Genesis ► GREY'S ANATOMY [1]

By apricitii

IN WHICH two sisters try to get their lives back on track, while working as interns in the same hospital. Wit... More

GENESIS
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
SEQUEL!

CHAPTER ONE

78.6K 1.1K 640
By apricitii

THE BEEPING OF an alarm woke up the girl, who was fast asleep. She shot up and her ocean blue eyes landed on the time. With a sigh, she let herself fall back on her mattress. She wanted to close her eyes again and continue sleeping, but she knew she couldn't. That day was an important day. That day was the beginning of the rest of her life, a new life. It was a fresh start and that was what her and her sister needed. The girl looked around the room – well, her room – and got a lump in her throat. She wanted to think happy thoughts, because she was back in her childhood home, the home where she grew up. However, she couldn't. The only thing she felt was sadness. In that moment, she thought that her older sister – only by one year – might be right about living here again.

Said sister, Meredith was her name, had some doubts about back into their old house. They had lived here, most of their life with their mother. Not that their mother was around much, most of the time it was just the two sisters. Meredith wanted to sell the house and get a new one, but the youngest had stopped her. She was of the opinion that if they sold the house, they would lose yet another part of their mother. Ellis Grey, a renowned general surgeon, had Alzheimer's – a common form of dementia. The only memories that Ellis could remember were the beginning times when she was still a surgeon, when the two sisters were little girls.

It was hard on them both, knowing that sometimes their mother wouldn't even recognize them. The youngest sister wanted to keep the house in their possession, because to her it then felt like a part of their mother still remembered them. Even though, Ellis had been a far better surgeon than she was ever a mother, she was still their mother and they didn't want to lose her. After taking a deep breath, Courtney – the youngest and last child – got up and looked for some clean clothes. After taking a shower, the girl got dressed and hurried downstairs.

She went into the kitchen, not noticing two sleeping people in the living room. Courtney grabbed an apple for breakfast and walked back to the living room. However, she quickly stopped walking when she noticed a naked man, only a blanket covering him, lying on the floor and her sister – probably, naked as well – sleeping on the couch. Courtney let out an annoyed sigh and neared her sister, accidentally kicking with her foot against the stranger. He woke up, seconds before Meredith – who was woken up by a tap on her shoulder. "Courtney?" She whispered, still half asleep. Her eyes widened when she noticed the situation. "Courtney!?"

"That's my name. You need to get changed, because we really need to leave. We can't be late to our first day." However, the stranger spoke up, making Courtney roll her blue eyes. She had sat down on the arm of the sofa, biting her apple. The man was introducing himself to Meredith, wondering if they were going to do it again. Courtney wasn't really interested in what he had to say or what his name was. It would be the last time she or Meredith saw him anyway, so why even bother?

When Meredith had run upstairs, he turned to the annoyed blonde biting her apple. Maybe, he could get to know Meredith a bit better by talking to her sister. "So, you're her sister, right? She told me a lot about you."

"Oh please, I can tell you're lying. Nine out of ten, you both were drunk of your ass and I doubt that you guys talked about family and your goals. I know my sister well enough, so put on some clothes and get out of our house." She walked away to throw apple core away, giving him space and privacy to change. A smile appeared on her pink lips when she heard the door slam shut. Meredith was downstairs in no time and her sister was already waiting for her, spinning the keys around her fingers. "Ready to go, sis?"

"If I hear one comment about the guy, I'm going to kill you."

"Fine, I won't say a single thing." The two sisters got in Courtney's car, who started it and drove off the driveway. It was silent in the car, only the music coming from the radio was making a sound. "He does have nice hair? Very, um, luscious." Meredith slapped on her arm, shooting her a glare. "Hey, watch out, I'm driving."

☤☤☤

They were late on their very first day. Luckily, nobody had actually noticed their late arrival, since everyone was too busy staring in awe at the operating they were all in. The Chief of Surgery, Richard Webber, was giving the group of interns a speech. "Each of you comes today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you."

The interns were then sent to the locker room, where they waited to be called upon. The door opened, two doctors walked in and started yelling names. Courtney tapped her foot against the floor as she sat on a bench, ready to start. Her sister was talking to a Korean girl with beautiful black hair, who Courtney remembered as Cristina. People left the room in small groups, the talking slowly diminishing. "What about you, blondie? You're not the model, right?" Cristina suddenly asked Courtney, who raised her eyebrows. She had no idea what they were talking about. "Your resident. Who is it?"

"Oh, it's Bailey and for your information, I'm not the model." Cristina nodded. "The name's Courtney."

"You got the Nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George ... O'Malley." A guy with brown hair, looking a little uncomfortable and probably felt awkward, chimed in. His eyes landed on Meredith, his pupils widening a bit. "Uh...we met at the...ah mixer...you had a black dress with a slit at the sides, strappy sandals and....now you think I'm gay." The three girls looked at each other before staring at George again. "No, I'm not gay."

"Uh huh."

"It's uh...ah...it's just that ah...you know...I mean you were very unforgettable...and I mean –" George stuttered, making Courtney cringe. He was only digging himself a deeper hole and she just wanted him to stop embarrassing himself even more.

"O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Stevens and Grey again." They got up and walked towards the doctor, who had called them. George mumbled something to himself, which Courtney caught.

"Did you say something?"

"No, uh, no, I didn't say anything. I didn't." He stuttered again, making Courtney sigh and place her hand on his shoulder.

"Relax, O'Malley. We're not going to eat you, so just take a deep breath, okay?" George nodded, hesitantly, before they followed Meredith and Cristina. They were all quite surprised to see 'The Nazi', because they had pictured someone other than a short black woman. Courtney hadn't really thought about how their resident looked like, unlike the others.

"Maybe it's professional jealously. Maybe she's brilliant and they call her the Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice." An enthusiastic and bubbly blonde joined in as she passed them by. Cristina rolled her eyes, figuring that this was the model. "Hi. I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie." She held out her hand, but instead of shaking it, Bailey just stared at her with an annoyed look on her face. Courtney had to hold in her laugh as Izzie dropped her hand.

"I have 5 rules. Memorize them. Rule number 1. Don't bother sucking up. I already hate you, that's not gonna change." Bailey intensely looked at all five of her interns, making Courtney gulp. She then pointed at the desk. "Trauma protocol. Phone lists. Pagers. Nurses will page you." The interns quickly grabbed their stuff as Bailey already started walking away. The interns quickly shared a look, before running after their resident.

"You answer every page at a run. A run! That's rule number 2. Your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours." Bailey was telling the interns as they were walking over the bridge where you could see the main hall. "Your interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, work every second night until you drop and don't complain."

She stopped her tour for a minute as she neared a door with a plate 'On call' hanging next to it. She opened it, letting her interns take a look inside. "On call rooms. Attendings hog them. Sleep when you can, where you can. Which brings me to rule number 3. If I'm sleeping, don't wake me unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number 4. The dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only will you have killed someone, you would have woke me for no good reason. We clear?" Everyone nodded when Meredith raised her hand, "Yes?"

"You said five rules. That was only ... four."

The next sound they heard was a beeping, coming from Bailey's pager. The woman glanced at her pager, "Rule number five. When I move, you move." She started sprinting down the halls with her interns right behind her, while yelling at doctors to get out of her way.

They were going to their very first patient of their medical career.

  ☤☤☤  

"Alright, get her on her side." Bailey ordered, after they had rushed Katie – a 15-year-old girl with seizures – into a hospital room. The interns followed Bailey's advice she was given them. Courtney still couldn't believe this, they were saving a person's life. She was so caught up that she didn't even see a tall, black doctor – a Cardiothoracic surgeon known as Preston Burke – entered the room. She only heard the words fish and dry land, the rest she didn't pay attention too.

"That means every test in the book. CT, CBC, CHEM-7, TOX Screen." Bailey said as she handed Cristina Katie's chart. Courtney smiled, knowing that they were going to get to do things on their own now. "Cristina, you're on labs together with Courtney. George, patient work ups. Meredith, get Katie for a CT. She's your responsibility now."

"Wait, what about me?"

"You? Honey, you get to do rectal exams." Bailey told Izzie, before leaving the interns alone. Courtney and Cristina glanced at each other, both amused.

"Well, that's something totally different from modelling, isn't it?" Courtney said out loud, making the others laugh – well, everyone except Izzie. Said blonde was glaring at the other blonde girl, who was laughing her ass off.

"Let's go, we have work to do, blondie. I want – no, need to be the one the attendings pick." Cristina stated as they left the hospital room to go over to the laboratory to do the tests for Katie Bryce.

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Please don't tell me that you're as stupid as the model." Courtney shot her a glare, feeling offended. She was about to defend herself, but Cristina stopped her as she explained the thing she was talking about. "I heard that every year an attending on call picks the best intern and lets them perform a procedure during the first shift."

"Really?"

"Really." They continued working, looking for what had triggered the 15-year-old's seizures. During their research, they two occasionally talked to the each other about what university they had gone to and about themselves. Cristina came off as rude at some times, but Courtney tried her best to not snap. They didn't really find anything, so they left the laboratory and went to the O.R where Bailey was operating on someone. Cristina peeked into it and Courtney tried to push her aside see as well.

"Stop pushing me, blondie.

"You're not the only one who wants to a chance to be in the O.R, you know that right? So, let. Me. Look." Cristina glanced at her, but didn't move. They bickered about Cristina not moving, alerting Miranda Bailey, who walked away from her patient for a couple of seconds.

"What are you doing here?"

"Um, Katie Bryce's labs came out clear. We checked everything, but nothing in her results explained the seizures she's having. We wanted to let you know." Courtney answered with a smile.

"Okay."

"Ah ... ah ... I, ." Cristina suddenly announced, stopping Bailey from going back to her surgery. The woman didn't reply and just stared at the Korean intern. "I'm just saying that's what I heard."

"Go away, now."

  ☤☤☤  

Courtney and Cristina had went to lunch together. Even though, they bickered from time to time, they appreciated each other. The two got lunch and looked for a table. They were eating in peace, when Izzie and later George walked up to them. The two girls shared a look, but let them sit with them anyway. They had the same resident after all. Izzie wasn't eating anything from her plate, which both Courtney and George noticed. "The shift is a marathon. Not a sprint. Eat." George advised Izzie, who looked a bit queasy. She told them she couldn't. "You should eat something."

"You try eating after performing 17 rectal exams. The Nazi hates me."

"The Nazi's a resident. I have attendings hating me." Courtney looked over at the line of people getting more food, before standing up. People glanced up at her and she gave them a confused look.

"I'm just getting a muffin, guys." Courtney mentioned as she left her place to go over to the food line, which wasn't that long. Right after Courtney had left, Cristina looked up from the book she had started reading after being done with her food. She told the other two about how both Meredith and Courtney were inbred and that the Ellis Grey was their mother. The three continued gossiping about how amazing Ellis was and how lucky the two sisters were, until said sisters returned back to the table at the same time.

"Katie Bryce is a pain in the ass. If I hadn't taken the Hippocratic Oath I'd Kevorkian with my bare hands." Meredith said as she sat down, every intern at the table's eyes were on her and Courtney. "What?"

"She's really that bad?" Meredith let out a sigh, giving her answer. Courtney smiled at Meredith, who shot her a smile back. Everybody resumed eating in peace, which was interrupted by Burke entering the cafeteria.

"Good afternoon interns. It's posted but I thought I share the good news personally." Every single intern immediately stopped eating and looked at the doctor, wondering what the good news was. "As you know the honor of performing first surgery is reserved for the intern that shows the most promise. As I'm running the O.R. today I get to make that choice." Cristina straightened her back, making Courtney smile. She already knew that Cristina would do anything to be in the O.R. Sadly enough, it wasn't Cristina, but George. "George O'Malley."

"Me?"

"You'll scrub in for an appendectomy this afternoon. Congratulations. Enjoy." He said, before leaving to cafeteria and everyone continued eating their lunch. Cristina who was clearly jealous of a dumfounded George looked annoyed. Courtney on the other hand wasn't jealous, just a little bit upset that she hadn't been picked. She knew that there were other chances to scrub in.

"Did he say me?"

"Yes, he did, George."

☤☤☤

Most of the interns, a couple of other doctors were all gathered in the observation deck, overlooking the operating room. It was time for the appendectomy, which George would scrub in. Courtney and Cristina sat down next to each other, looking at George, who was pacing and muttering to himself. He was reminding himself what he needed to do. A couple of interns were saying that he was going to faint or poop his pants. It quickly developed into a bet, which Cristina joined. Courtney sighed and rolled her eyes at the pathetic behavior. Normally, she would've jumped in, but she figured that it would be no use. Children could always be children.

"50 says he pulls the whole thing off." Meredith snapped, making everyone look at the eldest Grey. A proud smile appeared on the sister's lips. "That's one of us down there. The first one of us. Where's your loyalty?" Every intern was quiet after that, not knowing what to say. But then, Cristina bet 75 dollars to the possibility that George couldn't even I.D the appendix

"I'll take that action."

"Believe in yourself, O'Malley. Don't let us down." Courtney muttered, her sentence barely a whisper as the operation started after Burke had gone in. The intern asked for a scalpel and made a cut, after receiving the item. His fellow interns cheered and clapped for him, but were shut down by Burke, who gave them a gesture to quit it.

"That Burke is trouble." Cristina stated, while staring at said doctor. Courtney raised an eyebrow and glanced at the girl sitting next to her. Currently, George was cutting into human flesh, the rest completely silent as they watched him.

"Damn, he got the peritoneum open. I'm out." The first intern said, dropping out of the bet they had made earlier. Meredith said something along the lines of I-told-you-so to the intern with a smug look on her face. Seconds later, George removed the appendix successfully, which caused the interns to cheer again. He even got a compliment from Burke himself.

However, then it went wrong. George broke the strings, which wasn't supposed to happen. The intern was already in a panic, while the other interns were worried. Burke asked him what to do next, but George didn't reply. He was panicking, really bad. "Come on, George." Courtney let out, her hands going through her blonde locks. Burke then told him what to do and asked Bohkee, one of the nurses, to give him a clamp.

George didn't do anything. He was choking, which Cristina was glad to point out. The patient's BP was dropping. George didn't move. The monitor was beeping really fast, worrying everybody. George didn't move. The patient was close to dying, making Burke step him. He shoved George out of the way, calling him a pansy ass idiot, before saving the patient's life. "He's 007."

"What's 007 mean?"

"Licensed to kill."

After the disastrous surgery, Bailey's interns had gathered in a deserted hallway, which they had called their usual hang spot. The two sisters, Izzie and Cristina were lounging on the beds, while George was slouching in a wheelchair, facing them. He was still worrying about the failed surgery and what everyone now thought of him. "007. They're calling me 007, aren't they?"

"No one is calling you 007." Meredith and Izzie answered in unison, trying to make him feel better.

"I was on the elevator and Murphy whispered 007."

"Oh how many times do we have to go through this George? Five? Ten? Give me a number. Otherwise, I'm gonna hit you." Cristina stated, being her lovely self, as she got up and went to get a soda can from the vending machine down the hall.

"Murphy whispered 007 and everyone laughed."

"He wasn't talking about you." Izzie comforted him. George didn't really believe her, asking if she was sure. Meredith agreed with Izzie, making Courtney sat up straight.

"Look, George, so what if they did? Think of it as a learning experience, which is why we are here. You choked, so what? Don't listen to them." Courtney let him know what she thought of the situation.

"007 is a state of mind." Cristina shouted from another hall, while she was purchasing a can.

"Oh says the girl who finished 1st in her class at Stanford." George called back, letting out a deep sigh. Suddenly, one of the pagers went off. The interns all checked theirs, thinking it was them. It ended up being Meredith, who let them know it was a 911 on Katie Bryce. She sprinted away from her sister and new friends. "Maybe I should've gone into geriatrics. No one minds when you kill an old person." George said, his thoughts still on his new nickname.

"Surgery is hot. It's the marines. It's macho. It's hostile. It's hardcore. Geriatrics is for freaks who live with their mothers and never have sex." Cristina stated as she entered the hall again, sitting back down.

"I've gotta get my own place."

☤☤☤

They had already survived one full day without any sleep. Only day to go and they could finally catch some sleep. During that one day, Courtney had run around the hospital helping other patients. Sadly enough, she hadn't had a patient which needed surgery. All interns were currently gathered in a boardroom, not knowing why they were there. Cristina Yang was stitching into a banana, while Courtney was looking around the room – yawning. Meredith was stood next to her sister asked the black-haired girl what she was doing. "I'm suturing a banana with the vain hoping that it wakes up my brain." Cristina answered, making George start laughing. "What are you smiling at, 007?" He instantly stopped, a sour look graced his face. "I'm sorry I get mean when I'm tired."

"Sometimes I wonder if being mean is your default setting." Cristina ignored what Courtney had said and focused on her banana. George and Meredith let out a chuckle, before George told Cristina that he didn't care what she said. He had comforted a family and got to hang out in the O.R. "Does anybody know why we're here? All of this standing around is making me even more tired." Courtney asked, when the door opened. Doctor Shepherd walked in, surprising Courtney. She immediately recognized his fabulous hair and looked at Meredith, who looked back at her with a sheepish look on her face.

"Forgot to tell you. Apparently, I slept with my boss' boss." Meredith whispered to her younger sister, who rubbed her face.

"Are you kidding me?"

Courtney had missed a part of the speech Shepherd was giving them, "I need you to play detective. I need you to find out why Katie is having seizures. I know you're tired; you're busy, you got more work than you can possibly handle. I understand. So, I'm going to give you an incentive, whoever finds the answer rides with me. If Katie needs surgery, you get to do what no other interns get to do, scrub in to assist on an advanced procedure." Every intern perked up, especially Cristina. "Doctor Bailey is going to hand you Katie's chart. The clock is ticking, fast, people. If we're going to save Katie's life, we have to do it soon." Derek Shepherd walked out and the interns rushed forward to grab a copy of Katie's file.

  ☤☤☤  

Courtney Grey was lying on the floor in the medical library, her face resting on Katie's chart while other books were spread out near her hands. During her research, she had fallen asleep due to the lack of sleep. People walking by hadn't bothered to wake her up, finding it hilarious instead. Cristina and Meredith had walked in and found a sleeping Courtney. Meredith crouched down and woke up her sister, like she had done yesterday morning. "Huh, what?" Courtney woke up a little disorientated.

Cristina sat down next to the two sisters, looking at the youngest, "Have you found something, blondie?"

"No, not yet, I think I fell asleep before actually finding something."

"Wanna work together, then? Meredith is already helping, since she's already on Katie's case. All of us working together and finding the answer gives us a 50/50 chance of scrubbing in."

"Um, Cristina? We're with three, not two?"

"Meredith doesn't want in, since she doesn't want to spend more time with Shepherd than she already has. Do you know what she has against Shepherd?"

"Sorry, can't tell you. Can't break the sister's code." Cristina didn't reply and continued looking through Katie's file. After everyone had thoroughly read it, they started sharing theories. Cristina kept asking Meredith to tell her what had happened between her and Shepherd. Eventually, Meredith broke and spilled her secret to Cristina, before they went back to trying to find the trigger to Katie's seizure. Courtney hadn't really joined their conversation, being too tired. She yawned again as her eyes went over the chart for the millionth time.

"We're out of answers. What if no one comes up with anything?" Meredith wondered, when they couldn't come up with anymore theories.

"You mean what if she dies?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, this is gonna sound really bad, but I really wanted that surgery." Cristina revealed, not really surprising Courtney. In the short time that Courtney had talked with Cristina, she knew that Cristina loved surgery and would do anything to get in there. Meredith felt bad for Katie, because if they didn't find anything, Katie would never get the chance to turn into a person. The sum total of her life would be almost winning a miss teen pageant. The girls stared laughing and joking about pageants and Katie's talent – which was Rhythmic gymnastics. However, Meredith suddenly realized something.

"Get up. Come on." She said, gesturing the two to get up and follow her. Courtney let out a barely hearable okay, before following her sister without knowing what they were going to do. The pace quickened as Meredith explained everything. They needed to find Derek, who was just getting in an elevator. They kept stopping the elevator from closing as they talked and explained what they had found. The three of them – well, Meredith – had figured out that Katie Bryce might have an aneurysm. She had fallen during practice and hit her head. Derek couldn't believe it at first, the chances that a minor fall could burst into an aneurysm were very small. One in a million.

The doors closed in their faces, making the interns share a look. Had they failed? With a sigh, they walked away from the elevators. They had tried their best and that was all that mattered. However, a sudden bing made them stop and turn around. "Let's go." Derek stated as he neared them.

"Where?"

"To find out if Katie is one in a million."

☤☤☤

Courtney was standing still, looking around the room, trying to find Cristina. Katie had been the one in the million and she did have an aneurysm. So, Derek had to choose one of the three interns to scrub in. He ended up choosing Meredith, the eldest Grey. That had angered Cristina, who knew about their hook up. It had bothered Courtney, but not for the reasons it bothered Cristina. She didn't blame her sister for getting picked over her or Cristina, not at all. She however did blame Derek Shepherd. She couldn't believe that he would do something like that. He knew that Courtney knew and did he really think that she wouldn't think that him picking Meredith meant something? Meredith deserved every chance she got to learn, but she didn't want her sister to be picked because of one night she was drunk and brought a guy home.

When Cristina had walked away in a rage, Courtney had tried to follow her to calm her down and talk to her. She lost the girl and was searching for her. She walked hallways in and out, forgetting about their hallway. Suddenly, she noticed a familiar light brown haired head. "Meredith!" She yelled, grabbing the attention of not only her sister but also of people standing in the room.

"Courtney! Oh please, tell me that you don't think that I –"

She placed her hands on her sister's shoulders and looked her in the eyes, a smile gracing her lips, "Don't worry, Mer. I don't blame you for getting picked. You deserve an opportunity to learn, but like this? I thought that he knew better."

"Have you talked to Cristina yet?"

"No, she ran off and I couldn't find her. I've searched everywhere."

"Have you checked our hallway?" Courtney sighed and rubbed her face, feeling like an absolute stupid moron. Why didn't she think to search there first? The youngest shook her head and they took off. They arrived at the hallway and found Cristina.

"I'll tell him I changed my mind –" Meredith suggested when she saw the looks on her new friend's face. Courtney stood beside her with her arms crossed over her chest, staring at Cristina.

"You know don't give ... don't do me any favors. It's fine."

"Cristina."

"You know what you did a cut throat thing. Deal with it. Don't come to me for absolution. You wanna be a shark. Be a shark." Cristina said in a cold tone, making Courtney grit her teeth. She was doing anything to not snap at the girl sitting on the bed.

"I'm not. I'm –"

"Oh, yes, you are. Only it makes you feel bad in all your warm gooey places." Cristina started getting even more angrier than she already was. "You know screw you. I don't get picked for surgeries, because I slept with my boss and" Meredith gasped, while Courtney glared. "I didn't get into med school, because I have a famous mother! You know some of us have to earn what we get." Meredith looked upset and tried to walk away, but Courtney grabbed her by her arm. The eldest looked at the youngest, shaking her head before ripping her arm out of Courtney's grasp.

"You went too far, Cristina. Do you think that Meredith wanted to be picked? She didn't. If you want someone to blame for not being able to scrub in, blame Shepherd. You do not get to talk to my sister like that. We earned everything we got, okay? Everything we did, we did ourselves. If it was up to our mother, we wouldn't even be here. Do you honestly think that life is easy with a famous mother, a surgeon? Huh? No, it isn't." Courtney snapped at Cristina, before following after her sister.

☤☤☤

The surgery on Katie Bryce was done and Meredith felt like she was on cloud nine. She had taken a seat and Cristina joined her. They talked it out, while Courtney had decided to have a little talk with the neurosurgeon. She knew that he was her boss' boss, but he needed to hear what she had to say. She honestly didn't care about their positions at the moment. She didn't care that she was a beginning intern, while he was an attending. She was waiting for him at the door, which opened fairly soon. He was about to walk to the nurses' station, when she stepped in his way.

"Look, Derek, we need to have a talk about your intentions with my sister." It made him laugh. She glared at him and he quickly apologized, telling her that she could continue. He thought it was adorable that she was coming up for her sister like this. "If you do something like what you did today again? Well, we are going to have a problem. Don't get me wrong, it's good that she was in the O.R, but if other people find out about the two of you, lots of people are going to start looking at her differently and thinking that she doesn't deserve to be here or spend time in the O.R."

"I didn't pick her for the wrong reasons, Courtney. I picked her because she was Katie's doctor and on her first day she saved a life with little training." Derek smiled as he noticed Meredith walking up to them. "Nobody is going to find out."

"I wish I could believe that, Derek. But the truth always comes out, if you want it or not." Courtney smiled at her sister, who now stood next to her. "I'll give you two a moment, okay? I'll wait for you, outside." Meredith nodded as Courtney walked away, stuffing her hands in her pockets. She looked back and saw the two having a moment. She sighed, hoping that Meredith was making the right choice. Courtney noticed the other interns and walked up to them.

"I get it." Cristina told Courtney, who raised her eyebrows. That simple sentence was an apology coming from Cristina and Courtney nodded. Meredith eventually caught up with them as well, before they all parted ways. The two sisters went over to Roseridge Home for Extended Care to visit their dear mother. They told her about their very first shift as surgical interns and about the other interns in their group. They told her that they weren't going to sell the house and maybe even get some roommates.

But Ellis Grey didn't remember who the two beautiful, but broken, girls were. She couldn't remember and she hadn't been able to remember them for the last five years. It hurt both sisters, the youngest the most. Courtney however didn't show that feeling, that feeling that she was broken. Neither did Meredith.

They needed to be strong, for each other and themselves. If they weren't, they would break.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.4K 1.6K 13
Join Margo Shepherd as she navigates her way through her new home Seattle Grace Hospital Grey's Anatomy | Season 1- TBD MARK SLOAN x OC SLOW BURN #...
677K 18.2K 89
Saving lives is all I wanted to do in life but something harder than a open heart surgery is protecting your own heart. I thought I was strong enough...
18K 632 8
𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘦 || "all I know addie, is when I stare at you all I think about is kissing you and planning a future with you and how brilliant you are and...
252K 9.5K 55
Edit (Eddie) Sousa didn't expect her intern year to go like this. All because she had a one night stand with a very handsome older, sexy man. Now, no...