Brooklyn Baby | Spot Conlon ¹

By PeterPansEyebrows

"What don't I know about Brooklyn?" "She ain't goin' ta Brooklyn." <> More

Chp. 1: Newsies
Chp. 2: Medda
Chp. 3: The World Will Know
Chp. 4: Brooklyn
Chp. 5: Seize the Day
Chp. 6: King of New York
Chp. 7: Sneaking Out
Chp. 8: Rally
Chp. 9: Court
Chp. 10: After Everything
Chp. 11: Once and for All
Chp. 12: Mine
Chp. 13: The Strike is Over, but New Things Are Starting
Chp. 14: What Jack Doesn't Know
Chp. 15: Understandable
Chp. 16: Be Careful
Chp. 17: Aunt
Chp. 18: Confrontations
Chp. 19: the Biltmore
Chp. 20: Back
Chp. 21: John Luciano
Chp. 22: Explanations
Chp. 23: Wally's Death
Chp. 24: Kidnapped
Chp. 25: Birthday
Chp. 26: Sheepshead
Chp. 27: Loss
Chp. 28: Leaving
Chp. 29: Red
Chp. 30: Nothing
Chp. 31: Returning
Chp. 32: Love
Chp. 33: Change
Chp. 34: What Spot Didn't Say
Chp. 35: Secrecy
Chp. 36: Olivia
Chp. 37: Kisses From the Wrong People
Chp. 39: Three Months Later
Chp. 40: Prices to Pay
Chp. 41: Moved On
Chp. 42: Over
Chp. 43: Memories
Chp. 44: Manhattan Is Back
AUTHOR'S NOTE !!
Chp. 45: New Adventures
The End
SEQUEL IS UP!!!!!

Chp. 38: Santa Fe

7.6K 205 321
By PeterPansEyebrows

"S-Spot?"

Spot finally did look up, a smirk on his face evident. Bucky looked at Kenny, who was just staring right at Spot, her lips slightly parted.

"Kenny! What brings ya to Brooklyn?"

"Is this part of ya deal with Stetson?" She quizzes. "Because it looks a little friendly to me,"

"Kissin' my goil? Yeah, I can see how'd that get friendly,"

"Y-Your goil?"

"Oh, where are my mannas'?" Spot grins. "This is Olivia, my goil,"

Olivia smiles and waves. Kenny's eyes don't leave Spot.

"Spot, what--" Bucky starts.

"Bucky, take Olivia into the lodge, will ya?"

Bucky gives Kenny a look before obeying.

"Spot, what are ya doin'?" Kenny whispers.

"I can't do this anymore," Spot says. "It's too complicated,"

"What about everything you've said since I got back?"

Spot shrugged.

"You's choosin' Olivia," Kenny's voice breaks. "Over me?"

"Sorry, Kenny,"

"Yeah." Kenny brings her arm back and punches his square in the jaw. "Me too,"

She runs to Manhattan, her eyes brimming with tear droplets. She didn't understand. Spot said he loved her. Why would he lie? Spot doesn't trust or love easily, why does he already feel both in Olivia?

"Kenny?" Jack asks, rushing over to her.

"Jack," She sobs. "Jack, we gotta leave,"

"What?"

"I can't stay here anymore, come on, let's leave. I just gotta get out of New York,"

"Where would we even go--Kenny, just tell me what's wrong,"

Kenny sat there in a pool of her own tears and told Jack everything. Jack's face grew hard. He knew from the start that bastard would break her heart. If only she wasn't so stubborn.

"Jack, I have a plan,"

The two kept quiet for the next couple of days, Kenny mostly crying, and sent for their aunt and uncle. They asked for money, and lots. Of course, with much to spare, Aunt Anne gave it.

They would go to Santa Fe. They would rent a ranch house for cheap in return for taking care of the animals. They didn't know how long they'd be there, but it didn't matter.

The hard part was going to be telling everyone.

"We's called you all here because we have news," Jack says. Kenny nods.

"We's decided that we are leavin',"

"What?" Race jumps up.

"Where ya goin'?" Mush asks.

"Ya can't leave--"

"Guys, hear us out. It's always been my dream to go to Santa Fe, and things have happened, and Kenny wants to leave as well,"

"You all can come!" Kenny says suddenly. Everyone looks at her. "We have and enough money from tha Vanderbilts for train tickets. We got a ranch out there, we can all go,"

Jack nods. "Santa Fe, guys, it's beautiful, come on,"

"What about sellin'?" Skittery asks.

"Don't ya want a break? Live the country life? Come with us,"

"I'll go, Jack!" Blink exclaims.

Soon enough, everyone was on board. Kenny smiled, but then noticed that Race was being quiet. He just glared at her before going upstairs. While everyone was occupied with looking at Jack's brochure, Kenny slipped away.

"Race?"

He didn't answer.

"Race, I know you can hear me,"

Again, silence.

"Racetrack Higgins!" She yells.

"Why, Kenny?" He finally says.

"Why what?"

"Why do you always run away from your problems?"

"Race--"

"No. The Kenny I know ain't a quitta!"

"Don't you understand?!" She yells, the tears starting to fall again. "Everything here reminds me of him! The newsies, and you! You knew him before he was eva' king of Brooklyn. Jack! Jack's the reason I met him, Race. New York is where I fell in love! And it's where I got my heart broken,"

Race looked at her tear stained face, and his heart sunk.

"I can't take it no more, Race. I need somewhere new, and I want you there wit me,"

Race engulfed her in his arms. "I'll come,"

<>

"I sure will miss you bunch," Kloppman said as he watched the boys all pack their only belongings.

"Don't give our bunks away, will ya?"

"I'd never, Jack."

"Does everyone have their ticket?" Kenny asked as the boys chorused a 'yes'.

The night before, Kenny had already packed her small bag. Then she proceeded to write a short letter.

Bucky,

Sorry you had to see me cry. In light of recent events, I am sorry to tell you that I am leaving. Most of the Manhattan newsies are. Not sure when we will be back.

Thanks for being a friend.
-Kenny Sullivan

She had gotten it delivered that morning before they were to leave. She'd send a postcard to Jets when they got to Santa Fe.

"You ready, sis?" Jack says as they stand at the train yard.

"No turnin' back now," Race added. Both boys' arms were around her and she smiled a little with her lips.

"Ready as I'll eva' be,"

<><><>

The train ride took three days, which was tortuously long. Kenny had never gotten closer to the newsies. Sharing one bathroom with a bunch of boys can do something for you.

So when the train hit Santa Fe, she literally jumped off.

"Kenny, be careful!" Jack called, helping Les off the train.

That's right, Davey and Les came. As did Blink, Mush, Skittery, Boots, and all the rest.

"Hurry, David, I wanna see the horses!" Les exclaimed.

"Don't lose our bags," David said.

"Think I can buy a beer here?" Skittery asks.

"Let's just get to the ranch first,"

The group finally made it from train yards to the countryside ranch, which was an hour from the yards. But boy, was the distance worth it. There were fields that were neighbors to mountains on their ranch, and the sun kissed it all. Horses ran through the fields, galloping in grass the newsies had never seen in Manhattan. Cows and chickens were scattered around, completing the farm.

"Woah," Les stood in front of the two story, yellow painted house with white shudders. All fields were enclosed with white fences.

"How many rooms does it got?" Mush ran past Jack inside. Jack was leaning over the fence, taking in the scenic mountainous sunset.

Kenny went inside to see David already inspecting the kitchen. Upstairs all the other boys were unpacking their stuff. There were four bedrooms with bunk beds. It was almost like the lodge.

"I could get used to it here," Race stretched out on the couch.

Kenny laughed and went out back where Mush was looking at the garden. She laid on the greenest grass she'd ever seen, and the softest at that. She looked at the mountains and took in all the area. It was so different from New York, and she loved it.

Her insides ached so much without Spot, but also inside, she knew this was the right decision.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

SO much happened in this chapter and I'm not ok w it

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.5K 1.2K 26
What happens when the King of Brooklyn meets a smart ass newsie and discovers it was a girl undercover. Spot meets Kris, the infamous and notorious...
45.5K 703 22
Nickels. The word could mean a lot. It could mean the metal, that was almost impossible to break. It could mean the coin that was worth a pretty penn...
5.3K 186 20
It's basically the Broadway Newsies, except it's told from Race's POV. Also some Sprace (Spot x Race) stuff.
10.7K 213 21
4 A/N chapters "But I'm tiny" "You're a Conlon you're short" June Conlon started living in the "Manhattan orphanage for boys and girls" ever since...