Blackmailing a Marquess

Da Owl_3030

Lady Elizabeth Kincaid is tired of her same expected routine. With her first season quickly approaching and t... Altro

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five

Chapter One

30.3K 411 64
Da Owl_3030

           For helping me out so much with this story and encouraging me to write it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How peaceful this is, Elizabeth thought, as she lay in the grass at the edge of a pond hidden within her family’s estate. Feeling the cool ground beneath her stomach, chin resting upon the back side of her hand she dipped a dainty finger in and out of the water, watching as the ringlets she created grew from small, to large, to gone; not caring if she dirtied the new day dress she wore, Elizabeth wished for a life as free as the fish she saw coming and going as they pleased. But knew that would never happen.

This was her place; her sanctuary. It was where she would run to get away from the rules and restrictions she was expected to follow being a lady of society. No one ever came here. She sometimes wondered if she was the only one who knew about this place; well, aside from her best friend Camilla Wellington. They had been friends since early childhood. It was with her that Elizabeth discovered this pond.

One day when the two girls decided they weren’t going to attend one of their mothers many get togethers to discuss the latest “on-dit” going around the “tons” gossip mills. The two had slipped out the servant’s entrance and ran. They ran until their lungs burned, and they fell to the ground laughing about how mad their mothers would be when they noticed they were gone. That’s when the girls spotted something reflecting the suns light in the distance. Curiosity took over them and they chose to investigate. Upon finding the small body of water beneath the trees canopy, they decided that this would be their secret place, where they would come to get away.

Elizabeth came here often; no one could find her here. Except Camilla. Many days when Elizabeth would slip away, her mother would send for Camilla to go find her and bring her home, knowing she was the only one who knew where to look. Today was another one of those days. As Elizabeth dipped another finger in the cool water she heard her friend’s footsteps approaching…

“My mother has sent you after me again, I see.” Elizabeth said without turning around.

That she has Lizzy. She is most irritated with how long you’ve been gone this time. Tell me, what has you visiting our little oasis today?” Camilla asked as she sat down next to her friend, reclining on her arms.

“She has.” was all Elizabeth replied in an irritated tone.

“Oh, well that explains it all!” Camilla stated in a much sarcastic voice with a mischievous smile touching the corners of her mouth.

Elizabeth couldn’t help but to chuckle to herself. This dear friend of hers could always put a genuine smile on her face no matter what mood she was in.

She won’t stop going on about the upcoming season and how I am of a marriageable age. That I should be spending more of my time concerning myself with new gowns for the balls I’m to attend, the suitors I will have and the credentials I must look for in my future husband” she said with a hint of disgust.

Yes well that would make me run for the pond as well. I’m glad I still have a couple of years before it’s my turn on the marriage mart.”

 Elizabeth rolled her eyes at the few years left of freedom her friend had to enjoy.

 “But we really must get back, dinner will be served soon and your mother has invited me to stay. You know how I can’t turn down a meal from that amazing cook of yours. I swear one of these days I’m going to steal her away from you Lizzy.”

Camilla and Elizabeth walked back to the manor deep in their own thoughts. Elizabeth’s about how she dreams of the day when something exciting presents itself. Maybe an adventure of some sort. Like the kind she reads about in her father’s library. While Camillas were about the delicious dinner she was about to consume.

 “Your mother does have a point though. You will need to purchase some new gowns whether you want to or not, the way you keep destroying yours” Camilla laughed, interrupting Elizabeth’s thoughts as they walked through the slightly over grown grass at the far end of the field.

Elizabeth looked down at her soiled dress and began picking stray pieces of grass that had weaved itself within the lace of her bodice. “I know Cam. I just can’t seem to give in to the formalities of being a Lady.”

Well, liking it or not, you are the daughter of an Earl and there are specific obligations you must fulfill.”

Elizabeth hated when her friend was right, but there was no denying she was. Elizabeth needed to go shopping for the many invitations that had been piling up. Madam Pierce’s boutique would be a good start. she was one of the “tons” best seamstress and always had the most dazzling materials.

I suppose you're right; what say we visit Bond Street tomorrow to see the latest fashions?” Elizabeth asked.

Why I would like that very much! I shall call on you in the morning. We’ll take my father’s carriage” Camilla stated with enthusiasm peaking behind her eyes.

The girls walked in silence the rest of the way, Elizabeth tilting her head back enjoying the gentle heat of the rays that the setting sun was giving off before it disappeared behind the hills for the night. She wanted more of her life then dinner parties, balls, shopping, running a house hold and entertaining guest and her husband. Not that she didn’t want that life ,she just wanted more to it than that. Most husbands expected only that of their wives. Yet, if she must marry she prayed it would be to a man that would take her along from time to time, who wasn’t opposed to taking leave to a new place that she could experience. A generous husband like that was hard to find. With that thought, Elizabeth decided that she was going to experience an adventure of her own before she became shackled to a man for the rest of her days.

Sitting down to dinner, Camilla rambled on with Elizabeth’s mother about the shopping expedition they were going to take on the marrow and which boutiques they were going to visit. When all of a sudden the doors to the dining hall swung open with a crash as they hit the walls behind them.

 “GREETINGS FAMILY!”  Burst from a man with a smile reaching from ear to ear.

JONATHAN!”   Elizabeth exclaimed standing and running to hug her older brother. “When did you get back?”  She asked

This morning, but I have been stuck at the docks going over the cargo we brought with us.”

Jonathan had been off on one of his many trips to the West Indies, purchasing spices, jewelry and fine silks of beautiful colors. The Indies were one of his many trade routes. He would be gone months at a time and Elizabeth would miss him dearly. Growing up, Jonathan was very close to his little sister and some might say a bit over protective. God forbid one of the many boys in the area were about and request her audience. He followed her everywhere, even introduced his fist to quite a few noses and cheeks when one of the young boys said something inappropriate for a young well bred Lady such as her to hear.

But those days were behind them now. Jonathan grew to an outstanding and very successful young man; not to mention very handsome with the unnaturally black hair and the unique green eyes the Kincaid family was known for. Every Kincaid had a different color green then the other. His were a striking jade that most females got lost in, when his gaze focused upon the lucky lady that had caught his attention it wasn’t uncommon for their breath to become caught in their throat. He had become one of the few men in London that were prized after by all the mamas for their daughters to marry. Needless to say Jonathan stayed away from as many balls and dinner parties as possible; though he would spare time for his beloved little sister no matter what.

Jonathan hugged his sister back with much enthusiasm before walking over to their mother and placing a kiss upon her cheek. “Good evening mother, you are looking youthful as always.”

“Good evening John, I’m glad to see you had a safe trip” His mother replied, pleased to see her son had returned home.

Their mother, Countess Victoria Kincaid, was a proper woman to the letter. Always had her chocolate brown hair perfectly styled without a strand out of place. Her teal green eyes held a much practiced smiled even when in the most cross of moods. She sat with the posture of a queen, and her gowns were never anything other than perfection.

Oh, but I did. I shall tell you all about it later, but right now I would like to enjoy this wonderful meal cook has made and to hear all about what I have missed for the past few months.” Jonathan said as he sat himself down at the long table across from Camilla.

Camilla dear, I must say I don’t remember you being this beautiful before I left; you keep growing prettier and prettier. Soon you’ll have all the men swooning at your feet and I will have yet another young lady to protect from the rakes.”

“Oh John, you’re forever the charming gentleman. And who’s to say I don’t already have a herd of men swooning at my feet? Care to join them?”  She replied as she gave him a well practiced wink.

“My goodness Cam, one day you’re going to get yourself in trouble with that tongue of yours!”  Elizabeth exclaimed laughing at her friend’s blatant flirtation.

No it won’t”, Jonathan stated, “knowing Camilla she would beat the poor fellow senseless with whatever was at hand had he tried anything!”

“That or give him a tongue lashing of a lifetime” Countess Kincaid chimed in.

At that the whole table broke out in laughter on the observations at Camilla expense. Elizabeth even caught a few servants holding back a giggle or two.Normally they would show the upmost restraint when it came to exposing emotion of any sort, but when it was only the family in residence the servants weren’t required to practice such strict teachings. They knew Camilla well since she had all but grown up in the Kincaid house hold and knew that her presence was an exception as well. Being there so much, Jonathan was the older brother she never had. Even though he wasn’t as protective over Camilla as he was Elizabeth, he always held her best interests at heart. There were also quite a few times he chastised young Camilla for behavior unbecoming of a young lady.

The four sat there eating and conversing about everything under the sun for quite a while. Camilla bout how delighted she was to see all the new risqué fashions at Madam Pierce’s she had been hearing so much about on the marrow. Jonathan telling tales of the adventures he had had on this latest voyage and the “gentlemen pirates” they ran into, but luckily for them it was on their way to their destination that they encountered the scoundrels, so all they had aboard the ship were the supplies to last them until they docked, which was only a few days more. Their mother even joined in and went on another of her famous rants about Elizabeth and where she went wrong with her only daughter. How all she wished for was to raise a proper young maiden such as she was raised. During all this Elizabeth sat picking at her food listening to everybody’s excitement regarding what they were discussing and how she had nothing to contribute. Her days were filled with the same routine. Wake up early, be dressed and downstairs to join her mother (and father when he was in residence) for breakfast, piano lessons in the parlor with the overly paid tutor her mother hired, followed by “proper etiquette lessons for young noble ladies” as her mother called it, lunch in the garden if the London weather permitted it, a brisk ride in the field (much to her mother’s dismay) and if she were lucky a quick visit to her pond before being dragged back for dinner.

 Before they knew it deserts had been over with and the four of them gathered in the parlor for some tea for the ladies and some of father’s fine brandy for Jonathan.

Lizzy do play something on the Piano for us. It’s been too long since I heard your splendid playing and Camilla’s lovely voice to accompany it.” Jonathan requested

With that Camilla’s eyes shot daggers at him. Jonathan knew how she hated singing ever since her mother decided that would be what she would practice when she overheard Camilla singing in the bath as a little girl. The girl did have a voice that would rival the angels but she never enjoyed singing for other people. She would sing to herself, her loved horse Ambrose, hell she would even sing to the sky when no one was around. Now Camilla didn’t think she had a horrendous voice or anything of the sort. She just preferred to keep her it to herself. Yet Jonathan knew when she was called on the spot she would not decline. Oh he would definitely get his ears boxed for this, but he had missed the sweet melodic voice of a female all those months at sea.

Elizabeth couldn’t help herself. “Yes Cam, do come sing.” she said knowing full well how her friend felt about it.

Camilla all but stomped her way over to the piano with an expression on her face that said she would get the two back for this.

The two girls started a well-known song and easily joined Elizabeth’s incredible piano skills and Camilla’s heavenly voice with ease. It was so often that the girls were requested to play and sing together at the dinner parties they went to, that they sometimes joked about that being the reason they had been invited.

The Countess and her son sat in the high backed, overstuffed chairs listening to the beautiful music when she turned to him with a loving look in her eye that only a mother could have for her child.

“John dearest, I know I go on and on about your sister and how she must take finding a husband seriously, but there is still the matter that you have yet to find a wife yourself. When your father passes on you will be required to take his place and I would like to see you settled down with a wife and barons of your own by that time. We’re not getting any younger Jonathan and neither are you.”

“Don’t you fret yourself over that matter mother; I do have a special lady in mind that I have been considering offering for her hand.”  He replied as a small twinkle appeared in his eyes.

As the girls came to the end of the song Elizabeth noticed something she wasn’t sure what to make of. She saw her mother and brother talking about something she couldn’t hear over the music but she could see a sparkle in her brother’s eyes that she only noticed one other time.

When they were very little and Jonathan was only fourteen years of age he had become friends with one of the local girls in their small town. She was a pretty little thing with long blonde hair that would always fall across half her face, blocking your view of one of her crystal blue eyes. Jonathan was smitten with her. Sadly she was betrothed from birth to the son of a Viscount a few towns over. He was heartbroken that he would never know what it was like to have his young loved returned from the girl that had stolen his heart. Ever since the day her family moved so she could be closer to her betrothed Jonathan found no interest in any other women unless she had blonde hair and blue eye.

And now tonight she saw that sparkle again. It wasn’t so much the feeling she had when she spotted the sparkle in his eye, but it was what had been causing the twinkle that bothered her. The mere fact of where said twinkle was being directed. At the young golden blonde, blue eyed beauty singing right next to her.

The song came to an end and Jonathan and his mother gave an over exaggerated round of applause.

My girls, you have such wonderful gifts that it brings tears to my eyes.”  Victoria gushed.

Agreed mother!” Jonathan stated as he walked over to them.

I’m glad it pleases you both. It is always a delight to have you join me Cam, and it doesn’t hurt either that the rooms’ eyes aren’t solely on me for once.”  Elizabeth said as she gave her brother a questioning look. To which he blushed and turned the conversation in another direction.

I do believe it’s getting late and if I recall you ladies have quite a day ahead of you tomorrow.”  He said avoiding Lizzy’s suspicious looks.

“OH MY! Look at the time! It is quite late. I really should be getting home before mother starts worrying about me.” Camilla exclaimed gathering her bonnet and gloves.

She bid the Countess goodnight as Elizabeth and Jonathan walked with her to the front doors where her carriage was waiting to take her home.  

I shall see you promptly at 9 O’clock in the morning to go shopping Lizzy” she reminded her friend.

Yes yes, I know and I will be ready, though don’t expect me to be as excited as you” Elizabeth responded with a smile.

Camilla said her Good evenings to the two as she started down the steps to the waiting valet, but not without a backwards glace to Jonathan “You know ‘Lord Jonathan’ I will be the most sought after girl of my season, wouldn’t want you kicking yourself for missing your chance to woo me over.”  She teased and gave another one of her well-practiced winks one last time before stepping into the carriage.

Jonathan laughed while he put his arm around his sister as they walked back inside. Once the doors closed behind them he turned to her with a somewhat serious look on his face.

We need to talk Lizzy” was all he said as he turned on his heal and entered into their fathers study.

- End chapter one –

Thank you so much for reading!  Please comment and let me know what you think!

Continua a leggere