The Dangers of Islam: The Ter...

By HelenaWon

Dawood Khan, an American Muslim soldier in the US Army, had been an outsider for a good portion of his life... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Homecoming
Chapter 2: Freedoms
Chapter 3: Choices
Chapter 4: Changes
Chapter 5: Reunions
Chapter 6: Departures
Chapter 7: Ruby
Chapter 8: Pakistan
Chapter 9: Beginnings
Chapter 11: Decay
Chapter 12: Goodbyes
Chapter 13: Princess
Chapter 14: Family
Chapter 15: Discoveries
Chapter 16: Extremists
Chapter 17: Unity
Chapter 18: Proposal
Chapter 19: Courtship
Chapter 20: Warriors
Chapter 21: Penguins
Chapter 22: Revenge
Epilogue
Sneak Peek

Chapter 10: Marriage

470 54 7
By HelenaWon

     "What, so you guys shook hands?" Ahmed laughed as Dawood went over his first meeting with Annie for the fifteenth time that week. "Dude, move past that. We've been hanging out all week. She's pretty chill," Dawood shrugged and felt himself blush. "Look at him, acting all shy in front of us," Rana smirked before lightly punching Dawood's arm. "He's blushing! He's blushing!" Ahmed said in a singsong sort of way. "Stop it, both of you," Dawood sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Oh, we're just messing with you," Rana smiled and gave Dawood a hug. "Yeah, I mean she's spending the rest of her life with you, so the main thing is if she gets along with you or not," Ahmed nodded and watched as Jannat ran past them towards the front door. "Speaking of weddings, I think Jannat's about to explode from excitement. I second doesn't go by before she's cooing over Adham," Dawood pointed out. "Have you guys met the guys from his pop group or boy band or whatever?" Rana asked Dawood and Ahmed. "Nope," Dawood shook his head. "I've been running around shopping with Annie for our wedding." "Yeah, and I've been busy sampling the fine cuisines of Lahore. Did you know that they have a street just filled with restaurants? It's literally named Food Street," Ahmed detailed. "I met them yesterday while shopping with Jannat. Good God are they handsome or what?" Rana sighed.

     Dawood smirked and shook his head, "Rana Baji has a crush on Park Street." "Damn right," Rana chuckled and stood up. "Where are you going?" Ahmed called out as Rana headed down the hallway. "I have to go change," Rana waved them off. Dawood smiled and shook his head, "I'm kind of glad she's hanging out with all the ladies. She never gets girl time, you know?" "Hey, any time she's busy and not nagging me, I'm totally okay with it," Ahmed chuckled and tossed an apple to Dawood. "Thanks," Dawood smiled before taking a bite out of the fruit. "What have you got planned for today?" Ahmed asked. "I don't know. Annie is going wedding outfit shopping with her family and I already have my outfit. Did you know that traditional groom outfits are called sherwanis?" Dawood asked as he finished his apple and tossed the core in a nearby garbage can. "Sounds like some Persian kid I used to know," Ahmed chuckled. Dawood laughed and shook his head before adding, "Well it's not some Persian kid. It's like a traditional shirt with skinny pants. All of it is full of embroidery like from head to toe." "Wait, that funny shirt thing?" Ahmed asked as he looked at Dawood. "Yeah," Dawood nodded. "Dude, I was WITH you when we bought that! The dude kept saying you were so tall so they had to custom make you the skinny pants," Ahmed said as he tossed a pillow at Dawood. "Oh, yeah," Dawood grinned sheepishly.

     "Sir," Faisal walked up to Dawood and smiled. "What's up, Faisal Uncle?" Dawood smiled at the man. "There is someone outside who wishes to see you," Faisal explained. "Really? Okay, I'm coming," Dawood nodded and hopped onto is feet. "Want me to come too?" Ahmed asked. "That's without asking," Dawood grinned. As they made their way outside, Dawood spotted an unknown car sitting in the driveway. As he approached the car, the sunroof slid open and out popped Ruby. "Assalam alaikum, Dawood Bhai!" Ruby grinned as she waved at Dawood. "R-Ruby? Walaikum assalam," Dawood said and shook his head. "Told you I'd find you guys," Ruby grinned before popping back into the car and exiting through the door. "Yeah, you weren't kidding when you said that," Ahmed nodded. "I rarely joke around," Ruby smiled. "Alright, so what are you doing here?" Dawood asked. "I got your invitation to your wedding! Auntie had one sent over," Ruby smiled as she held up an invitation card. "Mama did? How'd she find you?" Dawood asked as he looked at the invitation. He hadn't even seen the cards that had gone out, so he was surprised at the eloquent calligraphy on the card. "Auntie's awesome. She told one of the waiters to give it to me at my restaurant," Ruby smiled.

     "These are awesome," Ahmed said as he looked at the card and read out loud, "In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. You are cordially invited to the wedding of Dawood Khan, son of Harun Khan, to Qurat-ul-Ain Malik, daughter of Badar Malik, on blah, blah, blah." "Why'd they have to list our fathers?" Dawood asked as he looked at the card again. "Traditional Pakistan card writing skills. That and the fact that you are recognized by your father or husband in Pakistan," Ruby shrugged. "Oh," Dawood nodded. "Okay, so since your wedding is so close, Adham Bhai called me and wanted me to kidnap you guys to my house." Ruby smiled. "Wait, I wanted to ask you this back then. How do you know Adham?" Dawood asked. "I'm Rubina Siyal. It only makes sense that I know another oddball in Pakistan, especially since he's famous. Plus, our moms are friends. You'll find that Pakistan is a very small country. Everyone knows everyone either through relatives or connections," Ruby shrugged. "Are we going to be kidnapped now?" Ahmed asked in confusion. "Yeah, I'll get the ropes out in a second. First things first, where is Rana Baji?" Ruby asked as she looked around. "I'll get her," Dawood said before running back inside.

     "Khan! Let me go!" Rana cried out as Dawood carried her outside. Rana threw a murderous stare at Dawood once he placed her on the grass, but didn't have a moment to state her displeasure as Ruby yelled out, "Rana Baji!" "Ruby?" Rana asked and cried out in surprise as Ruby gave her a flying hug. "Yay! Now the gang is complete," Ruby grinned and gave Rana another hug. "You're being clingy," Ahmed pointed out. "Be quiet," Ruby said as she wrinkled her nose. "I like Rana Baji." "Yes, well, you're nice too, Ruby," Rana said and patted the top of Ruby's head cumbersomely. "Okay, now everyone in the car! We are on a schedule!" Ruby exclaimed before hopping back into her car. "Wait, don't we have to tell someone where we are going?" Ahmed asked as he sat in the back of the car. "What are you? Five?" Ruby asked with a scoff. "Plus, Mama and Baba aren't home," Dawood pointed out. "See? Everyone in? Let's go!" Ruby said as she quickly roared the car to life and reversed onto the road.

     Rana sat in the passenger's seat and studied Ruby for a second. "You have to stop staring at me Rana Baji," Ruby said while her eyes stayed on the road. "What exactly are you, Ruby?" Rana asked as she propped her arm on the door. "What do you mean?" Ruby asked. "It's like you're some sort of energetic overlord," Rana smiled. "I like that," Ruby nodded. "Call me Overlord Rubina, minions." "It's wonderful having you around. You're like a breath of fresh air," Rana added. "That's not it. You've just been around these two for too long. You need girl time," Ruby said before turning onto another road. "Maybe you're right," Rana nodded and looked out at the road. "You know what I think is cool?" Ahmed chimed in. "What?" Dawood asked. "The fact that she can drive here by herself," Ahmed nodded. "Women CAN drive in a majority of Muslim countries," Ruby pointed out. "Yeah, but you don't hear that on the news and stuff," Ahmed pointed out. "That's because the news is ninety percent melodrama. Melodrama sells," Ruby said as she continued down the road. "True," Ahmed nodded and sighed.

     "Hey, we're not in Lahore anymore, are we?" Dawood asked as he looked out of the window. "No, we're still in Lahore. We're just heading to where the farmhouses are. It's away from the congestion of the city," Ruby said and stuck her hand out of the window as they neared a security checkpoint. "They didn't even glance at us," Rana said as she turned to look at the checkpoint. "That's because this is all our property," Ruby smiled. "What?" Rana asked in surprise and looked around. "The next nearly two hundred acres here is all owned by the Siyal family," Ruby said as she waved her finger vaguely at the road. "It's so green," Dawood said in awe as they looked at acre after acre of farmland. There were people everywhere on the fields plowing, pumping water, and generally working the land. "Do these people all work for you?" Rana asked Ruby. "No. They work for my grandfather," Ruby smiled proudly and waved at a couple of women who were taking a break near the road. The women smiled and waved back before excitedly whispering amongst themselves. "There are a lot of women here," Ahmed pointed out. "My father employs widows and women who are having a hard time in life. He doesn't want them to turn to begging so he gives them honest wages and living quarters as well as three meals a day," Ruby explained before turning onto a paved road that was hidden by large trees.

     "That's pretty admirable," Dawood stated as Ahmed and Rana nodded in unison. "It's his secret to success. He believes that God gives him so much because he doesn't stiff the little man," Ruby explained and slowed to a stop near a gigantic metal wall. "Where are we?" Dawood asked and watched as two masked guards walked over to the car. "Rubina Baji, aagay kaam ho raha hai. Theyhaan say jaa na," the guard said as he leaned in close to the car's window. Ruby nodded and said, "He's telling me to be careful since they're working on the roadway to my house." Dawood watched as the guards slid the wall open on what appeared to be rolling tracks on the road. "Oh, wow," Rana said as they finally got a glimpse of Ruby's house. "That's a freaking mansion," Ahmed said in awe as he leaned forward to look at the house in the distance. Ruby smiled and said, "It's home. It's hidden from the main road by all the trees. Behind the trees are concrete walls with security in towers. They patrol the perimeter all day and all night. If anyone stumbled on this area, they'd think it was just an orchard from outside, but of course that's never happened." "Why build so far away from civilization?" Dawood asked. "My grandfather likes the farm life. He oversees all agriculture work himself so he thought it made sense to live out here. Plus he hates the rush of the city. He's a pretty easygoing guy,' Ruby explained.

     They made their way past the roadwork the guard had warned them about and drove up on the driveway. Ruby parked her car behind an SUV and tossed her keys to a man who waited expectantly next to their car. He smiled at Ruby as she said something and headed towards the trunk of the car. "He's one of the mechanics here. I called him ahead to tell him I felt like my car wasn't getting the pickup it usually had," Ruby explained and jogged up the front steps. She pushed open the front doors and called out, "I'm home. Brought the packages with me!" Dawood followed Ruby inside and was surprised to see his mother sitting in the living room with a cup of tea in hand. "Mama?" Dawood called out in surprise. "Oh, you're finally here?" Amina smiled at Dawood. "Is Baba here too?" Dawood asked Ruby who shrugged and disappeared down a hallway. "Of course I am," Harun said as he walked over to them. "How'd you guys get here? What are you guys doing here?" Dawood asked in perplexity. "Ruby introduced us to her parents last week when she heard we needed to buy gold jewelry for Annie and Jannat," Amina explained. "Who better to buy from than the Indus Sonara Group?" A woman called out as she made her way over to Amina, also with a cup of tea in hand.

     "Dawood, this is Rubina's mother," Amina introduced. "Very nice to meet you, ma'am," Dawood waved. "These are my children, Dawood, Ahmed, and Rana," Amina said as she looked at Ruby's mother. "I've heard so much about you three," the woman smiled pleasantly. Dawood smiled unsurely at the woman and simply nodded. "Mom," Ruby called out before hopping over the sofa and sitting down, "don't scare the children. They spook very easily. Also, that's Rana Baji." "Ah, I see," Ruby's mother said and waved for the trio by the door to come over. Rana glanced at Ahmed and said, "Are we in trouble?" "I feel like you are," Ahmed whispered. "Rubina's been telling me so much about you three," Ruby's mother said and gave each of them a hug. "I can't say the same about you, unfortunately, ma'am," Rana said respectfully. "She has a bad habit of not telling people what to expect when visiting. My name is Minal and as you know I'm this weirdo's mother," Minal smiled. "I'm only a little bit weird, Mom," Ruby smiled.

     "I'm Hashem, Rubina's father," a man said as he walked over and shook hands with the three newcomers. "Nice to meet you, sir," Dawood said and was about to introduce himself when Minal smiled and said, "You never told me your sons were so handsome, Amina." "Well, I didn't want to brag," Amina smiled proudly. "Have a seat, sweetheart. Boys, you too," Minal said as she told Rana to sit next to her. "Yes, ma'am," Dawood and Ahmed said in unison before sitting on a spare couch. "It's wonderful to finally put faces to the names this one had been talking about," Minal said as she patted Ruby's back. Dawood took a moment to study both Hashem and Minal. They were both remarkably young for having a daughter in her early twenties. Minal had her hair cut short in a classic bob haircut and Hashem's dark hair was slicked back by a little gel. Hashem and Minal both wore glasses that added an extra air of elegance to their already elegant personalities. Minal was dressed in the latest casual designer wear from local Pakistani designers and Hashem wore a simple whiteshalwar and kameez.

     "How has Pakistan been treating you so far? I know we don't have you for much longer either. How do you feel about your upcoming wedding?" Hashem asked Dawood. "I'm okay," Dawood nodded. "Have you seen the jewelry your mother has purchased for your fiancée?" Minal asked Dawood. "He hasn't. He has very little interest in all the small traditions that we have. He even went so far as to say that he wanted a simplenikkah," Amina answered for him. "I'm sure Annie wouldn't appreciate that. It's every girl's dream in Pakistan to have an extravagant wedding. Nikkahs are simple signings of the wedding contracts," Minal explained. "I'm a simple guy," Dawood smiled and shrugged. "There's nothing wrong with that, but you'll learn soon enough that it's the women that run the household. Right, Harun?" Hashem smiled and received a hearty nod from Harun. "How has Pakistan been for you?" Minal asked Rana as she held the younger woman's hand. "It's been very interesting," Rana smiled. "Has Rubina bothered you too much? She feels like she has to save you from those two," Minal said as she gestured towards Dawood and Ahmed. "No offense guys, but Rana Baji deserves some pampering in her life. She's too rigid. You guys keep treating her as one of the guys," Ruby noted.

     "We never really treat her differently just because she's a girl," Ahmed shrugged. "That's exactly the problem," Ruby shook her head. "It's really okay. I never have time to spend on pampering or luxuries," Rana explained. "I keep telling her that the boys are adults now and that she doesn't need to worry about Ahmed, but she still does," Amina sighed. "Until he's married and settled down, I will always worry about him, Auntie. You know that," Rana smiled and looked at Ahmed. "Maybe he should just get married then," Ruby shrugged. "Not until Rana does," Ahmed shook his head. "See? He's so childish," Rana laughed. "Maybe he will change his mind once he finds the right woman," Amina smiled. "I guess all I can do is pray," Rana sighed. "This is why you should hang out with me," Ruby said simply. "Or I could try to force her to have girl days," Ahmed suggested. "We know that'll never work. You forget to make lunch if I don't leave you a message, let alone remember to take time off for yourself," Dawood laughed.

     "Beta, you're a soldier, correct?" Minal asked as she sipped on her tea. "Yes, ma'am," Dawood nodded. "I have to say, I've never met an American soldier before," Hashem said in intrigue. "Yeah I get that a lot here. We're pretty much like other soldiers, except we're ordered around in English," Dawood smiled. Hashem smiled and nodded before saying, "I have always respected military men and women. You all have such drive and are so disciplined." "Rana, sweetheart, you're also in the army?" Minal asked pleasantly. "Yes, ma'am," Rana nodded. "She's a few ranks above Dawood," Harun said proudly. "We are very proud," Amina nodded and smiled at Rana. "Haha, you're blushing," Ahmed grinned as he pointed at Rana. "Be quiet, Ahmed," Rana said as she tried her best to shush her little brother.

     "Ahmed beta," Minal began as she shifted her attention to Ahmed. "Yes, ma'am?" Ahmed asked in surprise. "What do you do for a living?" Minal continued. "Um, I work with computers. I make software and stuff. I recently sold one of my new programs to a technology company in Silicon Valley. Its kind of boring stuff," Ahmed shrugged. "No it's not. Computers are cool. We'd be devastated without computers nowadays," Ruby said. "Yeah, why don't you tell them how much you sold it for?" Rana suggested and smiled as Ahmed shook his head and blushed. "He's modest. Auntie, he sold it for more than a million dollars. They're still working out the details but that should be the final price range," Dawood said proudly. "That's wonderful," Hashem said and nodded his approval. "Uh, well I don't like showing off. It's weird," Ahmed said as he continued to blush. "I believe such an accomplishment is worth showing off," Amina said as she looked at Ahmed. Dawood grinned as he looked at his brother. It was rare for him to get so much praise, but Dawood always felt like Ahmed deserved the recognition.

     "We have guests?" A deep voice called out from behind Hashem and Harun. Dawood stood as he'd been taught to do when meeting someone who was older than him. Ahmed followed suit and fixed his clothes before shaking hands with the kind faced geriatric man. "Assalam alaikum, sir," Ahmed said as he shook hands with the man. "Walaikum assalam, beta," the man smiled at Ahmed and Dawood. "This is my grandfather. Haaris Siyal. The Big Boss. The Head Honcho," Ruby began. "Ruby," Minal said in warning, causing the young woman to sigh. She shortened her introduction and said, "Also known as Dada Abu." "Had to cut my introductions short, hmm?" Haaris smirked and shook hands with Rana. "Nice to meet you, sir,' Rana nodded. "The pleasure is all mine, especially when meeting a beautiful young lady as yourself," Haaris smiled. Rana tried her best to hide her blush, but failed miserably. "Are these your new friends that you have been talking my ear off about? What are the names you gave them? Ghora Bacha, Sidekick, and Baji?" "Yes! You got it,Dada Abu! This is Dawood otherwise known as Ghora Bacha. This is Ahmed otherwise known as Sidekick and this is Rana Baji, or just plain Baji," Ruby smiled proudly and introduced everyone. "I'd like to note that I do not approve of my nickname," Dawood sighed. "Nor do I," Ahmed added. "She calls me the Big Cheese. Do you think I approve of that? I am not made of cheese," Haaris smiled. "Her nicknames are just her way of becoming friends. As I'm sure you've noticed, she's a bit weird," Minal teased Ruby again. "Mom! Only a little weird," Ruby reminded.

     "My son, your wedding is only a few days away. How have you prepared? How do you feel about it? I know your mother has done most of the preparation herself. Have you prepared a dance?" Minal asked Dawood. "Dance? Th-there's a dance?" Dawood asked as he looked at his parents. "I know Adham has some dances choreographed for his mehndi performance. It's tradition in Pakistan to have performances and dancing on the mehndi day. You mother tells me that you are having a joint mehndi," Minal explained. "I don't- I'm sorry but I'm more confused now than before. Adham's doing what?" Dawood asked and looked around the room for some sort of explanation. "You do know what a mehndi is, right?" Ruby asked as she looked at a very confused looking Dawood. "Yeah. It's like a bachelor or bachelorette party, but with family. There's these little traditions that you do like feed the bride or groom sweets and applying henna to their hands," Dawood nodded. "Also, we apply oil to their hair. Just a light dab. Aren't traditions fun?" Ruby smiled. "I know it occurs before the wedding day but I don't remember any dancing. I mean I was at all of my other siblings' mehndis," Dawood said as he shook his head. "That's because you and Ahmed would run out and play football. I distinctly remember dancing at Musa's wedding. Uncle, you had some pretty nice moves," Rana said as she looked at Harun.

     "I haven't danced in ages. I'm pretty sure I'm rusty by now," Harun sighed. "In that case, don't you dare dance at Jannat and Dawood's mehndi day," Amina joked. "Wait, we're sharing a mehndi?" Dawood asked as he looked at his parents. "We thought it would help cut costs since it's already such an extravagant affair. Adham and Jannat will be on one stage and Annie will be on another stage with you," Amina explained. "We know that you are on a budget, son, and since you don't want us to foot even a portion of the bill, we tried helping you maintain your budget," Harun explained. "As far as dancing goes, in Lahore, the guy's and the girl's sides both prepare choreographed dances and basically have a good time," Ruby explained. Dawood sighed before running a hand through his hair. He always hated complicating things like this and here he was right smack in the center of a very complicated day. "Don't worry, Dawood Bhai," Ruby smiled and stood up, "I'll make sure you are perfectly prepared for your mehndi. Come on, I'll call people I know to help."

******

     Dawood paced and felt a sheen of sweat forming on his forehead. He took a deep breath and glanced at the LCD TV that was hanging on a stand in his tent. He was in a tent. Not only was he in a tent, he was in an air conditioned tent. "Dude, want me to ask Aisha Bhabi for a Xanax? You look a little freaked out," Ahmed said as he studied Dawood. "I'm getting married, legally married, in a few minutes. I think I have the right to be freaked out!" Dawood said with a squeak. Ahmed grinned and gave Dawood a hug, "That was the most manly squeak I've ever heard." Dawood pushed Ahmed away and continued pacing before adding, "I mean, what if I'm not a good husband? What if I fall while walking out there? What if she thinks I'm ugly?" "Alright little emotional teenager, let's tackle this one by one. First, you're a generally good guy. You'll make a fine husband. Second, if you fall while walking out there, I'll trip too so that you can recover and everyone will have their eyes on me. Third, and this has to be the stupidest one, no one has ever in your entire life called you ugly. Why would they start now, Mr. Making-Women-Swoon-Since-Birth?" Ahmed scoffed. "Yeah? Yeah. Alright, I'm good. I think," Dawood nodded before sitting in a chair. "I love the fact that they have four small tents attached to the giant tent for you guys. One for Adham, one for Jannat, one for Bhabi, and one for you. Then the giant tent is the main tent where everyone else is sitting," Ahmed smiled.

     "You're calling her bhabi?" Dawood asked in surprise. "Duh. She's my big brother's wife. There's a level of respect I have to maintain. There's no way I'm calling her by her name. Plus, I'm like eighty percent Pakistani. It's only natural that I use the Urdu word for sister-in-law to address her. Now, stop panicking bro," Ahmed smiled and patted Dawood's shoulders. At that moment, Rana entered the tent and smiled at Dawood. "Holy-," Dawood began as he looked at Rana. She was wearing a traditional Pakistani outfit that had been tailored to her size and height. Her hair was styled up in a bun with small crystals placed here and there to match her outfit. Her shirt was more of a dress that came down to her ankles. Delicate embroidery accented the collar, cuffs, and hemline of the dress, which matched the crystals in Rana's hair. Underneath the dress, Rana wore tights that had been dyed to match her pink and peach colored outfit. "You're wearing makeup," Ahmed said as he stared at his sister. "You look like a freaking supermodel!" Dawood exclaimed and smiled at Rana. "I have never felt more self-conscious in my life. This is all Ruby's doing," Rana sighed and adjusted her dress. "You look beautiful, Rana Baji," Dawood said honestly. "No seriously, he's not kidding. I should find her and give her a hug or something," Ahmed said as he continued to stare at Rana.

     "Enough about me. Look at you," Rana began as she looked at Dawood. "He's a nervous wreck," Ahmed grinned before flicking his finger at Dawood's ear. "Ow. Stop that. I have no idea what to expect guys. I mean I have a live feed of the main tent on the screen there, but I have no idea what's going on otherwise," Dawood sighed and tugged at his collar. "I'll fill you in. Adham is nearly ready. Jannat is panicking because her shoe color looks different in this light. I hear Annie's family is with her so no idea what's up over in her tent and here we are with you. Auntie said she'd come here after calming Jannat down. I heard that Adham and Jannat would go to their stage first and then you and Annie would go to yours. Wait. I think the first thing that is going to happen is your nikkahs in the tents so that you are legally married to Annie before going on stage. The next two days of your wedding are just celebration days. A lot of the ladies here kept saying that today was basically the big day for you two, since you'd be legally married. Tomorrow is the day when Annie comes home," Rana explained as she sat down next to Dawood. "Yeah, I know that. Do I look okay?" Dawood asked his sister. "You look very handsome. The outfit really suits you," Rana smiled and gave Dawood a hug.

     At that moment, Amina walked into the tent and smiled at Dawood. "Mama. You look tired," Dawood said quickly as he stood up and rushed over to his mother. Amina framed Dawood's face in her hands and kissed his forehead before whispering, "Thank you for making my last wish come true, Dawood. You look like a prince." Dawood smiled and gave Amina a hug, "Anything for you, Mama. Are you okay, though? I don't think you're feeling well." "I'll get better once I see you two on stage together," Amina smiled and kissed Dawood's cheek. "Auntie, why don't you sit down?" Ahmed suggested as he helped Amina sit in a chair. "Adham and Jannat just had their legal marriage ceremony, their nikkah. Your sister is officially Mrs. Jannat Park," Amina said with pride. "That's awesome," Dawood smiled. "I think you're next," Rana said as she noticed people crowding around the entrance to Dawood's tent. Dawood felt his heart race as he saw an imam come into the tent with Harun and Atif. His cousins and distant relatives crowded into the tent as if here to see a spectacle.

     "You look handsome, my son," Harun said as he gave Dawood a hug. "I'm nervous as hell, Baba," Dawood admitted. "That's all part of life. This is Imam Razzak. He will be officiating your marriage ceremony," Harun explained to Dawood. Dawood shook hands with the imam and sat back down on his chair as the imam sat down next to him. "Do you have any questions about the ceremony, son?" The imam asked in English. "No, sir," Dawood shook his head in answer. "Then let us begin," Imam Razzak smiled. Amina and Harun sat next to Dawood on his other side as the imam began reciting verses from the Qur'an. He then looked at Dawood and asked him if he was of sound mind and body and if he was willing to get married. Dawood nodded and repeated what the imam said to declare he was there willingly before looking at the papers that were set before him. "This is the marriage contract. Do you have any additions you would like to add to this?" Razzak asked. "No," Dawood shook his head and nervously twirled the pen that was in his hand. "I will now ask you three times if you accept your marriage to Qurat-ul-Ain Malik. All witnesses, today Dawood Khan, son of Harun Khan, is embarking on his journey that is married life with Qurat-ul-Ain Malik, daughter of Badar Malik. Dawood Khan, do you accept the terms of the nikkah to Qurat-ul-Ain Malik with an agreed mehr of five hundred grams of gold?" Imam Razzak asked. Dawood glanced at his parents before taking a gulp and replying, "I do." He knew that the mehr was a gift given to the wife by the husband upon getting married. It was a required part of an Islamic marriage and could be anything of value such as money, jewelry, or even land. Annie had said that she would like gold instead of money so she could keep it as a nest egg for them in case they needed it in their lives.

     Dawood was asked two more times if he accepted the terms of the nikkah and then the imam concluded the ceremony with a prayer. "Congratulations!" Harun declared and smiled as he stood up and gave Dawood a bear hug. Dawood smiled and returned the hug before receiving a hug from his mother. "My baby is all grown up," Amina sniffed before giving Dawood many kisses on his face. Dawood smiled and saw the joy on his mother's face, which was enough in his opinion to validate his decision. Random people continued to congratulate and hug Dawood, but as the crowd died down, he saw Ahmed and Rana standing in the corner, wiping their eyes. "Seriously? I don't get hugs from you guys?" Dawood laughed, unaware of his own tears falling from his face. Ahmed walked over and gave Dawood a hug. He patted his back a couple of times before whispering, "I hope you have the best married life in the world, man. You deserve it." Dawood smiled and returned the hug before whispering, "Thanks, man. You're the best." Rana smiled, tears still shining in her eyes as she walked over to Dawood. Ahmed moved to the side just in time for Rana to give Dawood a hug. "I'm so happy for you, Dave," Rana smiled and kissed Dawood's forehead in a motherly fashion.

     "Whoa! Whoa! Dawood Bhai! You just got married! You can't get kisses from other women!" Ruby cried out in mock horror as she entered the tent. Dawood blushed and shook his head before saying, "Ruby, you always know the perfect time to show up." "Ain't no party like a Ruby party," Ruby said as she waved her hands in the air. Rana laughed and gave Ruby a half hug before saying, "You always light up the room, Ruby." "I try. Anyhow, so a bunch of your cousins were saying they knew me outside and then when I told them I didn't know them, they got all awkward and confused. Why do people keep saying they know me when they actually don't?" Ruby asked and shrugged. Dawood was about to ask Ruby what was going on outside when he noticed activity on the screen. Dawood laughed as Adham and Jannat walked hand in hand down the main aisle to their stage. They were flanked on either side by at least ten people dressed as Stormtroopers as well as a group of people dancing to the beat of a Korean song. "He thinks he's got the perfect entrance. Adham Bhai always did love Star Wars though. It's cool that he pulled this off. I'm glad the media was banned from this event, otherwise you'd see hundreds of flashes everywhere," Ruby nodded. "I still see at least fifty camera flashes," Rana pointed out. "Oh those are kids whose parents bought them DSLR cameras and now think they're professional photographers. Hey, Sidekick. You look handsome. Is that weird to say?" Ruby asked Rana.

     Dawood smiled as he saw his older sister blushing and fawning over her husband. She may not have been extra close to Dawood, but he was actually extremely happy for her. There was loud music, laughing, and even some tears as the cameraman zoomed in and out of the groups entering the main tent with Adham and Jannat. There were many celebrities and politicians at this joint mehndi/wedding, but he smiled as he realized that both Adham and Jannat didn't care who was there, they only had eyes for each other. "Jannat looks beautiful," Rana sighed and rubbed her neck. "Yeah, but not as beautiful as you, Rana Baji. You legit have made guys swoon out there. People were asking about you left and right. You should bask in the compliments," Ruby nodded before smiling. "Rubina Baji!" A voice called out from their tent's entrance. "Yeah, I'm coming! Okay, guys. It's almost time for you to make your entrance. Just follow my lead," Ruby grinned before leaving the tent. "Wait, what did she mean by that?" Dawood asked in surprise. "Apparently, she has a surprise for you. She made us swear not to tell you," Rana explained. "Sorry, bro, but trust me, it's awesome," Ahmed grinned as he threw his arm across Dawood's shoulder.

     Before Dawood could ask any more questions, the lights went dark in the main tent. Dawood noticed that the power was still on since his screen was still on, but the lights had been turned off for the main tent. Dawood watched the screen as small lights started to flicker in the crowds as if people were holding glow sticks up. Dawood glanced at Ahmed and saw him cracking a glow stick to activate it. "Wait, what are you guys doing?" Dawood asked as he watched Rana slip out of the tent. "Sorry, bro. You'll understand soon!" Ahmed called out before leaving the tent. He was left alone in the tent as he looked at the screen for some sort of information as to what was happening. The glow sticks increased in colors and numbers as more people activated their own sticks.

     "Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting your fabulous host for this entrance, Rubina Siyal!" A man roared into a microphone close to the stage that was set for Dawood and Annie. The tent was filled with cheers upon hearing Ruby's name, but soon everyone quieted down since Ruby still hadn't entered. Dawood wondered what was going on, but then heard drums. These drums were traditional Punjabi drums, also known as dhols. Thedhol players, or dholis, came into the hall in two lines, playing a throng of catchy beats. They each wore tuxedos that had LED lights outlining the suits and what seemed to be glow in the dark paint in their hair. As the players began picking up the beat, Ruby entered the main tent in between the lined up dholis. Once she entered, a spotlight followed her as she grinned and waved at everyone. People began cheering again for Ruby as she held up her hands and swayed with the beat for a second. "Oh Ruby," Dawood grinned and shook his head. She was proving to be more and more awesome by the second.

     "Ladies and Gentlemen! Hi!" Ruby spoke into a microphone and waved. "I'm Rubina Siyal. If you didn't know that, please, just leave Pakistan," Ruby continued and was met by laughter from the crowds. "Today is a very auspicious day in my life since it's my big brother, Dawood Khan's mehndi and nikkah day. That's his sister right there. Hi, Jannat Baji! Congratulations, Adham Bhai!" Ruby continued as she waved at Jannat and Adham. "Now, most of you all know Adham Bhai because he's mega famous and all, but it's my turn to introduce you to the Khan family! Dhols!" Ruby yelled out, making the dhol players play a lively beat. "Alright, enough you guys. You're awesome. Give it up for the Rhythm Makers who flew in from England just for Dawood Bhai's wedding," Ruby continued and the spotlight went to the dhol players. They nervously smiled and bowed as the crowds clapped for them. "Back to me. Good. Now, without further ado, let's begin the festivities! Introducing, two awesome people, Dawood Bhai's brother and big sister, Ahmed and Rana Baji! Dhols!" Ruby yelled out as the dhol players began pounding on their dhols. The spotlight fell on Ahmed and Rana as they walked down the aisle to the stage. Dawood smiled as he realized just how confident Ahmed looked and just how beautiful Rana looked.

     "Next up we have the proud parents of Dawood Bhai. Amina Auntie and Harun Uncle! Woo! You guys made a beautiful baby! Dhols!" Ruby joked and clapped for Amina and Harun along with the crowds. Dawood smiled at his mother's entrance, who seemed to be on cloud nine. Her smile made Dawood even happier and he laughed as he watched her do a little dance. Before he could watch what was to happen next, he was pulled out of the tent by two men who simply said, "Dawood Bhai, Rubina Baji is introducing you and Annie Bhabi next. Please hurry up." Dawood hurried to the entrance of the main tent and smiled as Annie was walked over by her parents. "She is now in your care, my son," Zarqa smiled and placed Annie's hand in Dawood's. "I'll take great care of her," Dawood whispered and took a moment to admire his wife. She wore a dress similar to Rana's, but emerald green in color. The embroidery on her dress was more elaborate than Rana's and she had a matching shawl, which was perched on her up-do hairstyle. "You look nice," Annie smiled at Dawood. "Yeah, well you look absolutely stunning," Dawood smiled and squeezed Annie's hand.

     Dawood turned to look at the entrance of the tent as he heard Ruby's voice roar, "Without further ado, Dawood and Annie Khan! Major dhols" He held Annie's hand before parting the flap and entering the main tent. He was momentarily blinded by the bright spotlight that landed on them, but smiled once he heard the cheers from the audience and the fast rhythmic beat from the drums. They walked slowly towards the stage, waving at those that whistled and gave them catcalls. "Looking super handsome Bhai," Ruby said as she wiggled her eyebrows and hopped onto the stage. Dawood waited for Annie to take her seat and proceeded to take the seat next to her. Ruby grinned and gave Dawood a thumbs-up before looking back at the aisle where the rest of Dawood's siblings stood in wait. "Finally, we have the rest of Dawood's siblings who I don't really know, but yeah! Dhols!" Ruby finished and ran over to Dawood. "Did you seriously just introduce them without their names?" Dawood asked as Ruby gave Annie a hug. "Yes. I don't like them. Stuck up horrible people. If there's one thing I hate its people that are so stuck up that they feel like people owe them stuff," Ruby shrugged.

     "What is up, my brother?" Ahmed asked and gave Dawood another hug. "Haha, you looked nice walking in, man," Dawood laughed before sitting back down. "I'm going to go mingle with everyone since they're going to start the traditional stuff now," Ahmed said and waved before hopping off the stage. "You look beautiful, Annie," Rana smiled before patting Dawood's head. "Thank you," Annie smiled. "My brother here is a bit simple, but I'm sure you'll steer him in the right direction," Rana smiled. Annie smiled and nodded before hearing another woman call her name. "Yeah, I'm going to go find Ahmed. You guys are about to be swamped by random well wishers," Rana smiled and gave Dawood a fist bump. "Thanks, Baji," Dawood smiled and watched her descend the stairs from the stage before heading into the crowd. Ruby followed suit and soon Dawood was left with many Pakistani men and women who came up to congratulate him and wish him well.

     Amina made her way up to the stage and nearly stumbled on the steps, but Dawood leapt up and rushed to her side to help her up. "You will always be my hero, won't you, Dawood?" Amina smiled and gave him a hug. "Always, Mama," Dawood replied as he made Amina sit down next to his seat. "You two look absolutely magnificent. A match made for each other," Amina whispered and wiped the sweat off her forehead. "Are you feeling okay, Mama?" Dawood asked in concern. "I am at my best today, my son. You've made all my dreams come true and I couldn't be happier," Amina smiled and rested her head on Dawood's shoulder. "Mama!" Mariam called out from Jannat's stage. "I think they need you over there, Mama," Dawood smiled. "I will be back. May Allah always keep you smiling, my son," Amina whispered before kissing Dawood's forehead. Dawood watched as Amina quickly made her way to the other stage. He had never seen her so happy before and felt as if agreeing to this marriage was the best decision he had ever made.

     Before Dawood could take a breath of air, Rana hopped back on the stage and sat down quickly next to Dawood. "What's up? Why do you look so winded?" Dawood whispered as he leaned in close to Rana. Rana took a deep breath and said, "Ruby likes Ahmed." "What?" Dawood asked in surprise. "That's not all! Ahmed likes her too!" Rana cried out and shook Dawood by his collar gently. "Calm down, Baji," Dawood laughed and tugged Rana's hands away from his collar. "This is big news! I was standing over there by the refreshments table and these three girls were talking about Ahmed. They said he was so handsome and had green eyes so if they married him, at least their kids would have a chance of having green eyes. Then they said that even if that wasn't the case, at least they could get green cards to America if they married him. That's when Ruby walked over to them and basically pointed at Ahmed before saying that he was hers. Just like that!" Rana whispered excitedly. "Wait, Ruby said that Ahmed was hers?" Dawood asked with a smile. "Yes! Like she always says that Lahore is hers. In that exact tone! Then when Ruby left, the girls started bitching about Ruby. Ahmed had walked over to me and I guess he understood what they were saying because he gave them a dirty look and said that women with such ugly characters had no right to insult someone as beautiful as Ruby. The girls were like, so what you like her and he nodded before saying that as a matter of fact, he does!" Rana explained quickly.

     "That's so freaking awesome. Well, why don't you go and have a talk with her parents? Bring up the subject of Ruby's marriage? Who knows? We might be hearing more wedding bells in the future," Dawood grinned and watched as Rana nodded and dashed off the stage. "She seemed excited," Annie smiled as she looked at Dawood. "She was. Ahmed and her are more close to me than my actual siblings," Dawood smiled. "Yeah, I figured when Ruby introduced your actual siblings as people she didn't know," Annie smiled. "What do you think of my family?" Dawood asked kindly. "I think they are nice. I don't know your brothers that well, but I'm sure we will get along nicely," Annie nodded. "Good, because all I have is my family. I've told you that I don't have much in life, but family, family matters. Only something completely drastic would cause me to leave my family," Dawood explained. "Well, I hope nothing that drastic ever happens. I look forward to being a part of your family," Annie said as she held Dawood's hand. "So do I," Dawood smiled and looked out at the crowd.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22K 1.3K 45
She was his deepest secret, he was her love, it was the time to unveil it. ----- Alizey, a newly Muslim girl living a life undercover from her patern...
31.3K 1.7K 51
[Major Warning ⚠️ :- I wrote this book when i was a teen and as English isn't my first language, i wasn't that familiar with terms or words. I'll sta...
11K 164 15
Meet Riley brooks. Age 18. She was bullied her hole school life so she is shy round people but that's not the only reason shes shy, Riley's beaten by...
381K 23.8K 29
Salam u alaikum readers! I wanted to inform you guys that I've started making edits to this story. Some chapters are the same while some are complet...