hopefully he likes steak pizzaiola, she thought as she put potatoes into the oven to roast slowly with rosemary and garlic. Laura turned on the radio as she cooked, dancing around the kitchen as she cut the onions, red and green peppers, and mushrooms. Thinking quickly, Laura stopped Louis as she walked by with the vacuum.

            “Louis, is Alexei allergic to anything?”

            “No, Signora, not a thing.” Louis shook her head. “What are you up to in that kitchen?” She questioned, and Laura grinned back.

            “I am making dinner, Louis, for my husband.”

            Louis beamed and rushed her away to finish. By the time 9 o’clock rolled by, Laura was dressed in a casual but flirty deep purple breezy dress and flats, her hair braided carefully into a single braid over her left shoulder. She sat at the dinner table, the steak pizzaiola steaming in the pot in front of her, and she waited. At 9:30, he called to say he wasn’t going to be home that day, meetings had come up. Laura sighed as she got off the phone and went into the bedroom. Well, he was a busy man, she reasoned as she soaked in the tub, indulging in relaxing a little bit. By the time she got out of the bath and slipped into her pajamas, Laura was optimistic about the day ahead. He would come home tomorrow and she would be waiting for him with open arms, and she would finally push aside all her reservations and embrace the simmering heat that had always been between them. She was giddy and nervous just thinking about it. Laura padded to the kitchen to get a cup of hot chocolate before bed, turning the TV on as she went.

            “In more exciting news, we are live at Vixen, one of France’s newest, trendiest clubs. Many celebrities have been spotted here since it has opened, and tonight we have spotted none other than Italian born businessman, Alexei Giovanni.” At his name, Laura’s eyes snapped up and she walked towards the TV, folding her arms as she took in the pictures flashing across the scene of Alexei. “Alexei was spotted arriving here hours ago, living it up with a stunning blonde bombshell, but where is Alexei’s new bride?” A picture of Laura appeared on the screen, and it couldn’t have been less flattering. It was a picture of her and Alexei as they had been shopping for wedding things, and she was clad in baggy army style pants and a loose sweater, her sunglasses perched on her head and not hiding the dark circles under her eyes or the paleness of her skin. “I guess keeping up with a man like Alexei can be tiring, can’t it? Until next time on-“

            Laura turned off the TV and stared at the wall. He wasn’t home because he was in a club, a club with a long legged bombshell. He didn’t have a business meeting, he was simply going behind her back with other women. Laura wished she didn’t feel shattered, but she did. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 30.8K 83
Briella,17, never had a stable family set up. She was left alone by the age of 7, to fend for herself. Her father hated her, abused her for her whole...
16.4K 377 40
Leilani is traded into a mafia by her own father as payment for his debts. She finds herself in dangerous waters, lethal territories as she gets inte...
1.1M 25.9K 25
Elena Russo has never lived a normal life like most. To her normal was having a constant bodyguard and not being able to indulge much on life at home...
73.5K 1.5K 27
Katerina Leones Is Just a Barista so she thinks before her and her 1 year old daughter Get Taken By Leonardo de Los Santos the leader of the Spanish...