Change of Plans

By yeahthatswrite

Beth Hilles is a witty, independent girl living in New York City with her two sisters and her mother. Will D... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Seven

815 29 2
By yeahthatswrite

Chapter 7

Audrey looked up at me from where she was sitting at the kitchen table. She was hunched over her chemistry textbook with her hands wrapped around a coffee mug. "Well don't you look charming?"

"Shut up," I grumbled, sauntering into the kitchen. I raked my fingers through my hair in an attempt to unknot the tangles. Without success, I gave up and focused on pouring myself a steaming cup of coffee. I held the mug beneath my nose and inhaled deeply, relishing the bitter-sweet scent of freshly brewed coffee.

"When'd you get back?" She asked me.

"Pretty late. There were... complications."

"Mom was angry," she told me as if I hadn't already experienced Mom's wrath for myself. "I went to bed before she could take it out on me."

"That was smart of you." I pointed at the textbook in front of her. "Test?"

Audrey nodded. "Chemical equilibrium. It's when the reaction occurs in both directions and the concentrations of both the reactants and products--what?"

I laughed. "Just remembering why I got a C plus in chemistry." I looked around the kitchen. "Where's Jane? She's usually up by now."

"She left for work already. She said she had a meeting or something. I don't know. I wasn't really paying attention," Audrey said. I nodded knowingly. Jane liked talking--a lot. It wasn't a bad thing since she always made good conversation. But they were good conversations that tended to drag on and would eventually end in me being more engrossed in the piece of lint on my shirt.

I sat in the empty chair across from Audrey. She was back to poring through the pages of her textbook. I sipped on my coffee and I turned on the television that was attached to the wall. I flipped through the channels until I reached the morning news channel. The volume was low to avoid waking Mom and I watched as the news anchor did her job. She spoke so effortlessly with her hands folded neatly in front of her. Her face was blank, showing no emotion as she talked about the corner store robbery that occurred two days ago. The suspect stilled hadn't been caught, she'd said.

"How'd you get back?" Audrey asked me.

"I don't really want to talk about this right now. Mom already gave me shit for it," I told her.

"But I'm not Mom."

"I really need to get my own place," I complained, rubbing my hands over my face.

Just as I said that, I heard the familiar sounds of Mom's slippers padding on the floor. Then they stopped. "Your own place? You're too young." I turned in my seat to see her standing in the threshold between the kitchen and the hallway, still dressed in her clothes from last night.

"Good morning to you too," I sighed.

"Beth, you're going to be late for work. You should go change and get ready. Have you had breakfast?"

I held up the mug. "Coffee."

"Coffee isn't breakfast."

"It is when you're in a rush," I retorted.

She looked up at the analog clock hanging on the wall. "Go change. I'll make you a quick sandwich."

I placed my mug on the counter. "Thanks, Mom," I grinned. I pecked her on the cheek before making my way to the washroom.

I stood in front of the mirror and flattened down the creases on the skirt. I wore black pantyhose under my black pencil skirt that reached just above my knees. My white blouse was tucked into the skirt and I buttoned up all but the top button. I used a towel and made sure that my hair was completely dry before I brushed it and pulled it into a high pony-tail. I grabbed my shiny, black pumps from the floor of my closet and put them on.

Walking back into the kitchen, I saw that Mom was sitting alone at the kitchen table and reading The New York Times. Audrey must have already left for school. I kissed Mom on top of her head and pulled my coat off the hook. "Bye," I called from the door.

I took the elevator down to the first floor and hailed a taxi. "The corner of 18th and 5th, please." The driver dropped me off a block away from the firm. I quickly threw my bag over my shoulder and sprinted to work as quick as my heels would carry me. I looked at my reflection on the glass outside of the firm and smoothened out my outfit and hair before walking in.

"Morning, Barb," I grinned at the secretary sitting behind the desk in the lobby. She was in her late sixties and her make-up was always a little over the top, but she was the nicest little old lady ever. Since my first day at the firm, she had been nothing but patient with me. A phone was tucked between her ear and shoulder. She sent me a small wave and continued talking to whoever was on the other end.

"Good morning," a voice said by my ear. I cringed.

"Morning, Ethan."

"I missed you while you were away," he admitted. "Did you reconsider my date proposal?"

"Uh, yeah. You too," I lied. I tried to make space between Ethan and me in the narrow corridor as he walked beside me, hands in his pockets. Every time I'd step away, he'd step closer to me until my shoulder was brushing against the wall as I walked.

"Or do you still have a boyfriend?"

I looked at him. He was frowning. "Yeah, uh, still have a boyfriend," I lied again. Nope. No boyfriends for me. My career was my priority and I wasn't about ready to push it aside to make room for one. I'd only hoped it would serve against Ethan's constant harassment. Which it didn't.

We reached the elevator at the end of the corridor and I pressed the button to go up. "You're going up? Me too," Ethan observed. I smiled but inwardly groaned. This guy just couldn't take a hint.

"Just quickly. I have a meeting." I stepped into the elevator with Ethan, leaving as much space as I could between us. As we stood alone in the elevator, I noted how he looked. Ethan had sprayed cologne--a little too much. He wore a simple, black suit, a striped gray and black tie, and dress shoes. His dirty blonde hair was combed neatly. He noticed me looking at him and flashed me a bright smile. I didn't smile back. I attempted to avoid his gaze the entire ride up to the fifteenth floor.

The elevator dinged and I muttered a 'see you later' before I quickly rushed out.

I walked into my office and put my coat and bag on the hook behind the door. As I went to sit in my chair, I found that it was already occupied.

I laughed when I saw who it was. "As much as I missed you, you need to get out of my seat, Lucas."

"Sorry, Lizzie. I don't see your name on it," Lucas teased, smiling broadly. He was the only person I allowed to call me Lizzie. He lifted his feet and plopped them down on my desk.

"My name's on the door." He didn't budge. "Please, Luke? I'll be your best friend." I even fluttered my eyeslashes for effect.

He chuckled. "You're already my best friend." During my first day as an associate at the firm, Luke offered me his only donut when he found out that I'd forgotten my lunch and couldn't buy one. We'd been inseperable ever since.

Besides Luke, there was also Tilly.

Luke had on his infamous black thick-rimmed glasses. Behind the lenses were a pair of the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen on a guy; they were like the colour of the sea after a storm. Like Ethan, he was dressed professionally in a grey suit. His chestnut hair, as always, was styled back perfectly. Not a hair was out of place. Luke was more of a lanky kind of guy. He hated over-exerting himself so he never bothered to work out. Brain over brawn, he'd tell me. I have brains, I don't need brawns. Fortunately for him, he had a fast metabolism.

"I'll throw in a chocolate milkshake. Final offer." Luke shot up out of my chair immediately. I giggled and walked over to hug him. "Now get out." I pointed to the door.

"We should go out for lunch. You know, for that chocolate milkshake you promised."

"Sure. I'll stop by your office when I'm finished with these cases." I gestured to the stack of files that sat on my desk, beckoning for me to go through them.

He nodded and walked out, closing the door gently behind him. I sat down in my seat, missing the feel of sitting behind my desk. I turned on the laptop that sat on my desk and watched it as it came to life. Before I could log in, there was a brisk knock on the door. "Come in."

Luke walked back into my office. His lips were pursed and he was frowning. Before I could tell him to leave, he spoke, "Clemons wants to see you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.7K 541 82
Continuation of Modesto story who happens to intercourse with friends,mature,classmates,strangers and even family...
194K 9.9K 89
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
95.4K 1.3K 48
๐ˆ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐š๐ฒ ๐›๐š๐œ๐ค ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐จ๐จ๐ฅ , ๐€๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ฒ๐š๐ก ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ข๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ญ๐ก ๐ ๐ซ๐š๐๐ž, ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐ฅ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก...