Chapter Four

“Ah Madam Pierce, so good to see you again, tell me do you have the gowns I ordered?” Countess Wellington greeted as she walked through the door to the quaint little shop.

Madam Pierce’s Boutique may be small to society’s standards but that didn’t hinder its business. Madam Pierce was known throughout London as thee modiste to go to purchase the best materials and havea dress or gown made. The woman’s fingers worked magic with a needle and thread.

 The middle aged woman stood up from her tea table to greet her customers, she walked with the grace of nobility over to them. She curtsied as is proper for a woman of her station. Stretching out a thin hand half covered by the burgundy lace from the sleeve of her dress she motioned them in and to have a seat on the settee place below the picture window. Her long black hair was pinned neatly atop her head and her petite glasses so far low on her nose they threatened to fall off of her face completely.

 “Countess Wellington so good to see you again as well. Yes indeed I do have those gowns finished. Are these the young ladies you gave me the measurements for?”

 Elizabeth looked questioningly from Camilla to her mother to the seamstress.

 “Gowns she ordered?” Elizabeth whispered to Camilla. “Did your mother have Madam Pierce design ball gowns for us to wear tonight?”

 Elizabeth watched as Camilla placed a hand to her mouth in order to stifle the giggle that was in jeopardy of escaping.

 “I didn’t tell you because I wanted it to be a surprise. Mother knows your disposition when it comes to shopping, for gowns. So I told her your measurements and she had Madam Pierce here design you one, and one for me as well.”

 Elizabeth was astounded. She didn’t know whether to hug her friend and jump for joy since this would not be a full day of going in and out of shops, or if she should feel a little bit offended that they thought her to be difficult enough to take it upon themselves to purchase for her. She went with the first.

“Camilla, Mrs. Wellington, I don’t know what to say. This is too kind of you. There must be something I may do for you in return for you generosity?”

 “Just enjoy yourself tonight dear, and please if your mama sees a man she would like you to dance with, give the poor chap a fair chance”. Camilla’s mother responded with a sweet smile.

 “Alright, I shall.”

 “Would you ladies like to try on your dresses to make sure they fit properly?”  The Madam asked.

 “Yes, thank you” the girls said simultaneously.

 Madam Pierce brought out two rather large boxes from her back room and placed them on the table in front of the girls. Camilla opened hers first and pulled out a dazzling rose colored ball gown with a powder pink sheer lace overlaying the skirts, the bodice cut in a low V down the mid section with tiny rosettes in vertical line, the sleeves slightly hanging off her shoulders and  a proper cut neck line that wasn’t too revealing.

 Camilla gasped, “My word it is gorgeous!” trying it on she danced out of the fitting area,  “And it fits like a dream!  Thank you mother so very much.” She bent down and placed a kiss on her mother’s cheek.

 “It is your turn Elizabeth” the Countess stated.

 Elizabeth pulled on the white ribbon tied around her box, lifting the lid, she nearly fainted at the sight that was before her. Speechless she fingered the dress lying neatly folded. Inside the box was an ivory ball gown with pearls stitched in a criss crossed pattern laid before her.