Frostbitten Sand (Naruto Fanf...

By yemihikari

Suna finds itself preparing for the first holiday season after Gaara became Kazekage, and the plans were simp... More

Prolog
Awakening Holiday Season
Boxes of Christmas Tidings
The Forth Bah-Humbug
Misplaced Patchwork Stiches
Holiday Worries Coming Forth
Blooming Christmas Cactus
Christmas Grouch
Frosty Reception
Misty Answers
Breaking the Ice
Not So Icy Heart
Shattering Egos
Playing Pieces
Asundered Sand
Exasperating

Glittering Christmas Lights

102 2 2
By yemihikari

Time passed, and the young Kazekage went about his buissness despite the fact he wished to personally see how Rasa was doing. Instead he satisfied himself with the reports he received from Baki, and the preparations for the coming holiday which would occur in a few weeks or so. A few who heard that Rasa was awake despite the closed lips of the medical-nin asked if he'd been to see Rasa, and if he'd anything to report.

"I've not been to see him lately." Such an answer though caused the person asking the question to glare at him as if he'd done something wrong.

Finally he stopped short upon hearing more gossiping going on. "Can you believe that the fifth Kazekage hasn't been to see his father, the forth Kazekage since he's woken up?"

"Come on, it's simply a rumor that the forth has woken up, and the fifth is busy with his duties."

"Yes, but none of the forth's Kazekage's children have been to visit him. With such ungrateful children he should re-marry once he's well enough."

The young Kazekage's eyes widened at this comment, and watched as the two women passed by without noticing that he was in the connecting hall. He headed to his office, and stayed there thinking about what was said, as he poured through the paperwork. Late in the evening though he finished, and found himself

Gaara stared at the cactus growing on his desk, wondering how things would turn out. His eyes narrowed recollecting the fact Rasa awoke four days earlier, and the time kept ticking away to when something might blow up. The stuffed teddy bear he was trying to make also lay on the desk in front of him, and his pale green eyes took in every flaw.

"If I would describe the difference between your precious teddy, and the one you're trying to make, your precious teddy is how your father is, and sister and brother, but this one represents you really well. No matter how much you patch yourself together, you won't meet his standards. You should know that by now."

"You know that you goading me doesn't work anymore, right?"

"I'm just trying to be helpful, oh Young Kazekage."

The young Kazekage leaned back, and looked up at the ceiling, and noticed a few Christmas decorations above his head. His mouth opened wondering when they got there, and a knock came on his door. "I put those up there knowing you've a habit to look up there, or out the window when something frustrates you. Don't worry though, there is no mistletoe. I don't want you to ever be ready for that."

"Temari?" Gaara's head darted up as his sister stepped into the room. "Are you sure you and Kankuro wouldn't go and visit father?"

His pale green eyes noticed the trey of food, and watched as his sister stepped over. "You need to eat. I brought you some sweets." This comment made Gaara grimace, and Temari's mouth twisted up into a smile. "I know full well you secretly love sweets Gaara, and I promised nothing I brought is of a jellied consistency, or anything which has a texture it shouldn't have."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Gaara moved his hands to his mouth, not liking how his sister changed the subject on him so quickly.

"Really? You've personally told me that jellied deserts feel like slime going down your throat, and that you don't understand why candied chestnuts aren't hard like other candied nuts. Plus, you're going to need to taste the treats I'm making for the holidays for our guests, aren't you?" Temari smiled at her brother. "Speaking of which, you should take a look outside your window."

"The sun has already set." Gaara stood up from where he sat, and turned to look out the window. He stopped short upon seeing the white lights right outside of his window, and found himself unable to say anything.

"They finished getting the lights for that building ready just today." Temari pushed herself up so she was sitting on the side of the desk, and crossed her legs together so she was looking out at the window. One of her hands went down to one of the treats. "I wasn't changing the subject on you Gaara, but getting businessmen taken care of first. I hope you can appreciate that."

Gaara's eyes widened, and he looked at his sister. "Temari..."

The blond turned her head. "I don't want to see him anymore then Kankuro does, and I'm not going to go and see him in the hospital, but..." The young Kazekage felt his eyes widened. "I'll give him a second chance for you, particularly since it's the holiday season. I'm not going to be able to convince Kankuro, and I think it's best not to say anything."

The red haired Shinobi moved over to the desk, and pushed himself up onto the top of the desk so he was sitting on the opposite side of the trey of sweets, and took one of the treats. "I'm quite sure anything you make will be fine Temari." Gaara bit down onto the piece of goshikito, and chewed for a bit thinking carefully. "You know how you told me not to listen to that thing called gossip."

Temari blinked a couple of times, before turning her head to look at her brother. "Gossip? You aren't listening to the fact some people want to replace you with f... with the forth are you?"

"It's not that. How do people know that father's awake? From what I learned from the head medical-nin, it's supposed to be a secret that he's awoken from that coma. We only sent word to Lady Tsunade of the leaf village." Gaara's hands tightened around the edge of the desk.

"So you're worried about a leak now?" Temari picked up another treat. "Well, shouldn't you have been worried about that a few days ago.

"The people want the forth back. I'm glad for that. I didn't though expect..." The young Kazekage turned to Temari. "I've been asked if I've seen him today, and if I could pass on any news. I was truthful, and they didn't like the answer."

"Did you tell them that you're not being allowed to visit father because he doesn't know how you've changed."

"I can't reveal such information. People are also wanting to visit him, and are wondering why visitations are limited."

Temari frowned. "Because everybody would want to see him. Thankfully though it's still just rumor status when it comes to gossip. That's something though you don't understand, is it?"

"Temari..." Gaara pushed his lips together. "Why would they think father should remarry?"

"That..." A sigh escaped his sister's mouth telling him he didn't like the subject. "I'd rather not talk about it, as that one is hard to explain. Is that all that's bothering you?"

"Is it wrong to not visit him?"

"Don't you mean, 'is it right to not visit him'?" Temari titled her head as she reached for another treat. "Of course it's right, as we don't know what he's thinking, or how he'll react. I need time to get used to the idea he's going to be back in our lives whether we want it or not, and Kankuro, well, I doubt we'd want him going to visit the forth Kazekage. There's no telling what he would do."

"Still..."

"Gaara, I know you want to go and visit him, but I don't want you getting hurt. He doesn't know you changed, so I dread knowing what he'll say to you." Temari sat with him in the quiet as they munched on the treats, and the young Kazekage knew that the subject was now closed.

Eventually though nearly all of the treats were gone. "What are you going to do about any treats which contain jellied subjects, or those nasty candied chestnuts." Gaara looked up at the ceiling. "I doubt the elders would like seeing us sitting on the desk like this, now that I think of it."

"I'm not going to serve any jellied treats, and I love candied chestnuts, so I doubt I could make any without eating all of them." Temari hopped down from the desk. "It's late at night, so they're not likely to notice. Plus, it's a nice view of the lights across the way, and it doesn't hurt to act your actual age for once, or to make up for what you missed in your childhood, so long as you don't act in a bratty manner."

Gaara realized he hadn't let go of the edge of the desk with his one hand, and frowned down at his now sticky hand. His fingers rubbed together remembering the other part he didn't like about sweets. Temari tapped him on the shoulder. "Try to get some rest tonight, and don't push yourself. I know you struggle to sleep, and all, but you should still try."

The young Kazekage found himself alone at that point, and eventually he pushed himself up to take his older sister's advice. Despite heading back to his room he couldn't sleep, and almost started working on the strange teddy bear he'd been working on. His eyes caught sight of a particular cacti growing in the window, and a though occurred to him.

"If it is all right to act in a childish manner ever so often, so long as I don't act like a spoiled brat, then perhaps I can do that in the morning. I really want to know how he's doing. I'm tired of waiting."

"Good for you! However, I don't think that the word childish means what you think it does, poor child."

Gaara simply leaned against the pillows, and watched for the sun to rise. When the sun finally came up, he headed to another meeting with the elders, listened to more gossip from a few Suna shinobi, and took care of a few other duties. He finally found himself with a break from his duties, and came back to grab the cacti from the place it was located. He walked to the Hospital, and slipped in using his Desert Suspension to get in.

The young Kazekage headed to the room where his father rested, and glanced around the door frame. His eyes widened upon seeing that Rasa wasn't there, and then he stepped in the room. His mouth increased into a frown, and he noticed someone else had gotten the idea to follow proper etiquette for when someone was in the hospital. He stepped over to set the cactus down onto the table.

"Liar. You didn't just sneak in to leave a gift. You want to see him."

"It's best that I don't."

"Except you're worried, admit it, that he isn't here."

Gaara tried ignoring the spirit sealed inside of him, but stopped short as he sensed someone heading to the room, and knew he didn't have time to move without being caught.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.8K 2.1K 20
Did I ever tell you that my life was normal? If I did, then I'm 100% sure that I was wrong. Being the only girl in the family was not an easy task. N...
1.4K 43 35
One night Honoka walks into her home in Sunagakure only to find her caretaker, Ania, dead and the murderer still in her home. She runs for it and is...
704 28 2
Autistic!GaaraXNaruto The gang decides to throw a bonfire at the beach, but the only thing Naruto's worried about is if Gaara's going. They've had st...
1.8K 48 5
============================= Various Team Seven meet each other. A lot of fun and some nice surprises. #KakaSaku This is pure chaos; it is not meant...