Skinny Dipping

By AliciaMKaye

Everyone has a fear. Fear of spiders? Arachnophobia. Fear of small spaces? Claustrophobia. And of course, the... More

Author Note
The Problem of Matthew Silver
Resolutions
The Gala
The Proposition
The Aquatic Centre
The Second Proposition
The Phobia
A Possible Reunion
The Recession
The Gift
The Pool
Dipping
Brainstorming
Everyone Loves Swimming...
Daddy's Little Girl
The Pitch
Rebecca
The Pub
Drinking and Dialling
The Next Day
Beans Cafe
The Set Up
The Misunderstanding
The Campaign
The Truth
The Dress
Backstage
The Theatre
The Show
Christmas
Brighton
The Party
The Hospital
The Commercial
Dinner
Skinny Dipping
The Date
Client Relationships
The Dorchester
Over Advertising
The Wrap Party
Last Chance
Bonus Chapter with Amazon Prime

Going Blonde

11.3K 610 27
By AliciaMKaye

Thanks for reading everyone.

You can buy this book SKINNY DIPPING and the sequel SKINNY CAPPUCCINO on Amazon.

Chapter 16 Continued

Sophie ran to the tube station, darting through the heavy traffic of Highbury. She glanced at her watch; time was of the essence. Then a force jolted her to a stop, pulling her shoulder back. Sophie whirled round, clenching her fists. A fairy floss dress thrust at her face. Sophie stepped back with caution as the coat hanger almost poked her in the nose.

"You forgot it. You can't be late tonight, and I know how caught up you get."

Sophie grappled to hold the garment steady, away from her body. Peeking over the ruffles, Carol stood in her bright pink pig slippers, a silk pink nightgown wrapped round her shoulders and last night's mascara smudged over her face. A glow of triumph exuded from her face, but her grin slowly faded, as she tugged a wisp of Sophie's carrot hair from under the baseball cap.

"Oh Jeeeeezzzee," Carol hissed.

Sophie shrugged Carol's hand away. "It's fine. What are you doing awake? I heard you come home after four." Sophie noticed circles under her friend's eyes and wondered whether Carol had gone to visit Josh, or whether something urgent had come up at the theatre.

"Oh Soph, I had no idea it would turn orange." Guilt spread across her friend's face. "Keep the dress. Please keep it."

"No. It's fine."

"What are you going to do? Did you want me to dye it again?"

"No, no, I've got a plan. Why are you awake so early, running around the street like this?" Sophie indicated the dressing gown, noting that the silk hung only to her mid-thigh.

"What's wrong with this? No one cares about me. I live in London, millions of people come to this tube station every day." Carol put her hand on her hip, tapping her slippers on the pavement, the fluffy, pink pig's head nodding in agreement as Carol's foot went up and down. "Besides, you're the one in my cap and sunglasses." It was true. Sophie had borrowed one of Carol's many hats – a black baseball cap – the most understated one in Carol's collection.

"Well, can I borrow it?" Sophie shifted the dark sunglasses over her face feeling somewhat like a celebrity hiding from the masses, large oval circles covering half her face, lenses coming down to the middle of her cheeks.

"'Course you can borrow them. I think the glasses look better on you anyway."

"Thanks." Sophie supposed that was a compliment. She wrinkled her nose. The circular, goggled frames, although fashionable, made her feel like a fly. But if she took her cap off and left the sunglasses on, she supposed she'd look like a bee. It was a pity it wasn't closer to Halloween, as she had the perfect headgear. At least no one would recognise her.

"Why didn't you tell me? You should have rung or texted. I could have asked some of my friends to come over after the show and help."

"I'm going to my hairdresser, she'll sort me out."

"Do you have an appointment?"

Sophie shifted on her feet, thanking the shade of the lenses, almost black, to hide her expression. "No." She hoped her hairdresser could help her, but it had been too late to make an appointment last night.

"What if you can't get one?"

"Someone will do it."

"You're not going to race into work are you? This is an emergency; you've got a date tonight."

"It's not a date. I'm considering cancelling anyway, if I can't fix this." Sophie tucked a wisp of stray hair back into her cap.

"You can't cancel."

"Why not?" Of course she could cancel. This was a disaster.

A sparkle flashed across Carol's face, her lips twitched, slowly extended from ear to ear. "That's why I raced out to tell you." Carol swept up the ends of her dressing gown into the tips of her fingers with a graceful motion, and bent into a deep curtsey.

"What is it?"

Carol leapt and twirled, pig-slippered, she performed a pirouette on the sidewalk without a care in the world, even when tube passengers stopped and stared. Sophie was waiting for someone to throw a coin in her direction.

"What is it?" Sophie pulled her hand to her chest, her heart beat rapidly.

"You are looking at...." Carol paused for effect.

"What? Tell me, damn it."

Carol's voice came out dramatically, loudly, like she was centre stage at the theatre. "For one night only, you're looking at the Swan Queen! You'll even get a chance to see me! You have to come tonight. You have to!"

"Oh my God! That's amazing!" Sophie shrieked, leaning over to hug Carol. She pulled back and stared into her friend's face. "How did this happen?"

"The lead is sick! Frightfully ill, the doctor says – she hasn't been eating, mind you, but we won't tell the doctor that. You know how dancers get when they're in the spotlight. Anyway, she collapsed – that's why I had to go in last night, perfect all the moves because I'm front and centre tonight. I rehearsed, dancing my little butt off for hours last night, making sure that I've got all the moves down."

"I don't want you to get sick too. So go home and rest before the performance."

"I'm too excited to rest. Can I help you at all?"

Sophie frowned, realising the dark circles were larger than she'd seen before on her friend. Carol always did this, hyped herself up when she got over excited. She took her friend's hands, patted them gently. "Run yourself a warm bath, I have some salts in my room. You need to calm down, get some sleep, so you can do your best tonight. Don't you worry about me, I'll be fine. Matthew and I will see you tonight. Good luck."

"Don't say that. It's bad luck."

"What am I supposed to say? Break a leg? Not very good for a dancer is it?"

"Well 'break a leg' is the act, one foot behind the other." Carol bowed down. "Get it? It's an archaic expression for bowing or curtseying. But if you want, say 'merde.' That's what we all say; it's French."

Sophie scratched her head. "Is that the right slang?" Sophie asked, her brain working in overdrive. "I've heard a different meaning for that word."

"No, no, it's French for 'break a leg'. We all use it. I'm more than just a pretty face." Carol leapt in the air, floating on her personal high. "Ciao, ciao." She waved, dashing across the hectic road.

Sophie frowned. The only French translation she knew for merde was a profanity, a curse uttered more likely when a dancer broke their own leg. Sophie sighed, she'd probably misheard. It wasn't like she was fluent in French. Besides, Sophie probably had had about as much sleep as her friend, worrying about her hair. Who cared if the ballet dancers were shouting 'shit' for encouragement rather than 'good-luck'?

***

Sophie stared at the receptionist, her voice shaking. "What do you mean she's not in? She's always in." The girl stood behind the reception counter of the hairdressing salon. Thick tiger stripes coloured her brown hair, creating an alternate, edgy look. The girl shook her head, widening her innocent eyes. "She's just not in. She's sick today, I'm afraid. You're just too early on a Friday morning. We could do something with a Senior Stylist later this afternoon." The girl ran her perfectly manicured nail down her notepad. "Around four o'clock we have space. Or you've got me? I'm free right now. I could help." The girl moved the broom awkwardly from the reception area. She'd been sweeping up cut hair. "Why don't you let me see?" The girl reached over and took the cap from Sophie's head.

The girl fondled a strand of hair. "Do you think you can fix it?" Sophie asked and her chest tightened.

The girl nodded, her head bobbing up and down slowly. "I'm only an apprentice. But I can fix it." The girl's voice was strong, unwavering, and confident.

How many people, Sophie wondered, came into the hairdresser to get a colour correction? How much experience would an apprentice have with colour correction?

Sophie groaned, shutting her eyes. She might not make Carol's show if she waited for an appointment with a Senior Stylist. "I've got to go to work," Sophie said. "I'd better get it fixed now." She followed the apprentice to a chair inside the salon.

She sat down, examining the hairdresser's reflection in the mirror as she brought over a colour chart and began matching the strands of carrot. This could possibly be an even bigger mistake.

"So you wanted blonde, right?"

"That was the idea."

"I won't be able to take you too light."

"Okay." Sophie nodded and furrowed her brow as she watched the girl mixing the dye into a bowl. What more could possibly go wrong? Surely there wouldn't be much to it – a colour chart, chemicals – hairdressing wasn't rocket science was it? Although, she'd gotten it wrong.

Hours later, she ran a hand through the finished hair. It looked natural, like she'd been visiting the beach every weekend for the past decade. She just needed the tan to go along with it. "You're going to need some new makeup. Some softer colours, otherwise you'll feel washed out." The apprentice lifted a strand of hair. "And you know it's going to break. The strands are damaged from so much processing. I would recommend I cut a bit of it while we're here."

Sophie shrugged looking at her wrist watch. "Do we have time?"

"Don't you want to look fabulous for Carol's performance?" The girl had been so easy to talk to. Sophie had found herself telling her about Derek, Bradley, Kelly and even the possible – yet unlikely – date with Matthew. What a hairdresser!

Sophie nodded. "Let's get you a new look." The apprentice said, reaching for the scissors.

---

Thanks so much for reading my novel Skinny Dipping.

I am posting one chapter per week, but there are 44 parts, so this may take a while. It you just can't wait, you can buy the complete book and the continuation of the SKINNY SAGAS on Amazon.

You can follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page.

Thanks for reading! You guys all rock! xxx

***If you like Skinny Dipping, please don't forget to vote or follow ***

Loads of love your way! xoxo Alicia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 270 42
*A YouTube Love Story Part 3* Sophie is having a melt down. And it is epic. Lacey doesn't know what to do and Travis is off somewhere trying to find...
6.1K 154 50
After 3 long, excruciating years of living in Portland, Isabelle has finally decided to move back home to Florida for one last summer of fun. One las...
10.3K 569 23
Catherine was about to say something, but the office door flew open. I let out a breath of relief. Grabbing Daphne's arm, I led us towards the op...
46.3K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...