The King's Possession -- Book...

Af HowlingJane

(COMPLETED) The second novel of the Underworld Series! Can be read separately. For a mature audience! ______ ... Mere

Opening
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Epilogue
The Story Continues

Chapter Ten

10.2K 452 117
Af HowlingJane

            "You do realize that if you are taking me to some kind of trap, that I will not hesitate to kill you?" I asked with a raised brow, looking at Tenoos as he walked before me. Broad shoulders cast a shadow over me as we walked through the gardens, met with the sound of children laughing in the distance. It was a peaceful day, filled with promise of the unknown. But, there was also the lingering feeling of dread. What if this was some kind of test? And I had already failed? Surely there was not much else that could be done to humiliate me anymore? I had no pride left, no privacy, no dignity. I was a shell of a woman that had once been. Even the way that I walked seemed to be slightly different as of late. That worried me. Because, if I did not act or walk like the woman and warrior that I had once been, how would my people know it was me when I was able to return home?

            Tenoos chuckled, looking at me with a smirk, his silver scar shining in the colorful light.

            "I would expect nothing less from you, Vixas." I found my lips curling up slightly into a soft smile. He was not bad company, and there was a sense of ease that radiated off of him. It was comforting, reminding me of a cool breeze on a hot day: refreshing and calming. I was grateful for that.

            "Will you tell me where we are going then?" I asked as we walked to the gate of the city, the mouth of the arch open and waiting. Stopping for a moment, he went to whisper words to an awaiting guard. They nodded and spoke few words, but they seemed to hold great meaning. I looked up then, seeing the bubble over the city and palace ripple slightly as a great beast swam above us. I could see the purple and blue scales as the tail moved from side to side, fins helping it glide in the water. I smiled, watching as the cubs of the mother followed close by, chirping and singing as they swam in circles around the mothers tail. I could make out whisker like appendages on their lips, large green eyes on the sides of the head. They were beautiful, graceful, seeming to just be floating on nothing. It was almost hypnotizing.

         "You will need to wear this," Tenoos said as he handed me a dark cloak. I looked at it as he reached out his arm towards me. Tilting my head to the side, I looked at the fabric closely. It seemed tough, thick, and old. It held a distinct smell that I couldn't quite describe, but it was not putrid. It would be find to wear. With the color a soft brown, reminding me of wet dirt, I took it and placed it over my shoulders, allowing it to hang off of my body. Tenoos did not wear one, but did grab a key, placing it on his hip. Making quick work to tie the cloak around my neck, making sure the string was tightly knotted, I placed the oversized hood over my head. I would not look like myself to anyone that did not know me.

         "Now will you tell me where you are taking me?" I asked with a smirk, following behind Tenoos as he walked under the gate, leading us from the palace to the city. This would be the first time that I would be venturing beyond those coral walls. And I found myself feeling... almost giddy from the knowledge that Kratos would surely loose his head if he knew of this. And that made it all the more enjoyable.

        Stopping for a moment, Tenoos turned to me and pulled the hood over my eyes slightly, causing me to bend my head down to be able to see. I suppose this would be a good thing, not allowing anyone to see. This was all so new to me, I had never hidden myself before. It was odd... but fascinating at the same time. My bare feet padded against the stoned pathway as we walked down the slight slop that lead to the palace. I could hear the sounds of children laughing more clearly now. It caused me to slightly walk faster, an urge to see life other than that in the palace growing stronger. Tenoos smirked down at me, but never spoke a word.

         We walked in silence, my eyes scanning around as the hood shadowed my face from sight. I looked around, seeing the world differently up close. The flowers were in full bloom, a steady stream babbling beside the shops as people rushed in and out, some smiling, some too busy to make any facial expressions. Tilting my head to the side, I watched as we walked past a bakery, the smell of fresh bread and sweets wafting into the air. Taking a deep breath, smelling the sugar and bread, I felt warm. The sweetness reminded me of honey from the honey trees that would litter the land, mixed with the natural sweetness of Lilies of the Valley: a sweet flower that bloomed after the new cycle began.

         "Come, we will be there soon." he said, taking my elbow into his hand, never making skin to skin contact though. I followed then, watching as we walked down the main street, people passing us, running by, walking, some just stopping to look into the shops. I was surrounded with so much life, so much joy, yet even as happy as I was... it didn't feel right. These were not my people, this was not my home. But, I suppose that it would be alright until I could return to Mother Tree.

        Coming into the heart of the city, I could see several people surrounding a pond that was bubbling with crystal water. Some sat down beside it, others walked around, looking at the gardens. But, what truly caught my attention, was the young man who was bending down on one knee before a young woman. Her mouth opened before her hand covered it, tears brimming her eyes. I stopped walking then, watching as the man took her free hand into his, bringing his lips to her knuckles in a greeting. Why would he greet her when they clearly had been talking only moments ago? What a strange thing to do. But, it wasn't as strange as it would become. Tenoos turned and looked at me over his shoulder, only to walk back and follow my gaze. A warm smile covered his lips as he watched in awe.

         The man that was kneeling then did something that I had never seen before. Lifting the crystal necklace from around his neck, he looking at the woman as he offered it to her, his nervous aura radiating off of him. Those surrounding stopped and smiled, watching in awe just as Tenoos was. What was this that was happening? Taking a few steps forward, I lifted the hood off of my head, letting it fall back, allowing me to see clearly. Tilting my head, I watched as the crying woman then dropped to her knees before him, bowing her head, allowing the man to place the crystal necklace around her neck. Cheers from those surrounding them erupted, and the woman wrapped her arms around him as she cried. My heart seemed to constrict slightly as I watched him kiss the tears away, caressing her cheeks as he spoke sweet words to her.

        Tenoos placed his hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump. I hadn't realized how lost in thought and in the moment that I had become until that moment. A small gasp left me, but I composed myself slightly as I looked up at him. Giving my shoulder a small squeeze, he motioned for us to continue walking with a slightly motion with his head. Taking a breath, I nodded slowly, turning to walk with him. But, even though I was walking away, I still turned my gaze to see the two still in a warm embrace. And I found myself feelings something that I had never felt before... jealousy. But, over what? That I truly did not know.

______

         We walked to the edge of the city, still silent, but I could still hear the sounds of the gliding beasts in the sea. I did not look up, but I did look down towards my feet, the skirt of my dress floating around them with each step.

         "I do not understand the offering off his gift." I whispered, my eyebrows scrunching together as I tried to understand what had happened.

         Tenoos chuckled, shaking his head before turning into a side alley, just before we reached the large guardians that held the bubble around the city. I followed behind, only to stop once I saw him remove a stone from a wall, pushing it aside, only to cause the wall to move. The sound of stones grinding on another filled the air, only to stop once an opening large enough for a carriage was open. Tilting my head to the side, I watched as Tenoos disappeared from sight, only to motion for me to follow.

          I did just that, but instead of being met with silence, I was met with the feeling of wind blowing against my face. My eyes went wide as the smell of salt left my senses completely. He had not been here before. I was free from his presence and smell, even if it was only a little while.

          The wind was soft, almost nonexistent, but I could feel it and see it as Tenoos struck the rock against another, causing a spark to occur and build a roaring flame on a torch to fill the darkness. Placing the stone back into the wall, Tenoos handed me the torch, only to grab another from the wall, placing the clothed tip to the flames. I heard the wall start to close behind us, enveloping us in almost complete darkness, the only light coming from the dim flames as the blew in the wind. Looking around me, I saw that the walls and floor were made of stone, like that of the streets of the city. But, there was a humid like feel to the place, filling it with moisture.

          Of all of the places that he was taking me, I did not understand how it could be connected to where the wind could meet us. But, perhaps there was a layer of tunnels under the sea floor, somehow connecting up to the surface. And if that was true... then perhaps this would be my way out of the city, and away from Kratos. I could return home... I could finally see Maketis after all of these years.

           "He was making a proposal." he simply state, motioning me to follow behind him as he walked down a slope. I followed behind. A proposal...? I had never heard of such a word being used... intimately. If I was ever offered a proposal, it was for the other persons gain, not ours collectively. But, from the way that he had spoken the few words, I could see it had a much greater meaning. Picking up my pace slightly, I walked along beside him, watching carefully as he made sure to look around us. I could not sense anyone, so I was not fearful of being caught. Wherever he was taking me.

        We walked in silence for a few moments, the flickering of the flames being the only sound besides our feet padding on the stoned floor. The temperature was much cooler in the tunnel, and I noticed that we had finally leveled out onto even ground. This was interesting, considering there should be no way for these to exist. But, I was starting to realize that perhaps things that should not be able to exist... must. Tenoos looked ahead, his face blank of all expressions. I could see the way the flames light caused his silver scar to shine bright like a star in the evening sky. I wondered how he had gotten it. Perhaps he had earned it in battle?

        "Why would he make a proposal? Was it for his benefit? Or hers?" I whispered a few minutes later. It seemed the deeper into the tunnel that we were getting, the darker that it became. I noticed that the walls were layered with thick and sturdy stone, but yet there were still places that a hole was made, causing a slight trickle of water to fall to the floor. We passed another small leak in the wall, the water droplets falling in a timed pattern, soothing me.

         "For the both of them." he spoke, looking at me from the corner of his eyes. I tilted my head to the side as he lead me to a cross section of the tunnel. We could go one of three directions: left, right, or forward. "We move forward." Tenoos said before continuing on, his long legs causing him to create a gap between us. I did not mind though. The warm light from the flames filled the darkness, allowing me to see him. My eyes had adjusted long ago, allowing me to see like I would on dark nights for hunting. The moons were always in the sky, but when the rain would fall, there would be no light.

          "Why do you keep asking so many questions about him asking for her hand?" he finally asked as we came to another cross section. Turning right, I followed behind him, watching carefully to the way that his shoulders tensed at the question. Something about this conversation was not settling right with him. And I wanted to know why.

          "Because you have very strange customs." I answered. "My people... we do not make proposals. We make offerings. Everything that we do, everything that we are, it is all for the future. In my past, the past several cycles to be exact, when I was offered a proposal, it was for the man's benefit. I never agreed. It was too much for me to sit and lie there while man after man ravished me, let alone offering for another round, promising to give me something in return: my freedom. I accepted a proposal once. But it never happened." I whispered, looking up at him as he stopped completely, turning to look at me. His brows were scrunched together in concern and worry. Shaking my head I took a breath to calm my frantic heartbeat. "So forgive me if I do not understand the offering of a crystal to sweeten a proposal.

           "Your customs are strange to me. They're foreign. Just as I am sure that mine are to you. But to me, a proposal is like a thief in the night. They sneak up on you,  completely unaware of what is to come, but you trust that things will be alright. And then, when it seems like all is well, it isn't. Your broken, something is taken is from you, giving nothing in return."

           "I truly had no idea that our customs were so different." he whispered in disbelief. "Forgive me. I did not mean to upset you, Vixas." he whispered before lowering his head in an apology. I lowered my head in return, having found it was a sign of respect being shown against guards and warriors in this kingdom.

          "All is forgiven, though there is no reason for it. But I do ask, why a proposal?" I asked with my head tilted to the side, looking up at him. I could feel my ears dropping down slightly, showing that I was giving up my defense for a moment. This seemed to shock him, for his eyes widened as he swallowed.

          "We shall continue forth and I will explain." he said after a moment. I nodded, walking to stand beside him, giving a kind nod, receiving on in return. And then, we walked forward, a slop finally starting to cause us to head upwards towards the mouth of the tunnel. "In our culture, it is customary for a male to find a life partner, someone to share his life with and grow old with." A life mate...? "But, for this to happen, we must search. There is a spark inside all of us, though it will not grow until the other has been found. When you are close to the one that your heart belongs to... it ignites into a roaring fire. You feel warmth, a pull towards that person. It is the gods way of showing us the part of our soul that was removed at birth.

         "When a Marinna is born, it is said that we are born with half a soul: our very being. And it is our life's mission to find the other half. And once it is found, you will be complete." He looked down at me, the sadness and regret in his eyes growing into a roaring flame. I felt something then, something that caused me to look away. It was shame. I had not felt something like this before. However, I could tell that he once had felt it. That confused me.

          "A life mate." I whispered. He nodded, smiling at me.

          "Yes, a life mate." Clearing his throat slightly, he turned back to looking forward, the slop starting to become greater, causing his to have to hold the wall with one hand to help us keep our balance. "And when we find our life mate, we must make a proposal: a declaration of love. For this, we must take something of value, something with great value to the... life mate. For this male, it was a crystal necklace."

          "Why must you offer something to the other? Is your love and soul not enough?" I asked, looking at him as I tried to piece the puzzle together. This confused me, but it seemed he was trying to simplify it for me to be able to understand. There was much more to this, but I was thankful that he was letting me know their customs a little better, as I had let him know some of mine.

         "You must prove yourself. If you show that you are willing to give up your most valued and precious item to the one that holds your soul and heart, then it shows them that you are fully theirs. It's a promise, a proposal. A promise for a greater life full of love and joy." he said with a sad smile.

         "And if the female accepts the gift... she has chosen him?" He nodded. "And the gift shows that he has chosen her over all else?" He nodded again. I bit the inside of my cheek, thinking for a moment. "Perhaps our cultures are not so different then. But, they are still so different. My people... we choose our life mates on the night of the Silver Moon, to help allow a seed to grow inside the womb. But, we do not choose our life mate how you choose yours. We do not have... a spark that grows into a flame. We choose by the skill and talent of the potential mate. We mate for a better tomorrow, but find love on the journey. At least, that it what it seems. I was not able to complete my mating..." I whispered, sighing slightly.

        "When we choose, we place a marking on the neck of the mate with a special paint made from the bark of Mother Tree. If the mark is placed, and they receive one in return, then they are mated for life. But it must be done under the Silver Moon at its peek." He nodded his head in understanding. "Similar, but very different." I whispered.

         He nodded, taking a breath before scratching a place on the back of his neck.

        "And you have found your life mate." I said, looking at him as I moved before him, only to turn and block his path. He stopped, looking down at me with shocked eyes. I could see that he wished for me to tell him why I knew this. It seemed to be written all over him. "There is a sadness around you when you spoke of these things. It was as if it pained you to speak of them. It is something that we learn in the teachings: how to read what another is thinking or feeling. You are very obvious." Tenoos let out a large sigh.

        "Yes... I have found my life mate." he whispered in defeat.

        "Then why are you saddened by this?"

        "Because I will never be with her." he said, the anger bubbling inside him. I blinked a few times, not understanding. Tilting my head to the side, I watched as he seemed to be remembering the events of what happened when they had met.

        "Why?" I asked as he started to move forward, wanting to drop the conversation completely. I was not done receiving answers.

         "It is forbidden. We may lay with a woman, allowing our seed to grow, but we may never commit. That is why I will never be with her. I had tried when I was a young lad, but it did not work in my favor. I was given my scar that night, after I had watched her be placed on the stake and burned before me, her screams filling the night. I had just come of age to be taken into the guard like my Father had before me. Plant your seed, serve the King and Kingdom, then die honorably. That is the life of a warrior. We give up our other half so that others may have theirs." Tenoos had his jaw clenched as he spoke, each word seeming to be like that of a spear, piercing him in the heart repeatedly. He was in pain because of this.

         "You regret your decision?" I asked, looking at him as we walked forward. He shook his head, disagreeing with the question.

         "I do not regret following the path set before me."

         "And your life mate?" He did not answer, only frowned before taking a few more steps forward. The tunnel came to a halt as a wall blocked us from the path. Taking the key from his hip, he moved a stone to the side before placing it inside the large crack. With a quick turn, there was a clicking sound as the ball in the tumblers started to roll, allowing the lock to be open. And then, the wall lifted and we were met with the sound of the sea meeting the sand, and the wind blowing into the tunnel.

          "Surprise." he whispered instead, motioning for me to take a step forward onto the earth. With large eyes, I felt a trembling inside me as the joy and disbelief started to sink in. My feet stopped padding against stone, but soon found the soft blades of grass. My breath caught in my throat, my eyes blurring with few tears. I was not under the glass sea... I was above it. On land... with the air, sky, stars, moons.

        Placing the torch down, I removed the cloak from me completely, letting it fall to the ground, pooling behind me. My hair was free, blowing around me as the wind blew softly. The early night sky was in deep shades of blues, purples, reds, and oranges. All the colors were vibrant, swirling in patterns that could never be described anything other than 'breathtaking'. Stars twinkled around the moons, some larger and closer, while others were smaller, soft glowing spots in the sky. I had always wondered what they were as a child, but now as I looked up at them... I believe I finally understood what they were.

        For as long as I could remember, when my fears were becoming too great, I would look up at the night sky and whisper all my fears and wishes to them. Now, it seems that they had answered my prayers. They were giving me hope, each god and ancestor in the sky, the warriors of our past, looking down on me to give me the strength that I could never have asked for.

        Taking a few more steps forward, I let the wind blow around me, closing my eyes as I listened to the sound of crashing waves on the shore.

        "Thank you..." I whispered as I heard Tenoos come to stand beside me.

         "I don't think thanks is necessary." he whispered in return. I smiled, opening my eyes as I looked at him. "You're welcome," he said a moment later, giving me a kind half smile. I returned it, only to look back up at the night sky, completely captivated by it's beauty. It had never crossed my mind how enclosed and lonely that Marinas was until this moment. This land was open, free, where you could roam and run until you ran out of breath. But, nor Marinas. It was enclosed, not reaching far enough to truly run to your hearts content. Yes, the Kingdom was large, almost as large as Namaria... but it would never be enough for a spirit that had tasted freedom. It would never be enough for me.

         "Why did you take me here?" I asked a while later. We laid on the soft blades of grass, looking up and watching the stars and moons. For the first time in several years, I felt more relaxed, more myself. I was finally able to whisper my fears to the stars and moons, the weight leaving me completely. But, my fears, though were lifted, still lingered. Because I knew that my fear would return. Kratos... I feared him, feared the way the warmth was wrapping around me when he was near, or how his scent seemed to dull my senses like that of a strong wine or Ale. It worried me.

        "Because ever phoenix should be able to stretch their wings. No one wants to be locked up... stuck somewhere that they can never truly be themselves. You are an Eenack, your people are connected with the land. His majesty doesn't understand that. But, perhaps, if you spoke with him when he returns, perhaps then he would understand." He offered, turning to look at me with a kind smile. I chuckled, closing my eyes.

        "He is more stubborn than I believe a wild beast is. Kratos would never listen to anything that I say. It wouldn't change anything. He doesn't even see me as a living being... I'm just a..." I sat up then, bringing my knees to my chest, lifting the skirt of my dress up. The crystals shown in the starlight, twinkling bright as the iridescent glow matched that of the glass sea. "I'm just a savage slave to him." I whispered. It seemed that that very thing that I spoke, was become more and more true everyday. And the other fear of mine... was that I was believing it to be true.

        "You're not a savage, let alone a slave. Our King..." he sighed before sitting up, looking down at all four cuffs that held me to this Kingdom. "It takes time for him to see things from other perspectives. He means well, he does. But, men are difficult by nature. It's part of our very being." He let out a breath, causing me to smile slightly. "Give him time. When he became King, the kingdom was in cayuse. But, somehow he pulled everything together, placed things how they should be. And we thrive now -powerful and true- because of his guidance. Don't just try to let him see your perspective, try to see his. And perhaps then you will see that, even though you do not enjoy his company, that perhaps he isn't as evil as you make him out to be."

        I blinking a few times, looking down at my cuffs once again. Could that be true...? Should I truly try to view things from his perspective? Hadn't I already? I was a savage to these people, different, foreign and unusual. I would receive odd looks, like they didn't see me as an equal. I was a jewel to them. Not a living and breathing soul. That was the problem. Perhaps it all would be.

        But then, I realized something. Perhaps, not being an equal was another fear of mine? And with that thought I sent a whisper up to the stars, hoping that it would no longer be a fear.

_____

        "Kratos!" I heard behind me. Turning from the balcony, the glass of wine in my hand, I looked to see Alaric move toward me, a smile on his face. I smirked in return, moving to look away from the night sky. Reaching for my arm, I offered mine in return before we clasped the others forearm. Instantly, my body was warmed with the fire of Namaria, and the connection of the lands growing stronger.

        "Hello, cousin." I greeted in return, moving back into my original position to look at the stars. They were different tonight, seeming to be brighter the farther away from me that they were. It seemed like those above my kingdom shown bright, like that of a sun, soaking the land and glass sea in soft light. Would Vixas enjoy a sight like this? It seemed she was always so fascinated when she was around life that wasn't Marinna. At least... it seemed to be the case when she was around me. Was I truly so terrible, a monster, that she would hate me so? But, I knew she felt it too... she must. The warmth was there, the pull. It would take time, yes, but I could wait. She would be worth it in the end.

        "Always a man of few words. And a man with the weight of a woman on his chest. Something is troubling you." He said with a knowing look towards me. His eyes were dancing tonight, the deep gold bright as the joy for his daughter filled him.

        "Few, but always true." I nodded at him. "Yes, a woman troubles me." I whispered. He laughed, lifting his glass towards mine, clinking them together.

        "I know the feeling all too well, cousin. You do remember who I am married to?" I nodded in agreement, knowing that her Majesty and mother of the Kingdoms was a wild soul, always curious and wanting to know more. She reminded me of Vixas, so much that it frightened me of their similarities. Perhaps they were kindred spirits in another lifetime... if such a thing existed? "Women... are complicated creatures. Pure seduction, yet can be so trusting and naïve. At least, in my case it was. But, something tells me that it is not with you." I nodded once again in agreement.

        "I have found my soul, cousin." I said before taking a drink of the wine, allowing the burning alcohol to warm my throat and belly. Alaric smiled instantly, patting my shoulder in congratulations. But, it was pointless. She did not feel the same, hated my very being. And, I couldn't blame her, if I was honest with myself. And I had to be honest. Had I not shown her that I cared, though? I had taken her to my sanctuary, a place of peace and prayer, only meant to be shared with my Queen. She wanted time and distance for me, and I had gifted her that. What more could I do to prove myself worthy?

        Is it because of her life mate...? What did she call him? Did she even give a name to him? Yes... once, in her sleep. Maketis, I believe it was. He believed her to be dead surely.

        "And why is it that you have not invited us to the wedding?" he joked with me, motioning for us to move back inside the ballroom where the party was truly moving forward. Couples littered the floor in elegant gowns and robes, cousins and their wives wearing crowns, while the children ran around and laughed. Was I not worthy of something like this? "Oh come now, surely things are not so bad." he said with a smile, just in time when Amira walked forward, seeming to be looking for her husband. "Zeita." he whispered before reaching for her, instantly enveloping her small and elegant frame into his arms. I turned away as he kissed her passionately, the jealousy stirring in my heart.

         "I'm so pleased to see you, Kratos." I heard Amira speak when she reached for my hand. I placed hers in mine, bringing the wrist up to give it a small kiss of greeting. She smiled at me in gratitude, Alaric already wrapping his arms around her waist, placing soft kisses on her shoulder and neck. I must get away from them immediately, the jealousy was starting to make my heart beat in my chest at a rapid pace, burning me with hatred and envy.

       "Your grace, it is always a pleasure to see you again. Your daughter is as beautiful as the morning sun at the New Moon." she smiled at me. And it was true, Naomie had grown into a beautiful woman, her curiosity seeming to have been outgrown by this age. Now, she was married to a King, tying all the kingdoms together finally.

        "Your majesty," I heard behind us as someone spoke, interrupting our conversation. All of us turned to look at a tall man, a warrior that I had never seen before. But, what shocked me was the markings on his body. They reminded me so much of those that covered Vixas under her breasts and side, on her thighs and feet even. With large grey eyes, black hair that was in a long braid that fell to the floor, he was powerful and strong. Only a few inches of height stopped him from being taller than me. I had never see a warrior this strong or tall, let alone with a braid this long.

         Nodding slowly at Alaric, he spoke again. "Forgive my interruption. The area is secure. But I do not suggest that we take our guard down. This man... something about his kingdom is different, offsetting. It is my personal opinion that my warriors stay here as I search the other Kingdoms of any danger." he spoke. I noticed the different accent that caused the words to roll off his tongue. He was not from here, seeming to have difficulty not allowing the r's in words to roll of his tongue, or click the words.

         It was something that Vixas did when I seemed to be getting on her nerves. Yes, she spoke the common tongue easily, but it was clearly not her birth given tongue. Who was this man?

        "Thank you. I will speak with my head guardsman, and then we shall continue with the discussion." The man nodded again before his eyes locked with me, raising a brow at me. Then, with a single breath, his eyes grew slightly. I froze instantly, making sure to stay calm and collected on the outside. Giving nothing away, he watched me closely.

      "I do not believe that I have met you before, your Grace." he said stepping forward.

       "Ah, forgive me for not introducing you. Maketis, this is my cousin Kratos. King of the Glass sea and Kingdom of Marinas. Cousin, this is Maketis, the leader and chief of the Eenack tribe and warriors. My apologizes." In that moment, everything stopped for a few moments. This was the man that Vixas had promised herself to before being taken. He had not protected her enough. He had let her go, to become captured and sold to the Pleasure House. It was his doing that she had been harmed and taken from her people, and in return and come to me. In a way, I felt hatred and gratitude towards him. "Maketis will be joining you on your voyage home, making sure that the Kingdom is secure before moving on." I nodded then, feeling a need to smirk grow inside me.

        Maketis simply watched me, looking at me with dark eyes as he inspected me, smelling every now and then. If he was to accompany me, and this truly was the man that was destined to be with my Vixas, it seemed that I was going to need to keep them apart in his stay.

 _______

        The party continued, though I had never truly enjoyed festivities as these. Deciding for some fresh air and peace from the large crowd, I left to take a walk in the gardens, wanting to see the Water Dragon that had been a gift from me when Alaric came into age of becoming King. And sure enough, as soon as I was close to the lake, I could see the shimmering water scales of the dragon. Smiling slightly, I watched as it moved around, bathing in the moonlight.

        "Your scent... it is familiar to me." I heard behind me. I did not move to look toward the man that would be my souls undoing.

        "I do not see the importance of my scent to you, Warrior." I said as he came to stand beside me. Placing my hands behind my back, we stood there, watching the dragon swimming around.

        Dropping his voice slightly, allowing him to pronounce the words carefully, he did not look at me until his words had been spoken.

        "I am looking for someone. Four cycles ago, a female warrior from my tribe was taken when we were attacked. You smell similar to her... and she did not have a very common scent." He spoke softly, seeming to be filled with curiosity and wanting. This angered me. She would not be leaving with him. Vixas belonged to me. And I would not let her go, not after she has started to become used to my presence. It would take time, but time was slowly working. Vixas was becoming used to me, and perhaps this would let her start to see things from my perspective.

       "I do not understand the meaning of this question." I simply said.

        Taking a breath, he turned to me completely.

        "Her name is Vixas, and she is my Life Mate and the woman who stands beside me to lead my tribe. She was taken from me, and I swore that I would never give up until she was found and returned home safely. You smell of her, which concerns me and makes me question who you are, and what your intentions are. You are fearful in this moment, fearful of me finding something out that you wish to keep concealed. And I believe it has something to do with my life mate. So, I shall ask once more. Do you know anything about this female and where she is?"

       Without a second thought, I had grabbed his throat and placed him down on the ground, looming over him.

      "It is non of your concern if I know of this woman or not. I am your King, and you will respect me and my privacy. If I wish to answer this question, then I will. Until then, do not ever question me again." I spoke calmly. He never flinched, only watched me as I released him after I was finished speak. Standing up quickly, he called after me as I left to head to my bed chambers.

        "I serve no King, Kratos. And if I do find that you know where she is, I will not hesitate to kill you. This I promise to the gods."

       I chuckled, a smirk on my lips as I continued forth.

        "I look forward to it then, Warrior." And with that, I left him in the night.

____________

QUICK QUESTION TIME!

I'd love to know how you are enjoying the story so far.

And, which team are you on? Team Maketis? Or Team Kratos? Can't wait to see who you are rooting for! :)
xoxo

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

231 35 28
I woke to a sudden breeze invading the warmth from the heavy blanket that caressed my skin. Here, alone with my thoughts, the still, calm quiet in th...
419 108 28
"If I risk it all, could you break my fall? How do I live? How do I breathe? When your not here i'm sufficated. I wanna feel love, run through my blo...
698 47 42
There are worse things than death. ___ "What is wrong with you?" I seethed. She had my back against the wall, pinning me down so I couldn't move. Sh...
23.4M 637K 37
CAUTION CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT. "Say it, Allison," he said, his voice low as he trapped me against the rough wall. A shiver ran down my spine, his...