Thanatos : The Red Dawn

By Devita33

((A Wattpad featured story)) *COMPLETED* #1 in Fantasy (Book #1 in the DAWN series) #greekmythology The Red... More

Thanatos : The Red Dawn (Book 1) Prologue
(1)Russet Shades
(2)Tuscan Red Rogue
(3)Wine coloured poison
(4)Tinted to Crimson
(5)Flamboyant Flame
(6)Morbid Maroon
(7)The Cardinal Sin
(8)Bloody Truth
(9)Rusted in Resistance
(10)Silhouettes in the Sunset
(11)Rosy Candle Light
(12)Sorrow-filled Vermilion Coast
(13)Scarlett Facades
(14)A Carmine Salute (Part 1)
(14)A Carmine Salute (Part 2)
(15)A Quaking Scarlet
(16)Hell is a Cherry Red
(17)Sour Raspberries
(18)Son of a Burgundy (Part 1)
(18)Son of a Burgundy (Part 2)
(19)Torn up in Red wine
(20)Coquelicot's Demise
(22)Rosso Sognare (Part 1)
(22)Rosso Sognare (Part 2)
(23)Rosey Trance
(24)Ruddy Minds
(25)The lost Scarlet
(26)Cardinal Fix
(27)The Cherry-Sway
(28)A Red hunger
(29)A Dangerous Flame
(30)A Plea in Crimson
(31)Sour Strawberries
(32)Forget the Bad Blood
(33)My Fire, My Fury
(34)Bribes, Burgundy and Bastards
(35)The Blushing Game
(36)Unforgiving Scarlet
(36)Unforgiving Scarlet (Part 2)
(37)Auburn and Outlandish
(38)Bordeaux Touch
(39)Ruby Camaraderie
(40)The Sunrise Theory
(41)Garnet Wine and Familiar Yearning
(42)A Carnelian Damsel
(43)Bloody Intrusion (Part 1)
(43)Bloody Intrusion (Part 2)
(44)Sweet Vermilion Dreams
(45)Pomegranate Pips (Part 1)
(45)Pomegranate Pips(Part 2)
Epilogue
Crimson Pieces- The Tales Book
FACTS
SEQUEL
1 Million

(21)Coercing Coral Rivers

34K 1.7K 437
By Devita33

"I had no regrets either, but that didn't mean I had no shame..."

Coercing Coral Rivers...

"Wake up, angel..."

My eyes opened with effort. It was light. Lighter than before, but somehow darker than I'd expected.

It was morning.

Thanatos had closed the blinds and curtains, creating a cozy, yet stuffy atmosphere. It had been his voice calling me awake, not that of the mystery woman who'd taken my breath away with one simple stare.

"Angel..."

I blinked. My eyes opened more until my vision wasn't as blurry, but the confusion remained, keeping me tense and rigid. 

Was that really only a dream? It felt like so much more... Is she related to me somehow? Was she human? Why didn't I have a reflection in those tall mirrors and how did I experience everything with such vibrancy? Most importantly- did I really spend the night in Death's arms?

And if that was true- what the in the hell is wrong with me?

"What-" I quickly slapped away any hand or face that was within a foot of my body and sat straight up in the bed. 

I knew he was next to me. My body could sense his. I waited for the inevitable protests.

Nothing came. 

Instead, there was silence; except for the sea breeze blowing in through the white curtains. Some birds chirped softly outside my balcony and a few cars drove past on the main road along the beach, flaring their engines.

Thanatos, however, said nothing. Eventually, a large tanned hand placed itself next to mine on the white bed sheet. My hands were placed on either side of my hips and my head was directed to the front. I refused to show my sudden fear and self-loathing, but it was so difficult to manage with this creature sitting behind me. 

I felt like his eyes were burning a hole through my head and I had no excuse as to why I'd allowed him to hold me through the night. I had no regrets either, but that didn't mean I had no shame.

His hand was warm, but not as warm as his breath that tickled my neck as he pushed up behind me and pressed his chest to my back. He gently steered his mouth to my right ear and whispered something I hadn't expected in a million years- "Good morning..."

I laughed.

Yes, laughed.

Thanatos' voice was like honey and I would've been less surprised if he'd said that he had a pet ferret by name of twinkle-toes, but 'good morning'? That just didn't fit with what I felt.

I couldn't handle the awkward tension that seemingly only I felt. So I jumped up from the high bed and walked towards the balcony, my hands on my hips. I needed space. I needed advice that made sense. The air around me was stuffy.

Thanatos stayed seated on my bed; I didn't allow my eyes to wander in his direction. I wasn't ready for him just yet.

"I take it you had a pleasant dream?" His sounded amused, but there was an underlying tone of concern hidden in his voice. I tried to keep my cool and not show my complete loss of words or my absolute confusion. 

I had, for the first time in my life, no idea what the hell to do. I always had a plan, but this morning, all of my plans just seemed too silly, too useless or too impossible to even consider.

So I let his question hang in the thick air.

The cool breeze was blocked by the curtains; so not even that could sooth my heated cheeks. I considered opening the blinds and stepping outside onto the balcony, but then I'd have to face the world. I'd have to face what had happened. What I allowed to happen.

I stayed put until the ground would swallow me up or the air would make me disappear.

No such luck.

"Aurora..." His voice was careful.

I realised then that last night did a number on him as well- not just me. It seemed like he was different; he certainly acted strangely. He had a more cautious tone to his voice; I had no idea whether or not that was in any way a good thing.

I tried to make my problem vanish by not answering.

Again, no such luck.

"Angel..."

"Why?" My voice was so soft it took me a moment too realise I'd said my thoughts aloud. 

Thanatos, though, had heard me.

"Why not?" His answer was good enough, and so I turned around to meet the devil once again.

There he sat, his strong arms supporting his upper body as he leaned back on the bed. His legs were partly covered by the white sheets and from the angle where I stood, it almost looked like Thanatos was nude- his hips and thighs covered with the white blanket. His body was turned in my direction and his eyes were focused solely on mine. 

I felt naked under his scrutiny. Those red eyes were like bright suns, shooting flames. His arched eyebrows were beautifully sculpted and his lashes were longer and darker than any man's I'd ever seen. A supermodel would've been jealous of his high cheekbones and that chin was made to be admired. 

Thanatos' hair was disheveled and tousled, which made it look even blacker and thicker; if that were even possible. I paused my breathing. Thanatos had the most beautiful sun-kissed skin I'd ever seen. He lived up to the expectation of every Greek god ever. 

I wondered then, for the hundredth time, why he wasn't the Greek god of beauty instead.

My eyes couldn't help but stray down to those impeccably sweet lips and my heart did a flip at how deliciously adorable he looked with his parted pout and that concerned look in his eyes. Was he honestly concerned?

Or was that the lack of fresh air playing mind games with my head?

Either way, his tone was full of hidden unease. "Come here."

I shook my head slowly. My voice had left me. Thanatos held my gaze as he pulled the sheets from his body. I blushed slightly at the thought of him actually sleeping in the nude. 

He kept his eyes on my face as he stood up and walked towards me, with a certain grace that put me into a trance in an instant. This walk was unlike his normal walk, which reminded me so much of a snake. This was like he was walking towards an injured deer, not yet sure if it was worth killing or saving.

I felt like I was trapped, even though there was so much room for me to move away and to duck. I honestly can't say that I wanted to... My disobedient eyes traveled down to his hip tattoo. A scorpion on the prowl. 

"Come here." He spoke those words again. I felt frightened to acknowledge that I wanted to obey.

Instead of deciding to do as he asked or run away, I stayed put. Leaving my head undecided again.

Thanatos, however, moved closer, his mind fully made up. He was a foot away. I felt like whimpering, but then fought against it. 'Never show fear' -Trita would've said that. Then again, Sonya would've told me to run.

Thanatos lifted his hand with grace, and then gently he lifted my chin. He was being tender and his eyes were filled with charm. I didn't trust it. He was too calm, and yet, the sincerity in his eyes seemed genuine. 

Slowly he leaned in. I tried to pull my head back, my mind suddenly coming to its senses, but Thanatos held my face in his strong grip; his eyes steely. I knew what I'd allowed him to do then, which was get close. It was too late when I'd noticed that he was too close.

He leaned in further, his musky scent filling my nose. His hot breath tickled my neck and suddenly I felt a sharp pang of warmth. He was kissing my neck. 

The patch of heat began to travel upwards, towards my jaw-line. I tried to struggle free, but Thanatos' one arm slid firmly around my back and held me tightly against his bare chest while his other hand kept my chin angled up to the ceiling.

"What do you want?" My voice was confused, but also sounded numb to my own ears.

"A 'good morning'." Thanatos chuckled, his chest vibrating against mine. I pushed down the desire in my stomach.

"Fine! Good morning, prick." The anger popped from within me. It knocked me over with surprise.

Thanatos let go of my chin and suddenly my eyes met with two deep, red flames that made it very difficult for me to stand. I suddenly lost my voice and if it weren't for him holding me upright, I would probably have fallen to the floor.

"That's no way to treat the man who kept you safe and warm throughout the long night." His eyes were smouldering and his voice was like a hoarse, sugar-coated whisper. I knew what he was trying to do. He was trying to seduce me. It was working.

"I- Sorry..." I just said sorry. Shoot me. "I mean- No. You're a such a narcissist, gods, just..."

Those eyes. "Just..." Those lips. "Just..."

"Yes?" Again with the hoarse voice. It was so... different. So delectable. So...

So sexy.

I wanted more.

"I'll give you more." Thanatos leaned right into my face and the eagerness in his eyes looked so genuine and enthusiastic; it was like he'd been waiting a century just to hear me think that.

No, Aurora, no...Focus! I know it's hard, but focus. Don't unknowingly agree to something you'll later regret.

Sometimes I wish I could slap the annoying self-righteous voice in the back of my head.

"Woah..." I pushed away from Thanatos' chest. He stalked through my thoughts like a sharp dagger and I felt like I'd just escaped a mistake as his head reared back out of my personal space. "I don't mean it like that."

"Of course you do." He didn't even give me chance to finish my sentence before he tried to persuade me. Thanatos was desperate, it was so painfully obvious. I felt over-whelmed with flattery. Could this beautifully, perfect creature actually want to be with me? That's impossible.

"I'll prove you wrong." Thanatos spoke as he turned me around in his arms, leading me towards the bed; "I'll be gentle."

Woah. What? I've been staring into his eyes too deeply. Did he just suggest...? Oh, fuck.

"Exactly..." Thanatos said with a sexy, smirk; his eyes foggy with anticipation. 

I froze up like a nun.

I wasn't exactly too proud, but at least what I did next made up for my loss of courage in the past few days.

I ducked down like a scared, little animal, ready to dive into its hole at the first sight of danger. Thanatos didn't expect me to do anything of the sort, so it was relatively easy to quickly crawl through his open legs and jump up on the other side. 

If only I was as quick with my running as I was with my ducking.

I large pair of hands grabbed me from behind and suddenly I was slammed against a concrete wall. Oh, no... Never mind, I was being held against Thanatos' chest, which, by all laws of nature, shouldn't be this hard. 

His voice was colder and deeper than before. I regretted irritating him; we all know how he deals with annoyance; "You could've just said no."

I stopped my struggling and replied sarcastically; "Oh, my apologies, I didn't think you were so rational."

Suddenly, I was whipped around by his strong arms and came face-to-face with his cocky grin. His eyes, however, held a small glimmer of hurt. "Did I not prove to you last night that I can be sensible?"

"No." I tugged myself from his grip, which broke relatively easily, and took a few steps back. "If you were rational, you wouldn't have crept into bed with me."

My tongue felt like a knife. I wanted to cut his cocky grin to pieces. His eyes dimmed and I could feel the air thicken with the expectation of finally being able to have a fully fledged conversation with Thanatos- the man with a thousand distractions.

"You know what your problem is- you're far too critical." His playful edge was gone and was replaced by a seriously annoyed looking frown.

I kept my stance, finally ready to put an end to this air of mystery surrounding this mad man in front of me. After so long, my courage had returned and I wasn't about to let it slip again.

"How has anything bad that's happened got to do with me? For once- just once- tell me what the hell you want with me!" I spoke through anger and felt oddly safe knowing that my temper could maybe get me out of this situation. I had no idea how, of course, but the feeling of rage growing inside of me was far better than that of fear. 

I was going to use everything I had to my advantage. Thanatos sighed. For the very first time, he looked tired.

Didn't he sleep last night?

His voice was laced with an emotion I couldn't pinpoint; "Sit down."

"No. I've had enough of this running around in circles. Tell me what I want to know or I swear I'l-"

"What? You'll what?" His red eyes were so treacherously laced with impatience that I had to look down and back up again to clear my thoughts.

I'd angered him. I'd challenged him, and even though he seemingly loved it some days, this morning was not one of those days. He was scary when he raised his voice- I needed to learn the limits of his patience. Somehow I doubted he'd lose it around me, but I could tell from the way he watched me, this was a man very much used to commanding. 

"I said sit."

I sat right down where I stood. Right on the cold floor.

Thanatos was momentarily surprised by my sudden obedience, but quickly pushed the astonishment away. He could see I only did it to further the conversation and that I wasn't letting go of this no matter what. He bent down and sat down across from me, on the floor.

I felt relieved- his standing figure was too tall for me to look up at. I felt insanely small compared to his stature. As he crossed his legs in front of him and placed his hands on his knees, I calmly glared at him through my thick lashes. He was keeping his distance and trying hard to keep me calm; what for- I didn't know.

A sudden thought filled my head.

Maybe the strange woman was right- maybe Thanatos was not the thing I had to fear. Perhaps he was about to tell me what it was that I really had to be scared of... Or maybe he was about to lie, because, in all honesty, how could I trust him?

"Aurora..." I ignored the way he spoke my name; his tongue caressing the letters with tender care.

"Tell me what I want to know. Tell me why you're here, in my life. Doing what you're doing."

He paused, his eyes focused on something behind me. I felt like pulling his attention fully back towards me.

We sat on the cold floor a few inches from each other and I could still feel the bubbling electricity surge between our bodies. A dark curl fell into his eyes and my temper got slightly distracted as he pushed it back with his large tanned hand. 

My imagination ran wild with the thought of his hand in other places- FocusYou're mad at him! Furious! So very fu-Why is he licking his lips like that?

Dammit.

"Can I show you?"

It was such a silent request that I'd almost missed it.

"Um..." A smile tugged at Thanatos' lips as I reared my concentration back to the matter at hand. The bastard knew exactly what he was doing to me.

Son of a bitch.

"Alright." I tried to sound composed, but my reply was just as hushed as his question had been. It was like we were trying not to wake someone who was sleeping nearby. My voice was laced with curiosity, but I felt watchful as well. 

With him around you had to be.

"Are you sure?" He asked again, but this time his grin was curious, as if watching me for any sign of hesitation. He liked my curiosity, I could tell. I didn't pause one second. "Yes."

Thanatos nodded his head once. "Don't say I didn't warn you..."

I felt confused suddenly and instinctively alert. Did I just unintentionally get myself into a risky situation- again? I should really think this stuff through. "But you didn't?"

His smile was sweet, but somehow to my eyes it looked like his grin was saying- 'you silly girl...'

Aww, shit.

I jumped up faster than I'd ever done in my entire life as he pulled a massively long scythe from mid-air.

I don't think I've ever sprinted as fast as I did at that very moment. My feet barely hit the floor.

I ran towards the balcony. The curtains flew up into the air and the blinds slammed against the window as I flung them to the side; Death at my heels.

"Stop!" His voice shot towards me like a bullet as I pressed my entire body against the balcony's edge and peered over, looking for some way to escape.

"Stop and listen!" His voice calmed down to a degree. I flung myself around ready to fight him off. If he thought I would go down easily, he thought wrong!

But instead of glaring at the sexy, nearly-nude god, I found myself ogling a new creature. Thanatos was dressed to kill. Literally.

His whole outfit consisted of a deep black, leather material. His pants were tighter, but hard and it defined every muscle in his legs. Thanatos' boots were laced up. The material looked indestructible. His chest was covered by a black cotton-like shirt with a high collar and leather armour vest. The deep black cape was back- the one with a mind of its own. It was fastened to his broad shoulders with that very same crimson gemstone at the front.

Gloves covered those tanned hands that brought waves of pleasure. Though, what didn't bring me any 'pleasure', was the fact that one of his hands held the largest, meanest and most dangerous-looking scythes I'd ever laid eyes on. 

It was clear that weapon was not from Earth.

Now I regret running. Great.

"Uh..." I don't think at that moment it was possible for my mouth to close. He looked too good. The awful thing was- he knew it.

And there I stood; my hair a mess, no make-up and probably the worst morning-breath ever.

"As I was saying... Listen to what I have to offer." His cockiness was back. That earlier concern and gentleness a thing of the past. I seemed like this outfit held no room for emotions like that. I'm surprised his ego could fit into such tight armor.

I sighed and blew a stray hair out of my eyes. "You've got to be joking."

Even though I was actually talking to myself, Thanatos answered with a superior grin; "I'm afraid not, angel. Now, let's go." With a fast swing of his arm, Thanatos ripped, literally ripped, a hole in the air.

My legs buckled against the balcony's edge.

The hole was growing by the second, forming a large irregular rectangle that seemed to fit Thanatos' shape and size. Inside the hole was space- or at least that's what it looked like. There were silver stars and the sky was a rich black. I think I would've fainted if it weren't for the cold breeze keeping me from over-heating.

So what the hell do normal people do in a situation like this?

My blue eyes were wide with bewilderment while I just stared at the scene unfolding in front of me. Had anyone else witnessed this? Was anyone watching us?

"Come. We're leaving."

I blinked slowly. "Are you insane? I'm not going in there!"

Thanatos sighed loudly. He really was so impatient. "Now, Aurora."

"Ha! Fat chance!" I tried to run away and dodge to the side, but Thanatos expected it before I even had the chance to move my feet. He blocked my path with his large frame; his hand shot out and grabbed my upper arm. 

I tried to pull away but he kept me firmly rooted to the spot. I stopped struggling, knowing it was useless to fight against him. I tried a different strategy. "Let me at least change into something descent." I pointed down to my thin, satin nightdress.

"No, I prefer this look." His gaze strayed down to my body and I leaned in so I could meet it- and so he could stop taking my clothes off with those red eyes.

He looked annoyed as I blocked his view by crossing my arms over my chest; "I'm not leaving before I change."

His expression was one of deep annoyance. "Hurry."

He let go of my arm and watched as I scurried off into my bedroom to change. I quickly grabbed a few items of clothing and ran to the bathroom. There was no escape route there, not that it would help to escape in any way. 

Hell, if I knew he could tear holes in the air I would've just saved myself the embarrassment of trying to run. I guess my instincts have a different opinion on that.

I closed the door and took a deep breath.

What in the hell? I'm so screwed. Sometimes I wonder how I get myself into these situations.

There is a large hole on my balcony that looks like it just materialised from a very realistic sci-fi movie! How do you explain that to the neighbours?

Hopelessly, I looked down at the clothes in my hand. I'd grabbed a grey shirt, a pair of black skinny jeans and two different coloured socks. This would have to do. If I was on my way to the North Pole however, I'd have to reconsider my clothing options.

I promptly examined myself in the mirror. I quickly slipped on my blue and pink socks and a pair of white sneakers. I tried to steady myself against the towel rack behind me, but the softness of the towels brushing against my exposed skin were a distraction. My thoughts instantly drifted to Thanatos' touch and I blushed ferociously. 

I quickly shook my head to rid myself of those thoughts. He was standing right outside probably enjoying my flustered head.

Right next to the large freaking hole on my balcony!

I hastily clipped a pair of plain silver hoops in my ear with shaky hands and tried not to think too much about how I wanted to look a little nice for him. With two quick brushes of my hair and a brisk wash of my face I looked up at the mirror and noticed that I was actually excited. I was honestly excited to finally have this mystery solved.

I didn't dare smile, but the expression on my face wasn't one of anger or sadness either.

A knock sounded on the door. "Aurora."

With one puff of my hair to give it more volume, I quickly swung open the door. Thanatos stood on the other side waiting for me; his eyes suspicious. He was worried that I'd try and conjure up some sort of plan to escape. He didn't have to worry. I wasn't that smart or fast.

"Finally..." He spoke with a deep appreciation in his voice. His eyes were stroking my body again and I glared at him. 

This was never going to end, was it? "Can we go now?" I blushed. I hated that he could make me blush. Other boys didn't make me blush. Then again, he wasn't a boy.

Thanatos looked up and his smile broadened. "Well, we could... Or we could try on some other things." His eyebrows wriggled suggestively, "Namely, the sheets?"

I scoffed. "As if..."

"It was merely a suggestion."

"Sure." I walked past him. I could feel his burning eyes on my ass.

"Wait." I said as I remembered my awful breath. I quickly grabbed my purse and hastily rummaged through it. Thanatos rolled his eyes as I slipped a piece of gum into my mouth. 

I paused. "Uh... Would you like-"

"No." Someone's impatient. I put the bag back down and grabbed my leather jacket hanging on the chair. Just in case I really was on my way to the North Pole.

Thanatos directed me towards the slit in the air. It was still very present and it had grown a few centimeters in length since I'd been inside the bathroom.

Right. Hole. Balcony. Mid-air. Space. Greek god of death.

"So, I just step inside?" I asked, while distrustfully examining the strange phenomenon.

Thanatos pushed a hand against my back and edged me towards the eerie space. I felt like running in the opposite direction.

"You're probably never going to tell me where we're going, are you?" I asked trying to budge against his pressing hand.

"Oh, I will, sweetheart." His tone was amused. I gulped as we neared the black space; "Momentarily..."

With one quick swing of his arm, I was placed firmly in his grasp; his arms crossed around my waist and hips. I blushed at out close proximity, but my embarrassment was short-lived, because the next thing I knew we were flying- no- sky-rocketing through the blackest space I didn't even know existed. 

The millions of silver stars gave us some light, just barely enough for me to see in which direction we were heading in. The hole grew in size and soon enough Thanatos was stepping through it, his arms holding me firmly, like he was scared I would plummet down into the abyss if he loosened his grip by just a bit. 

I let the breath I was holding escape.

Thanatos looked down at me, his lips growing into a wide smile; "I should've done this sooner."

At first, I had no idea what he was talking about, but then I realised that I was clutching onto Death like my life depended on it.

Oh, the irony...

I was clutching onto Thanatos like he was a tree branch and I was seemingly fifty-foot up in the air. He was enjoying this far too much.

This was like the start of a bad porno.

I quickly let go of his shoulders and took a hasty step back, knocking my head against a large metal board.

This is just so typical...

Thanatos' belly laugh was too angelic too be real. I rubbed my head with my one hand and tried to hide my blush with the other by placing it on my cheek. My eyes were fixed on the ground. I spoke up with an annoyed tone; "Oh, shut up."

He didn't. "So innocently adorable, it almost pains my heart to mess you around like this." His smile was rather adorable; it was genuine and his laughter lingered in the air like a sweet song.

If sarcasm ever needed a poster-boy, I think I just found the perfect candidate.

Thanatos touched the area where his heart should be (which I doubtfully think it was) and gave me a mock smile. "Almost."

I didn't hesitate to show him the finger.

Slowly, like a cat, he placed his hand onto my upright finger and pushed it down. His other hand moved to the spot on my head that I'd bumped and he gently pressed against it, rubbing it tenderly with his thumb.

His smirk smoothly just screamed; 'You're my bitch...'

I was fuming on the inside, but I think it was clearly visible on the outside too.

"Now, my dear angel..." His smile was so intoxicating, but at the moment I was too angry to really be hypnotized by it, "Turn around and say, 'Buongiorno, Italia'."

"Pardon me?"

Aurora just has the worst luck, doesn't she? 

Any guesses on who they're about to meet? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 115 45
Aurora, a very innocent and stupid girl. Although she may act like a nerd, look like a nerd, think like a nerd, and other nerdy stuff nerds do... sh...
10.1K 1K 53
**SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** After their defeat by the Collector, and multiple revelations of both family and blood, Jordan is...
249K 10.9K 44
love was never part of the plan. •[A Wattpad Romance, Dangerous Love, Urban Fantasy and YA Fantasy Featured Novel]• COMPLETED Book 1 in the Grey Sa...
385 89 13
By performing the ritual of this legend you will open the Gateway to Pandemonium and if you're lucky, you will come face to face with The Devil himse...