The Coffee Date

By JustAJournalist

After the murderous death of her parents, Hazel Daniels has been set on autopilot; living her life as silentl... More

Chapter 2 - Meet Nathan
Chapter 3 - Meet Attitude
Chapter 4 - Meet Company
Chapter 5 - Meet Coffee Dates
Chapter 6 - Meet Partners
Chapter 7 - Meet The Boss
Chapter 8 - Meet Paperwork
Chapter 9 - Meet Evidence
Chapter 10 - Meet Wake Up Call
Chapter 11 - Meet The Parents
Chapter 12 - Meet Clues
Chapter 13 - Meet Roommates
Chapter 14 - Meet The Golden Clue
Chapter 15 - Meet The Boss
Chapter 16 - Meet Relaxation
Chapter 17 - Meet The Proof
Chapter 18 - Meet The Perp
Chapter 19 - Meet The Easy Out
Chapter 20 - Meet The Real Story
Chapter 21 - Meet Stitches
Chapter 22 - Meet Co-Workers
Chapter 23 - Meet Chefs
Chapter 24 - Meet Us
Chapter 25 - Meet Home
Chapter 26 - Meet The Case
Chapter 27 - Meet Arrangements
Chapter 28 - Meet Family
Chapter 29 - Meet Hope
Chapter 30 - Meet Love
Acknowledgments

Chapter 1 - Meet Hazel

1.6K 60 16
By JustAJournalist

Something wet. That's what it was. That's the only way she could describe what was on her face that morning. Bright hazel eyes gradually peeled open only to be meet with bright green along with whiskers, and that irritating, pink, damp nose.

"Lily..." The female grumbled. How long has she had this cat now? A full year? And still the way Lily always seemed to wake her up was by sticking her nose into her cheeks.

The female stretched her arms, sliding her legs out of bed and startling the black feline, causing her to jump with excitement and soar back down onto the hardwood floor. Instinctively when her bare feet hit the cool floor she shivered, making her way towards the bathrobe she kept on the back of her bedroom door. Except, as usual, the door was ajar from Lily attacking it and breezing through like a spy. Same old, same old. The usual routine.

Glancing down to her feet the brunette also snagged her puffy pink slippers and slid them onto her freezing toes. "Gosh, does it always need to be so cold in here in the mornings? Ugh." Really a silly question considering she lived alone. She had complete control over the temperature and yet she always made sure it was cool before she went to bed. A money saver but none-the-less a money saver she didn't need.

Breezing through her small apartment with ease, the brunette stumbled around sleepily before snagging a green ponytail from the dish of them she kept beside her key rack. Gracefully she gathered the tangled mess that she called her hair and threw it on top of her head in a bun; rather the best bun she could in her sluggish state.

Her apartment was rather small, some would even say cozy based on the furniture she had chosen to grace it with. There was her living room; a large red rug with a tiny glass coffee table resting on top with only enough room to hold a coffee mug and plate. The tiny surface was surrounded by a three-person white couch with a matching recliner just off to the left, all facing the slim TV she had owned since high school when her parents gave it to her as her eighteenth birthday present. The set-up was silly really seeing as she never had people over. She never wanted to, even if she had friends to call. Just off to the side were three large windows, all blinds shut and sealed except for one single flap flipped to allow a sliver of light into the room. She could tell her feline companion didn't appreciate the darkness but at least for now that's how she liked it. Dark. Dull. Relaxing. No need to face the outside world. She can stay concealed in her little paradise with only her cat and her computer.

Her kitchen was almost the complete opposite; bright and full of life. The wooden cabinets and counters with white marble tops all fitted little kitchen knick-knacks. Cute oven gloves hung against the walls along the ladles, wooden spoons, pictures of her and her family baking together and brightly coloured and patterned mugs tucked away in the corners where there was not enough room in cupboards to fit them. Her fridge was a mess of magnets, pictures, quotes and poems that she had printed off to display. The little bits of inspiration displaying happy faces and funny sayings always gave her the small boost she needed during the day, although they didn't seem to be working recently. She had debated removing them from time to time as the cheeriness of them only seemed to glum her more, yet she always found a reason to leave them displayed to the world.

Everything in her kitchen, rather in her house in general, was clean and spotless. It was cluttered with little things that she had purchased at flea markets and corner stores but she liked it that way. It may seem messy to anyone who wasn't used to her tactics but to her the home was flawless and as clean as could be. It's how she liked it; busy. Everything was still well dusted and washed, but there was just a lot of things to keep that way. It kept her mind occupied to study all the little things in the room rather than focusing on whatever else her mind wanted to process.

Continuing her daily routine the female started towards the kitchen to grab her cup of coffee. She had made sure to set her coffee maker to automatic, she always filled it with grinds the night before, making the tired and sluggish mornings that much easier.

On her way however, she paused as something on her wooden kitchen table caught her eye. It caught her eye every morning. She glanced around the small surface before her gaze landed against her glasses resting just beside the sheet of paper. Right. She had been reading it before she went to bed the night before. Sliding her lenses comfortably onto her nose, she lifted the paper to her eyes and skimmed the top half of the page once more.

Hazel Daniels, our daughter, is to be granted with half of the money from our estate as the other half will be donated to charity.

Her wrist instinctively flicked the page away to the other end of the surface. She couldn't stand to read it, not again. Her glasses fell off and onto the table with a gentle clatter as her hands lifted to tiredly rub her eyes. Every morning she did this. Every morning she read the same sentence, reacted the same way, and continued on her routine. Today wasn't going to be any different.

As she stood to go and get her joe she wondered why she was so content with the never changing path she was stuck on. Maybe it was because she didn't need to think, her mind was stuck on the automatic loop of what was coming next. Of what game she would play with Lily to keep her occupied this afternoon. Of what TV show she would watch with her classic tuna sandwich at lunch. Her mind was always on auto-pilot and she liked it that way. She didn't need to process anything else. She simply needed to continue flying this plane.

An unsettling click from her right snagged the brunette's attention. The autopilot had clicked off. She set down the red polka dot coffee mug and floated weakly towards her bright red coffee maker, leaning down to examine what had gone wrong.

"Off.." She breathed to herself. Her delicate pale fingers brushed over the switch as she examined the exterior. She only ever used this once a day so it couldn't be broken. She stood tall facing her challenge and lifted the lid slowly. No grinds. No water.

She blinked in surprise and turned away. What had happened? She always filled the coffee pot the night before. Why was today different? Her hazel eyes faded shut as she remembered the night before, replaying the events as if she was rewatching a film. One she had seen too many times.

She pictured herself reaching under the counter, bringing out the large metal tin of grinds and poking her head inside. "Empty." She had grumbled, tossing the tin into the sink to be washed and the recycled. "I'll go get coffee another day." She remembered whispering to herself, and then quickly dismissing the thought as her mind hit autopilot once more.

A groan escaped her pale lips, smacking her cold hand against her heated forehead. Now she would need to take control and steer this plane. Autopilot wouldn't work today. She had pushed this aside so that autopilot would work for her yesterday. Not today.

"Ugh. I'm such an idiot." She groaned, sliding her slippers against the hardwood floor and she started back to her bedroom. Autopilot only ever worked for so long.

There was no way she would be able to successfully do anything today without some sort of caffeine. So, she had two options. Either go to the grocery store and stock up on everything. Or she could go grab a coffee from somewhere quick and then return to her planned our day. She chose the latter.

Her fingers gripped the knob which, when tugged, revealed all of the girl's dresses, skirts and accessories. Her parents would always say that it was a rainbow explosion of fabric, buttons and zippers. They weren't wrong. Hazel loved bright and quirky clothing. It made her feel unique and special, something her parents always had assured her she was, not just because of her taste in fashion. They would always tell her the way she walked and spoke and laughed - really did anything - was unique and added to her character. She missed hearing those reassurances.

With a sad, reminiscing smile the brunette began tugging small articles of clothing out of her mess of a wardrobe. Black flats, white pullover, beige polka dot summer dress, white bow-tie necklace. The usual kind of outfit she would wear; cute and odd. Sliding all of the articles on and checking her hair in the mirror, she slipped on her glasses and did a three-sixty degree spin.

"Good?" She asked herself as she did so. She stared back at herself in the mirror. She didn't need to brush her hair, it looked fine just the way it is. She checked her breath and sputtered in disgust. "Not good." Who knew that one little thing wrong in her routine would require so much work to follow.

Scurrying to the bathroom she brushed her teeth faster than she ever had in her life. After all she just wanted to get this ordeal over with and return back to her normal works. So after adjusting her hair, fixing her glasses and checking her teeth once more she gave a weak smile at her reflection. "Now good."

Whisking through her hallway tinted with the scent of her vanilla perfume she threw her brown purse over her shoulder and snagged her keys from their small rack hanging just beside her door. However, just before the brunette whisked the door open and grew ready to take on the world, she paused. It felt as if this had been the first time she was willing going outside in forever. She would stoke up on groceries the first day of every month and it would last her until a new page on her calendar was able to see the light of day. She didn't go outside if she didn't have to, and only rarely poked her head out of her door to check for mail. She was enclosed, an introvert as many academics would say, and now she was risking it all to step out for what? A cup of coffee?

Her hand rested against the cool metal doorknob, as if screaming for her to turn it and voyage out. Was she ready for this? To give in to the pressure of morning caffeine and break the routine she had so carefully built and formed? The hazel orbs glanced behind her, studying Lily tilting her head in confusion at her mother - so to speak - about to leave her spontaneously. Something inside of her gut churned. She didn't need to do this. She could go back inside and never see the light of day again if she wished. Yet something, something subtle and small, was telling her that getting a cup of coffee somewhere else would be new. Exciting. A break from the ordinary. While that terrified her it also excited her. She could become the girl she was just a few months earlier, skipping down the sidewalks and nodding shyly to strangers who walked on by as to not seem rude. It seemed as if it was a lifetime ago. All because she made the mistake of not getting more coffee. All because she had chosen to break her routine. For a reason? Had her subconscious intended for that to happen? Or was it just her pure laziness pushing her to procrastination?

"Bye Lily." She cooed quietly, whisking open the door and starting outside into her complex's second story hallway.

Thanks to a simple cup of joe, she was off to experience the world again. Whether she had intended to or not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

598K 17.5K 102
"If you want to try again, I've learned a few things since then and now I'm sure... I would make it so, so good for you..." Luke pulls back, a troubl...
571 93 32
Aurora Hart, a skilled but jaded 27-year-old CEO of a renowned gaming company, finds refuge in two things: creating immersive games and drinking in e...
141K 3.8K 72
This story follows 5 siblings living with their aunt and uncle after being abandoned by their parents. Clueless about the real world around them and...
Bloom and Doom By Maria Dean

Mystery / Thriller

8 0 12
In the picturesque seaside village of Llyncroft, nestled amidst rolling hills and lush greenery, Evelyn Hartwell inherits her grandmothers quaint bed...