The King's Possession -- Book...

By HowlingJane

(COMPLETED) The second novel of the Underworld Series! Can be read separately. For a mature audience! ______ ... More

Opening
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue
The Story Continues

Chapter Eleven

10.7K 417 71
By HowlingJane

Thank you for being patient with the updates, my loves. I have a very busy life... and there's been some positive changes happening to my family lately. It'll take a little while to find a rhythm, so please continue to be patient. Anyway, let's get into the chapter!

Enjoy my loves. :)

______

           Maketis walked before me, helping drag the large beast up the side of the mountain. The sun was slowly sinking into the glass sea once again, causing the sky to become that of a soft orange and pink, reminding me the flowers that bloomed on the bark of Mother Tree. Today was the final day of my teachings, along with all of those that surrounded and taught with me. I had been given the honor of hunting the great beasts that would be the feast for the celebrations tonight. Finally, after so many years of teaching, blood, sweat, and fatigue, I had finally finished that of which was set out before me. Though I had a path laid out before we, which I had followed carefully for several cycles now, my journey -my true journey- was only just beginning.

          The smell of burning wood filled the air as the darkening sky washed over us, the sound of warriors cheering and chanting around the fire consuming me and causing me to quicken my pace, allowing me to move before Maketis, who now followed. A splitting smile was on my face as I could see my Father stand by the fire, his body covered in scars and war paint as he crossed his arms over his chest. With white hair, I resembled him far more than my Mother, but to me it was a great honor.

       "You seem to have suddenly remembered why we went on the hunt." Maketis said behind me, his face never showing any emotion. I simply smiled over my shoulder at him, only to cause him to shake his head at me in disbelief. Yes, for a few fleeting moments, I had forgotten why we were to hunt the beasts, but it was only a moment.

         "Can you blame me for wanting to hurry? I believe Mother Tree shall lose her leaves at the end of the cycle before we reach the fire." I said teasingly, only to see Maketis smirk slightly before stopping completely, bringing us to a halt. "Why are you stopping?" I simply asked, dropping the beast to turn to look at him. He simply bent to lift the beast over his shoulders, motioning for me to follow with the smaller beast. Shaking my head as I let out a sigh, I did as instructed, knowing more than well to not go against an order. It was customary to follow the leader of the pack, and with Maketis going to be announced tonight as the chief, I was thrilled and filled with sorrow.

         "Always so curious, little one. No more questions." He simply said, only walking forward towards the fire as I placed the beast on my shoulders. Taking a breath, I followed behind, feeling the warmth of the large beast on my shoulders and neck, shielding me from the slight wind that was starting to cause the grass blades to sway in a dance as old as time.

        The night grew dark, the beast was cooked, and the dances were danced. Maketis stood beside the fire with my Father, his stance the same with his arms crossed over his chest, his braid flowing down to the top of his knees. With their stance wide, they simply watched over the tribe as we ate and drank, speaking of stories of old, and the telling of the future of our people.

        "Gather children... Gather and know the tale of our peoples future." I hear Nina say -the seeker of the tribes. With greying white hair and dark grey eyes, it was no wonder how she could see the things of the past and future so easily. Mother Tree flowed through her, along with the spirits of our ancestors. I watched as my Mother moved to stand with my Father, standing between his legs as he moved the strands of her braid around his fingers, listening carefully. Maketis took a step forward, watching the flames of the fire, tilting his head to the side slightly, causing a stray hair to fall over his face.

         I sat down in front of the fire, watching as the old and wise hands of Nina moved into the leather pouch to bring out her special herbs that helped tell the stories of our people. Looking at the blades of grass, blue and green, and the deep plumb of the wheat strands and seeds, she smiled down at them before tossing them into the fire. My eyes grew with wonder as she looked down at the flames, which transformed into that of  smoke and dancing warriors.

       "TONIGHT WE CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF NEW WARRIORS!" Nina said with a cheer. Everyone tossed their heads back, some even raising their hand in the air, yelling in rejoice at the truth of those words. I too cheered, yelling and raising my hand in the air, proud to be part of this moment. "But tonight, we not only celebrate the birth of new warriors, but new beginnings together. Though we cannot live forever, we are given a life that is meant to help and heal those around us, all while having Mother Tree by our side. Though we may come to meet strangers that do not understand our ways, we will also come against those that wish to hunt us down and destroy our way of life.

         "We may not have the answers, nor the reasons of why we are faced with challenges that perhaps are not needed in life, but Mother Tree does. You have fought and trained for cycles now, little ones. But, your teachings will truly never end. Life will teach you the ways of different people, show you the horror of war, the joy of love and a life mate, and some day, after your battle and bows are placed down, you too shall join Mother Tree. Let tonight be the ending of a tale, but the beginning of a legend!" I sat there in wonder, watching as she spoke, the fire transforming into different beings that crawled and flew over the land. From the water dragons, to fire lizards, to wolves and beasts, to the very Dragons of Namaria, they all flashed before us. I smiled, fascinated by the way she spoke and twirled the fire around her wrinkled and aged hands.

        But what I had not noticed, was how the parents of those that had children in the teachings, had gotten their scarring tools and readied them. My eyes went wide as my Mother offered my her hand, motioning for me to come towards her. Standing, I followed  the lead of the others that had been in the teachings, walking to my Mother. Father stood there as well, his eyes shinning with love and joy. I bowed my head at him, but was surprised once again when he bowed his head towards me.

        "As you are marked with this last scar, may you remember this night and this feeling." I turned and moved my hair away from my left ear, the point having already grown to its full length. My Father took the blade and placed it in the fire, curing it with the other blades that followed suit. "Tonight, you are not just an Eenack. You are not just part of the tribe. Tonight... you are connected with Mother Tree, with the gods that stand under her watchful eyes. Tonight... you are a warrior!" I felt the burn of the blade as I could feel it pressed into my skin, the sizzling burn of skin ringing in my ears. But, I knew better than to turn away. The pain was temporary, that much I had grown to know over the teachings. We would gain new scars with each test that was passed, our bodies covered in similar but different markings. And now, after cycles of fighting and teaching, we would gain the final scar that connected us.

         I had waited so long for this very moment, and I was filled with joy and pride. After all this time, I had accomplished something that I had always wanted.

         "When you are in times of darkness, look to the light that flows through Mother Trees branches! When you are seeking shelter from the mighty storms, stand under her! No matter what throws at you, you can do all things with her at your side! Let no one tell you different!" I felt the final curve of the blade as the cut was finished, the drop of blood  flowing down my neck, only to rest in the hollow of my collarbone. "Tonight... you are whole." I heard Nina sigh as she tossed the last of the herbs into the fire, causing the billowing smoke to rise as she lifted her hands, the branches of Mother Tree lifting and flowing from the smoke with her. Each branch reached out, coming to reach for those that had earned their final scar. I watched in fascination as the smoke came to my ear, the feeling of warmth and feathers moving across my skin. The skin of the new scar tightened as the wound healed, leaving a silver scar of Mother Tree in its wake.

         I smiled as Father turned me towards him, his eyes shinning in the light of the fire. This was it... he was going to give Maketis his title.

          "I will always be with you." He whispered, pulling me into a warm embrace. "Always..." He whispered once more. Pulling back slightly, I watched as he moved his hand up to his ear, removing the cuff that was at the tip of the point of his left ear. My eyes went wide as he placed it into the hole of my ear, slightly lower than his as I was a female. I listened as he clicked the metal cuff into place, locking it completely.

          Tears blurred my vision as I took a breath, only to wrap my arms around him once again.

           "I will miss you..." I whispered, feeling the warmth of the metal cuff dig into my skin as I buried my head into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, followed by the soft hands of my Mother, who was now holding us as well. "I will always miss you..." I whispered.

          A few moments were spent like that, only to be removed and pulled back with my Mother. My eyes grew wide as I saw Father remove his bow and arrows from his hip and back. No! I wasn't ready... I would never be ready for this.

        Maketis stepped forward, the smoke of the flames dimming slightly as Father offered it to him. With one last look given with soft nods from both, Maketis reached forward with him. Father bowed his head in respect as he gifted them to Maketis, passing his strength and role to take care of the tribe to Maketis. My eyes watered as he placed them on his hip, only to bend down on one knee, bowing his head completely, placing a hand over his chest and heart. I stepped forward, breaking the small contact that I had with Mother as I looked at Father.

         "With the Power given to me by my Mother Tree who watched our tribes before me, like the gods before her, I name of chief of our people. Protect and honor our people, as well as our Mother." he simply stated to Maketis. With that he said his head to look at Father who was now smiling with glassy eyes. He was filled with sorrow, I could see that. But, what caused me to be more curios and sorrowful was the way that he didn't seem afraid. Though he would be going, he would never fully be gone. As long as we lived, we would remember him. And my children would know of his story and strength one day. "My Friends... I thank you for all you have done. Until we meet again..." he whispered.

         Taking a breath, he stepped past Maketis, who was now standing and watching carefully over the tribe. His back was straight, his arms down by his sides, and his braid grew slightly longer. With one final look towards the tribe, and giving us a warm smile, Father stepped into the flames and smoke of the great fire.

          My eyes widened as he stood there, only to let out a sight as the fire washed over him, but he never screamed in pain. In only a moment, his body was now like that of the smoke, lifting into the air, only to flow around the tribe as the fallen leaves were picked up as well as wild flowers that flowed behind them. I watched as the wind grew slightly, only to cause the smoke to wrap around us individually, seeming to be like that of a warm embrace. Tears blurred my vision as I felt the warmth and feather like touch of the smoke hold me, knowing it was a final goodbye.

         We simply all stood there, watching as the smoke went to Mother Tree, the flowers and leaves landing onto the bark. Though, the leaves did not fall, they grew into new, smaller branches that started to curl around the base of the trunk, wrapping upwards. The flowers grew, vines and stems following the new branches, growing and wrapping around them as the wind started to slow down. Mother stood behind me, only to place her hands on my shoulders, giving them a small squeeze. I placed my hand on hers, watching as the flowers and vines grew, the green of the vines starting to turn slightly darker as they turned into wood and bark.

        As we just watched, all fascinated, some sorrowful, others filled with joy.

        But, as the night came to an end, I watched as all warriors and tribe members walked to their huts in Mother Tree, leaving me by the glowing ambers of the fire. Taking a few steps forward, I placed my hand on the bark of the base of the tree, feeling the soft petals under my fingertips, knowing that they now represented the life of my Father. A single tear dripped down my cheek as I lowered my head in sorrow and agony. I would never be ready... but it seemed now I had no choice but to accept the fate that had already been sealed. I was now a warrior, and my Father had passed down his title and place in the life of our tribe. All for the greater good.

        Yet, though I knew it was all for the best, I still could not allow myself to accept that he was gone. Though he was no longer here in the lands, he would be in my heart.

       Falling down to my knees, I pressed my forehead to the wood of Mother Tree, feeling the vines and flower petals against my skin. He would live on... I would always make sure that he lived in the memory of those around us.

        Closing my eyes, I sent a prayer to the gods, praying that they would help him cross over into the next life, and let him stand with Mother Tree and those that had gone on before. I prayed for his watchful eyes to never leave me in times of grief and sorrow. And I prayed I would never forget the love he always had shown me.

________

         I sat in the hammock, moving my hips to allow it to sway slightly. Though there was not a breeze here, it did not mean I could not enjoy the most of what I had been given. I woke to a startling realization that after all these cycles, I had never once removed the cuff that Father had given me. It seemed that the gods truly had heard my prayers all those years ago. He never left me, he was always with me.

          My fingers touched the cool metal that stayed in my ear, the point of the shell of my ear brushing against my fingers as I felt the cuff more. The intricate design of vines and leaves embedded into it were so subtle, but I knew them too well to not know what they were. Smiling slightly, I also moved my fingers down to feel the scar of Mother Tree behind my ear as well, surprised by how I could have forgotten about it. Though it was the smallest of the scars, it was the one that was most meaningful and true. How strange that I could forget something that was a part of me. Though, it had been many, many cycles since I had earned this final scar. It was almost as if it had never not been there.

          Moments ticked by as I mindlessly brushed my hair, braiding it every few minutes, only to undo it and start the process over again. The white tunic I wore was lose around my body, the sleeves holding onto the neckline of the dress by the golden braids that held them. Woven with soft golden and yellow strands, they held a sense of elegance and grace, something that I clearly did not have. But, the feeling of the soft fabric brushing against my bare skin was pleasant, and helped to keep my mind from wondering to dark and difficult places. It seemed that the more I refused to think about things that angered or confused me, the more that I wished to think of them. It was something forbidden, illegal, and that only caused it to be all the more teasing and pleasing to the eyes and mind.

           A knocking came at the door a few minutes later, causing me to stop from brushing out my hair. It had grown quite a bit since I had been brought to this kingdom. It surprised me how much it grew it the point that it seemed never ending from the length. That made my lips curl up into a warm smile.

          "Enter," I simply said before running the brush through my hair again. It had also grown more soft from the oils that had placed into it during my baths. It was pleasant smelling, reminding me of the spring after the winds changed for the new season. I was finishing running the brush through the ends when the door opened, only to close once again. The air changed, smelling of sea, salt, and natural musk. My back straightened as I felt his eyes watch me as he moved across the room, but not close enough to touch me. That caused me to relax. He knew I had my limitations... this was good.

         'Perhaps you could try to see things from his perspective?' I remembered. Perhaps I should. Communication... that was key. If we talk, then we can take a step forward with this... connection that we had. And as I thought that, the warmth that I had missed started to grow in my heart once again. Their seemed to be a crackle of lightening in the atmosphere between us once I turned to look at him. Taking a breath, I sat the brush down in my lap as I turned to face him.

         His eyes grew wide as he watched me, taking a step forward. His hair was down, the soft brown waves flowing down past his shoulders, his eyes a soft blue and black in the colorful light. He wore brown leather trousers and a simple cotton shirt that showed the top of his pectorals. But, what truly caught my attention, was the way that his lips curled up into a shy smile. Tilting my head to the side, I watched him take one more step forward, seeming to be asking permission. Something had changed during his leave... he seemed more timid. It worried me, placed me on edge, but it was also a welcome change. He was keeping his distance, but yet he seemed to be struggling with it. Though he was a little over an arms length away, I could see the distance didn't agree with him.

        The closer he stepped however, the warmer I felt, and the tingles started to grow in my arms and hands, along with my chest and neck. It was concerning, but it was a pleasant sensation to feel again. And that only caused me to look away. I didn't want to feel this way, because it angered me. But perhaps it angered me now because I new the reason for it? No... it angered me because of how he treated me. If my assumptions were true, and we were each others half of a soul... then we were meant to be together. But that simply does not happen! I have a mate... or a potential mate. Why was it just now starting to seem that we had connected, but it had never finished?

        We had chosen and been chosen in return, but it was never completed. It was just a promise. But, a promise could not be kept for four years, four cycles... could it? It was possible, but there was more damage for Maketis to have waited for me than to just mate and start a family. He wouldn't have done that to the tribe... would he? But if he had? If he had waited all this time for me, what does that mean? That he truly cared for me, more than I could ever imagine? Or that he just saw I was the most skilled, allowing our children to be stronger, faster, and better the tribe?

        It had been three days since I had seen the land and kingdoms again, but during that time, all the things that Tenoos had spoken about... only caused me to become more confused and hurt. I stayed locked up in my room, only allowing Anya to bring my meals, along with keeping me company. Tenoos had visited a few times, but had come to the conclusion that I was not in the mood for conversation. So, he simply would come and sit with me, watching the Kingdom as the citizens walked and went through their day. During one of his visits however, he had brought the painting that I had stumbled upon. Though, I do not believe it was by chance. Perhaps the gods had placed it there as a reminder for me to move forward? I did not know.

       But, I did know that the longer I was separated from Kratos, the more anxious that I had become. I was aware of my surroundings, yes, having been part of my teachings. However, what I was not used to, was the sensation of constantly being watched and judged. I had asked Tenoos of this the previous evening... only to be given a single sentence as my answer. "Ask and you shall know."

          "You have returned." I finally said after a few minutes. He looked at me, eyes large, curios, only to nod his head in agreement a moment later.

          "You seem to have become more comfortable in my leave." he simply said. And for the first time in several days, I relaxed slightly. His scent, his voice, it was all soothing and relaxed me. And that only caused an underlying anger to bubble inside me. It wasn't enough to control my actions, but it did irritate me, like that when a flame has burnt the skin: unpleasant, but bearable enough to go about with what you had previously been doing.

         I didn't respond, only moved to look at him again. He took a breath in as he looked at me, seeming to have been for the first time. Blinking once, I turned away from him again, only to feel him move forward. My breathing stopped once he moved a strand of hair behind my ear. I looked forward, seeing the stone guardians of the kingdom in the distance. It seemed so close, yet so far away. But, my thoughts were brought back to the now when I felt his arms slip around me, causing the crackling of lightning to reoccur. Gasping, I turned to look at me as his eyes grew wide with wonder.

       "You feel it, too?" he asked softly. Without my wanting, my head slowly moved in an agreeing nod. His lips curled up slightly, showing the white and straight teeth that complemented his soft pink lips. My cheeks flushed as I turned away from his gaze. I was embarrassed... that was something that I was not accustomed to.

          "Why must you fight this so, Vixas?" he whispered, moving to stand in my line of vision, concern and a mixture of joy in his blue eyes. I could see the edges turn to the crystal that was so rare to see. And, as I saw the crystal start to grow and cover the blue, I found that I had slightly... missed his irritating company. That only confused me more. Why would I not fight a feeling that I did not want? It seemed as if I was not given a choice anymore. I could not control my body, let alone my thoughts of actions around him. And then there was the fact that he was holding me captive as a slave. But, my thoughts of him had shifted over the course of the months. He was true to his word, kept his distance, and had never pushed me past the limits that I had set before him.

         Yet he still kissed me.

          And as much as it angered me, I did... somewhat enjoy the feeling. It was completely opposite of the experience from my time in the pleasure house. Yes, they forced their lust upon me, but Kratos had taken thins differently. He had been angry, furious even -as I was-, but the kiss held a promise. A promise of knowing.

        Then all the dreams... each so vivid. It had started only a month ago, but each time it happened, I would wake with a growing need inside me. Something was reaching out to him. And, what I asked next, finally confirmed all of my thoughts.

        "I did not wish to be the other half of your soul." I said, moving to look him in the eyes. They grew in size, the crystal practically glowing in the pail blue and purple light of the morning. And when he reached for me, seeming to be... joyful that I had said that simple statement, I moved from the hammock, placing a pillar between us. "I knew it..." I whispered to myself, shaking my head in disbelief. I didn't ask, but my question was answered. And now I wished for the one thing that an Eenack never wishes for: to run away.

        He didn't say a word, only watched me with large eyes, his face almost blank of any emotion. And in a single second, one that I was not expecting, he lunged for me. I watched as he shifted his body to the left, moving around the hammock, quickly approaching me. And with the shock of realization and my lack of being able to think properly around him, I did the one thing that I swore to never do.

         My body was still as he rushed towards, fear reaching into the deepest part of my very being, not allowing me to move. Kratos stood before me, only to wrap his arms around me, bringing me flush again his body. I could feel the cotton shirt mold against the rigged muscles of his pectorals and abdominal muscles, and I could myself doing something that the gods truly would look away from. I placed my hands around him in a small embrace. His breathing stopped as I laid my head and cheek on his chest. All felt... somewhat right. But, when I moved to tighten my grip and look up at him, I could something heavy and foreign on my wrists.

         The cuffs.

         This was all a lie, a scandal. He did not see me as a Life Mate. That much he had proven to me over the course of our time together. Without another thought, I allowed the anger to take over, and I shove him away from me, only to stumble back and meet the pillar. He gazed at me with large eyes. Reaching out for me, he took a step forward, seeming to be practically begging for my touch.

         "No." I bit out, flattening myself against the pillar as best I could. And from the fear and anger ringing from my voice, he stopped. "You... you are a lie. A thief in the night that takes from the innocent and only gives to the rich and greedy. You believe I will allow myself to think of you as an equal, let alone my Life Mate. Kratos... you are wrong. I may be the other half of your soul, but you will never be mine!" I growled out. My words seemed to pierce his heart as a sob left my throat, tears rolling down my cheeks. "Stay away from me... please." I whispered.

        "Vixas..." he begged, reaching for me with black and blue eyes, a look of pain across his face. I shook my head as he took a few more steps forward. And then the trance seemed to lift. Within an instant, I lunged towards him, the anger flowing through me like the lava from a streaming volcano. As my hands wrapped around his neck, he grabbed my waist, holding me as he fell backwards onto the balcony. A groan left him as I lifted up a moment later, moving my fist back, only to bring it forth and punch him in the chest. All air left him as he let out a wheeze.

          Smiling, I moved my arm back to punch him again, aiming for his head, only to miss and connected with the hard marble and coral on the side of his head. A hiss left me at the contact, and I went to punch him again.

         "You have ruined me!" I yelled at him, only to find him rolling us to where I laid bellow him. Tears blurred my vision as my feminine side started to take over. I couldn't pretend around him, couldn't hide behind the wall that I had grown to know so well of the cycles. But now, it was gone, crumbled to the ground like an ancient ruin. Tears rolled over my cheeks, calling to the floor of the balcony, Kratos above me, his eyes sad with concern. "You took away my freedom, let lives be lost for no reason, and treat me as a possession. I am not a warrior, I am not a whore that gets paid, I am not a slave, and I am NOT YOURS!" I pushed him off of me, only to stand up and move to leave the room.

        "You are mine as much as I am yours!" He growled behind me. I reached for the door, only to have my body turned around and slammed against it. I felt the tears roll down my cheeks as anger and fear controlled me. I was shaking before him, fearful of the realization that I was connected to him, fearful that I knew I could not possibly fight this, and angered because he did not seem to be fazed with the realization that I was being treated as a trophy or statue. I was only something to show off, but I stayed hidden behind the walls that he had gifted me. I did not want gifts, I wished for home, for freedom.

          "And you are full of lies!" I hissed at him, feeling it bubble in the back of my throat. I went to punch him, or perhaps even slap, but he simple grabbed my wrist and pinned it above my head against the thick wooden door. All I could feel then was rage, my emotions tumbling and turning around me. I had been keeping myself away from feeling, that now it seemed they just wanted to roll off of me at once in large waves, only to crash and burn me to the ground.

          "I do not lie. It is too much energy to spend on something false." he growled out, looking me in the eyes. I watched as he brought his brows together, causing an indented V to form, and the lines in his forehead to deepen. "Why must you fight this?"

          "Because I am not your equal! I am a slave!" I yelled at him, matching his rage. Moving my leg, I meant for it to make contact with his groin, allowing me to make another blow with my fist, but he simply caught it, only to bring it around his hip and lift me up to where I was pinned and unable to struggle against him. My feet were not on the ground, and I had no leverage on him. Why does he constantly anger me?! Can't he see I don't want this?

        Yes, I do.

         I enjoy the sparks that are flying over my skin, the way the warmth is growing, seeming to reach out towards him in an intimate embrace. And then another crackling of lightning crashed in the air, causing us to look at one another... almost in a different light. The air changed them, becoming this with anticipation as we glared at one another.

         And then I did the unthinkable.

        My free hand wrapped in his hair, bringing him closer to me as he reached forward, holding him close as our lips met in a heated clash. I could feel the way my body molded against his as he pressed us further against the door. My body became a burning flame, wrapping around him, his body and soul becoming the air that I needed to breath. Everything in me seemed to light up in a different way, full of color and life that was unknown to me, yet so full of promise. And I wanted more.

         The flames grew in my heart, reaching towards him, pulling us closer together as we wrapped around the other, our lips moving in a synchronized dance of lovers and enemies. Anger, lust, rage, wanting, all emotions from different spectrums of the scale, I could feel them flowing through me to him. And, I felt the same in return. My lust was met with an equal amount. Just as my rage was. And it scared me with how I could feel a need like none other start to grow in my core.

       My lips moved away from his, wanting to turn away and stop what I had started, but I was met with the kisses on my neck and jawline. A groan left me as my back bowed against the door, only to allow him to release my wrist and wrap his arms around me completely. One moved into the strands of my hair, twisting slightly to not allow me to move without him, while the other supported my back. With my arms around his neck and in his hair, all the world melted away for those few moments.

        He angered me. Caused me to feel rage like I had never imagined. But yet, there was a feeling that was starting to grow slightly between us. I did not know this man, yet in this moment, it seemed like he had always been there. For if he hadn't, I wouldn't be completely whole. He was the other half of my soul, just as I had imagined. And I found myself trembling in fear and confusion against him as he nipped away at my neck. Each kiss that he planted was a direct link with my lust, growing from a small spark into a roaring fire that could burn down even the mightiest of towers. He was raising me higher than I had ever imagined being.

          But, the higher that he took me, the harder the fall would be when he let me go.

          "Stop." I said, shaking my head at the realization of what I had done. Surely the affects of the kiss were causing my body to sing, but it would do nothing for me in the future. If I wished to leave, I would have to stay away from him as far as possible. And this could not continue. But, as I spoke, my plea fell on deaf ears, only to feel him tighten his grip around me as he continued to kiss and suck, the whiskers on his cheeks, chin, and upper lip were scrapping against the now -extremely- sensitive skin. "Kratos... Stop." I tried again, pushing him away slightly from me. He stopped then, looking at me with large, dark crystal eyes that shown a need that I could equally match.

         "Have I hurt you?" He whispered, looking at my neck to see if there was any blood or bruising. I shook my head, only to wiggle in his grip, allowing him to fully release me. "Then what?" He asked, stepping forward to close the distance. I shook my head again, moving around him to the heart of the room, needing space and air to breath. He was fogging my mind, clouding my judgment.

       "I need some time alone... that should not have happened." I whispered, shaking my hands as I wrapped my arms around myself, wanting to cold that was seeping in to leave. He wasn't touching me anymore, and I was instantly missing the warmth inside my heart. This wasn't good. "I think I need to take a stroll around the gardens," I said, watching as he moved to reach me. I stepped out of his reach again, moving to the large doors, opening them. But, as I started to step out, he grabbed my wrist, stopping me once again.

       "Don't go. Just... stay. We can discuss this? I can try to understand your feelings, as you can try to understand mine. I want you, Vixas. Heart, mind, soul. Everything you are, in all things, I want. And my choices and decisions have not been showing like I would have wanted. Do not leave because you are vulnerable." He said, his eyes wide with panic. Never before had he asked for us to communicate, express ourselves. I thought that was obvious to him, showing him why we always ended up in a heated argument like before. I didn't need another outcome like before.  I don't believe I could bear to touch him again, and not become addicted to the feelings that flowed through me.

        "We..." I took a breath, turning away from him, opening the door. "If it will you please you, your Majesty... I would rather not discuss anything for now. If you will please excuse me, Your Grace... I am in the need of a different change of scenery."

          I moved from the room, walking down the hallway quickly, only to hear Kratos call after me, moving quickly to catch up with me. Turning to look over my shoulder, I could see his large eyes filled with anger and worry, quickly approaching. My eyes grew wide as I started to run, aiming for the large spiral stairwell that would lead down to the main floor, allowing me to go to the gardens. But, as my feet padded quickly down the steps, I could heart him calling after his guards.

        "Vixas!" I heard Tenoos say as I hit the bottom floor of the palace, his eyes wide as I took off in a dead run.

          "STOP HER!" Kratos yelled, quickly catching up to me. My eyes widened as I took a quick turn, not remembering the outline of the palace, for I had kept myself confined in my bedchambers. Now, I was praying that the gods would show me the way. Anya had always given me directions and assisted me if I had ever left the bedchambers. I didn't have her now.

          The sound of footsteps started to quicken as I turned another corner, only to be met with a large set of wooden doors and guards beside it. Rushing to the door, I watched as the guards turned to look at me, confusion written on their features, only to snap into attention as I opened the doors by a command from Kratos to capture me.

         Gritting my teeth, I ran through the ballroom, seeing the throne at the top of the steps, the marbled floor polished and glowing. My feet did not seem to wish to stick to the smooth surface, causing me to slide as I went for the balcony that would lead to the gardens. I could jump... I could jump and end all of this. My eyes widened at the realization. No more pain, confusion, anger, sorrow. It would all be over. My hand came up to the ear cuff, feeling the vines once more. Father... Mother.

          With not another thought in mind, I pushed myself forward, aiming for the balcony. The archway was reaching for me, practically ready to help push me over the edge. But, the sound of heavy footsteps came to my attention as I turned to run past them, seeing the shocked look on Kratos' face as I ran towards the balcony.

          "VIXAS! DON'T!" I heard him yell as I reached the archway. And for the second time in my life, I came face to face with death, reaching with open arms for her to take me into the dark abyss. My eyes were wide as I saw the balcony start to leave me, the air filled with the lingering feel of weightlessness. I was free... in this very moment, I was free to die and go onto the next life and join those that went before me. And I could feel the tears of joy at that realization start to come to my eyes. But, as I started to fall, I never could take flight.

         My body was grabbed, my body hanging above the world, seeing the gardens and a few bodies that littered the land a little beyond my jump. Shocks and tingles moved across my body as I could feel myself being pulled up back onto the balcony. Tenoos looked down at me, eyes wide as he pulled with Kratos, both of them trying to make fast work of the task.

          "LET ME GO!" I yelled, moving my legs, trying to kick them.

           "I refuse to watch you die!" Kratos said with large eyes. My eyes went wide as I looked up at him, seeing the horror that crossed his face. He looked from me, to the gardens, and back. His body was tense, fear seeping from his pores, and his body shook. Tenoos, however, was filled with rage. And it was aimed towards me.

           "Then close your eyes and let me join my family. I don't want this... any of it. Just please... let me have my one wish to die! If you care for me at all like you claim, then let me have this!" I begged, trying to kick at them. He closed his eyes in pain, his teeth gritting together. I just wanted it to be over.

          "I won't let you die because I can't live without you. To see you die would kill me as well, and I would become nothing. Stop fighting me, and let me help you." Kratos begged, growling out at me. I shook my head, bending my body up to remove his hand from mine, only to catch the image of long dark hair moving in the distance. My body stopped, as did my breathing, the fight gone in me.

         At the edge of the garden, looking at the statues with his hands behind his back, the stance all too familiar, I watched as Maketis stood there, taking in the Kingdom completely. The world stopped as I was lifted to the balcony, hands wrapping around me, the blood starting to rush back to the rest of my body. Kratos was trying to move me away from sight, trying to hide me with his body. But, my voice filled the air as I called out a name that I had only spoken in my dreams for the past four cycles.

       "Maketis!" I called out, fighting Kratos as he held me to him, shielding me away. I watched as Maketis became tense, his head turning to look around him. "Ma-MA-MAKETIS! MAKETIS!" I yelled, fighting Kratos as he lifted me over his shoulder, telling the guards to block us from anyone who entered the castle. But, I wouldn't have any of it.

         He turned to look around completely, his braid cut to the middle of his thighs. He had cut his braid... because of me? I could see the way that he looked around, seeming to want to find whoever was calling him. Looking this way... look this way!

         "MAKETIS!" I screamed once more, tears blurring my vision as I saw his head snap in my direction. "MAKETIS!" I yelled again, wanting to reach him, hold him. Home... he was home, and it was just in my grasp. "Let me go!" I yelled out, punching and kicking as Kratos brought me from the balcony, stepping quickly. I wiggled and moved, somehow managing to get lose of his grip for a moment, long enough to me to get down and run to the balcony one more time.

       I could see the realization wash over his features as he started to rush towards me, though the balcony was too high to jump to from the garden.

         "MAKETIS!" I yelled once more. And I was greeted with the angelic sound of his voice echoing back to me.

         "VIXAS!" He yelled in return, running towards me at a speed I didn't know he had in him. But I should have known not to doubt him. He found me... he found me after all this time. My heart skipped a beat as he continued to call out my name, quickly reaching the bottom of the balcony. Without another thought, I pushed the guards off of me, kicked them in the chest, falling into Kratos as he reached me once again. His eyes were wide and his stance not steady. This was a side I had never seen before. He was truly, in this moment, afraid of losing something that was never his to have. And it broke my heart to see the pained expression.

         "Step back!" I yelled at all of them, backing up against the balcony. "Take another step forward, and I will jump. You won't be able to catch me this time." I whispered, looking over my shoulder, seeing Maketis almost to the point that I needed him to be at. And from the look in his eyes, he knew that it was something that needed to be done. Something that we had not done since my teachings. I would jump and fall into his arms. "You... you were trying to keep me away from him?" I whispered, looking at Kratos.

           "Please... Vixas, come here and let me make this right." My eyes grew wide.

           Make this right? How would he make keeping me away from my people right? He couldn't... and I never would let him.

         "You can't." I whispered, only to step back one more time, allowing myself to tip over the edge of the balcony. I could hear the yelled of panic from the guards and Kratos, but also the yell from Maketis. My heart broke at the sounds, only to stop as the drop caused my heart to go into my throat, and my stomach to drop out of my body. The wind whipped around me, only to stop suddenly as I came in contact with Maketis.

          I groaned as he did, wrapping my arms around him as we fell to the ground together. My eyes were open as he rolled, wrapping around me to protect me, keeping me safe. And for the first time in four years, I felt like I was home.

          "Maketis." I whispered, looking up at him as he looked down at me. Tears brimmed in my eyes, blurring my vision slightly. He hadn't changed much, had only gained a deeper crease in his forehead, along with the wrinkles under his deep grey eyes. I let out a sob as he looked at me, wonder and shock on his ruggedly handsome features. I wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my face as the sobs ripped through me, shaking me. "It's you... You found me." I whispered, tears flowing freely like a river.

         "Vixas... oh my Vixas." he whispered in my ear, sitting up as I was pulled into his lap. We sat there, wrapped around the other, neither releasing the other. I felt my world start to turn upright once again, the land around me vanished, and I could smell home for the first time. The fresh wind of spring, the maple scent of wood from Mother Tree, the ambers of the dimmed fire, and the sweat of a warrior. Home... this is what home smelled of.

          I didn't release him when he pulled back to look at me, going over my features. I smiled up at him, seeing the stress and worry leave him as we locked eyes. Though he didn't smile at me, I could see his eyes dancing as hope started to flow in him again.

          "My Vixas..." he whispered to me. But it wasn't in common tongue. It was our native language, the Language of Makhremis : Mother Tree. It was beautiful, rolling off his tongue as he spoke two simple words. Words that I hadn't heard in years.

        "You found me..." I whispered back in our language, feeling the caress of it as it rolled off my tongue. It had been so long since I could talk this way, it was refreshing. It was right. It was home.

        "I never stopped looking. And I never would have." he said in return, moving a strand of hair behind my ear, his fingertip following the long point. I smiled, doing the same to him. "You have not worn your braid?" he asked at me, feeling the strands of hair between his fingers. "And it has been cut..." He said with large eyes. I nodded at him, hearing the sound of guards calling one another, readying to surround us. "What have they done to you?" he growled out, standing up with his arms around me. I stood with him, having no other choice but to follow.

        Kratos came forth, watching with black and blue eyes, glaring at Maketis. My eyes grew wide, watching as Maketis took a step forward, challenging Kratos. Taking a step forward, I reached for Maketis, taking his arm. He didn't look at me, but I could feel that he was listening.

          With all the grace and courage I could gather, I let out a breath as I spoke our language to him once again. It was like a fine wine, washing over me, filling me with joy and wonder.

        "They are not responsible for my hair nor braid. There is much to speak about." I said to him. He let out a chuckle, harsh and dry, reaching for the knife from his hip.

        "Yes, we do. But, I shall kill this so called King first." He looked at me. "And then we shall return home. Together." My eyes grew wide as he lunged forward. And what I did next shocked Maketis, Tenos, and Kratos. I grabbed the knife from Maketis, stopping the deadly blow of the blade. I held onto the blade with my hand, allowing it to cut into the skin as I held him back. Maketis looked at me, eyes large, his breathing fast, pupils dilated. I had never seen him like this before. This was not the man that I had known for so long. This was a killer. A murderer.

         "Release my blade, Vixas. I have made a promise before the gods to kill this man." He growled out, looking Kratos in the eyes as he spoke. I let out a breath, stepping forward to tighten my grip on the blade. "You are hurting yourself!" He yelled at me.

        "Pain is temporary. Death is permanent. You may have killed men in battle, but this is not a war to be won. Release your blade." I said simply, looking at him. I don't know why I was choosing to protect this man, but if he was to die, it would be at my hand. "You do not have the right to kill him."

        "I vowed, Vixas. Any man or woman that stood in my way of reuniting us would die. And he is now in the way. Why do you not want this man to be killed?!" He yelled out. I let out a breath, stepping forward until he reached for me, wrapping his arms around me instinctively. I wasn't rewarded with the warmth that I had hoped, but it did help calm my frantic heart.

         "He is not yours to kill." I whispered in our tongue, gazing down at the cuffs. "You have found me, yes, but there is much more to this than you know. He may deserve to die, but he always is responsible for thousands of innocent lives. Do you truly wish to see Mother Tree when you die, with thousands of lives and blood on your hands? He will die, we all must. Today... today is not that day." I whispered to him. He looked at the cuffs, only to drop the blade, leaving it in my hand, reaching for the cuff that now held a small amount of blood. With eyes wide, he looked at the cuffs, only to let out a sharp breath of rage.

         "You shall pay for this." Maketis growled out, slowly raising his head to look at Kratos. Neither looked away, only stood there, challenging the other. The tension was high, and I could feel the crackle of danger whip the air.

         "Step down." I ordered, looking the guards in the eyes. They turned to Kratos, seeing if they should follow the order. He nodded his head simply. They dropped their weapons back to their sides, allowing me to drop the blade to the ground. A few drops of blood fell to the floor, one landing on the blade with a small slash. Kratos instantly ripped the cloth of his shirt, stepping forward to help with the wound, only to stop as Maketis let out a possessive growl, bringing me close to him.

          "Enough!" I said to them. They instantly stopped, only allowing Kratos to step forward to help with my wound. "There are things that you do not know, and things that will never be understood. I do not fully understand myself." I whispered, looking between the two men. Kratos took great care of wrapping the wound, keeping the flow of blood to a small amount.

          "We must take you to the healer." Kratos whispered down at me, his black and blue eyes darkening when he looked at Maketis. "I suggest you release her, Warrior." he growled out. My eyes widened at the threat underlined in his voice.

         "But there is a time and place for everything. You are no better than him, trying to keep me locked away and hidden, not allowing me to see my own people!" I growled out at Kratos. "If you truly believe that I could ever trust you after something like this, you are wrong." He looked away in shame, finishing the cloth tie. "Things are different here, and we cannot make a scene with the civilians of this Kingdom so nearby. If we wish to speak, then we shall do so inside. Just like you wanted." I said, looking at Kratos with a glare. He looked back, giving nothing away. "No blood but my own will be shed this night. Too many lives have been lost because of me since I was taken, and I refuse to see another life lost because of me." I said.

           "What can I do to make this right?" Kratos asked, bringing me forward into his arms, only to receive a growl and hiss from Maketis as he took a step forward. The guards instantly took their swords, pointing them at Maketis' throat, warning him. He looked at me, eyes wide with rage and confusion.

           "Take me to the healer." I said, avoiding the question. Maketis watched as we stepped back. "I shall explain later. The guards will take you to my chambers, and I shall return there soon. I promise." I said to him, with a small smile. He didn't understand... I didn't either. But, I would not let anyone be killed, let alone harmed because of me.

         Kratos gave the guards the instructions, taking Maketis to my bedchambers, but were told to guard and watch him. I never spoke another word as I was turned away from him, only to be brought to the chapel to seek the healer. There would be bloodshed tonight, but it would be by my hands. He has kept me from my people for an unknown amount of time. And if there was ever a reason to give me all the strength I needed to kill Kratos, it was this.

         And so, by my hand, he would finally die.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 67.3K 51
Amelia Davis is 20 and she's apart of the Moonlight pack. She has already shifted and she hasn't found her mate yet. This doesn't worry her because s...
1.5M 25.9K 24
[COMPLETED] As I was beginning to relax, a new terror coursed through my body at his next word, "Strip." "Ex-excuse me?" I blurted out. I wasn't get...
1.1K 43 42
Book 2 of Stolen HER I'm usually brutally honest. I don't like to sugar coat shit or beat around the bush. But this time, I couldn't want to run furt...
1.3K 60 59
HER It's been over a year since my first taste of blood, since I've learned what it means to truly evolve in order to survive. I'm not proud of what...