The Chase Begins (Now Publish...

By SandraCorton

They met on a vacation in Hawaii. She was there to try and heal her broken heart while he was trying to escap... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Prologue

3.9M 14.5K 2.9K
By SandraCorton

This story has now been published! At the moment it is available digitally through Amazon, Smashwords, Kobo, Scribd, iBooks, and Barnes and noble. The two bonus chapters that used to be on here are now included in the published version as well as the additional chapter that I wrote for the start of the story.

Copyright © 2013 by Sandra Corton

ISBN: 978-0-9943930-5-0

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki

*please note this story is only edited by myself. I try my best but I know there are mistakes*

I'd like to remind everyone that this is an adult romance story with mature content.

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Prologue

Goodness, how did any woman resist this man? For the last time, Brianna Morgan wondered how she could tell him no. He always managed to persuade her. Whether it was as simple as being taken to dinner, or as complicated as going exploring a volcano.

Maybe just once Bree, one side of her brain tried to convince her, while the other screamed at her to get away from the man. Didn't she learn anything from Terrence? Men that were too good looking always had a nasty bite at the end.

He had seemed so nice to her over the last few days. He took her sightseeing to places that she had never thought of, and honestly couldn't afford to go anywhere near. He pampered her, taking her out for meals, while he refused to let her pay, which she was more than grateful for. He hadn't once pushed her beyond anything that she wasn't quite ready or willing to give him.

She was supposed to be here mending a broken heart. He was a fine way to go about it; her brain reminded her once again, which only made her growl internally. You're going home tomorrow why not go for it! No, she screamed in her mind. The last thing she needed was another Terrence reminder in her world.

Terrence with his flowing raven hair and stunning grey eyes. His tall, svelte body that filled out a suit nicely, and that handsome face that used to astound her. That was until the day she found him in their bed with his secretary. How insane was that? She had thought that was only something that belonged in the movies, until it happened to her.

It had destroyed her. The fact that he showed no remorse had struck her hard. When he invited her to join them she had felt horrible, and it still had her shivering with disgust. Ever since that day, nothing had gone right in her life. Now six months later, edging closer to thirty, she felt alone, stupid, broke, and depressed.

Why shouldn't she have a little fling? She was on holiday, then she would never have to see him again, and she knew that he would be so worth it. Her brain once again tried to encourage her. She just let out a groan, and put her head in her hands.

She had to admit to herself that life had started looking up when she had won this holiday. As a childcare worker, she didn't earn the greatest amount, but the love she received from the children made everything better.

She could barely afford the repayments on her mortgage and the loan on her ancient car. Every fortnight she had managed to scrape through. To win this all expenses paid trip to Hawaii had just brightened her day. She could finally use her accumulated annual leave to go on a really holiday.

Meeting Chase Montgomery the first night she arrived seemed like a miracle, even when she had rejected him outright. She still found it hard to believe that a man like him had propositioned her at all. He had the whole bar and restaurant full of women staring at him with greedy eyes, but he had chosen her.

She forced herself to stand up and look in the mirror. Staring back, she noticed a woman that was getting her first wrinkle, in her brow of all places. She groaned, as she continued her investigation. Her hair was brown, shoulder length and wavy. She had a small face with a straight nose, high cheekbones that she had always liked, and a small rather jutting chin.

Her eyes were by far her best feature. Sometimes they were green and depending on her mood, sometimes they went a bright vivid blue. Her best friend had always said that her eyes were a bit like a mood ring.

She was of moderate height and a bit full in the hips department, but she had always liked her gentle curves. She knew she didn't have the perfect looks, but she was happy with who she was now.

A knock on the door had her jumping, and clutching a hand to her heart. She let out a squeak, as her heartbeat continued to soar with knowing who was on the other side. Should she spend the night with him? Her mind dangled the carrot, but she quickly squashed it back down.

"Anna?" his rich baritone engulfed her.

Her heart sank, knowing that she couldn't sleep with someone who she didn't even give her whole name too. She had to stifle a groan, as she thoroughly considered the situation.

"Bother! Uh, yeah, coming, Chase, just give me a moment." She looked around the room, and hurriedly threw her stuff into her suitcase with no clue as to why.

Good plan, just in case! Argh, just in case of what, she wanted to scream at her own daftness. She dropped her head against the door for the briefest moment, before straightening back up. She quickly looked down at her plain black dress and flats. It was the nicest dress she owned, but it seemed rather ordinary. She shrugged, put a smile on her face, and opened the door.

Oh, Lord, why did he have to look like a cool drink of water and she was desperate to quench her thirst? He leaned casually against the doorframe with a broad smile on his face. Ruggedly handsome was what Brianna liked to think of him as. He was tall and broad with golden, sun kissed skin.

His chest was something she could have stared at for days. It was sculpted, rock hard and mouth-watering temptation, even covered with material. She remembered exactly how spectacular his chest was from every time they were at the pool, the beach, and even when he took her snorkelling.

His arms practically bulged out of the button down shirt that he was wearing, and Brianna found it hard to keep her hands to herself. She finally raised her gaze to his face to find the tiniest hint of a smirk there.

He was better looking than Terrence was. In fact, he was more handsome than any man that she had ever seen. From his chiselled jaw with a slight shade of stubble to those wicked brown eyes, he was sin that called to her enticingly. His shaggy blonde mane of hair only added to his allure, with those lips so full and dusky pink just daring her to lean up and kiss them.

"You know that you're not quite dressed for a luau," he said, while he brushed her hair off her cheek.

"I didn't know we were going to one," she finally managed to answer, unable to stop herself from leaning into his caress.

"That's fine; I had something else planned anyway." He murmured, as he moved closer to her.

"Bugger!" She said into the room, as his sudden closeness startled her. She could feel the rumble of his chest with laughter, while drawing her ever closer to him.

"I will never get used to that, but it sure keeps me on my toes."

At that, he tipped her chin up, and speared her with a heated look. She gasped, as a tight pleasure curled in her belly. He lowered his mouth to hers and kissed her lightly on the lips. She felt her brain leaving, as she floated away on the heavenly taste of his lips on hers. His stubble rubbing against her skin caused a riot of sensations that had warmth gushing through her.

"Sorry, Anna, I just had to do that before you left tomorrow. I just had to make us real to me," his words reverberated down her spine, and she wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor. "Now before I get too distracted, we had better go." Chase gestured to the open door, while forcing his eyes away from her.

From the first moment he met her, he felt intrigued. He couldn't explain exactly what captivated him about her, but he knew that she was special. She could make things real for him.

Of all the beautiful women in their tiniest bikinis over the last couple of days, none of them could distract him from this woman's presence. Her shyness that turned bold in a surprising instant. Her blushes when she blurted out something that she didn't want him to hear.

Then there was her joy over the tiniest shell on the beach, rather than a diamond in a store. Her unique and unusual facets, kept his attention for every moment they spent together. His favourite things were the strange words that she would use to replace curse words. That kept him grinning every second of the last four days.

"Where are we going?" Brianna asked curiously, as he led her towards the lift.

"If you don't think it's too presumptuous, I ordered something in my rooms." He said calmly, while waiting for her reaction.

He was not disappointed when her eyes almost bugged out of her head, and she looked like she was choking. He knew that she was more of an innocent than any woman that he had ever gone out with before, and he couldn't help teasing her sometimes, just to see her reaction. She stopped still in the middle of the hallway, and stared at him, while her mouth flopped open.

"Are you over being shocked yet?" he asked with a chuckle. When her hand came out to slap him on the chest, he knew that she was just fine. "I just wanted to spend some time with you before you leave tomorrow. Unless I can convince you to stay?" he pleaded the last part, wanting more than anything for her to stay a few more days, until he was due to leave.

"No, I have to get back to work," she answered simply with a shake of her head.

"Fine, will you at least let me drop you off at the airport tomorrow?" He asked with a sigh.

"We'll see." She shrugged, before continuing to walk towards the lifts.

"But you are agreeing to dinner with me?" He waggled his eyebrows, and she let out an exaggerated sigh.

"Of course I am. I can't say no to everything, now can I?" She said in exasperation, as she tried to get her erratic breathing under control. He was dangerous to her senses when he leaned in closer to her.

"No, you can't." He whispered, his voice dropping down low, which sent a shiver of anticipation along Brianna's spine.

He reached past her to press the button for the lift, before using that arm to wrap around her waist and pull her against him. He swivelled her in his arms, so that she faced him.

"I'm becoming quite addicted to you, Anna." He leaned down to whisper in her ear. Brianna felt herself melting against him, he was just so hard to resist. It took all her willpower to put some space between them.

"I'm going home tomorrow." She reminded him of the previous conversation.

He just groaned, and laid one of the hottest kisses on her lips that she had had in her life. He had her pushed against the wall, with his body pressed into hers and she only wanted more. His lips crushed against hers, claiming her, taking possession of her very being. She rose onto her tiptoes to reach him better, as she thrust her fingers into his soft, pliable hair.

The ping of the lift arriving was the only thing that brought her senses back to her. She broke their kiss, and looked up into brown eyes that caught on fire with a blazing heat. A gasp escaped her, as the lift doors opened. An elderly couple stepped back to let them on, while they smiled knowingly at them.

Chase ushered her into the lift, as he turned her back around, but gathered her close into his embrace. She was surprised to feel a bulge pressed into the small of her back. Terrence had always said that she couldn't turn him on, which was why he had gone looking elsewhere.

By the panting of Chase's breath on her neck and his hardness pressing against her still, it was obvious that he was having trouble controlling himself, around her of all people. The ding of the lift stopping, and the elderly couple walking off, only seemed to restart his urges.

"God, Anna, it's insane that I want you this much." He murmured in her ear, before he trailed kisses down her throat. Brianna was lost in his sensuous embrace, so when the lift pinged again, she felt startled and moved away from him.

"Chase, I... um..." She trailed off and bit down on her lip. What could she say to the hottest kisses that she had ever had?

"Damn, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get carried away." He muttered softly, as he gestured for her to leave the lift towards the only door in front of them.

White with gold edges made even the door look intimidating. She realised that she was in the penthouse suite. If even the foyer leading to the door had a plush sofa, a table complete with fresh flowers, and a mirror provided, she could only wonder at what was behind the door. Her only question was did she really want to find out?

He looked at her, his eyes intense with passion, but also uncertainty. He turned back to the door, which he opened with a flourish, before offering her an arm to lead her inside.

With her eyes wide with amazement, she stepped inside the suite. Without even looking at the furnishings, she went straight to the large glass sliding door that overlooked the perpetually rolling and grumbling waves of the ocean.

Her room was on the bottom floor with only a view of the pool, which was nothing when compare to the oceans grandeur. She let out a sigh, knowing that such luxury would never surround her again. She decided in that moment that she would relish every second that she was here.

"It's so beautiful," she said softly.

"Yes, just like you," he murmured, as he approached her.

"Can I go out?" she gestured to the private balcony.

"Not just yet," he whispered, as he ran his fingers down her bare arm. "Here, my sweet girl."

He handed her a half-full glass of rich red wine. She took a sip, and let the warmth slide down her throat smoothly. She felt herself loosen up internally with just that one sip. She had never been much of a drinker, but she appreciated the fruity hint, and the subtle richness if the wine.

"I, uh, don't really drink." Brianna said to the glass wall in front of her.

"I know that. The first night I met you all you drank was orange juice the whole night." He said softly.

Yes, because I needed my wits about me not to succumb to your charms, she thought internally. She smiled, as she recalled him pacing over to her rather arrogantly and asking to buy her a drink. She had refused, but it was hard to take her eyes from him. His full lips had entranced her when he smiled. She'd been captured by the way that smile had travelled straight to his eyes, as they had gleamed at her.

"Then why this?" She flicked a fingernail against the glass, which rang out like a bell.

"You seemed a bit tense. Plus, it is one of my favourites." He replied, as he swirled the liquid in his glass, before taking a sip himself.

"You do know that I get sleepy if I drink, right? Are you sure that you want to be talking to me this evening or letting me sleep?" She asked cheekily, and instantly regretted it when his eyes turned fiery.

"I had better things in mind than just talking." His husky words drifted over her.

Brianna closed her eyes against the onslaught this man brought to her senses. Her whole body clenched with just wondering where tonight could lead. He surprised her by running his cool glass along the inside of her arm. She shivered at the sensuous feel, as his other hand ran into her hair.

He tilted her head away from him, baring her neck for his ministrations. He left a trail of bold kisses across her exquisitely sensitive flesh, making sure to scrape his stubble against her. She gulped in a breath and moved her head further to the side. A chuckle escaped him, and travelled across her skin like a caress.

"Sir, everything is ready." A calm male voice intruded, and Brianna moved away from Chase quickly almost spilling her wine.

"Come, Anna, now we may go outside." Chase's humour filled voice surrounded her.

She watched, as he unlocked the glass door, but her senses where still caught up in his earlier caresses. He reached out a hand and led her into the balmy, tropical air.

She stood on the large balcony feeling a little awed. A small table covered with tiny candles, and a vase of dark red roses sat in an enclosed part of the outdoor area. Chase walked straight to the table, and pulled out a chair for her. It took her a moment to respond, as the realm of luxury and opulence she was in surrounded her. He fit in here and she knew that she never would.

She took in a deep breath, and let him push her chair in for her. He sat with a flourish that had her gaping at how graceful he was when he was such a big man. A waiter shortly arrived after they sat to offer her a glass of juice, which made her smile. He really had gotten to know her these last few days. She looked across the table into those rather wicked brown eyes of his and raised her glass of juice. He smiled at her, as he raised his glass as well.

"To what are we toasting?" he asked curiously, as he watched the soft bloom of a blush appear on her cheeks.

"To the best four days that I've ever had while on holiday." She said softly, as she clinked her glass with his.

"It could be extended." He dangled the carrot in front of her again.

She closed her eyes against the onslaught of emotions that ran through her. It was getting harder to refuse him. She had no money, so how would she even pay for the extra days? How could she afford the change in airfare?

Not to forget that work expected her back. She could lose her job, and then there goes her house and her car. She wrestled with herself for a moment, before shaking her head.

"Thank you, but no, I have to go back." She said in a shaky voice, and he let out a breath.

"One can hope," he whispered, as he took a delicate sip of his wine. The waiter returned with a soup that looked unfamiliar. It smelt like seafood, but exotic all at the same time. "It's a Thai soup, a variation on Tom Yum soup," Chase answered her obvious curiosity. "It might be a little spicy." He warned her.

It was too late; she had already taken the first mouthful. Her entire mouth felt like it was on fire, and she choked, as she tried to stop her eyes from watering. Chase gestured to the yoghurt and cucumber, which she had thought was a snack. She quickly grabbed some, and was happy to find her fiery throat ease a little.

"Not much for spicy food?" He asked in amusement, which made her glare at him.

"Obviously not." She replied dryly, and he let out a laugh.

"You can skip the soup if you like. I promise our dinner isn't spicy." He assured her, and she nodded, while pushing the bowl away.

"It's a shame it's so hot, the other flavours tasted really good when you get past the heat."

She looked at the bowl with a bit of remorse. She was never one to turn back food normally, but one mouthful of that stuff was too potent for her. She watched Chase, as he consumed the bowl without raising a sweat. The waiter returned to collect their bowls, and to give Brianna another orange juice, which she needed. Her throat still felt rather raw.

"What's next for you after your holiday?" Brianna asked him, and his frown surprised her.

He had never really mentioned where he worked, but she assumed that he did. He seemed too in control of things to be someone still mooching off his rich parents.

"Back to work, I guess." He muttered, as he looked away from her.

"You know you never did tell me what you did for work." She pressed, and his frown deepened into a scowl. He let out a harsh bark of laughter, and she stared at his odd behaviour.

"You know, Anna. You can stop pretending that you don't." He said harshly, and his sudden rudeness struck her deeply.

"I have no idea! How could I, if you never told me?" she asked in exasperation, while he sent her a shocked look.

"You're not joking, are you?" he asked seriously.

"No, what would I be joking about anyway?" she had no idea what had caused such a strange reaction in him, so she decided to avoid the topic of his work. "Did I tell you that I won this holiday? It was great timing too. I'm glad to be away from home at the moment." She finished on a mutter, and hadn't realised that she had frowned herself.

Just thinking about Terrence would do that to her. That insufferable man, who she had devoted three years of her life to, would be marrying his secretary today. She felt saddened by that, but at the same time relieved. Was Terrence really the man that she would want to be married to anyway?

Her thoughts scattered to the wind, as the waiter carried out a huge platter. A giant lobster sat in prime position, and Brianna felt her mouth drop open at all the different salads and side dishes that accompanied it.

"Wow, I've never had lobster before," she said in amazement. Chase chuckled at her obvious daunted expression on how to eat it.

"Do you want to know the messy way to eat it, or the correct way?" Chase asked with his eyes intent on her lips.

"Messy, of course! Who in heavens could be bothered with the correct way?" she told him shortly.

"Excellent."

He showed her how to crack the shell open to get at the tender, delicious flesh on the inside. She took to it with ease and soon had a pile of shells on her plate. He couldn't believe this woman; she was starting to seem too good to be true. She truly had no idea of who he was, and she didn't seem to care either.

This dinner was one that he had tried on many of his dates. He used it as a test to see how they would react to things like the heat of the food, or the complication of cracking your own shells, but most especially how they dealt with the calorie-laden food. Most women had found it odd that he expected them to get the lobster out of the shell by themselves, while constantly talking about how bad it was for their diet

She may not like spicy food, as he did, but at least she had tried it without complaint. In fact, she had looked a bit sad that she couldn't eat more of it. She had never once mentioned the dreaded calorie word, and was at this moment slathering her lobster in butter. He'd never had so much fun on a date with any woman until now.

"I don't think I've ever tasted anything so downright yummy before." She said with a grin, as a drip of butter slid down her lips. She quickly scooped it up with a flick of her tongue, making Chase need to stifle a groan. This woman could possibly be the death of him.

"What's happening at home that you're glad to be away from?" Chase cleared his throat to ask, trying to steer the conversation away from dangerous waters. At that, her face darkened and he was sorry that he asked.

"Stupid Terrence and his stupid fiancée!" she muttered angrily almost to herself. "What's wrong with me, Chase? Why does every guy that I end up with run off with someone younger? Okay, so I don't have the highest paying job or the biggest boobs in the world, but at least I'm still me." She finished rather lamely, and turned away from him.

She got up and walked over to the edge of the balcony. The wind helped her tears to dry, as she forced them back down. Her life was such a mess, and here she was spilling it to a gorgeous guy who probably couldn't care less. These last four days had been wonderful, but tomorrow she would be back in her own world where the laughter of children was the only thing that could cheer her.

"Anna, whoever this Terrence is, he obviously never appreciated you for the woman you are. Nobody younger in the last few days has had my attention, nor would I want to give it to anyone else. And let me just tell you that your breasts have definitely been keeping me awake at night with naughty thoughts." Chase told her honestly, as he came up behind her.

In that instant, she gave in. All her minds protest of spending the night or not with this man flew out the window. He understood her. He may not know her very well, but he recognised something about her that no other man ever had. He found her attractive, if their behaviour in the lift earlier didn't prove it then nothing did. For tonight, she would give herself to him. She would give herself to Chase Montgomery and damn the consequences.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 96.5K 39
Highest ranking: #1- Engagement #1- Waiters #1- Maid of honour #1- Sad #2- Baby #2- Boss #2- Hitlist #2- Heartbreak #3- Marriage #3- Power #4- Ha...
880K 34.3K 52
2nd place in Wicked Awards 3rd place in The Waterfall Awards "You're real funny Kevin Reynolds, the marriage is just a contract so no I'm not going t...
24.2M 848K 81
The Highest Ranking: #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Feb-18 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 08-Jan-17 #2 Romance |Currently in Hot List| 21...
1M 35.6K 23
Baking blogger, Madison Blake, is over the moon that her big sister is getting married. Celebratory drinks are had and some dancing is done to honour...