Unmasked

By RejectWriter

Unmasked (A Cinderella Story): Mary Anabel is treated like a slave to her mother and sisters. Then one day... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
When They Found Each Other Again
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41- THE END

Chapter 34

1.2K 37 3
By RejectWriter

-unedited-

Chapter 34:

I was too afraid to come out but I knew I would be in trouble if I didn't. Yet would they really get mad at me, they were there they should understand. Don't they?

"Mary," I look up from my shaking hands to see Mariah, "come back out, you handle the Queen's dish."

She takes a hold of my hand and helps me to my feet.

"Sorry," she gives me a sympathetic smile, "I guess you weren't ready for this."

I shake my head.

"It's my fault, I insisted staying by your side," I look down at where hand still holds mine, despite everything that happened, she holds it softly, comforting me, "I'm sorry."

"You followed my orders," she lets go of my hand and turns to head out the door, looking back at me to follow, "you didn't utter a word, despite it all."

Still follow it, I read in her eyes as we're back out. The tension in the room was still present but it seemed different.

I sneak a glance at William, just about getting ready to leave, first and then the family, they avoided each other's eyes. I suddenly didn't look forward to serving on their side now.

"Just pick up the plates," Mariah whispers to me quickly as she moves past me and on her way towards William.

She switched with me, she's too kind.

I slowly make my way over towards the queen, only looking at her plate.
William hides a smile as begins to turn around, "Let's have one of these again I certainty enjoyed this one!"

"I'm sure you did," answers the prince.

I gently pick up her still full plate, careful not to bump into her she looks in my direction and I try my best not to look back at her.

The doors open from the outside and a familiar young girl runs in and immediately stands by William's side. The same girl from before, the one who ran away from me, except she's in different clothes.

The girl is longer in a maid's outfit but in royal clothes similar to William's.

"Who is that girl?" The queen demands, making me jump.

"Oh her," William motions towards the girl standing beside him with a blank expression on her face, "she's my sister."

The girl smiles widely at Queen and the others, winking only at me. I feel them looking at me again.

Mariah sends me a look and I quickly follow her to the cart, each of us leaving the plates on there.

"Someone lead him out," the king orders, waving his hand away.

"Now come on, we aren't bitter are we?" As William teases I feel a hand on my back, slightly pushing me forward.

"Go," Mariah tells me in a hushed voice.

I look back at the other maids, frozen in place staring at me, then back at Mariah, shaking my head.

"Follow my orders," she hisses. With another slight push forward, I make my way towards the prince and princess and begin to lead them out.

"Thank you, I will come again," William gives one final wave and I look back at my prince before closing the doors behind us.

Halfway through the trip I realized: I didn't know where I was going. Another thing I realized was that they did, especially the girl.

At the halfway mark I was simply following them as they made their exit, trying to remember the path so that I could get back.

"You did well," William says suddenly as he looks back at me, "for not knowing what was going on."

I only stare at him, cautious.

"You can speak here, not like anyone is listening," he reassures with a small grin.

"What was going on?" I ask, my voice unintentionally shaking.

"A strategy," he looks back forward, not explaining anything else.

"A strategy for what?" I walk faster so that I catch up and walk next to him.

"Don't worry yourself about it, nothing involving common house-maids like yourself, or should I say," he glances upward toward the seemingly never ending ceiling, dotted with glowing chandeliers that can mimic the stars, "castle-maid."

"Did you purposely make him mad?" I manage to find the strength in my voice. My eyes search his face, trying to find anything that can tell me what he's thinking.

"Who the king?" he looks back down at me with a smirk and a mischevious look in his eyes, "Or his son?"

I swallow, "Both."

He let's out a laugh and just continues forward. I stand there dazed for a moment but then quickly follow his lead.

"You're cute," the girl's voice disrupts the silence between us.

"Oh," I look towards her direction ahead of both of us, my eyes avoid her gaze, "thank you."

"I see it."

"Told you so," William responds to his sister with with pride.

"Why do you have her coming into this castle?" I ask.

"That goes into the things you shouldn't worry about, princess," his voice is indifferent, "just know that everything I do has a purpose."

Princess. I feel my face getting warm then I thank the heaven's when we finally reach the entrance.

It's another set a grand, marvel doors except this one has the royal emblem on the center of each coated in gold.

"This where we leave off, little one," he turns to face me then comes closer.

I'm frozen in place as he lightly touches my chin and smiles. I look over to his sister only to see that she's already gone, like a little mythical being who can so easily disappear.

"Learn to keep your hands to yourself," the familiar voice gets me to finally move away from him.

"Aw come on, I was only teasing." William shrugs at my Prince as walks up behind me, stopping as soon as he's near me.

Behind William I hear his sister let out a laugh but she is still no where in sight.

"Be well," he nods to me then turns, "I'll be back, your highness."

We watch him as he disappears behind the door, I almost jump at the sudden fingers brushing up against my side.

"Are you okay?" he asks me softly, looking into my eyes for any signs that could say otherwise.

I nod, unable to say yes. It was moment in time that I never want to relive and his unwanted touches are sure to haunt me for a while, but I can't cry over it. I can't make him worry.

"I'm sorry," he lets out an exhausted breath, running his hand through his hair as he does, "I should've done something, anything, if only I...."

His voice trails off and he grabs my hands, pulling me closer towards him until he leans his head against mine.

I try to keep my breath and heart beat steady. We've been this close before, it's okay, it's okay.

"I really didn't like seeing him touch you, Mary," he admits, "it took me a lot to hold back and not risk anything."

I was about to ask him what he meant by that until I realized: He didn't want to risk exposing us. Even if he wants to let everyone know about us, I don't, so he stays quiet.

"It's okay," I tell him and mean it, "it's not your fault."

I stare into his eyes and smile, trying to reassure him. It's mine.

He doesn't say anything in response, instead he pulls me in and holds me, tighter than he usually has.

"Don't let him touch you," he quickly adds, after a moment of silence.

"I won't." I wouldn't want him to. Either way, I hope I don't have to cross paths with him again.

I glance back towards the hallway I came from, instantly realizing I forgot my way back, that or I never memorized what the path was from here to there.

"I have to get back now," I mutter, still looking back.

He frowns but doesn't say anything still, I can tell his disapproval of the idea by the look in his eyes asking me not to.

I answer him the same way I always do.

"Okay," he answers reluctantly, moving away from my slowly but still holding on to my hand gently.

"Thank you," for back there and right now. One day, I'll pay him back and do something for him that would make him happy.

"You need to stop thanking me," he begins to head back down the hallway, "of course I'd do things for you."

I take another deep breath in hopes of self control, it fails.

My eyes wander down to our hands and I stare at them, giving myself something to focus on.

When we make our way back I'm the first one to let go but not before squeezing, letting him know my gratitude.

~*~

"Well that dinner was truly something," Mariah greets me back in the kitchen, a cheer in her voice.

It must have been hours later, I quickly left the Prince with a kiss on his cheek following after the last maid who was in the room. The family was gone and the servants were just done cleaning.

I managed my way back but I lost Mariah, so I was unsure of where to be and what to do. Everyone was gone and now night has fallen. It was only me and a deserted kitchen.

"It was," I avoid looking her in the eyes. Part of it felt like it was my fault, for being involved with them and making Mariah feel responsible.

"Any doubts I may have about you and the Prince is all gone now," she pats me in the back as she moves to stand in my line of sight, "if anybody else figures out you might get into more trouble like that."

I swallow, "I know."

She suddenly leans in and whispers into my ear, "Be careful, Mary."

"I will," I whisper back to her. I have been. Maybe even too careful.

She leans back and looks at me with a hint of saddness in her eyes along with a weak smile.

"That's not what I meant." With that, she leaves me alone to my thoughts.

Normally she jokes but this time it didn't feel like she did. Only a few moments later, I hear footsteps.

"Hello?" Silence.

I walk out into the hall and I see the same girl as I did before, William's sister, again in a maid's uniform.

"It's you," I gasp, watching as she stops in her tracks and turns back to look at me.

She looked like she was in a hurry, her eyes were wide and she was breathing heavily. No, she looked like she was running away from something.

"You'll cover for me right?" She asks, her voice weak and shaking.

"Yes," I say without thinking.

With that she turns around and runs away, disappearing before I have the chance to react.

Cover for her? Cover for what? Fear begins to rise within me. The last time I agreed to cover for someone, it made me a servant.

I'll protect you from anything. His words come back to me. Is it selfish of me to hope he's right?

I turn and run back to my room, my safe place.

···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···...···

Hello friends! Thank you for putting up with the constant waiting, I know, I know it's fustrating!!!

Quick notes:

1. I republished Eunoia for those who were hooked into it. I just wanted to make sure of some things

2. For any older audience members I have a expiremental vampire story out right now I did tag it as mature content so be warned.

3. I have a Writing blog for anyone (especially writers) who is interested in learning how to become better at writing (along with me). It's not the greatest writing blog but it's more of a journey for me and I welcome anyone to tag along. Just search up [REMOVED] and there I will be ^·^ on there you can send me messages, notes, whatever you like and I'll see it.

Thank you for reading. Have a nice day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 15 42
~After a young girl loses both her parents and is left stranded with her cruel stepmother and mean stepsisters, she finds herself in a horrible envir...
8.9K 806 14
You've heard the story of Cinderella-- how she conquered the odds, danced at the ball, and married the prince. That's mostly accurate, except for th...
Smeared By Sam

Historical Fiction

64.5K 4.2K 27
A pair of fraternal twins are taken into a prestigious noble family to maintain good face in the snobbish aristocracy. When the brother suddenly fall...
78 8 8
Seven years after an unlucky incident , Lily meets her highschool best friend and her teenage crush in an peculiar turn of events.Her friend who has...