The Games We Play

By literaryobsession

"Only one will come out, Clove, make sure that it's you." Clove was known as the girl who never misses in the... More

The Child and the Victor
The Brawl
The Tributes
The Alliance
The Choice
The Plan
The Change
The Twist
The Truth
The Reaping
Tribute Parade
Training
Preparation
Interview
The Hunger Games
Career Pack
Two
The Start
Hope
Feast
Free

The Capitol

217 6 0
By literaryobsession

It was bigger than what I imagined it would be and even grander than what I had seen in the television. I pulled my eyes away from the window and continued nibbling on the strawberries that Celestine gave me. Cato was silent and did not turn to look at the Capitol as our train entered the station, he was above the Capitol and therefore did not deserve any of his attention. He just sat across me with his lips pursed into a thin line and his face scrunched up in concentration. I was right. This was the Hunger Games Cato eating before me and no one else and I had to be like him, strong and every inch of the future Victor.

"When we get out of this train, the Capitol people will be waiting for you outside. District 1 has already arrived and in fifteen minutes, so will District 3. You will only have a few minutes to establish your first impression." Brutus told us as he ripped off a piece of bread with his teeth, "So smile and look as though you're glad to be here."

"I am. I'm glad to be a tribute." Cato leaned on his seat and smirked.

"That's more like it." Enobaria nodded at Cato's words and turned to me, "And you?"

I shrugged, "Oh, I'm sure they'd love me." I gave them a sweet smile, which surely broke my face but if Cato can do it, so can I. When I laid my eyes on my mentor, she nodded and finished her coffee. I guess this is it. Besides being all the things they said I should be, I have to become this Capitol-loving tribute who will, there was no other option for this, impress and be loved by the audience. Besides being a Game which would require me to kill twenty three kids, I have to become like Caesar Flickerman, the only person in the Capitol with showmanship. This was all a bit show. A big violent show. "I'm perfect." I added.

"You're not going to wear your hair like that, are you?" Enobaria raised an eyebrow at me as I rose to prepare myself to face the Capitol. Then as I looked at her, I remembered what she had told me before. I should wear my hair down, play the Johanna card. I have to be pretty, even though I really am not, for Cato so not only am I going to play a part for the others, I'll play a part for Cato – the only person who knows me better than anyone else. I'll have a chance to break down his walls... but I said no to this plan right?

Have you already forgotten, Clove? This guy played a game in your little head. Why not play a game back?

As a reply, to my head and to Enobaria, I pulled my hair tie and let my dark hair flow down my back. My hair was a bit long, since Magdalena liked it that, and I like pulling it up to a ponytail. Enobaria stood up and ran her fingers to my hair and let it fame my face. She was behind me and held unto my shoulders, Brutus grinned and nodded. Cato, however, looked arrogant and uncaring.

"We can actually have a pretty and very deadly tribute this year! The others looked like men." Brutus laughed aloud and Enobaria reached forward, took my fork and threw it straight at Brutus who ducked just in time. "Those Capitol men will be itching to sponsor you, Clove. You should go out like that and then later in the Training Center and the Games, surprise them with that lethal side of yours."

Enobaria leaned forward and whispered in my ear, "Capitol men aren't the only ones I hope would help you." The two boys across us did not suspect anything when she did that, they just continued talking anything about the Capitol and how excited Brutus was to be there. He couldn't wait for the real Games to start since it was where the real fun begins. Enobaria pulled away from me and went back to her seat, she gave me a smile and went back to eating.

I made my way towards my temporary room in the Tribute Train, it wasn't much since mine was much larger. The only thing about the Train that I really liked are the Capitol people awaiting any order from me, I really liked that kind of power over these people. It was refreshing to have them as servants because they never talked back - which in my case seemed a bit weird, why would they not want to talk back and regain the power they usually have? - but since they're servants, I guess it's just about right.

My outfit for that day wasn't anything like the fashion here in the Capitol, it was actually wearable. It was in pale green and was exactly my size. I had discarded the dress I had on yesterday since it was a reminder of my life before, I'd throw anything that might associate me to Magdalena starting this day. I was my own person now. I perched on the vanity mirror, like the one at home that I never really used, and stared at my reflection. I never really cared for my appearance but what Brutus said mattered too since everything now was all about life and death. I will get all the chances I can to lengthen my life.

"What are you doing, Clover?"

Cato.

"I'm thinking." I grabbed the hair brush and untangled my hair, it was a bit unruly. I let my eyes wander over to him, "What are you doing in here? Aren't you supposed to be outside with Brutus? Talking about how perfect the Capitol is?" I looked back at myself and continued, with a bit violence, brushing my hair.

Cato let out a soft chuckle, "The Capitol isn't perfect. I hate it here. I'd rather run after my brothers than to be here." He leaned on the wall and watched me, "But we don't have a choice. We're here, we chose this. I'm doing all that I can to help myself to get back home." He smirked, "Like what you're doing right now."

"What?" I straightened up. Does he know?

"Enobaria wants you to be the pretty tribute. The pretty, small, and delicate-looking tribute from Two." He drawled on, "With that unmatched knife-throwing skills that the Capitol men would really want to come out alive. Kind of like that Glimmer girl from One. The difference is she's actually not trying, you're acting."

"I'm not going to be delicate-looking. I'm not delicate and I'm not trying to be. That girl from One probably don't know the handle of a sword from the blade so don't compare us because we're not alike." I stood up and growled at him, "I'm just trying to be likeable."

Cato laughed, "See, you are trying!"

"There's nothing wrong with that! I still want to win!"

From amusement, Cato's face turned serious, "I never said there was anything wrong. I know you, Clove, and the thing is people don't. I know you're trying and the others won't have a clue but you don't have to try. You don't have to try to be 'pretty' because trying was never your thing. You'd never try to be allies with me even if your life depends on it. You just chose to be my ally. You trying to be like another person...Wait... Another person who is normal is really amusing to watch because you're a natural psycho." He grinned widely, to my irritation. "And being a psycho works too."

"Oh you mean like your I-don't-care-if-I-kill-you-I'd-win act?" I scowled. He was teasing me and insulting me but I can't bring myself to really be angry at him.

"Yeah but I've been doing this ever since so it may come off as a bit natural." He shrugged and lifted his big figure from the wall and towered over me, "It would only look weird to you because you know me better than anyone else here in this place." That's true. The Training Center Cato and Hunger Games Cato are kind of like the same. Before we became allies, I saw him as really uncaring and arrogant. He had this tendency to act almost ballistic when someone tries his temper and it wasn't a pretty sight. The real Cato wasn't like that at all. "So, why don't you give us all a favor? Don't try to smile like what you did earlier because it was scary." He started laughing which made my lips stretch into a grin, I knew it was scary!

"Damn you." I murmured as I watched him laugh.

When he finally stopped laughing, "Be yourself so at least one of us gets to keep themselves intact. The real Clove is lunatic enough, don't seem like you've really lost your mind. It was like seeing Titus." He was talking about that tribute who became crazy and ate the dead tributes in his Games. Cato was about to leave when he turned to me, "And your hair..."

I frowned, "What about it?"

Cato opened his mouth and closed it. He then shook his head and smiled, "Nothing. See you later."

What now? Why is it that when I decide to play games with Cato, he becomes extra nice to me that I'd change my mind even before I can begin? Damn him. He's too unpredictable. He's making me crazy with all these changes in his personality. What do I do now? Should I do what Enobaria orders me to do? Or should I be the Clove that Cato knows...the Clove only he knows?

"Cloveee~ We're going! The cheering crowd awaits!" Andrew Smotherbee called outside of my door.

I have to decide and it has to be quick because in a few minutes, I'd face the Capitol with the persona that would sell me. So I went out there and faced the hysterical audience with a big smirk on my face. I had tied my hair up to the crown of my head and stood beside Cato, who was smirking. I crossed my arms across my chest and stared at all of them.

No one can order Clove Holt. Not Enobaria. Not Cato. Just me. I refuse to listen to orders, I will never be anyone else. I brought myself here and only I can bring myself out. I chose this. I am powerful. I am deadly.

I am ready.

I am the next Victor of the Seventy-Fourth Hunger Games.

I am Clove, the tribute from District Two.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.9K 944 28
Everyone knows the story of Katniss, but what about Clove? Told in Clove's POV is her story about her life before the games and the hardships she...
11.3K 355 44
Winner of The Bibliophile Awards 2017 (Adventure) - I wrap my arms around her waist and touch my cheek to hers, wishing I never had to leave her. Clo...
19.3K 354 16
Cato is a junior student who is popular, handsome, and smart. When he was in his History class, he met his old elementary classmate Clove by chance...
4.9K 111 15
This is all about if Clove Kentwell from the Hunger Games won! She doesn't die, and best part- it's actually used from real information about the boo...