Gray Wolf Ranch

由 moudenes

The Marshall brothers, four country boys with a passion for hospitality, have finally achieved their dream of... 更多

Chapter 1 - Golf Cart
Chapter 2 - Checking In
Chapter 3 - Tribe Names
Chapter 4 - Dog Walk
Chapter 5 - Clean Slate
Chapter 6 - Farm Help
Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits
Chapter 8 - Entertainment Team
Chapter 9 - Out There
Chapter 10 - Not a Good Day
Chapter 11 - Not a Child
Chapter 12 - Nightmares
Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest
Chapter 14 - Truths
Chapter 15 - Appointments
Chapter 16 - Worries
Chapter 17 - Relief
Chapter 18 - Disappointment
Chapter 19 - Realization
Chapter 20 - Distraction
Chapter 21 - Hair
Chapter 22 - Loss
Chapter 23 - Dreams
Chapter 24 - Trail Ride
Chapter 25 - An Adventure
Chapter 26 - Secrets and Truths
Chapter 28 - Back to Life
Chapter 29 - News
Chapter 30 - Country Boy
Chapter 31 - Wolf
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - Phone
Chapter 34 - Camping
Chapter 35 - Memories
Chapter 36 - Together Again
Chapter 37 - Mingan
Chapter 38 - Moving Out
Chapter 39 - Josh
Chapter 40 - Michelle
Chapter 41 - A Letter
Chapter 42 - Picnic
Chapter 43 - The Opening
Chapter 44 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 45 - Anahu

Chapter 27 - Finding Out

2.6K 162 15
由 moudenes

ROWTAG

The moment I hear the click of Kitchi's door I jump up from the couch. Olivia comes out of his bedroom with a neutral expression as she closes her medical bag.

"Is he okay?" I ask.

"Yes, his vitals are strong, he's just fatigued."

My grandmother enters the apartment with a laundry basket in her arms.

"What happened after I left?" I ask her.

As it's my custom since Kitchi came home, I went to check on him during a break. He grabbed me in a hug the moment I came closer to his bed and seemed short of breath. His heart raced as I asked him a million times what was wrong, but he wouldn't answer me. He felt dizzy, so I made him lay on his bed while I called Olivia. Grandma wasn't in the apartment when I came in and returned just now.

"Is Kitchi okay?" She asks when she sees Olivia then tries to walk past me, but I stand in her way.

"He is, but I found him upset. Do you know what got him like that?"

"More like a who. Promise me you will keep calm after what I have to say."

Olivia stands next to me and places her hand in mine. Her presence grounds me and makes me feel stronger.

"Karen was here."

"Okay," I concentrate on Olivia's hand in mine. "Did she get Kitchi worked up?"

"No, it wasn't like that. Kitchi heard us arguing about the way she treats you all. He found out the truth about the family ties."

My hand abandons Olivia's and I pace the room, not knowing what to think or do. It never crossed my mind that my brothers could find out in other ways.

"He knows that we are not related?" I ask and Grandma nods. "How did he react?"

"He was tense and wanted to tell your brothers. I thought he fell asleep afterwards, and went to do the laundry."

"This is so fucked up," I sit on the couch and rub my face.

"Rowtag, I don't care..." I turn around and see Kit, eyes swollen and bloodshot, standing by the door frame of his bedroom. "She can never break our bond. We will always be brothers. I feel so fucking pissed that she lied to everyone. I only wish you had told me earlier."

"She came into my room at the hospital before Grandma and Grandpa arrived, I think I had just woken up. No 'hello', or 'how are you feeling'. She went straight on to forbid me to tell anyone that she wasn't my mother. She repeated that I should be dead and left. Her words messed me up badly. Eventually my shrink got me to talk about it, but I didn't dare to tell any of you."

"Is that why you never came to live with us again?" Kitchi asks. "Because of her?"

"Dad decided that as a precaution, he didn't want us to have another accident, but I can't say I felt unhappy being away from her."

"This is unbelievable. When all of this is her-"

"-Kitchi, you need to rest." Grandma shakes her head. "I will bring you dinner when it's ready. This is all too much in your condition."

Kitchi nods and walks back into his room, Grandma following him.

"Are you okay?" Olivia asks me as she sits on the couch.

"I will be. If anything, I feel partial relief now that Kitchi knows."

"I'm so proud of you. You managed this situation well," she caresses my cheek.

"To be honest, I'm afraid of Huritt's reaction the most."

"You'll tell him when the time is right. Maybe this is bold from me given the situation, but would you like to stay the night at my house? If your brothers see you in this state, there will be questions."

"What about Kitchi?"

"He will sleep until tomorrow when he gets his evening medication."

"I don't want to impose."

"I'm offering. Make an overnight bag and let me help you just like you have helped me recently."

After I refresh the contents of the bag I used when I slept at the hospital, I find Grandma talking with Olivia in whispers. Both stop at my sight.

"Have a good time at Olivia's," Grandma kisses my cheek. "I know you are both free tomorrow, so don't come home too soon. We'll be all right."

I head outside the house with Olivia and feel relieved when I don't find my brothers in the office and only a few employees rest at the lounge.

"I need to pick up Seth at the club. Here are my car keys and don't even think about driving," she warns me.

I do as instructed and wait inside the car with my eyes closed, concentrating on my breathing pattern to calm myself. I open my eyes when I hear the doors opening.

"Hey, Rowtag! Were you sleeping?"

Seth takes place in the backseat and smiles at me. He looks funny with the recent gaps in his teeth.

"No, just resting my eyes for a bit. Did you have fun today?"

"Yeah, I glued chicken feathers to my drawing. We walked around the ranch and picked stuff from the ground to use. I found the feathers," Seth says as Olivia takes her place in the driver's seat.

"That sounds like fun," I say.

"Are you sad?" Seth asks, concern in his little face.

"Yeah, I am," I say and Olivia looks surprised at my honest admission.

"Don't worry. Mommy will make you feel better. She always does when I'm sad," he says and I smile at his simple solution.

After driving for close to fifteen minutes, we arrive at a white cottage surrounded by colorful flower pots. Olivia parks the car and Seth runs to the post box to pick the mail. She opens the house and invites me in; the place is light, cozy and filled with more potted plants.

"This is a charming house, Olivia."

"Thank you. It's a luxury for us compared with the tiny apartment we had in the city. Seth can now play in the garden and I'm not afraid of him running in front of a car."

Olivia opens a side door next to the kitchen and we walk into a wide porch with a large rustic table and benches with cushions as colorful as the plants around the house.

"We like to eat outside. What would you like me to cook for you?"

I'm surprised by the question. At home, I always eat whatever Huritt cooks.

"I- Uh- Don't know. Seth, can you help me?" I ask and the boy walks towards me. "What is the best thing that your Mom can cook?"

"Everything!" He grins.

"That is not helping me, man. I eat pretty much everything," I say to Olivia. "I'm not picky."

Olivia gives me a light kiss and heads to the kitchen. I feel lost at what to do next. I could offer to help, but I won't be doing her any favors. Seth brings a board game outside and challenges me to play. I have been so busy in the last years that I forgot how much I enjoy simple pleasures like a game night.

"Gentlemen, time to clear up and wash your hands," Olivia says from the kitchen.

I'm glad she interrupted our game as I was feeling embarrassed at my losing streak, plus the scents coming from the kitchen are promising. We do as instructed and come back to food on the table. On my plate, there is a heaping pile of mashed potatoes and big breaded steaks with gravy. I look at Seth's plate, and he has the same amount of food I have.

"Is he going to eat all of that?"

"He is a miniature man and going through a growth spurt, so the answer is yes. He will eat that and then have a bowl of yogurt afterwards," Olivia says while Seth enjoys his food and doesn't even pay attention to us.

I smile remembering how Grandma would tease us, saying that she would have to hide the cows and the pigs from us when we were growing up.

After the lovely meal, we spend the evening chatting while Seth watches TV, and then it's time to go to bed. Seth goes obediently and asks me to read a story for him. Of course, I do. I dreamed a thousand times about doing this with my children. After the story, I kiss his forehead goodnight while his mom watches us from the doorframe, and he gives me a big smile. I head towards the living room, but Olivia holds my hand.

"Come with me, Row," Olivia brings me to a bedroom... Her bedroom.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

97.9K 2.8K 49
(Highest ranking #1 in lust 💗💗💗) A man walked towards my mate as he called out to her. "Who's that" I whispered. "Oh that ..... that would be my h...
27.6K 2.7K 15
This is the second book in the Veronica Marshall Series. The dark path is weighing down on Veronica Marshall as she continues her quest to seek reve...
168K 3.7K 25
When Eira goes to the forest at night, she doesn't expect to meet her mate and be taken against her will. Not wanting to spend the rest of her life l...
2M 82.9K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...