Skinny Dipping

By AliciaMKaye

Everyone has a fear. Fear of spiders? Arachnophobia. Fear of small spaces? Claustrophobia. And of course, the... More

Author Note
The Problem of Matthew Silver
Resolutions
The Gala
The Proposition
The Aquatic Centre
The Second Proposition
The Phobia
A Possible Reunion
The Recession
The Gift
The Pool
Dipping
Brainstorming
Everyone Loves Swimming...
Daddy's Little Girl
The Pitch
Rebecca
The Pub
Drinking and Dialling
The Next Day
Beans Cafe
The Set Up
The Misunderstanding
The Campaign
The Truth
The Dress
Going Blonde
Backstage
The Theatre
The Show
Christmas
Brighton
The Party
The Hospital
The Commercial
Dinner
Skinny Dipping
The Date
Client Relationships
Over Advertising
The Wrap Party
Last Chance
Bonus Chapter with Amazon Prime

The Dorchester

11K 603 25
By AliciaMKaye

Thank you for reading. Skinny Dipping is available on Amazon. 

The companion novel Skinny Cappuccino is also available via Amazon stores. 

Chapter 24 Continued

The next day while Jessica led the Brighton filming to complete the 'Skinny Dipping' commercial, Sophie jumped into a taxi to The Dorchester. The conversation with Jessica kept revolving in her head. Something didn't quite make sense. Bradley wasn't the type of boss who bought his staff their favorite perfume.

Think, Sophie, think.

She jumped out of the taxi. There was something in the back of her mind. Something felt unsettling. But what? The doorman practically genuflected as she entered the hotel. The scent of fresh flowers floated around the room, a sickly sweet sent which made her feel even more uneasy. Something is wrong.

The receptionist glided over to her, recognising the awe on her face as she looked at the patterned carpet, the grand sweeping staircase, and the glamorous women wearing jaw-dropping jewels. She was escorted to the main restaurant and introduced to the maître d'.

"I have a reservation under the name of Bradley Clark. Has he arrived yet?"

"Yes. There's a table booked for two." A table for two. When was the last time Bradley had asked her to lunch? Or asked any of his staff to lunch...

"Yes. That's right." Taking a large breath, trying to settle her apprehension, Sophie followed the maître d'.

She was suddenly very nervous, the type of nervousness which formed in her chest and made her legs feel like they wouldn't respond. Why did Bradley want to see her for lunch? Was it really because he thought she did amazing work? Was it really to make amends because he'd thrown her off the pitch for Barney's Chocolate Bars? Would Bradley really ever appreciate her efforts? Her long hours? The way she loved her job?

Sophie was led to a table with a spectacular view overlooking the garden.

Bradley was already seated and smiled upon noticing her. "Sophie, glad you came. I was getting worried."

A different waiter, wearing black and white, appeared almost like an apparition. He pulled a seat out from the table and helped her sit down. Then just as he'd appeared, he disappeared somewhere into the folds of the restaurant, as if by magic.

Sophie settled herself into her seat and then noticed something sitting on the empty plate in front of her: a bag of Chanel, just like Jessica had mentioned. "I wouldn't miss coming to lunch at The Dorchester." She noticed Bradley eyeing her carefully, and he nodded that she should open the bag. A look of amusement flashed across his face as she opened the package up in haste.

"You know this is my favorite perfume," she said, feigning surprise.

"Well I have known you for years—over three years— working at Clarks, isn't it?"

"Yes. That's right," she said, taking the bottle out of the package and sniffing. "Thanks so much for this. Is there some special reason?"

He leaned back in his chair and grinned. "You've worked so hard you see. Today the ad campaign for the Silver account is pretty much completed." Bradley smiled his slow, greasy smile.

"Yes," Sophie started, not quite trusting Bradley's explanation. "Desmond's getting the last lot of footage, and of course then there's the editing left, but otherwise we're done. We've hit a home run, I think. We've billed the client a hell of a lot, but so far the work looks amazing."

"You heard that we didn't get the account for Barney's Chocolate Bars? That fell through. It's really hurt our projections. Clarks' revenue is in a dire situation."

Sophie suddenly felt a stab of discomfort. Why was it now her problem that they hadn't won the account for Barney's Chocolate Bars?

"That's such a shame. I'd have thought it was in the bag."

"Tell me how the swimming lessons are going with Matthew Silver; I saw him in the foyer the other day."

"The lessons are brilliant. Matthew Silver was my teacher, you know. He never pushed me. I've had this phobia of swimming since I was a kid, so he started by tackling the phobia first and simply helping me get into the water. Then we moved onto basic water survival skills. I can swim now; I'm not an Olympic swimmer, but I can swim."

"Excellent." Bradley nodded. Again he gave her an almost shark grin, bearing his pearly white teeth. "Good work, Soph, good work. Wrap party soon then? Where did Jessica arrange it?"

"On a boat. You are coming aren't you? I'm sure you were invited, being our boss and everything," Sophie questioned.

"Yes, I'm coming. Shall we have some champagne?"

A glass of champagne would cost a fortune at The Dorchester, and Sophie eyed the porcelain plate and the silver cutlery.

"Which client does this one get expensed to?" Sophie joked.

"Well." Bradley's gaze was suddenly quite serious. "We've spoken a little about the Silver account."

"No chance." Sophie eyed Bradley carefully. "This is not being billed to my account. You invited me and the subject was clearly Chanel, but I'm guessing we don't have a prospect on that one. Or maybe that's why I'm here," she teased, trying to lighten up the mood.

"I wanted to talk to you about that."

"Bradley!" a voice echoed through the restaurant, high-pitched and familiar. Sophie turned toward the sound, her stomach dropping as she saw a figure striding to the table, a waiter trailing behind.

"Kelly?" Bradley said. His eyes were wide with astonishment. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here more like it? With Sophie?" Kelly's eyes narrowed and her expression was dark. "Sophie, you always say we should work as a team, and then look what you do. You exclude people."

"I didn't think we were excluding you, so to speak, and this meeting doesn't seem to involve the team. Not that I know of..." Sophie said, and then paused, unsure how to continue.

"And you, Bradley, you should have at least let me run ideas by you before you make a decision on which consultant to use." Kelly turned to the waiter who stood politely, watching the exchange with interest. "Well, aren't you going to set another place at this side of the table?"

The waiter jumped to action and disappeared. Kelly produced a sheet of cardboard and clicked her fingers. Another waiter appeared by her side. "Hold this for a few minutes," she instructed. "This could be my big break." She thrust the cardboard into the waiter's hands.

"Kelly, you don't have to do this." Bradley stood from his chair. "Please don't cause a scene."

"I'm not causing a scene. Just hear me out," Kelly insisted, and Bradley slumped back into his chair, a deep frown forming on his face.

A waiter filled Sophie's glass of champagne and then turned to Kelly. "Shall I bring another glass for the madame? Will you be joining the celebration?"

"Yes." Kelly's head darted between the pair, and Sophie gulped down her champagne.

"So, did you pitch yet?" Kelly demanded, her green eyes looking at Bradley and then at Sophie for confirmation. Sophie suddenly felt confused. What was Kelly on about?

"Not exactly." Bradley's voice was smooth.

"Keep holding that cardboard," Kelly ordered the waiter, and then she picked up a knife, using it as a pointer. "These are some quick ideas I sketched up on Chanel, as I'm not privy to what they have asked for as a potential client. However, I've worked on it all morning, since I overheard Jessica making arrangements for a Chanel meeting between the two of you. I can't believe you wouldn't think I might be interested. So anyway, I've reviewed each product line. I'm presuming it's makeup or perfume?"

"Shouldn't you be working on...something else? One of your own projects?" Sophie muttered, looking at Bradley in bewilderment, not knowing what to do.

"Okay, my perfume tag lines are like so..."

Sophie felt her body stiffen, rigid with anxiety as she listened to Kelly. Kelly the rattlesnake who'd strangle her if she could. They'd never work as a team. There really wasn't room at Clarks for both of them. There just wasn't enough work. She looked at Kelly, who smiled brightly like a door-to-door salesman.

Bradley didn't try to stop her, nodding his head politely. "You're such a hard worker," he commented. "I like the line you said about the 'power in a flower'. Maybe work to develop that idea a little more."

Sophie felt irritation crawl up her back.

"Great. So maybe Sophie and I could work on this pitch together? What are they looking for? Magazine? Television? The works? What type of advertising campaign? Will one of you start speaking? I need to know."

"There's no account, no client, no pitch. Jessica merely typed the word 'Chanel' into the subject box because Bradley gave me a bottle as a gift for all my hard work. It was a reminder for Jessica, a mistake."

"But..."

"I think he wants to make amends since he kicked me off the account for Barney's Chocolate Bars."

"Is that true?" Kelly hissed. "I worked extremely hard on that account, very hard indeed."

"But you didn't win the account." Bradley sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "I'm starving," he said, ignoring the veins protruding out of Kelly's neck. A waiter brought forward three menus. "Food seems like a jolly good idea," Bradley continued.

Kelly couldn't seem to comprehend what was going on, and she almost fell into her seat. "What? That's it? That's all you're going to say?" Kelly asked, looking quite dizzy.

"Kelly, there's no account. There is no Chanel account. She's right. The perfume is a gift for Sophie."

"Are you sleeping together?" Kelly demanded.

Bradley shook his head furiously. "No. We're not together, or sleeping together, or anything."

"Then why are you at the Dorchester with Sophie? We're in a recession, remember? Clarks is barely afloat, or so you keep saying, and you've given her a bottle of Chanel. It doesn't make sense." Kelly turned to look at Sophie.

Sophie nodded. At least the two of them were on the same page on that. "I agree. It doesn't make sense." Sophie's feeling of unease returned. None of this scene made sense.

Kelly flashed a smug smile. "It's so bloody expensive here. Oh that's right," she said slowly. "This is the place you go for celebrations or commiserations..." Kelly froze and stopped talking. She eyed the Chanel packet and quickly picked up the Dorchester menu.

Comprehension washed over Sophie. This wasn't a meeting to thank her for her hard work. "I remember," Sophie said slowly. "The Dorchester is where you celebrate something or..." She couldn't finish the sentence.

"Is Sophie getting a promotion?" Kelly asked in the smallest voice. "I mean just because Barney's Chocolate Bars isn't quite happening this month? Is Sophie getting the promotion?"

Bradley scratched the bottom of his chin and showed a gleaming, white-toothed smile. "I haven't been entirely truthful," Bradley started, and then fiddled with the napkin on his lap.

"You don't say," both girls said in unison, and then looked at each other. They were suddenly on the same side.

"Maybe it's good that you're both here. I was going to chat with each of you separately. I have something to talk to you both about."

---

For those of you who love the work, Skinny Dipping is available on Amazon. The companion novel Skinny Cappuccino is also available on Amazon. 

Some people have mentioned / PM'd me that they can't buy my book and that's totally fine! I feel truly blessed by people simply reading here on Wattpad. If you have time to pop past Goodreads / Amazon I'd be honoured by any review as it helps other people find out about the book!

But what I'm most grateful for is all of you reading on Wattpad today! Thank you.  All your votes, comments and follows have helped the visibility on Wattpad :-) So thank you for voting & commenting!!!  

Huge hugs. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204 19 15
An orphaned student, an unexplained expulsion and a mysterious smiling boy... Sophie Dayton had long come to terms with the death of her parents. Hav...
69.5K 4.7K 42
Joanna Brooks had her life all planned. She'd have graduated in time, got a great job, had a successful career. In the middle there would have been a...
42K 4.5K 25
"I'm loving this! I find myself smiling and laughing at their interactions!" - amberwood676 After working on a cruise ship for four years, Ty thinks...
237K 12K 28
Cover by @AndiApplexoxo ****MATURE CONTENT IN BOOK**** ****YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**** Her world is dark. His is bright. She is like a ray of sunshine...