More Issues In Aruba | ✔️

By BellaLunaa

*Sequel to More Issues Than Vogue* Three years after Haley Monroe interned at Forward magazine, she's now one... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
Thank You

Chapter 6

25.8K 1.3K 534
By BellaLunaa

Chapter 6

Later that night, I was getting ready to head over to the pool with Nicole as the product of something only seen out of the movies.

Her, Ricky, and Bessa, had taken delight in torturing me all day. I had gotten my first Brazilian bikini wax (I'm surprised I made it off the table with the lower half of my body still attached), my eyebrows had gotten assaulted through threading (I actually cried), it took two hours for Ricky to find the perfect red day dress that could transition into night with a classy and sophisticated feel (his words, not mine), and after a heated hour of debate, I had convinced them that I was going to get a simple French manicure instead of fake acrylics the color of blood (it actually took an hour of convincing).

My dinner with Nate wasn't even until Friday night and already they were acting like it was in two hours.

Anyway, I was completely relieved to finally get back to the hotel to change into something comfortable to wear to the pool. A part of me was excited to see Max there because it was new for me to make a connection without having anyone else be the middle man. I was comfortable going out of my way to make friends, instead of staying low and waiting for someone to come find me. No longer was I the closeted bookworm who was too lame to even approach other professionals in my field.

I assumed tonight was going to be similar to the first night where I witnessed a bunch of professionals in the writing industry running around like drunken messes as if we were at a college frat party. While it was unconventional, as a writer myself, I knew how hard it was to completely let go of work and stop the mind from thinking of what the next topic or article you're going to write is. The publishing industry was more fast paced than most think it to be and I found myself continually trying to stay ahead of falling behind.

That being said, I thought we rightfully deserved to let loose for a month. The thought alone of the amount of work I'd have to catch up on once back home was enough to make me want to do a keg stand.

Once I had settled on a simple cotton dress and sandals, and Nicole had finally finished applying a thin layer of body shimmer (didn't know that existed until this moment), we headed down to the pool. As Nicole chatted on and on about some writer from Vogue she was thinking of getting free shoes from, my mind was surprisingly flashing images of Nate.

I'd be lying if I said he hadn't been on my mind since we literally bumped into each other the other day. Was I nervous about dinner tomorrow night? Just a little, if only because of the backlash I knew we would receive once the media got wind of it, which would probably happen the instant we were even seen at the same restaurant together. We were at a writer's retreat - this was an article practically writing itself.

But behind all the worry, there was mostly curiosity. What had Nate been up to for the past three years? How was his family? Was he dating anyone?

To top off that curiousity, I could only imagine what questions he had for me.

My biggest fear was that we would realize that we had grown up into two different adults from who we once were, and that these two new versions of Nate and Haley wouldn't get along. I had no hidden intentions for this dinner - I couldn't say the same for Nate - but at the very least, I did want him back in my life as a friend. He and I had this very complicated understanding of each other, a connection only we shared. He was, after all, the first friend I truly ever met in New York and to some people that may be insignificant, but to me, that fact had sentimental value.

He had done wrong, made his fair share of mistakes, and undoubtedly hurt me. I still had no regrets for forgiving him and moving on. I was able to breathe easier for the past three years because of it. Nate seemed as if he'd done a bit of growing up, matured in his own way at his own pace, and I could only be rooting him on from the sidelines. While the events from the internship would forever be a forceful contributor to the stronger and wiser  person I am today, I knew it had done the same for him. We both came out of it a bit bruised, but not entirely broken.

A part of me hoped we could still be the Haley and Nate I once knew us to be - carefree, happy, and naive to any consequence.

"Haley are you even listening to me?" Nicole smacked my arm once we were poolside.

I snapped my attention back to her. "Huh?"

"God," She rolled her eyes. "I asked what you wanted to drink?"

"Oh, can you get me a Mai Tai?"

"Ooooh, exotic," Nicole's eyes sparkled. "I love it. I'll be right back."

When Nicole left to get our drinks, my eyes scoped out the area. It was exactly like the night before with the open bar, cabana's full of people, pool full of people, and dancefloor full of people. Everyone was either shrieking, laughing, or doing both at the same time. It was a mess but I had to appreciate the wildness of it all. It was definitely a different scenery from the overcrowded hot and sweat bars of New York City.

I found Max sitting with a group of guys underneath one of the cabana's. If this had been three years ago, I would have never gone over to him without someone attached to my side. But now, I had no problem walking to the cabana with my head held high and a bright smile on my face.

"Hey Max!" I greeted him just as he was ending a conversation with a guy in a straw fedora hat.

"Haley! You made it!" Max seemed pleased to see me and even offered a hug. "Would you like a drink?"

"My friend Nicole is already at the bar getting us some Mai Tai's," I informed him. "How was your walk on the beach?"

"Relaxing as hell, it was much needed after a long day of seminars. Did you get in a good nap?"

I nodded. "It was also relaxing as hell."

"You seem well rested," He smiled before turning his body to the group of guys that I noticed were starting to stare at me as if I was some type of celebrity. "Let me introduce you to the whole gang - this is Riley, Mike, Omar, and Johnny. We're all writers at the Times."

Each guy gave me a respectful wave or a handshake. Riley, the guy with the fedora, even gave me a hug. I felt my body radiating from all the positive energy I was receiving from this group.

"Nice to meet you all."

"Guys, this is Haley Monroe," Max emphasized my last name.

"As in Henry Monroe's daughter? So, this is the girl Max has been talking nonstop about! Nice to finally meet," Riley smiled.

I turned to Max who had the faintest of blushed cheeks. How flattering of him to speak about me and my dad! I always felt proud whenever my dad was recognized for his talent, and it seemed that he was still admired by a great group of writers.

"I'll have to mention to my dad that he's still a legend at work," I smiled at them. "It's great to hear that his writing has left quite a legacy."

"Are you kidding? Your dad wrote some of the most controversial pieces in Times history. Half the articles on the Hall of Fame wall are his," Johnny responded raising his glass as if a toast to my dad.

"Would you ever consider working at the Times?" Riley asked.

"I'm sure my dad would love that, but honestly, the magazine world has been a great experience. As much as I respect the Times, I'm having a great time at the New Yorker. I have actually dreamed of writing for Time magazine, though."

"Ah, you want to write the life-changing pieces," Max nodded.

"I sure do!" I smiled

"Wait, you're that intern from Forward, aren't you?" Mike squinted his green eyes at me.

I inwardly sighed. I knew this was going to happen eventually. People were going to recognize me, acknowledge Nate as the Director of the Retreat, and put two and two together that we were stuck on an island for an entire month. I had mentally tried to prepare myself for the speculation, questions, and gossip that would ensue.

Surrounded by some of the greatest writers in the industry today, someone was going to produce some type of story. Whether the truth would be exposed is a different question.

"Yes," I replied shortly. "I am."

Where the hell is Nicole with those Mai Tai's?

"Damn, that was a harsh ass stunt someone pulled during that EPAA Gala," Riley whistled.

"Oh, that was you!" Omar snapped his fingers as if it suddenly just now clicked. "You're kinda famous. Everyone here has been talking about you and Nate Chester nonstop."

Had this moment happened even a year ago, I would have turned beet red and made up any excuse to run back to my hotel room. But now, I was just irritated that people were constantly making this situation a bigger deal than it needed to be and it was time for me to shut it down. I was tired of having everyone look at me as just that intern from Forward.

"I know, I'm sure everyone has. But, I'm also here because I pretty damn good at my job now and like you guys, I want to relax and leave everything in New York back where it belongs so we can all have a good time."

I turned to Max who seemed to beam at my response. When he looked to the other guys, they were all nodding in understanding.

"I feel it, no one wants their personal business out there," Riley replied. "Respect to you."

The other guys raised their glasses to me.

Where the hell was Nicole? I could have used about three drinks by now.

"There you are!"

I whipped around and found Nicole approaching.

"I've been looking for you everywhere. What are you d-? Well, hello." Nicole gave a fascinated sultry look when she spotted the guys behind me.

"Nicole, meet Max, Riley, Mike, Omar, and Johnny," I swiped my drink from her and began taking gulps after I gave brief introductions.

Nicole slid right past me to get a closer look before forcing her hand at each of them. "It is nice to meet you boys."

Riley had taken off his fedora hat when he introduced himself. "It is nice to meet you too."

I took a break from drinking to give Max a stare that said "What did we do?"

He gave me one back that seemed to say, "I have no idea."

Then we both silently laughed with each other as Nicole launched into the same story about the Vogue writer and free shoes I had tuned out of on our way down.

"So tell me, how is it like working at the New Yorker?" Max said when the both of us stepped aside to let Nicole take the spotlight.

"It's fantastic! I love my co-workers, I get to write creative pieces, I've gotten the opportunity to meet influential writers, and there's a gelato bar in the lunchroom. The gelato is one of the main reason I bother showing up to work some days," I answered.

"A gelato bar? That doesn't seem real."

"Oh, trust me. The ten pounds I put on from eating two scoops a day makes it very real," I joked, even though it was completely true. I couldn't fit into the same pair of jeans I wore when I first moved to New York but to be honest, who really cared? I got free gelato everyday.

"I think I'm going to need to take a visit down your neck of the woods and get some free gelato," He replied.

"I don't think that's a good idea. You're stepping into enemy territory. I can't promise I'll be able to protect you."

"Not if I go undercover," Max pointed. "Maybe I could be a cousin visiting from out of town?"

"I do have a cousin named Paul who has the same haircut as you..." I played along. "But if you get to visit my office, it's only fair I visit yours as your distant cousin Andrea."

"Coincidentally, I do have a distant cousin named Andrea," He said. "Although, I don't think you'd be able to go undercover seeing as you just met some of our best writers."

"Think they're drunk enough to forget they ever met me?"

The both of us looked at the group who were now cheering Nicole on as she began chugging down a bottle of Corona.

"That might be a high possibility," He laughed with me. "Are you from New York?"

"I'm originally from San Francisco," I answered.

"No way! Me too!"

I was taken aback by this. I had made many friends in the publishing industry yet I was only now realizing that Max was the only person I've met who's from San Francisco.

"Really? I don't remember the last time I met someone from back home! Did you grow up in the city?"

Max nodded suddenly seeming particularly excited about the topic. "Yeah, I grew up in a small house by the Marina. You?"

"My parents were lucky enough to find an apartment on rent control in FiDi. We have place in downtown that's blocks away from Market Street."

"Right in the heart of the city!"

"It's nothing compared to Manhattan though. It's a different world out there."

"It surely is. It makes San Francisco seem like a tiny village. SF will always be home, but Manhattan seems as if it's from a different country. Sounds totally cliche coming from a writer, but it's true," He said.

The smile on my face was bright. He described my feelings for San Francisco and Manhattan perfectly! "I couldn't agree more. I've never been more myself than I have been since I moved here. Does that make sense? Manhattan has only brought out the best in me."

"Yes!" He snapped his fingers. "That's exactly it! I thrive here in the city. There's inspiration everywhere."

After I took two large gulps of my Mai Tai I said, "Is that the secret to your incredible pieces? Getting inspiration from the city?"

"Absolutely. Anywhere, really. Even here right now. Take that for example," He turned his body back to Nicole and the rest of the guys who were now cheering Omar on to chug a bottle of Corona (it literally was a scene out of college). "Omar is one of the shyest, most introverted guys I know. Nicole, seems like-"

"The loudest, most outgoing girl I have ever met in my life," I finished for him.

He laughed. "Exactly. There's an article right there - if, for a day, you followed Omar and I followed Nicole, had them do the same exact things, how much do you want a bet that our stories would be almost opposite contrasts to each other? You'd learn what it's like to walk in someone else's shoes and ultimately, gain a new respect for someone you knew nothing about."

I don't know if it was the Mai Tai, the heat, or the lack of intimacy in my life, but I was completely turned on by Max's analyzation. Writer talk was hot. It was the most attractive factor a guy could ever have and for him to casually bring something so simple with that much depth into a conversation.

"Wow," I said. "You really do find inspiration in everything. That'd be an incredible piece to read."

"I'm glad you like the idea because it's actually the topic I want to research for my next article," He answered.

"Can I volunteer Nicole as tribute for your research? That girl has a mind that is unpredictable. I never know what she does in a day when we're not together and I'd be interested to find out if she harasses as many people as she does me."

"I'd have to get her consent, but yes. She seems like an interesting candidate for this," He chuckled.

"Are you two done messing around? It's your turn!" At that very moment, Nicole yelled at the both of us and held out two Corona bottles at us. "Come on!"

I held up my half-empty glass. "I still need to finish my drink!"

"Finish it after!" She insisted, stepping to me and pulling my forward. "Here, I'll even help you."

Without hesitation, she handed me the bottle and took my cup, taking sips of my cocktail.

Of course.

"I'm down if you're down, Monroe," Max took the other open bottle from Nicole.

My stomach felt queasy just smelling the Corona. I wasn't a huge fan of beer. But, for the sake of having fun and letting loose, what's one beer?

"Ugh, fine," I gave in and clinked our bottles together.

"Hell yeah!" Riley and the other guys started hollering at us.

"To Paul and Andrea," Max winked at me.

I couldn't help but laugh. "To Paul and Andrea."

I got about halfway through the bottle before I felt as if I were going to puke. Legitimately, I felt all the liquid rising back into my throat and had to set the bottle down. I squeezed my eyes shut, swallowing the foamy liquid, burping up the extra bubbles that were also coming out of my nose.

"Oh god," I choked out.

Max also stopped, though he was already three-fourths into his bottle."I hate Corona."

"Don't be such pussies!" Riley slurred at us.

"Relax, alcoholic," Max said.

I handed my bottle to Nicole in disgust. "I can't do this anymore."

But before she could take it back, Max grabbed it out of my hand. "Don't worry about it, I'll take one for the team."

He took a huge breath, chugged his bottle down, then demolished mine within seconds after. While his colleague's applauded him, Nicole and I both looked at each other and we knew.

"That was kinda hot," I felt myself flush.

"Kinda?" She repeated.

"How on earth did you chug that entire bottle? I felt like throwing up before I even started drinking."

Nicole shrugged carelessly. "I grew up with three older brothers, dated the president of a Fraternity in college, and have done way too many keg stands for me to count. Trust me - that was like a bottle of water to me."

"You continue to surprise me," I laughed, gladly sipping my cocktail.

"Can we dance now?" Nicole grabbed my hand. "You can finish your drink and dance at the same time!"

"Fine," I was feeling loose enough.

After two more cocktails and getting suckered into tequila shots by Riley, I was at a pretty good level hours later. I felt my body physically relax, and any worry I had was completely erase from my mind.

"I have to pee," I told Nicole, feeling the urge come strongly.

"Have fun!" She said, waving me off.

I left the dance floor and went to one of the outside bathroom's they had nearby the pool. It was instant relief when I had finished and began washing my hands. I stared into the mirror. My eyeliner hadn't smudged (I learned a few beauty tricks along the way), my hair wasn't a frizzy mess (thank you Tresemme), and no apparent sweat stains (Dove deodorant, you are the one).

I was in much better shape at this point in the night than I was when I was an intern. I had a tighter grip on things and it felt great to have gained more knowledge. I had grown increasingly confident over the past few years. This was one of the moments it showed.

When I stepped outside, I was met with a cool breeze. Things were starting to wind down, as the DJ started playing slower-paced music and everyone began settling into chairs or sitting poolside to chill out before heading back upstairs.

I found Max sitting by himself at the edge of the pool, dipping his feet into the water. He looked incredibly relaxed and at peace. I went over to join him.

"Hey, thanks for finishing the beer, you didn't have to," I patted Max's arm as I lowered myself down next to him.

"And leave my teammate hanging? That's not how it works, Monroe," He shook his head. "Paul and Andrea stick together."

I laughed, letting my bare feet soak in the calming water. "Wouldn't it be crazy if our cousins actually met?"

"That'd be the biggest coincidence in the world."

"Where does Andrea live?"

"Wait, I'll say where Andrea lives,you say with Paul lives at the same time, and see if it's the same place," He suggested, his eyelids starting to droop just the teeniest.

Mine felt just as heavy. "This isn't going to work but, okay!"

"One, two, three."

"Boston," We both said.

Our eyes widened at each other. Was I this drunk that I could have been imagining it or was this real and both our cousins actually lived in Boston? Either way, this highly amused us and it only took seconds before we were both gasping for air from laughter. The alcohol made laughing easier, like I couldn't stop because it felt damn good to laugh.

"Th-there's no way!" I managed to exclaim.

"Yo, that's crazy," Max squeezed his eyes shut and continued howling.

"You have to be lying!" I claimed.

"What? Even if I was lying, how would I have known that's what you were going to say?" He pointed out.

Common sense clearly wasn't a thing after Mai Tai's. "I just can't believe that happened. Andrea really lives in Boston?"

Max's laughter died down. "I swear! She moved there six months ago for a job at some pharmaceutical company. Does Paul really live in Boston?"

I nodded, still in disbelief at this conversation. "He's lived there his entire life. He's actually a journalist for a local newspaper."

I wasn't particularly close to my cousin Paul because we lived on separate ends of the country, but from the times we have communicated, I knew he was just as passionate about writing as I was. It ran in our blood!

"Damn, that is a crazy coincidence."

"You want to know something funny?" I found myself asking.

"What?"

"My first night in Manhattan, I went to a bar a few blocks down from my apartment. That's when I first met Nate."

Max seemed bewildered. "Did this happen before the internship?"

I nodded, remembering that night crystal clear. "The night before, actually. I was sitting at the bar, he approached me, and introduced himself. And guess what I told him my name was?"

Max gasped. "You didn't, Andrea!"

"I did!" I said, before the both of us began to laugh again.

"Why on earth did you choose that name? Why didn't you just give him your real name?" He asked.

"Because I didn't know him! What if he was some creepy online stalker? I had to give him a fake name just in case that was a possibility. Andrea was the first name that popped into my head," I answered, feeling giddy remembering that wild night. It felt as if it was just yesterday that happened, and not three years ago. "I was young and dumb then. As you can probably tell."

"Hey, we've all made mistakes. I don't have the cleanest track record either," He responded. "Everyone was dumb and young once. I don't hold it against you. You're still a good person."

It was such a relief to hear that. "Thank you, I really appreciate it. Everyone here only sees me as that intern from Forward. I wish people would see that I'm more than that. I worked my butt off to gain my reputation back after that incident."

"You're here at this retreat now. You did something right," He nudged me with his shoulder.

"Someone out there is looking out for me," I looked above at the dark sky. "Is it me, or do you see a whale made out of stars?"

Max laughed loudly at this. "A whale? I swear that's an elephant."

As the night continued, so did the laughs. Max was right. What did I ever have to worry about? What the hell did I care what anyone else thought? I was following Nicole and Madison's advice to have fun and so far, it was working.

Author's Note: Thank you @sweetxnothings_ for the super cute cover! I'm actually obsessed with it! So professionally and cleanly made, I love the way it looks, amazing job!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.1K 3.4K 25
Reyansh Malhotra is the no nonsense multibillionaire and the most coldest mafia leader the country has known. From chopping off heads to firing bulle...
1.5M 89K 44
"I'm soooo in love with this story!" - Seagull88 "Do the rumors intimidate you?" Edison asked. Kit chuckled. "There is something you should know abou...
4.8K 278 20
[Book 1] of NEW JEANS SONGS x BTS FANFIC SERIES Min Yoongi in his last year of high school has never stood out. He's always unintentionally become a...
6.7M 132K 32
"Never Fall for a Bad Boy." That's what Olivia has always been told. So why did she go and do it anyway? And why did he have to be the best friend of...