Protecting Her. (Under Heavy...

By BringMe_TheBooks

Lacey Jay Teller moves to a new town, new school, new everything. Only things are... different. She's just tr... More

Disclaimer
Chapter One [Edited]
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.

Chapter Seven.

250 7 0
By BringMe_TheBooks

Chapter Seven.
Lacey's POV.

I walk out the front door and lock it. The cold breeze sweeps across my exposed stomach. I'd decided to wear a grey crop top, black skinny jeans and my military boots. My usual leather jacket gives me a small amount of protection from the cold.

I turn and smile at them. "Okay Lacey you can come with-" Nate starts but is soon cut off. "Me." Seth says in a more dominant voice. I throw him a confused glance but nevertheless follow him into his car. I get in the passenger side, Seth closing the door after me and getting into the drivers side.

We drive in near silence till we reach the end of the road. "You seem... in a bad mood." I state and he shrugs. "You would be too if you had to deal with a clingy bitch." He snaps and I sigh. "Oh I feel I've had to deal with her a few times already." I say and he chuckles. "Yeah I've seen." He says and I smile.

We reach the cinema and buy tickets and snacks before heading into the screen room. We head to the back and I end up say between Nate and Seth, Jamie sat next to Nate. I don't know why we got separated but I guess we wouldn't be talking anyway.

I crack my knuckles and decide to take my jacket off. I slip my arms out and set it down by my feet. Sitting back I rest my arms slightly on the arm rests and keep my gaze on the screen. The adverts start and I laugh slightly at some of the funny thing that pop up. I quickly text Jax letting him know where I am before turning my phone off and place it in my pocket. The film starts and I can automatically tell that I'm going to like it, full of action and blood.

I feel something warm in my hand, looking down I see Seth's hand subconsciously holding mine. This is kinda weird, but nice, and I don't want to draw attention to the fact that he's holding my hand because judging by the distant and focused look in his eye I'd say he hasn't realised. I remain still and almost groan aloud when Nate's arm drapes around my shoulders. Did he just? Really?! I mean sure he's cute and all but he's also a major player and I'm not a part of that game. Keeping my eyes focused on the screen I try ignore the conflicting feeling cohercing through my body.

The movie ends and I quickly stand up, pretending to stretch. I slip my jacket back on and turn to Jamie. "Hey I come around tomorrow for revision?" I ask her trying to avoid both Nate and Seth. I knew coming was a bad idea. "Sure! I might need your help too anyway." She says and I smile thanking her and giving her a hug. "We'll arrange it tomorrow." I say as we exit the cinema, making our way to the arcade. Guess we're staying out for a few hours, better text Jax again. Letting him know I'm staying out for a bit, I put my phone away and smile at Jamie again. "You could have warned me about the surprise calculus test!" I say and she laughs. "What would be the fun in that?" She says between laughs. "Oh I see how it is." I say pouting. "I'm sorry." She says smiling. "Come on! We're going to get a milkshake!" I say and she laughs. "Lacey it's half ten! Nowhere is going to be open!" She says and I roll my eyes. "When I first came here, I couldn't sleep so I went to Insomnia Cookies and they do amazing milkshakes! Come on!" I say and shaking her head she walks with me. Josh joins us, adamant I'm paying for a milkshake for him. "Who said chivalry is dead." I joke and he looks at me like I've grown two extra heads. "What does that mean?" He asks and I chuckle ruffling his hair. "Oh Josh it's a good job you're good looking." I say and he grins. "You think I'm good looking?" He asks and I nod. "Who doesn't you moron!" I say rolling my eyes and he hugs me kissing my cheek. "Calm down there tiger." I laugh and Jamie laughs at the situation unfolding in front of her.

We order and Josh instantly flirts with the girl who is obviously praying to clock off early. "He's quick." Jamie says and I nod. "Oh that reminds me. I was meaning to ask you, how come you never bothered with them? Like most girls were drooling over their every moment, but not you." I say and she smile. "I'm not going to lie to myself and say I don't think they're good looking because damn they are, but they're arrogant and it makes me cringe. The way they use girls, it makes my skin crawl. They don't care enough about others feelings, and so I've always distanced myself from them. I've been best friends with Denver all my life, hence why he was the only one I spoke to before you arrived and brought us all together. I'll admit they're cool, but I still dislike their obvious disrespect for most women." She says and I nod. I can understand where she's coming from.

I'm left with no other option but to ride back with Seth, everyone else desperate to get home. I slide into his car, the silence deafening. "Enjoy the movie?" I ask and he shrugs. "It was ok. I only went because I'd promised Nate and Josh I would go see it with them months ago." He says and I nod. I don't really know what to say now. "How about you?" He asks. "Sorry, what?" I ask realising he spoke to me. "Did you enjoy it." He asks and I smile. "It was okay, to say I'd planned to stay in with a tub of ice cream and binge watch some random boring show." I say and he laughs. "Sounds exciting." He mocks and I roll my eyes. "Don't diss." I defend. "As if its only Tuesday tomorrow." I say sighing. "More time to get ready for Nate's Halloween party." Seth comments and I raise a brow. "For you maybe." I say and he glances at me. "And you?" He questions and I shake my head. "Most definitely not! I'd rather not prolong my healing thank you very much." I say and he shakes his head. "You know that wasn't your fault." He sighs and I scoff. "We all know it quite clearly was. I was reckless. I could have handled that so much better, but no! I went straight for fighting." I say looking out of the window as the trees fly past. "Don't do that go yourself. You were doing your best at the time." He says and I just remain silent. We pull up just as Jax gets out of his car. "Thanks for the ride. See you later." I say quickly and rush out. I reach Jax and know what's coming already. "Don't tell me you were alone with him." He says and I groan. "He simply gave me a ride, the rest all just wanted to get home." I say and he nods. Slinging his arm over my shoulders he guides me inside. I go straight upstairs and sit on my window seat. I heard the roar of an engine and look out to see Seth begin to drive away. Shaking my head I head to my bed and slip into some shorts and a t shirt, sitting down on my bed with my laptop on my lap. I take a sleeping pill, but knowing it'll be a miracle if I sleep, I begin watching Family Guy on my laptop.

The hours tick by slowly and I sigh, its four am. Maybe a run will help clear my mind. Quickly changing I leave Jax a note saying I've gone on a run, before heading out of the door.

I run to the beat of my song, passing houses and building a like. I run through the park, past the cinema, and into a slightly rougher section of town. I continue to run, only occasionally stopping to take a drink or a quick breather. I run back round till I reach the park, the sun just starting to rise now. It must be about six ish. I sprint home and not bothering to see Jax, aim straight for my bathroom for a much needed shower.

I dress in my usual simple white vest and black distressed skinny jeans. I opt for some chunky heeled ankle boots and throw my hair under a beanie, not having the effort to tame the mess. I do quick make up and then head downstairs to my car. I'm later than usual, because I went for a run. But I definitely needed that, because my head doesn't feel as clouded, I managed to stop thinking of what ifs. Parking up, I head straight for my locker. As usual, Josh shamelessly flirts, only this time he's telling the story of him as a hero. Rolling my eyes I meet Jamie and Denver at my locker. Together we head to art together and I sigh. I'm so far behind but I really have to pass calculus so I've been spending any free time on that.

I take my seat and smile again at the empty seat beside me. Jamie sits on the corner, Denver beside her. I get out my art work and collect some stationary. I pull out my completed art work piece and quickly sign it before laying it on the desk beside me, until someone clears their throat. "Do you mind?" Seth asks and I jump. "When did you get here?" I ask and he frowns. "I was made to start actually turning up to this class." He says and I nod. "Sorry." I say pulling my artwork back into the folder.

I put my earphones in and select Vectors by Area 11. I begin sketching out the basic outlines of a girls face. I like to start simple, it helps me imagine where the real details will go.

*

It's Friday... rather than partying the night away like most on Halloween, Jamie and I sit huddled under the blanket, attempting to learn history, calculus and catch up on art work.

My phone buzzed yet again, followed by a familiar ring of Jamie's. "They won't take no for a bloody answer." I grumble ignoring my phone and trying to power through the calculus questions, while simultaneously doing sections of art work. I quiz Jamie on history in order to get some clues on how to work it out. I really hate damn calculus!

Our phones ring simultaneously and we both ignore them. They guys have pestered us all week to go to this amazing Halloween party, but after last time, I'd rather not. "They have plenty of resilience, that's for sure." Jamie says and my phone buzzes. I let my gaze flit to the screen to see Alexa. Not her too.
I can't believe you ditched me with all the guys so you could do calculus! Talk about priorities ;) thought I'd warn you some of the guys set off about ten minutes ago to come get you x

Just as my eyes pass the last word there's a loud knock at the door and I groan. "She couldn't have warned us sooner?" I ask and Jamie sighs getting up walking while dusting flecks of eraser off of her clothes. I follow closely behind her as she opens the door I remain hidden by the door. "Call Lacey down with you, you're coming to the party." I hear Josh says and I watch as Jamie shakes her head. "She's not here and I'm not really in a good mood." Jamie says in a small voice. "Well we went to her house first and she's not there and her car is here so..." Seth says and I mentally thank Jamie for at least trying to cover for me. "I round the corner and roll my eyes at the sight of Josh, Denver and Seth stood there with their arms crossed expectantly. "I'm a bit tired and my hand is throbbing so I'm probably better off not going to a party where people can nock it and redamage it." I lie, my hand feels perfectly fine. "A bit of alcohol will make it all better." Josh says swaying slightly. "No end of." I say but they just walk in. I mouth a quick sorry to Jamie and follow them into the kitchen. "You might as well get into your costumes quickly, we're missing party time." Denver says and I shake my head. "We don't want to fucking go just drop it!" I say and they chuckle. "You don't have a choice." Seth says and I just grab Jamie's hand and drag her into the living room. "What do we do?!" She asks and I sigh. "I don't know. They're not giving up. I'm tired of arguing." I say and she nods her head. "We could go for an hour and I'll bring us back then? You could sleep here?" She offers. "Go for an hour, but I'll need to go home Jax and I have a deal." I say and she nods. "Okay. Lets go get ready." She says and I send her on her way while I go talk to the boys in the kitchen. "One hour. That's it! After that Jamie and I are leaving!" I say and they nod.

I head upstairs and begin to get ready, a lovely string of curse words flowing from my mouth like poison.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 555 40
(Before You Leave #1) She was sent to boarding school over the smallest of mistakes... Okay, burning down your schools gym might have been a big one...
387K 10.9K 48
#908 in Teen Fiction '9/12/2016' #788 in Teen Fiction '18/1/2017' Life could be really tough. It could be sunshine-y and peachy but just like that, i...
5.7K 318 23
"Hey Princess." "Wh..at is your problem?! Why are y..you following me?!" "Are you scared of me?" he asked with a smirk on his face. "N..no I am no..t...
1.6K 27 27
Hailey Martin has never been one to stick out in a crowd. She's always been perfectly happy to hang out in a corner, listening to her favourite playl...