Icarus

By MadelineSane

❝A boy and a girl, feathers and flames. A tragic love story, and a life that came to an end❞ ➳ The body dies... More

PART I
Prologue
Fly
Burn
Pure
Cards
Nice
Insane
Guardian
Horizon
Fall
Clock
Sound
Ballet
Words
Action
Distance
Focus
Angels
Outshine
Blue
Hands
War
Half
Nothing
Something
Afraid
Aesterdis
Unsaid
Blood
Killed
Threads
Redemption
Tickets
Colors
Immortal
Timeless
Fire
PART II
Fall
Freeze
UPDATE

Human

1.5K 99 18
By MadelineSane

Human

The band, Within Inferno, was playing the last notes of their third song. All four members were having a good time performing even though they seemed detached, as if they were playing for an invisible audience.

The only spectators were the stage mangers, security guards, and the festival staff who obviously weren't listening to the band at all. Cassie was the only one just sitting around so she decided to distribute water bottles to the boys when they finished their set so she didn't feel so useless.

The song climaxed with a loud and chaotic riff. Cassie grabbed a cold bottle of water and placed it on her forehead. Lip laughed seeing Cassie using the Festival's flyer as a hand fan. He touched Tate's shoulder and pointed at Cassie. Tate walked up to her laughing.

"So...it's too hot out here for you...as in hot like me?" he teased.

"Hotter," she said sarcastically.

"Oh do tell...I'm melting."

She nodded, acknowledging the blistering sun but at least she was at the side of the stage with a shadow. Cassie got distracted by Tate's smile but remembered her self-imposed task to hand out water.

"Water?" she blurted out, like a carnival vendor trying to drum up business for a midway attraction. Cassie handed a bottle to Tate, watched him first take a sip then pour it all over his head in a futile attempt to cool off in the humid, oppressive conditions.

"Why don't you go to the hotel to get some rest? We have at least another hour of sound check and preparations."

Cassie shrugged. "I want to hear all of your songs before the big performance, anyway are you trying to get rid of a fan?" she teased, handing Tate another three bottles. He placed them under his arms, laughing.

He kissed her on the forehead and went back to the stage.

Cassie didn't notice she had a dreamy smile drawn on her face. It was the second time that day he did that. Why was he being so affectionate... if they were only friends?

The room was filled with energy, laughter and loud music. In contrast, Cassie was quiet. Tate knew something was wrong.

"Are you alright?" Tate asked and then held her hand. Cassie took a few seconds to respond, brushing Tate's skin with her thumb.

"I never told you what happened at the meeting today."

"So tell me, then." Cassie looked at Tate and then at his band mates. Tate sensed what she was trying to say. "Got it." He winked and grabbed Cassie's hand tightly, got up, and signaled her to do the same.

"Gentlemen, if you will excuse us please..."

Tate guided her to the balcony. There were no clouds, no wind, and the stars were more visible and brighter than back home. On the horizon the lights of the city looked like artificial stars, trying to outshine the sky's beauty. The view was spectacular. New Zoldova came to life at night. Even the hills that ripped the edge of the sky like a torn piece of paper with its uneven edges seemed to be dark, intimidating silhouettes.

"So what was the verdict?" he asked flippantly, trying to lighten up the mood. She took a deep breath and leaned her arms on the white marble railing.

"I was assigned to another human and my new assignment begins the day after the festival." Cassie didn't look directly at him as Tate paused to take in the implications.

"Does that mean you'll be going away?"

"That means...I don't think they would assign me to someone close to you. If anything, they're going to send me far away. I still don't know though. Piero's coming with more information."

"Why didn't they tell you when you were there?"

"I was interrupted by my replacement."

Tate sighed, "Can't believe they just won't leave me alone."

"Then again, you are as stubborn as a mule."

"Ah...look who is talking," Tate laughed, "Little Miss Kindness."

Cassie smiled at looked at him. Tate moved her hair to one side.

He never understood why his curse would be having to die if he ever fell in love. Looking at Cassie, Tate sensed he'd never really been in love with anyone else.

He stared at her for a few minutes while sifting through his memories of past relationships. Tate didn't want her to die, he didn't want to die. He wanted to live with her forever, to get to know her even more, to grow old together...to love her.

"Don't worry...if they send you away...I can come to you. At least this last month we have together."

"What about Mac? What about the Aesterdis? What about your band?"

"Does it even matter anymore? I mean...let's focus on the time we have left together."

"I'd still like to find out how this all plays out with you before dying you know."

Tate didn't know what to say.

She wasn't sad, not at all, she was happy she got the chance to meet him. Not exactly a chance as they were meant for each other, but she was glad...if only they'd been different, born into different circumstances, they could be together and just live out a normal life.

Tate held her in his arms, his embrace sensitive and delicate, caressing her back and slowly stroking her soft hair. Cassie placed her head on his shoulder letting her hot breath warm his neck. Abruptly, he pushed her away.

"Nice to meet you miss...so, what's your name?" he said sarcastically, his voice somewhat shaken with the realization that a final goodbye could be coming soon. Tate stood there, still, somber, a look of resignation on his face, a hand extended to carry out the ruse.

"Cassie..." she whispered.

"Tate," he replied as they shook hands, "may I have this dance?"

Cassie, a touch embarrassed, covered her mouth with her other hand, "Of course."

He pulled her close and placed his hand in her waist. They started swaying side to side.

"But there's no music..." she whispered in his ear and giggled.

"I enjoy the melody of silence," Tate responded poetically.

She smiled but was confused by the meaning of his remark. "You said that you couldn't dance"

"I didn't say a thing, we just met. We can be whomever we want to be at this moment"

"Who are you, then?" Cassie asked.

"Tate, I'm a human."

"Cassie, also human," she repeated, more than willing to play out this fantasy.

"I wish that could be real," he mused.

"Stop talking and dance with me," Cassie insisted, wanting to enjoy each present moment they still could share together.

"I don't take orders from strangers," Tate teased, further breaking the somber tension that had been building.

He laughed and gave her a spin while lifting her in the air. When their dance ended they stared at each other, her hands on Tate's chest, their lips but millimeters apart.

Looking at their hands Cassie was reminded of the first time they touched at the bar that night a few weeks ago and the glow, the aura that formed around them. It was later Cassie realized they were both emanating light. Then, their hands began glowing again.

"This..."

"We are fire."

"Tate, what is this?" Cassie asked, mesmerized by the halo surrounding their hands.

"Magic," Tate added, "it's... supposed to mark the beginning of the end."

"It's quite beautiful."

Yes, you are beautiful, he thought while her wide eyes stared at the light.

"So we have a month." Cassie's heart was racing so fast she could hear the beats in her ears and feel them pounding in her neck arteries. "Your birthday is on August 8th. I...How is it going to be? Is it going to hurt?" She was serious now, but more curious than angry or afraid.

"Don't worry," he answered, stroking her cheek with the back of his hand. She didn't reply. "I'm dying," he began dramtically. "Fire is burning in me like alcohol on a wound. I'm dying...and your name is so pretty...and I love how it sounds."

"Tate, not now," she complained. He put a finger on her lips.

"And I'm dying, we are both fading...but oh god, you are so beautiful. With you standing next to me, all of my desires fade away...flying? That sucked, let me fix that" He looked at the sky searching for better words before continuing. "You standing next to me...you—make me look at the light in flames instead of the ashes. Oh man, the last part was cheesy. You would've thought that after so many years writing poetry I'd be better at it..." he mused lightheartedly.

Cassie laughed. "The light in flames instead of the ashes... I liked that part. Like, looking at the pretty and positive things instead of the bad, ugly ones...why don't we do that more?"

"Because we are two pessimist little punks that's why," Tate admitted.

"Look at us...we are such downers...honestly," Cassie lamented.

"Let's try to be up and happy during this month that we have, alright?" Tate put his arm around her. "Even if we end up in different parts of the world, let's vow to meet...at least once."

"I'll think about it," she said, Tate squinted at her and she crossed her arms, "jokes, I'll try...I mean I will...no, we will."

"I don't know...It will be weird to see you happy," Tate teased.

"Fuck off."

"Ladies and gentlemen, meet Little Miss Kindness," Tate added just to rub her typical pessimism in a little.

Cassie nudged him jokingly but he grabbed her arm and hugged her tightly.

She hugged him back...tightly. 

------------

aaaaaaaaah only one chapter left before the end of part one! can't believe it took me 2 years to finish this lmao. Vote and comment if you like these two together <3 also, don't forget to see the video above for extra feels :p

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 2.7K 58
Alyssa dies in a brutal attack and is miraculously given a second chance. Can Alyssa discover the right choices in a sea of wrong? Or will her circum...
267 222 20
Step into the unknown, where shadows whisper secrets, and destinies are written in the cosmic fabric. A world where reality is a tapestry of enigma a...
12.4K 1.9K 46
Niccola is a demi-queen undercover in enemy territory. Her little sister went missing seven moons ago, but one lead remains: a picture of a woman's f...