Miss Landon and Aubranael

By CharlotteEnglish

Tilby, Lincolnshire, 1811. Miss Sophia Landon is the daughter of an impoverished clergyman. Her father's heal... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35

Part 24

257 32 1
By CharlotteEnglish

I did not send Felebre to Sophy! Ye'll have guessed that much, I imagine. Funny bein', that cat. I reckon there's more there than meets the eye, but try as I might, I cannot find out what.

No matter. 'Twas a full day before I knew that the guide I sent hadn't found my Sophy, and by then... well, a single day can make a lot o' difference, can it not?

Two days after Miss Landon's departure for Grenlowe, a note arrived in the morning's post.

Mr. Stanton,

I will be attending the Alford Assembly on the evening of the 8th of June. May I hope to see you there?

Miss Sophy Landon

The 8th of June was today—and today was his last day as Mr. Stanton. Thank goodness! He was being given a chance; one last chance to set things right and make everything well with Sophy.

But when he showed the note to Grunewald, his friend conspicuously failed to share his elation. The Goblin King (if that was what he was—he had yet to either confirm or deny it to Aubranael) held the note with the tips of two fingers, as though it was dirty, and curled his lip at it.

'What is it?' Aubranael asked anxiously. This was not the reaction he had expected, at all.

Grunewald looked at him as if he was stupid, and said: 'Miss Landon sent this?'

'I—well—apparently?'

Grunewald's eyes narrowed, and then he smiled a smile of pure, malicious glee. It made Aubranael nervous.

'Is that... bad?' Aubranael faltered.

'Bad?' Grunewald said, blinking at him incredulously. 'My dear boy, have you learned nothing?'

Aubranael could only blink back at him, mystified.

Grunewald beamed. 'It is the rules, my dear fellow. A lady and a gentleman may not correspond unless they are married, closely related or engaged to each other. That goes doubly if neither party is married to someone else.'

Aubranael thought that through.

'Are you engaged to Miss Landon?' Grunewald prompted.

'I... no.'

'Indeed. In which case, Miss Landon knowingly breaks all the conventions of polite society in sending this note to you. In doing so, she runs a great risk; for if it became known that she had sent you a note, her reputation would be considerably tarnished. It is a serious matter for single young ladies, and Miss Landon's situation is already delicate.' He grinned widely again and added, 'I never would have thought it of her.'

Clearly he intended this reflection as a compliment, but Aubranael could hardly view it as such.

'Perhaps that is why...' he began weakly.

Grunewald raised a brow.

'Perhaps she is pushed to desperate measures by... because circumstances...'

'That will not do as a defence,' Grunewald said with a malicious twinkle in his eyes. 'You are suggesting to me that she is desperate enough to go "on the catch", as I believe the charming phrase goes, and risk everything in order to 'land' a rich husband. In this instance, you.'

Aubranael frowned. This did not sound like Miss Landon at all. But that the note came from her, he did not doubt; who else would have sent it, and signed it with Sophy's name? He could only shrug helplessly, and put the matter from his mind. The more important problem was that he had only a few hours to prepare for the Assembly, since the journey there would take up the rest of the afternoon.

He spent a great deal of time at his looking-glass; it took more than an hour for him to realise that his borrowed good looks would shortly be withdrawn, and therefore what was the use of attempting to please Miss Landon this way? He would only be giving her an example of what she would not, henceforth, be enjoying. A spasm of dread twisted his stomach; he was not looking forward to going back to being Aubranael. It had not taken him long to get used to being sought-after instead of avoided. He could relinquish the extreme popularity of a Mr. Stanton, he thought; much of it was based on purely superficial considerations, and he had little value for that. But the universal acceptance he enjoyed was a different matter. He could go anywhere without being ashamed of himself, knowing that the people he met would be pleased to meet him—or at least, that they would not be horrified and uncomfortable as soon as they saw his face.

With a deep sigh, he abandoned his looking-glass and left his dressing-room behind. He ought not to indulge such reflections. Instead he should focus on Miss Landon: hers was the only opinion that really mattered. If she would only accept him as he was, everyone else may treat him as badly as they desired and it would not matter at all.

Grunewald let him take the carriage without a word of complaint or censure. His eyes, though, gleamed with something like contempt as he watched Aubranael settle himself inside, dressed in the very best of his clothes and wearing his nerves like a cloak.

'Enjoy yourself,' Grunewald said drily as the coach began to move.

Aubranael made no reply. Enjoying himself was probably out of the question, as his friend well knew. All he was concerned about was acquitting himself without embarrassment, pleasing Miss Landon, and surviving the evening without catastrophe.

But the promise of catastrophe seemed to hang in the air over the carriage, following him all the way to Alford. When he got out of the carriage before the Assembly Rooms, it settled about his shoulders, weighing him down and dampening all his best efforts at good cheer. He went inside with leaden steps and a heavy heart, suddenly gripped with a paralysing fear that Miss Landon had not sent the note at all and she was not here.

But she was. She was waiting near the door—just as he himself had done a few weeks ago, on the occasion of the Adairs' private ball—and she stepped forward to meet him. Her face was alight with pleasure, her face lit with the sunny smile he loved so much, and his heart eased a little.

'Miss Landon,' he murmured, making his very best bow. 'I am so pleased to see you safely returned from your journey.'

She curtseyed, and smiled on him some more. 'How very kind of you!' she declared. 'Perhaps it was naughty of me to go off unattended like that. I ought to take a gentleman with me, next time.'

She smiled at him archly as she spoke, and the implications of her little speech were clear even to him. She held his gaze too long, and his cheeks flushed with warmth. What was she doing? He felt out of his depth.

Clearing his throat, he managed to say: 'May I claim the next dance?' with tolerable composure. She acquiesced gracefully, and they had only a few minutes of conversation—arch on her side, awkward on his—before the dancing began. He led her into the set with relief; at least for the next half-hour or so he could focus on getting the steps right and not on the strange verbal fencing-match that appeared to be going on with Miss Landon.

But he was soon relieved of this comforting expectation. It wasn't only her manner that was different; so was her dancing. She came closer to him than was strictly considered proper; she stroked his fingers when he took her hand; she looked up at him from beneath coyly lowered lashes, held his gaze for long, long moments, and blushed frequently. Nothing could be more unlike the gracious, dignified warmth of her earlier behaviour.

'You are different, Miss Landon,' he ventured to say after quarter of an hour.

'Oh?' she said with a pleased smile. 'In what way am I different?'

Aubranael stared at her, at a loss to know what to say. How could he describe her behaviour? He did not know the words—and besides, it could not be considered gentlemanly to throw her unseemly manner in her face in such a fashion. So he stuttered something incoherent, and she laughed. Was he imagining the glint of cruel enjoyment in her eye?

'You know what people say of Aylfenhame,' she said lightly. 'It changes you.'

Had it changed her? She had been gone only two days. Remarkably fast work, if so. But did he disapprove of the changes? Grunewald's reaction to her note had given him a bad feeling, and if the stares and whispers at the Assembly were anything to go by, the good folk of Alford did not approve of Miss Landon's behaviour either.

But what did it really mean? Naïve as he undoubtedly was, even he recognised that it signalled a very definite interest on her part. Previously, he had been left in considerable doubt as to the nature and strength of Miss Landon's feelings towards him; she was always friendly and obliging, always seemed at least a little bit pleased to see him, but she had never given him anything that he could call encouragement.

Now every word, every movement seemed designed to do just that. She was encouraging him with all her might, and no one could mistake it.

A flutter of pleasure ran through him at the thought. She liked him! Liked him a very great deal, in fact, and she wanted him to know it! He might venture to guess that her business in Grenlowe had not worked out as she had hoped; but since she had not confided her business to him herself, he felt he was not in a position to enquire after it.

He suffered a note of discomfort at that thought; was she, as Grunewald had put it, trying to 'catch' at him because she had no other option? That was hardly flattering, and he would not wish such a desperate situation upon her for the world—not even if he was the eventual beneficiary of it. But nonetheless, her manner began to please him. They danced again and again, with no objection at all from her, and he began to feel increasingly elated. She adored him; she would forgive him anything! Everything would be well after all.

Relief and delight soon drowned out his misgivings, and for the first time he allowed his extreme partiality for her to show. The rest of the ballroom was a blank to him; he saw nothing of anyone else's doings, had no interest in anything they had to say. All he saw was Sophy.

Late in the evening, when they had danced as much as they could desire, Miss Landon cast him a significant look, smiled invitingly at him and took his hand. 'Come with me,' she whispered, and drew him towards the door. Unhesitating, he followed.

She led him out of the ballroom—oblivious to the mutterings they left behind—and through the corridors beyond until she found a quiet, dark nook away from the bustle of the assembly. She drew him close to her, and still closer, until her face was only inches from hers; only then did she release his hand.

'Mr. Stanton,' she breathed. 'Aubrey...' She slipped a hand behind his head, twined her fingers in his hair, and drew his face down to hers.

Her lips were incredibly soft. He returned her kiss—only the second of his life—with fervour, holding her soft, warm curves close to him. She kissed every bit as well as Hidenory; better, even, because this was Sophy and he would give anything at all—the whole of Aylfenhame, if he had it—if she would only accept the gift of his heart.

He grew breathless, but Sophy continued to kiss him and he couldn't let go of her. His knees grew so weak he could barely stand, and his hands shook as he held her to him. When she finally pulled away, he could only rest his face against her neck and gasp, 'Sophy... marry me?'

She beamed up at him. 'I thought you would never ask,' she whispered.

He gripped her. 'Is that a yes?'

'Yes! Of course it is.'

For a few minutes, Aubranael entirely lost control of his emotions. He could only cling to her and smile and kiss her again and again, his whole body shaking with relief and excitement and desire. His heart swelled with happiness and he could barely breathe.

At length, however, some unwelcome recollections pierced his cloud of happiness and he was obliged to calm down. She had said yes—yes! She was his Sophy at last—but she had done so without knowing the whole truth about him. His promise to Hidenory rang in his ears, and today was the eighth of June.

'Sophy,' he said in a serious tone, gently disengaging her arms from around his neck. 'Before we... I mean, there is something I must tell you. I should not have asked you before I had... that is, please listen to me for a moment.'

She said nothing, only smiled up at him with such a sweetly loving expression that his heart spasmed and his stomach jumped with fear. Would she take back her beautiful yes once she knew? Would that loving expression turn to hatred?

His shakes were back. Taking a small step away from her, he hid his trembling hands behind his back and opened his mouth. But he couldn't speak. The words would not come. All he could see in his mind's eye was Sophy's sweet face turning white with horror; of her rejecting him, storming away, never consenting to see him again. If he had been in her position he would probably have done the same. How could he claim to love her when he had lied so deeply, and for so long?

She watched him for a long, awkward moment, her smile faltering. Then in a whisper she said: 'What is the time?'

Aubranael blinked, confused. He was on the brink of making a confession—he had prepared her for something very important indeed—and she was asking about the time?

'I hardly know,' he said. 'Late.'

She smiled. 'Almost midnight.'

Midnight! It had not occurred to him to wonder exactly when Hidenory's enchantment would wear off. He had not expected to be standing with Miss Landon when it did. He had thought that he would go to bed on the night of the eighth, and wake on the morning of the ninth with his own face restored. But midnight was the precise end of the eighth of June—it would make perfect sense for the enchantment to be over on the stroke of twelve.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 551 22
Olivia Pendragon - the daughter of a king, the life of a peasant. Oliva had always known that she was of importance to the royal court - she just did...
2.1K 546 30
Sensitive but smart, Olivia Clifton moves from leafy Surrey to the noisier suburbs of north west London with her older sister Sophia and parents when...
506 35 34
"A fantastical cross between the Beauty and the Beast and ACOTAR." A prince, a witch, and a wolf are tied together by the sins of their parents. Can...
283 28 7
Hannah Reeveer is the last one left of a long line of witches, her family has always been the protectors of the little town she lives in. One day st...