Burned (Hate at First Flight...

By ehl_kayy_writes

Krystal Sanders has only two thoughts on her mind when she flies to New York for her interview for her dream... More

1. The Lambo Article
2. The Arrogant Adonis Hoot
3. The Cancellation
4. Swearing at Starbucks Gets You Glares
5. Holding a Burger Hostage
6. The Mafia Tour Guide
7. Goodbyes and Surprises
8. Dinner with the Demon Spawn
9. Two Can Play The Blackmail Game
10. Golf with Dylan Rush
11. Winner Takes All
12. Voting for Silence
13. Unexpected Reactions
14. The Extended Bathroom Break
15. Making a Deal with the Demon Spawn
16. Dylan Rush's Advice
17. Bittersweet Memories
18. Eavesdroppers and Suspicions
19. Reversed Chances
20. Discovering the Golden Ratio
21. Frost-like Atmosphere
22. Qualifications of a Kiss
23. Athena Burns
24. Slowly Understanding Douglas Burns
25. Breaking Down Walls
26. A Little Too Much Closure
27. Douglas Stanley Burns
28. Confusing Cowardice
29. Never Judge a Person by Their Playlist
30. Alexandra Hunt
31. Crowd Control Duty
33. The Attention Seeking Boy and the Girl with Commitment Issues
34. Finding Out More About the Playboy
35. Hushed Conversations
36. Failed Bravados
37. How to Speak Evan Queens
38. Confessions of a Burger Thief
39. A Ghost of a Smile
40. Surrealism That Leaves One Silent
41. I Fell for the Idiot
42. He's My Century Old Whiskey
43. Memorable Last Words
44. Making Him Faint with An Almost Kiss
45. Falling for the Son of a Diner Owner's Daughter
Epilogue : I'll Always Be Here For You
Bonus Chapter (Douglas' POV)
FROSTED NOW UP!
One-Shot

32. How to Surf, Burns Style.

30.6K 1.4K 54
By ehl_kayy_writes

PLEASE VOTE / COMMENT / FOLLOW

SORRY FOR LATE UPDATE. I DIDN'T KNOW A THING ABOUT SURFING, SO I WAS PUSHING IT BACK.

HOPE YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER :)

XOXO,

LOSALINI

•••||||•••

"What type of board do you want, babe?" the blonde surfer-looking dude, with a solid bronze tan asked after he handed a black wet-suit to the guy he'd been serving.

I was stumped. Realistically, before I'd entered the surf shop, I had no idea whatsoever that there was even more than one type of board. Least of all, did I expect that there were more than two types.

My eyes searched the shop for anything that looked remotely like the type of board that someone like me would use. 

There were many types, in different shapes and designs. Some were longer than others while some were shorter than the rest. Some were thicker than others and some were paper thin. And, I, like any other person that preferred reading books to riding waves didn't know which board was the best for someone who had no experience riding waves.

"Uhmm... Why don't you pick one for me?"

The guy chuckled at my lack of knowledge. "How about this one?" He offered, pulling out a turquoise board that was one of the longest boards in the shop.

"Oka-"

Douglas suddenly appeared from wherever it was that he'd disappeared to. "The peach with rose petals will be better," he said as he pulled out the board that matched his description. "That's too plain, don't you think," his eyes lingered on the necklace the guy had around his neck, "Steve, is it?"

"Uhm..." the guy chuckled nervously as he placed the turquoise board back where he'd gotten it from. "Sure thing." He grabbed the board from Douglas. "Let me wax it for you before you take it."

Douglas just nodded before he walked away, going through some snorkeling gear that was by the umbrella stands on the right.

Still embarrassed after the eavesdropping incident from before where I sounded like a loser that had commitment and boy issues, I chose to go waste my time, playing with the Hawaiian doll that stood by the cashier while I waited for Steve to come back from waxing the board.

The doll bobbled her head at the slightest touch and I watched it with fascination, having not seen one before other than in the movies.

After a couple of minutes, Steve appeared, lugging the board behind him. "Here you go, babe." He smiled as he held it out for me before he looked over to where Douglas stood, looking through some board-shorts. "Your boyfriend is something, isn't he?"

I chuckled at his misunderstanding. "He's not my boyfriend."

"What?"

"He," I nodded at Douglas, "isn't my boyfriend."

Steve looked confused. "But you two came together and he picked a board for you."

"Which doesn't necessarily mean that he's my boyfriend, does it?"

Steve's tanned face reddened a bit. "Uh, yeah, I guess."

"I'm following him for the summer."

Steve looked confused, his eyes darting between Douglas and I. 

"Summer job," I offered as an explanation.

"Well that makes sense. Sorta," He grinned. "Not really, actually."

"Long story."

"Are we done?" Douglas asked as he suddenly stood by my side.

"Yeah," he walked behind the counter and entered something into the computer. "Renting a wet-suit?"

Douglas answered before I could. "Nope."

Steve nodded. "That'll be $20 for the day."

I made to pull out my purse but Douglas had already handed him the money.

Knowing that we'd cause another hassle fighting over who'd pay, I let him, for now. At least until I thought of a way to smoothly pay him back.

I thanked Steve before I grabbed the board.

"Come by whenever you need something beach-related," he offered before he playfully winked at me.

"Thanks. I will," I said before I made to follow Douglas who by now was already halfway down the path leading to the beach. "See ya later."

"Stretch your body," Douglas said ten minutes later when we finally found a spot by the beach that was not empty but reasonably had fewer people that could disturb us.

"Stretch? Why?" I asked him.

"To loosen your body and your muscles," he answered. "What else?"

I nodded sheepishly, accepting his explanation, before I raised my hands and stretched for a couple of minutes. When he finally said that it was enough, I relaxed.

"Place the board on the sand," he instructed.

I placed the board flat on the sand.

"Now shoes off and get on the board."

Without another word, I did what he told me.

"Stand on the board."

I stood on the board, feeling the cool surface of it rub against the soles of my feet. I smiled at the fact that I was standing on a surfboard, something I never dreamed I would do, ever.

"Keep still," Douglas said when I stood shakily on the board. Then he bent down, got on his knees and attach a string that resembled a dog leash to my leg.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I tried to pull my leg out of his grasp.

He pulled my leg back firmly and I felt myself flush at the thought that Douglas was grabbing my leg, a trivial thing but to me it was something worth flushing over. "Attaching the leash to your leg," he looked up at me, "Or do you wanna be paying the fine for losing the board?"

"So we're going into the waves then?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No. First, you need to get down the techniques and learn the do's and don't's of surfing."

"Then why the..." I looked at the leash now attached to my right leg.

"Just for practice so you can get used to doing it every time."

I nodded, understanding what he meant.

"Now, lie down on the board."

I got on my belly and laid down against the board.

"Make sure your body is lined up straight down the middle of the board," Douglas said before I suddenly felt his hand on my thighs pulling me lower.

"What the-" I yelled, feeling less than comfortable with what he was doing.

"Just making sure you're in the right position, Krystal. What do you think I'm doing?"

"A little warning would be good, y'know."

"Next time then," I could hear a smirk gracing his face. "Now practice your paddling motions with both arms to get your muscles working and used to it."

I tried to do so, paddling like what I'd seen people do in movies or in kayak races.

"Good, good," Douglas said after a couple of minutes, at which my pathetic muscles felt like they were burning and would fall of any second. "Now, how about showing me how you'd get up on your board once you're out in sea?"

In arched a brow. "And how would I do that exactly?"

Douglas sighed, running a hand through his hair unnecessarily. "Okay, bring your hands up from paddling and place your hands below your chest, palms on the flat of the board while your fingers curl over the sides of the surfboard. Like this." he placed his board on the sand, next to me, before he laid on it and did exactly what he'd just said. "Now, quickly push your body up with your arms and tuck your feet up and under you. Place one foot where your hands pushed up from and the other at least a shoulder's width behind." He did as he said it and within seconds he was standing on his board.

I nodded, going over his instructions over and over before I finally felt comfortable with it. I placed my hands below my chest, curling my fingers over the sides of the surfboard. I sighed in relief before going over the next lot of instructions. 

Push body up with arms, tuck feet up and under you. One foot where your hands pushed up from and the other at least a shoulder's width behind. Okay, okay. 

That was easier said then done. Like taking something you've read, memorized from a textbook and applying it practically. Sometimes learning and memorizing things didn't prepare you for what lay ahead.

I did everything perfectly, at least until the part where I had to place my feet where they were. As soon as I'd pushed myself up, I tripped and fell. Or at least felt myself on the fast track to meeting the ground.

Until at least I felt someone grab me from behind. Heck, not someone. Even I, as slow and naive as I was, sometimes, knew who'd grabbed me.

"That idiot must've been too busy flirting with you that he forgot to wax the board properly," Douglas muttered close to my ear with a hint of sarcasm.

"What?" I pulled back, feeling my face starting to redden from the close proximity. I needed more space between me and Douglas. I couldn't handle walking around the whole day resembling a red fruit.

Douglas dusted the sand that had gotten onto his shirt off. "Nothing. Anyway, since we don't have any wax right now, I think we should practice with something simpler."

"And you couldn't have taught me this instead?"

He shrugged. "I thought you could handle it. Now, back on your stomach, Sanders..."

"When you're ready, get up to your knees first and then bring up one foot at a time until you are in a standing position. It's slower than the jump up, but it's easier," Douglas said.

I slowly tried to do so, making sure this time I wouldn't fall and have him catch me again.

"Good, good," he said when I'd gotten into a slow standing position. "Now, as soon as you've taken off, keep your knees bent, your arms loose and extended, your feet planted on the board, and your torso leaned forward to lower your center of gravity." He showed me how to do this on his own board. "It depends on you which leg you favor. This one is the one that you place in the front."

I nodded, understanding what he meant. "Right leg then."

He chuckled at something.

"What?"

"You're a goofy foot then."

"A goofy what?"

"A goofy foot. That's what we call people who lead with their right."

I smiled at his words. "Who knew the Douglas Burns could make a joke."

"There's a lot you still have yet to find out about me, Krystal. A whole library worth."

I nodded. "Don't strangers do."

"We're not strangers anymore, Krystal. I just taught you the basics of surfing, didn't I?"

I nodded. "Yeah. But until I can surf, we're still strangers Mr Burns." I smiled at the thought that we were playfully making jokes with each other. "Now what next."

"Now..." He picked up his board. "...we get into the water, Sanders."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 13.3K 36
Have you ever heard of being hired because you were honest? Well, this is a first! Emma: a proud, sarcastic but honest girl who gets hired because s...
23.3K 1.1K 8
DISCRETION SERIES - BOOK 4 (spin-off) " Here you are, gentlemen. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you " God, her voice sounds like s...
415K 9.6K 50
Adelaine Matthews,a 19 year old hardworking girl with a passion for cooking and a dream to own a restaurant loses money as she pays off her mother's...
271K 7.6K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...