The Chase Begins (Now Publish...

By SandraCorton

They met on a vacation in Hawaii. She was there to try and heal her broken heart while he was trying to escap... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 2

583K 9.2K 1.1K
By SandraCorton

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Chapter 2

Tourina's Revenge, the tiny Italian eatery was full of customers when Brianna finally arrived. She smiled at the rather harassed looking waiter and seated herself at the table where Andy, Leonard and Chase were already munching on breadsticks. She had to sit directly opposite Chase and felt instantly awkward.

"Why are you so late? And still wearing your bloody work clothes." Andy demanded straight off the bat making Brianna stifle a frustrated moan.

"I didn't have time to get changed. One of the parents was running late." Brianna said quickly. "Don't start this argument again Andy, I'm really not in the mood."

"Well stop letting them rule your life and maybe I won't want to argue anymore." Andy snapped.

"What is your problem? I just walked through the door." Brianna felt upset at her best friend’s anger. She didn't understand where it was coming from.

"You want to know what my problem is Brianna?” Andy’s voice rose above the raucous noise of the other patrons.

"Yes but lower your voice, the whole town doesn't need to know." Brianna insisted as she noticed they were attracting attention.

She sent a quick glance over to Chase and felt everything stop around her. He was wearing a baseball cap pulled low over his face but that didn't stop him from sending her a wicked little smile that had her mouth go dry and her heart pound like crazy. His dark blue shirt did nothing to hide his solid muscular frame and Brianna found it hard to focus back on her best friend.

"My problem is that you lied to me." Andy said her voice low and surprisingly hurt.

"About what?" Brianna asked nervously wondering if this was about Chase.

"Hmmm where to start. How about the fact you spent four days with him not just one night. You never told me who you spent that supposed one night with as well." Andy accused pointing her finger fiercely at her friend.

"Oh for goodness sake why would it have mattered?" Brianna asked with a shake of her head.

"Because every damn woman on the planet wants to tap that." Andy's voice rose again as she pointed to Chase. "Including me! Sorry Leo but you know." Andy finished with a shrug at her rather stunned fiancé.

"Shit!" Chase muttered looking down at the floor. This was the last conversation he needed to be hearing right now.

"Don't swear." Brianna told him in a whisper.

"Well thanks for your vote of confidence in me Andy." Leonard said his voice sounding immensely hurt.

"Sweetie that came out all wrong. I love you and I would only want him for one night of dirty, kinky sex I promise." Andy wheedled while Brianna looked away her cheeks flushing. Her friend had never been known for subtlety. She was always blunt and to the point which was sometimes completely mortifying.

"Holy shit!" Chase murmured again and Brianna kicked him under the table. His brown eyes rose to hers in surprise.

"Don't swear." She told him firmly.

"Why not? I think this situation rather calls for it." He said as he glanced over at his still hurt friend.

"I'll do you a deal, we'll have a threesome them." Andy said decisively making Brianna's mouth pop open and completely forget to answer Chase.

"Andy please be quiet." Brianna pleaded as all eyes swivelled to them again.

"Alright deal. Good luck getting Chase to agree with it." At that Leonard sent another smug look to his best friend knowing that Chase would never agree. Not when he was so hung up on Brianna. Andy just rubbed her hands together and stared at Chase who looked awfully uncomfortable.

"No Andrea.” Brianna said sharply and the whole table turned to her.

"Why not Bree? It's not like you have any claim on him." Andy taunted.

"Maybe but I can say no for Chases sake. You know what I did lie to you. I didn't tell you we spent four great days together. I didn't tell you much about that night we spent together either. I didn't tell you I freaked out in the morning and practically ran for the airport. I didn't tell you because it all seemed so unreal, like a deluded daydream of a lonely woman. I felt terrible that I ran off and I'm sorry." The last words Brianna said directly to Chase who managed a small smile.

"You still lied so you're getting the cocoa powder." Andy said abruptly with a vicious little grin making Brianna groan.

"Andy that's what we did when we were kids." Brianna tried to protest.

Andy though had stood up and grabbed her friends arm. She tugged until Brianna gave in and reluctantly followed her into the kitchen. Chase watched them walk away unable to take his eyes from Brianna's nicely rounded backside.

"You need to come clean with me right now before we go in there and save Bree." Leonard said seriously.

"Huh? What?" Chase looked at his normal boisterous friend who now seemed rather intent and stern.

"Bree is a real special woman who has been through hell and back in her life. I need to know you're not going to cut and run on her."

"Is this about that Terrence guy?" Chase asked with a frown.

"She told you about him?" Leonard asked in surprise.

"She mentioned his name once and seemed really sad about it."

"Hmmm I see. So are you in for the long haul here?" Leonard turned serious again.

"I think so." Chase answered more uncertain than he had aimed for.

"You might want to be a bit surer than that. I can tell you now that if you hurt Bree than Andy will kill you. She will happily go to jail for murder to protect Bree from harm." Leonard warned him and Chase's mouth dropped open in shock.

"That is one scary woman you've got there." Chase said with a shake of his head.

"Yep and she's all mine so don't go there." Leonard's voice dropped low and threatening.

"Hey that was her idea not mine." Chase chuckled as a squeal was heard from the kitchen.

"That's our cue; let's go save our women from each other."

Leonard was up and across the room with Chase following closely behind. He entered the kitchen confidently while Chase felt acutely uncomfortable. When he saw the two women it was hard to contain his laughter. Andy had Bree in a head lock while trying to force a spoonful of something into her mouth. Bree was wriggling in a desperate bid to get away but Andy had hold of her tight.

"Take your punishment Brianna." Andy said sharply

"Honey you know you deserve a mouthful of that too." Leonard said calmly and Andy looked up at him crossly.

"Don't you say a word Leo or I will refuse to sleep with you for a week." Andy growled.

"Bree came clean with you so I think it's time you return the favour." Leonard leaned casually against one of the pristine counters while waving to an older woman who was rolling her eyes at Andy and Brianna's silliness.

"I'll still hold you to that 'won't sleep with you for a week' thing." Andy argued while Leonard just laughed.

"Good luck with that love. Now tell her or I will." Leonard's voice went sharp at the end.

A disgruntled Andy let Brianna up but she didn't dare open her mouth to ask anything in case Andy shoved the spoon into her unprotected mouth. Brianna sent a questioning look to her friend whose expression was smothered with guilt.

"Fine." Andy huffed before she marched back and forth across the floor for a moment. "You didn't win that holiday. I paid for it all because you needed to get away from that shitty Terrence. You don't owe me anything for it. I'm just glad you had such a great...."

Andy never got to finish as a spoonful of cocoa was shoved in her mouth. Brianna stormed out of the room as a cloud of chocolate powder puffed from Andy's mouth.

"Shit! Yeah that was a really smart move Leo." Chase heard Andy say sarcastically.

He followed Brianna through the kitchen and out the back door. She stood there almost looking broken and he couldn't bare it. He put his arms around her and for a moment she struggled against him before relaxing into him.

He was surprised when he noticed tears in her eyes. He did not deal with teary females, not now not ever. He couldn't bring himself to let her go though. Instead he wiped the tears gently from her eyes and tucked her closer into his embrace.

"C'mon Bree it's not the end of the world and it’s not like I didn't have the money." Andy shouted as she marched through the kitchen. The back door opened and Andy just stood there stunned. Brianna tried to push out of Chase's hold but he refused to let her.

"Andrea what have you done to upset my little Bree now?" The older woman Chase had noticed before frowned at her daughter through the doorway.

"God Mum I paid for that damn holiday that's all. For shit's sake it's only money who cares?" Andy vented. "I mean bloody hell look what you've got out of it! Only the hottest guy on the flipping planet wants to spend time with you. You got freaking Chase Montgomery!" Andy shouted while waving her arms wildly in the air.

The older woman peered through the doorway more intently. She opened the door and walked straight over to Chase. She reefed off his ball cap and he watched as her mouth dropped open in shock.

"My, my, my." She muttered to herself as she pushed her hair back into her greying bun.

He could see exactly what Andy would look like when she was older. They looked almost identical except for the wrinkles and greying hair. Andy's hazel eyes twinkled in her mother’s face as the woman smiled at him.

"Come back in and eat your dinner my Bree. You can argue about this with Andrea later. She is right; it is only money which is nothing when compared with friendship or love." The older woman said wisely as she opened a hand toward Bree while she handed Chase's ball cap back to him with the other.

"Okay as long as you know I'm mad at her." Brianna answered as she stabbed a finger towards her friend.

"I certainly gathered that." The older woman said with a chuckle.

Chase still wasn't quite sure what had happened but they were all soon back seated around the table together. Except this time awkwardness surrounded them. Chase wasn't sure what to say into the rather empty void as food was served to them all.

"So tell me how you met. I know Bree and she’s not really one to approach other guys." Andy tried to fill the silence while Brianna just glared at her. Chase though has no problem answering, anything to take away the stifled air around the table.

"I saw her across the room reading this book and completely ignoring the whole party atmosphere going on around her. I went over and offered to buy her a drink. She looked up at me, said the strangest thing I've ever heard and went back to reading." Chase smiled at the memory as he looked towards a still disgruntled Brianna.

"What did she say?" Andy asked with a tiny smirk on her face while Brianna tried not to groan.

"She said 'stranger danger so no thanks'." At that Andy laughed as did Leonard and finally Chase. "I was completely stunned. I've never had a woman tell me no ever." At that he reached across the table for Brianna's hand but she pulled it away abruptly.

"Well if you’re all done having a good laugh at me then I'm going home." Brianna said as she went to stand.

"Oh sit back down Bree! Stop being such a drama queen." Andy told her while Brianna narrowed her eyes dangerously.

"Then you stop being so catty." Brianna replied while still on her feet.

"Bree please sit down. Andy behave." Leonard got between both women. "We still haven't talked through what we actually came here to do." His firm voice commanded them and they reluctantly agreed.

"Which is?" Chase asked curiously.

"The wedding idiot. I only have one more question about you and Bree. Answer it and I won't ask anymore." Leonard said seriously while Chase rolled his hand at his friend to continue. "Did you do the dinner date?" Leonard looked at his friend sternly and Brianna was surprised by the slight blush that rose on Chase's cheeks.

"Yes." He answered as he looked across the room away from everyone.

"Did she pass?" Leonard asked while the girls sent them a puzzled look.

"Hell yeah, we didn't even get to dessert. I know she would've eaten that anyway." Chase finished on a mumble.

"You had better tell us what you are talking about." Andy said abruptly her hazel eyes looking fierce making both men flinch.

"My dear friend Chase has a dinner date he uses to test whether the woman he's with is compatible or not." Leonard said while Brianna went pale.

"Our last night." Brianna whispered and Chase nodded his head refusing to look at her. "Well this night certainly has been informative." She said simply before standing up and marching from the room.

"Shit!" Chase went to get up and go after her but a hand on his arm stopped him.

"Sit down Chase." Andy said sharply her fingernails digging into his skin and Chase realised she was angry. "Are you playing with Brianna right now?" Her voice rose to furious heights and Chase had to admit she intimidated him just a little.

"No and I wasn't then either." He answered honestly.

"Good because if you hurt her I will hang you up by your balls for all to see. Do you understand me?" Andy's words came out harsh but Chase believed them.

"Yes now can I go and find her to explain?" He asked seriously.

"She will still be in the car park. Her cars starter motor is shot. Not that she'll let any of us pay to fix it." Andy finished on a grumble. He was gone before Andy could say anything else. "He might actually be good for her." She said approvingly to her husband to be.

"And vice versa." Leonard assured her.

Chase tried to get out the door as quick as he could in the hope nobody would notice him. He got many admiring glances from women but was thankfully able to make it out the door into the cool spring air quite quickly.

He searched the car park but couldn't find her. He looked around everywhere about to admit defeat when he heard her familiar voice. The car had been too old and bomb like to be hers so he had ignored it. His shock was evident when he finally looked in the car window and saw that luscious wave of brown hair and those sad blue green eyes.

"Bree you need to let me explain." Chase said simply causing Brianna to jump and clutch at her chest in shock.

"Golly don't do that!" She shouted as she lowered her head onto the cracked plastic of her steering wheel.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you. Let me give you a lift home and I'll organise someone to pick up your car later." He asked praying she would agree.

"No thank you. Once Betsy gets started she's just fine." Brianna insisted with forced confidence. "C'mon Betsy girl, today is not the day to give up the ghost on me." She pleaded with her car. She turned the key again while nothing but a whining noise came from the depths of the engine. "Fiddlesticks!" She muttered angrily as she pounded her fists on the dash.

"Bree I promise I'll get your car to you safe and sound if you let me give you a lift, please?" He knew she couldn't resist the pleading note in his voice. On their holiday together he had used it to get his way for nearly everything they had done.

"Fine." She muttered furiously as she gathered up her purse and got out of the car. She quickly locked it and let out a sigh, she just wasn't winning tonight. He reached for her arm and she snatched it back from him. "Don't touch me." She said sternly. He knew that would be hard to do but he tried to keep his hands to himself.

He led her to a huge black truck that completely overwhelmed her. Lights flashed and the interior brightened. He went around the passenger side and opened her door. She refused his help instead scrambling into the vehicle on her own. Thank goodness she was still in her work clothes and wearing sneakers.

Chase didn't let the opportunity go to admire her. She was the only woman who hadn't stared aghast or protested that he drove such a working vehicle instead of a sports car like they all expected. She got in, strapped her seatbelt on and turned to glare at his quite obvious leer. He just sent her a hot smile that threatened to melt her insides.

He closed the door and went around to the other side as she took in the new car smell and gleaming dashboard. He hoisted himself inside rather gracefully which Brianna couldn't help but watch. 

"So which way do I need to go?" He asked as the engine rumbled smoothly to life.

She gave him directions and that was all they said as they drove along. When he pulled up outside a rather ramshackle and tiny house he had to hold in his shock. Surely she didn't live here!

They had driven into the heart of the industrial zone where huge wire fences surrounded giant warehouses. Graffiti was smothering many of the building making the neighbourhood look even rougher. He frowned to himself as he got out of his truck and walked around to her side. She had already got the door open and slid out by the time he arrived.

"Thanks for the lift." She said simply as she went to walk away.

"Bree wait you didn't give me a chance to explain." He told her but she just shrugged.

"I'm used to being made a fool of Chase. Don't give it a second thought." She said as she went through her bag for her keys.

"I wasn't trying to make a fool of you I swear." He said honestly as he ducked under her falling and rusty guttering.

"Just go Chase, I don't need to hear it." She waved vaguely towards his truck.

"Brianna." He pleaded but this time it only made her angry.

"I need my car by at least six in the morning." She told him sharply as she finally got the front door opened. She walked inside and slammed it shut behind her.

"Shit!" He uttered as he dropped his head against her door.

"And don't swear!" She called out through the door as the lights went on in her front room.

She heard his car start and drive off a while later. She sighed with relief. It seemed as though everyone had made her the target tonight. She stripped off her clothes angrily and stalked into her tiny shower, hoping to wash her worries away.

Her thoughts kept swirling in her head though. Andy had paid for her trip and never once let on about it. In a way that hurt the most. Andy knew how important truthfulness and loyalty were to Brianna and yet she had still done it. 

The dinner she had thought was so special with Chase now seemed like a tawdry affair. Was he doing it just to get her into his bed? She felt like crying at the same time as throwing something across the room.

Tonight had been a total disaster. The worst thing was she had to face everyone tomorrow to keep organising the wedding she didn't really want to attend anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 275 56
"You're supposed to be my best friend, but all I can think about is kissing you again." TEDDY: I somehow got stuck in the unfortunate "one of the guy...
24.2M 848K 81
The Highest Ranking: #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Feb-18 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Jan-17 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 21...
83K 3.1K 26
"Ashton, I know I'm not the usual type of pretty cheerleader you usually hang out with. I'm not sexy, I'm not attractive, and I'm absolutely no fun...
436K 11.5K 51
Every woman's fantasy is to be married with someone they love someday. Most women are excited and ecstatic when planning their marriage ceremony with...